The Official KCUMB Class of 2012 Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha winters are pretty brutal. 50 degrees is nothing. Last year at home in good ol western kansas, we had a record breaking winter. 30+ inches of snow on top of a layer of ice. 5000, yes FIVE THOUSAND downed power lines. We were without power and water for about 10 days. That was fun, I remember doing EK VR 101 by candlelight. HAHA

Thanks.

Are you also that guy that says "How about this heat?" on days when it's 110 degrees outside?

J/K

I know it's going to get bad.

Members don't see this ad.

im from rochester, ny, im pretty sure its not colder in kc than it is here.. last night got into the 20s for the first time this year and its barely nov.

i keep KC and Pomona weather on my iphone for kicks, kc has it easy right now..

70 this weekend? pshh

Just got my acceptance. I interviewed on 25 October and live in K.C. so for the people that interviewed on or around that date, your letters should be in the mail. (Mine was postmarked the 5th).

LSU, you are going to freeze to death up here. Take it from a displaced Tulanian.

Well, I didn't live in Louisiana my whole life... I actually spent quite a few years in Massachusetts... I love the cold. I just don't like to shovel snow... it's pretty till it's gray... then you find some neighborhood kid to do the work for ya. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED BABY!!!!!!

Finally a class thread to belong to for now. yays.

Right on!! Accepted to KCUMB, canceling other interviews!!

Congrats. Im glad your happy with KCUMB. Judging by your screename, I anticipate to meet you in CMDA. :thumbup:

So what chiristian organizations are available at KCUMB? For that matter, what minority organizations are available?

Congrats. Im glad your happy with KCUMB. Judging by your screename, I anticipate to meet you in CMDA. :thumbup:
Yeah, I haven't checked into it much, but plan on joining. See ya there!:thumbup:

where do the jews go?

jzeidenb, these couple of people are talking about what's important to them, but don't think for a second you won't find a small jewish population at KCUMB.

KCUMB is a tolerant community and has all kinds of people.

I really felt this way about the school from my interview. They made me feel like they really cared about finding a diverse and tolerant student body who cares about the ethics of medicine and the anth/psych of treating patients. No other school could compare with this and ethics and cultural competency are very important to me.

So, I'll be putting my deposit down when I get paid and, at this point in time, plan on being a part of the class 2012. I'm really excited to meet everyone in August.

jzeidenb, these couple of people are talking about what's important to them, but don't think for a second you won't find a small jewish population at KCUMB.

Hey, thanks for the comment. It wasn't my intent to offend anyone with my question. But when you look at the landscape of medicine, African-American participation is pretty low. I currently work in an environment where I am the sole one (or 1/2 since I am bi-racial). So it's a natural question to wonder if their are others who share my background. However, it's ok if we go all South Park... just don't make me wear the shirt with the "T". :p

Out of all the schools I interviewed at, KCUMB definitely gave me the strongest impression of "we are a family." I look forward to experiencing that feeling as a part of the Class of 2012. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I really felt this way about the school from my interview. They made me feel like they really cared about finding a diverse and tolerant student body who cares about the ethics of medicine and the anth/psych of treating patients. No other school could compare with this and ethics and cultural competency are very important to me.

So, I'll be putting my deposit down when I get paid and, at this point in time, plan on being a part of the class 2012. I'm really excited to meet everyone in August.

t-funk, If I remember correctly, you had said that you were interested in joining Osteopera? I am in that group, and I highly recommend it! :thumbup:

t-funk, If I remember correctly, you had said that you were interested in joining Osteopera? I am in that group, and I highly recommend it! :thumbup:

I definately plan on joining depending on if it meets during the day or a time where I still feel safe going to my car. It sounds fun.

i thought i was making a joke, you guys will have to get used to jokes if youre in class with me lol

i thought i was making a joke, you guys will have to get used to jokes if youre in class with me lol

Jokes are cool. I just wanted to make sure I didn't insult anyone with the question. But see you made a mistake... now that I know I can joke with you, it's not going to stop. My co-workers have been the victims of this fact for 3 years now. :D

Ok, I was reading an earlier post. What is osteopera? I hope everyone is enjoying the short week and has a safe Thanksgiving. Look for my "Hey CBS, I got into medical school!" sign at the LSU-Arkansas game! :hardy:

Jokes are cool. I just wanted to make sure I didn't insult anyone with the question. But see you made a mistake... now that I know I can joke with you, it's not going to stop. My co-workers have been the victims of this fact for 3 years now. :D

Ok, I was reading an earlier post. What is osteopera? I hope everyone is enjoying the short week and has a safe Thanksgiving. Look for my "Hey CBS, I got into medical school!" sign at the LSU-Arkansas game! :hardy:

Below is a description taken directly from the website. The girl that I stayed with said that they did a Christmas program and other stuff. Other than that, I don't know much. Maybe Pakamylase can be a little more specific.

