The Official June 21, 2012 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adele358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people make this thread for their MCAT date. I was unable to find one for this date so I took the liberty to make one. Please share what you have found works or does not work for you?

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT Prep Material: Kaplan and AAMC practices, oh and Kahn Academy was my best friend for difficult concepts that I couldn't understand.
AAMC average: 28
Kaplan Average: 28
Prediction: 28
Actual: 28R

Physical: 10
Verbal: 7 <---- lol wtf :laugh: What a joke! How annoying!
Bio: 11

Stupid verbal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever. I'm not taking it again. I'm happy. Fate will place me where I'm meant to be! Glad this waiting game is over!

remember u said my move to retake on july was kinda crazy...well, i predicted right, i messed up the verbal LULZ

remember u said my move to retake on july was kinda crazy...well, i predicted right, i messed up the verbal LULZ

You could have chosen to schedule your retake for the 26th or 27th so you knew how the first attempt went before deciding whether or not to go through with the retake. You could have kept reviewing content during that month of waiting which would have actually made the wait not feel so bad because you would have felt like you were being proactive in case of a bad result.

You clearly can do well on science tests, but that choice seems unwise..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT: 29N
V- 11
BS - 9
PS - 9

GPA 3.91

What do you think my chances are of getting into an in-state Texas school this cycle?:scared:

>32

Stoked about the 14.

Surprised about the S. I wrote the essays rather quickly.

Super surprised by my score. I took 2 practice. 1 a week before the test and got a 27, the 2nd was the day before the test and got a 30. Studied 13 hours a day for the week before the test - did bio in 2 days, physics in 2 days, gen chem, verbal, and o chem one day each.

Was the afternoon test fwiw.

Last edited:
wow... how did you pull that one off? we have around the same average, but you nailed it!!! Good job!

How did I score 6-7 points above my average score? I'm still not sure but if I had to pinpoint it to one thing it would be the Kaplan section tests. I ran out of practice AAMC tests about 3 weeks before my test date and I followed the advice of someone on this forum to just use the crap out of Kaplan's online materials until my exam. So I did section tests every other day until my test day and I think it really helped. I also did almost every Kaplan quiz and a few subject tests but I really found the section tests to be most helpful. Those section tests are super dense and difficult and I think it was great preparation for those tough experimental passages on test day. I definitely did not expect to hit a 40 but it's probably a combination of confidence + practice + a smidge of luck. Gotta stay motivated/confident and just keep pushing!!!

Congrats to all who are done and good luck everyone who will be retaking!! :):)

Last edited:
MCAT: 29N
V- 11
BS - 9
PS - 9

GPA 3.91

What do you think my chances are of getting into an in-state Texas school this cycle?:scared:

Your GPA is high and your MCAT is median for 2-4 schools, so 40% for MD, above average for DO, imho. Although it may be a long application process for you since you won't be the first pick of med schools.

Ahhh. I don't like this. Haha. Who ever was upset from too good of a score?!? My GPA and MCAT makes me very competitive for DO schools, it's probably too late for any MD right now though. I have been planning on pod for so long and now everyone I talk to is calling me stupid not to go to DO schools. Ahhhhhh.

I am seeking some advice on what to do based on my MCAT scores that were released today. I submitted my primary about 11 days ago, thinking I am going to apply this cycle. It has not been verified yet. My MCAT scores were not as good as I had hoped. I had been averaging about 29 on my practice scores, so I was thinking if I got right around there I would be fine considering my GPA (3.95), shadowing and decent ECs. I scored a 26 (9 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS). Clearly, some work needs to be done. I was wondering if retaking the MCAT in late August/early September should be my number one option? Or should I just wait a year, withdraw my application (taking anatomy and biochem this semester) and strengthen my application for the next cycle? I believe my application this cycle is decent and with the right MCAT score I can get in; I just don't know if its too late. A year off would give me the opportunity to work on some weak areas like more clinical experience. I just am contemplating my next move at this point, and any advice would be very helpful. Trying to stay positive right now :)...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am seeking some advice on what to do based on my MCAT scores that were released today. I submitted my primary about 11 days ago, thinking I am going to apply this cycle. It has not been verified yet. My MCAT scores were not as good as I had hoped. I had been averaging about 29 on my practice scores, so I was thinking if I got right around there I would be fine considering my GPA (3.95), shadowing and decent ECs. I scored a 26 (9 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS). Clearly, some work needs to be done. I was wondering if retaking the MCAT in late August/early September should be my number one option? Or should I just wait a year, withdraw my application (taking anatomy and biochem this semester) and strengthen my application for the next cycle? I believe my application this cycle is decent and with the right MCAT score I can get in; I just don't know if its too late. A year off would give me the opportunity to work on some weak areas like more clinical experience. I just am contemplating my next move at this point, and any advice would be very helpful. Trying to stay positive right now :)...