Osteopera
Osteopera is a student musical group dedicated to educating its audiences about osteopathic medicine, caring, and health in the belief that music has the power to touch, to inspire and to promote healing. Osteopera has performed at school assemblies presented by Score One for Health and at the annual MAOPS convention in addition to performing several recitals on campus for faculty, staff and students.

Below is a description taken directly from the website. The girl that I stayed with said that they did a Christmas program and other stuff. Other than that, I don't know much. Maybe Pakamylase can be a little more specific.

Osteopera
Osteopera is a student musical group dedicated to educating its audiences about osteopathic medicine, caring, and health in the belief that music has the power to touch, to inspire and to promote healing. Osteopera has performed at school assemblies presented by Score One for Health and at the annual MAOPS convention in addition to performing several recitals on campus for faculty, staff and students.

Interesting, so you're a singer then? Or does this group also involve instruments?

Are there any avid golfers out there? I'm absolutely horrible, but I love it so. San Antonio is great for that. There's a million courses around here with excellent elevation changes (didn't get that in Louisiana... all flat in the bayou). Only drawback is between noon and 3pm, you golf at your own risk of heat stroke. Oh, and rattlesnakes in the rough at the quarry... seriously. What's the golf situation around Kansas City?

lol its on, prepare for the OFFENSIVE JOKES

Interesting, so you're a singer then? Or does this group also involve instruments?

Are there any avid golfers out there? I'm absolutely horrible, but I love it so. San Antonio is great for that. There's a million courses around here with excellent elevation changes (didn't get that in Louisiana... all flat in the bayou). Only drawback is between noon and 3pm, you golf at your own risk of heat stroke. Oh, and rattlesnakes in the rough at the quarry... seriously. What's the golf situation around Kansas City?

I'm not sure if they have instrumentalists. I actually majored in music for a year with the intent of privately teaching. I have allergies that I don't medicate though so it's very on/off for me. I would have to say it is a major passion that I probably would have pursued more if I didn't have the allergy crap to deal with. I'm hoping that they aren't too picky about skill level so that it won't be a big deal. I'm assuming you play trumpet. I played French Horn in high school and college and occasionally trumpet and tuba when needed. It was a lot of fun.

I'm not sure if they have instrumentalists. I actually majored in music for a year with the intent of privately teaching. I have allergies that I don't medicate though so it's very on/off for me. I would have to say it is a major passion that I probably would have pursued more if I didn't have the allergy crap to deal with. I'm hoping that they aren't too picky about skill level so that it won't be a big deal. I'm assuming you play trumpet. I played French Horn in high school and college and occasionally trumpet and tuba when needed. It was a lot of fun.

I'm sure it won't be like American Idol tryouts or anything. From what I've been reading on the kcumb website, they are big into getting students to participate in the extras. So, I'm sure they would be happy to have you. And yes, ma'am... I've been a trumpet player since I was 11. I never really fit into the whole "band" thing in school cause I've always had my own idea of how I should sound. So I'd mimic the folks I considered to be great (Wynton, Louis, Nick Payton [a New Orleans guy inspired by Louis], Cheatham, et al.). Anyway, I don't play as much as I use to. It use to be an everyday thing for me, but that's tapered off to about a once a month/every other month thing. Supposedly KC is good for jazz. So KC locals, any suggestions on jazz bars? Anything in KC similiar to Frenchmen St. in New Orleans?

LSU Alex and t-funk, the Osteopera is the school's choir that is open to anyone. We have a piano for some pieces, and one of our member's did a flute solo for another. Otherwise, there really aren't any instruments. But if someone plays the flute or the violin, I'm sure that can be arranged.

And yes, ma'am... I've been a trumpet player since I was 11. I never really fit into the whole "band" thing in school cause I've always had my own idea of how I should sound. So I'd mimic the folks I considered to be great (Wynton, Louis, Nick Payton [a New Orleans guy inspired by Louis], Cheatham, et al.). Anyway, I don't play as much as I use to. It use to be an everyday thing for me, but that's tapered off to about a once a month/every other month thing. Supposedly KC is good for jazz. So KC locals, any suggestions on jazz bars? Anything in KC similiar to Frenchmen St. in New Orleans?

That's kind of the same reason why I eventually stopped singing. I liked vocals more but felt more comfortable in band. Anyway, KC is supposedly well-know for its jazz and I love blues, so I plan on checking out the local music scene at least a little if I move down there. Good BBQ ain't bad either.

for those of you on facebook, we have a facebook group and i encourage you to join. if you dont have facebook, now is the perfect time to register so that you can add new friends you meet when school starts.

the direct link to the KCUMB class of 2012 can be found here:

http://rochester.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25883625544

if that doesnt work, send me a PM and ill figure out why

... deleted this question... found an answer else where... imagine that, more than one KCUMB forum.

thanks to those who joined the facebook group, its cool to finally see some faces im gonna be stuck lookin at for the next 4 years.

lol jk :p

bump. Dont forget we gotta facebook group. Feel free to join.

Hello! Congrats on being accepted! KCUMB is an awesome school and I'm sure you're going to really love it.

So I'm wondering, is anyone interested in my 3 story two bedroom townhouse located in Riverside, MO? These townhouses are filled with other medical students from KCUMB and some UMKC students as well.

I'm moving to Florida for my rotations third year so I'll be moving out this summer!

It's a great deal in an awesome neighborhood ten minutes from school with a lot of highway access. It's a co-op so you purchase into the townhouse and then you get income based rent when you leave you resell it for your purchase price + equity.

I pay less than what other students pay for 3 times the space and I really love it here.

If anyone is interested please e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks!
Amber

Just wanted to throw myself out there as a resource for you incoming students. Congratulations and welcome. Now enjoy your "free" time before it gets sucked away by the busy-ness of school. ;)

quick question: in the packet that had the hep-b and credit check info.. it also said to send our transcripts to them. Do they seriously want me to do this again? I already graduated before the process even started with no new classes taken since.

also, i got the hep vac last year bc i almost did a special master's prog but then backed out of it.. u only have to get that once right?

Just wanted to throw myself out there as a resource for you incoming students. Congratulations and welcome. Now enjoy your "free" time before it gets sucked away by the busy-ness of school. ;)

the welcome letter listed some text book for us to read over the summer as recommended reading. How crucial do you think this is?

quick question: in the packet that had the hep-b and credit check info.. it also said to send our transcripts to them. Do they seriously want me to do this again? I already graduated before the process even started with no new classes taken since.

also, i got the hep vac last year bc i almost did a special master's prog but then backed out of it.. u only have to get that once right?

As long as you had the 3-shot series, you should be good.

the welcome letter listed some text book for us to read over the summer as recommended reading. How crucial do you think this is?

Not crucial at all. I never read them and those who did said they weren't spectacularly helpful. If you made it this far, chances are you are going to be fine with medical terminology. You'll pick it up just fine without reading that stuff. In fact, I'd say your free time right now is at a premium; spend time having some fun and do some LEISURE reading (which you'll never have the time to do when you start).

It's imperative that you send them (the school) all your official post-secondary transcripts; it's a requirement for matriculation, as it is with most schools. Do it without fail.

The credit check is required, but it is essentially a formality. They are just trying to help you assess your ability to get private loans, should they be necessary. They use the information to work with you on securing funds.

Hep B? Yes, get them all; you need the series of three, as it is outlined. Also, you'll need a quantitative Hep B titer. They'll need all documentation of the shots plus the lab report showing the quantitative Hep B titer (which is hopefully, positive). In a normal situation, I think if the titer is negative, you'll need to restart the series and redo all three, but it's been a while since I've reviewed the immunization form, so I don't know for sure if I'm remembering it correctly (you have to do something differently if it's negative, but I don't recall exactly what it is; thankfully, you'll be getting an immunization form with directions soon). In your particularly case, I don't know what the recommended, or proper, course of action is, since you presumably took your first shot a while ago, but didn't continue with the series. I recommend calling the admission office and asking them about it, or talk to your doctor about what you need to do. The admissions staff is very friendly and helpful.

jzeidenb- I got the first 2 out of 3 hep-b vacs about 5 years ago. They just pick up where you left off and I went and got the 3rd one about 1 month ago. You don't have to start over. I'm now just waiting until I can get the titer.