I'd wait a year. You want to give yourself the best options possible. With a 3.95 and a potentially better MCAT, you could get into better schools. I scored a pretty balanced 26 also (4 pts above my practice test average though). I'm going to take the MCAT early next year, work on improving my ECs, get a job, and have my app in on day 1! Here's to staying positive!!

Ahhh. I don't like this. Haha. Who ever was upset from too good of a score?!? My GPA and MCAT makes me very competitive for DO schools, it's probably too late for any MD right now though. I have been planning on pod for so long and now everyone I talk to is calling me stupid not to go to DO schools. Ahhhhhh.

yeah man, why do pod when your scores are more than good enough for DO and could possibly even land you an MD? unless you really love pod, then i would understand...

I got a 25
9 phys
7 verbal
9 bio.

Grrr if it wasn't for verbal I'd have a good score for DO school! Anyone that did well on verbal, HOW DID YOU DO IT??!

MCAT Prep Material: TBR only
AAMC average: 32ish with a high of 33 four times
Prediction: 27-38 (I like to cast a wide net)
Actual: 34S (11/11/12)

First thoughts? ER-MAH-GERD. I seriously couldn't believe my score when I first logged in. I never got higher than a 33 in any practice test, so I almost flipped out of my chair when I saw that 34. For those who still have this test looming over them (LURRRKERRRSSSS) try not to worry too much. Obviously it's easier for me to say that but I got so burnt out studying that I stopped enjoying the material. Cheers guys, hope to see some of you soon :)

Screw what everyone else says and do what YOU want!

Decided I'm gonna roll with my 28 I think, with my GPA that chart still says I have a 50% shot, so I'mma do it.

I'd wait a year. You want to give yourself the best options possible. With a 3.95 and a potentially better MCAT, you could get into better schools. I scored a pretty balanced 26 also (4 pts above my practice test average though). I'm going to take the MCAT early next year, work on improving my ECs, get a job, and have my app in on day 1! Here's to staying positive!!

My gut feeling is that taking a "gap year" is not necessarily the best idea, but I'm not sure. I just wish I would've gotten a 28, I would've rolled with a 28. :(

My gut feeling is that taking a "gap year" is not necessarily the best idea, but I'm not sure. I just wish I would've gotten a 28, I would've rolled with a 28. :(

Same here. I wanted a 28 at least. If you don't mind DO, I think you will definitely get a lot interviews if you apply DO. I just feel like a 26 is REALLY cutting it for MD schools.

At least your probably not as old as me. I'm already 23 ...eek. I probably will be 25 when I start medical school.

I am totally devastated with my scores!

Jan '10 22O (took all AAMC practice tests averaged 26.5)

Jul '11 25Q (took all AAMC practice tests and averaged 28.2)

Jun '12 23R (took all AAMC practice tests and averaged 29.8)

I wouldn't have taken the test if I wasn't scoring in the ballpark of when I where I was hoping to score. I don't know what to do. I want to retake but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. By the way I don't feel nervous when I'm taking the test.

What are your experiences with practice tests and comparing practice test averages to actual scores?

What would you recommend for me? re-take or not?

I was told actual scores should be about 2 points plus or minus from the practice average, is that not the rule anymore?

Same here. I wanted a 28 at least. If you don't mind DO, I think you will definitely get a lot interviews if you apply DO. I just feel like a 26 is REALLY cutting it for MD schools.

At least your probably not as old as me. I'm already 23 ...eek. I probably will be 25 when I start medical school.

22 :(. I feel like I should strive for MD though. Not that taking the DO route is an easy way out. I just feel like I would be cheating myself by not going for MD. 26 is REALLY cutting it. Does anyone know if you still get interviews with a 26 and high gpa? Of course they are going to tell you to retake and raise your score.

Since no one else will...

MCAT Prep Material: Kaplan and AAMC stuff only
Kaplan Average: 33
AAMC average: 31
Prediction: 29

Actual: ...

Actual: 33M :) 12/10/11. My highest AAMC was 32 and my highest Kaplan was 38 but that was an outlier. I'll take my 33!