So Class of 2012.... How long after you sent in your second deposit were you receiving info from KCUMB?

I received info about 1 week after I sent in my 1st deposit. I have not yet sent in my second.

i havent gotten any literature requesting my second deposit so until i do...

Yeah, it's not due until about March 15th, I think. I still to repay the person I borrowed the first deposit from before I even think about the 2nd one.

Is anyone thinking they want a roommate and want to live outside of CT? I would like to know where many KCUMB students tend to end up as far as apartment complexes or other living communities in the Kansas City area go.

I would like to know where many KCUMB students tend to end up as far as apartment complexes or other living communities in the Kansas City area go.

I think the vast majority of folks live in the CT. I don't know how to describe the trends for folks who do not choose to live in the CT (the demographics have not revealed themselves to me). I can tell you that I know some folks who live north of the city and some folks who choose to commute from Overland Park, KS (some folks really like the area, but it is a bit far from campus for me). I live in North Kansas City, which is just a few minutes north of campus in a good apartment complex; it seems like there are other students who live in the same complex. However, there are lots of decent places in the vicinity of North Kansas City, Gladstone, Liberty, Riverside, and nearby. You may want to check them out. These areas seem to be resonably priced, are close to campus, and have easy access to stores and such. I bet there are some folks who live just south of the city as well, in or around Westport. This seems like a pretty nice looking area, too. In terms of downtown, I heard somewhere that the River Market area is pretty decent. I'd probably steer clear of the area directly around campus, however. The neighborhood is a bit rough. I know of one person who actually lives near campus, which seems kind of scary to me. :laugh:

Anyway, that's about as much as I know about this subject.

Do the nice apartments in NKC include Sunny Hills and French Quarters? City View seems nice but probably too expensive.

Hey guys, congrats on getting accepted to KCUMB. I'm an MSI here, living in CT, so if you guys have questions let me know, and I will try to get back to you.

I will say, don't waste time and money on the terminology book, and enjoy your time before school. I quit my job a month before school and got bored part of the way through, but when school started I definitely missed those days.

Yeah, it's not due until about March 15th, I think. I still to repay the person I borrowed the first deposit from before I even think about the 2nd one.

Your kids are adorable t-funk. Isn't it amazing how quickly they grown up. I can't believe how old mine is sometimes.

Your kids are adorable t-funk. Isn't it amazing how quickly they grown up. I can't believe how old mine is sometimes.

Thanks. Yeah, they do grow up quickly. Personally, I'm kind of excited for my younger one to get out of the terrible twos. He has more energy than any kid I've ever met but so sweet at the same time. How old is yours? It's too bad you aren't coming to KCUMB so we could have a mother's study group or something. Good luck in New Jersey, right? I'm sure it will be great.

Thanks. Yeah, they do grow up quickly. Personally, I'm kind of excited for my younger one to get out of the terrible twos. He has more energy than any kid I've ever met but so sweet at the same time. How old is yours? It's too bad you aren't coming to KCUMB so we could have a mother's study group or something. Good luck in New Jersey, right? I'm sure it will be great.

I'm sure our little ones could play together while we studied, or pretended to anyway, knowing how they can be at that age!

I am not sure where I'm going to end up, and I figure I have until March to decide. I loved/still love KCUMB for so so so many reasons. New Jersey happened kinda late in the game for me. I really liked both places, but for very different reasons. At KCUMB, I'm just worried about having to move for years 3/4. That, and my husband thinks jobs are better in NJ than KS for him. It's a hard balancing job, choosing what is right for me as a med student, and what also works for the rest of the family. I'm lucky enough to have the acceptances, it's just a matter of finding the best place for all of us now. We are going to visit both places again in the next month --- I just hope there are no more bad storms while we are visiting. Last time we had to find a hotel on the other side of town b/c we were out of power for 6 hours, which is hard in a hotel with a toddler.

my birthday is on 8/8, i should totally throw a party for CT :p