Not so sure about the M... Coming out of the test, I would have said I did best on the writing :rolleyes:

Thoughts on my chances at TMDSAS schools? My uGPA was 3.73 and sGPA 3.59

(I realize I should probably post this in the WAMC thread but I feel closer to y'all :D)

Vr: 14
Ps: 9
Bs: 10
Ws: S

**** yea. Stoked about the 14. Expected worse than a 9. Was hoping for the 10 but prepared for a 8-9.

Surprised as **** about the S. I wrote one essay in 15 minutes and the other in 10 minutes because I couldn't think of anything else to write.

Super surprised by my score. I took 2 practice. 1 a week before the test and got a 27, the 2nd was the day before the test and got a 30. Studied 13 hours a day for the week before the test - did bio in 2 days, physics in 2 days, gen chem, verbal, and o chem one day each.

Was the afternoon test fwiw.

your verbal score is ******ed. i don't know how thats possible. yes I'm envious because i would've done great if it wasn't for my 6 in verbal.. and 13 hours a week before the test is ******ed, u must be a goddam genius or Rainman incarnate. but the use of that exotic acronym is leading me toward idiot savant/computer haxor

Jul ’11 25Q (took all AAMC practice tests and averaged 28.2)

Jun ’12 23R (took all AAMC practice tests and averaged 29.8)

I wouldn’t have taken the test if I wasn’t scoring in the ballpark of when I where I was hoping to score. I don’t know what to do. I want to retake but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. By the way I don’t feel nervous when I’m taking the test.

What are your experiences with practice tests and comparing practice test averages to actual scores?

I was told actual scores should be about 2 points plus or minus from the practice average, is that not the rule anymore?

What are your subscores? I got a 26 and ended up scoring 4-5 pts above my AAMC average. Obviously, I still plan on retaking my test. I think the reason I scored higher on the real thing was because I didn't simulate the real test environment at home. There was always noise or some distraction when I was taking a full length. It's hard to take a full length when 4 people are living in a small one story house. You can hear everything! Maybe you weren't exactly simulating test day conditions when taking full lengths.

For you people that scored high on your sciences, did you for sure know you got a few wrong yet still scored high, or did you feel as you did after a normal aamc fl

your verbal score is ******ed. i don't know how thats possible. yes I'm envious because i would've done great if it wasn't for my 6 in verbal.. and 13 hours a week before the test is ******ed, u must be a goddam genius or Rainman incarnate. but the use of that exotic acronym is leading me toward idiot savant/computer haxor

To be honest I have always done well on standardized english tests. 5s on my AP tests in HS, 780 on my SAT english. Scored 10,12 on my two practice MCATS. It also helped that I was familiar with the topics on all but one passage. I actually think I read some sections of one of the books used in a course in college. I know we read from the author at least.

Carried around TBR books for 4 months and only did the first bio book. Borrowed EK and went through them quickly since they are so short. Physics sucked for me since I mainly just memorized all the newtonian physics equations and then didn't use one on the whole section.

this is gonna sound craaaazy but my actual score is 15 points lower than my aamc average!!
I don't even know how it's possible..my actual score is the same as my diagnostic score (the first practice I took before studying) ...I have no clue what happened there

I am retaking Sep 1st in hope to still be able to get in this cycle. I already submitted my primary app and I will start studying tomorrow for the Sep 1st exam

For you people that scored high on your sciences, did you for sure know you got a few wrong yet still scored high, or did you feel as you did after a normal aamc fl

I knew for sure I got a few wrong on each science section. Wasn't expecting to do as well as I did

this is gonna sound craaaazy but my actual score is 15 points lower than my aamc average!!
I don't even know how it's possible..my actual score is the same as my diagnostic score (the first practice I took before studying) ...I have no clue what happened there

I am retaking Sep 1st in hope to still be able to get in this cycle. I already submitted my primary app and I will start studying tomorrow for the Sep 1st exam

did u have a panic attack, were extremely nervous or couldn't focus?

15pts below ur avg, seems very strange...I'd ask for a rescore if u felt like u got a much higher score.

Wow. We are the same person evidently. Just got a 26 on the MCAT and I'm already 23 as well. I'm already registered to retake August 17--hope that's enough time to study--and I think I'm just going to submit what I have next month. If I don't get it, which is likely I guess. My GPA is 3.66 and I have several thousand hours of research experience (applying to MD/PhD so that will be good), but I'm in a PhD program and I want to drop this one to get in an MD/PhD program, but people keep telling me to just finish my PhD and then try for med school. If I don't get in this cycle, I'm gonna have to make that decision. :/ I came to the conclusion awhile back that a PhD is just a useless degree for me because all of the career options suck...combined with an MD I have wayyy more options

did u have a panic attack, were extremely nervous or couldn't focus?

15pts below ur avg, seems very strange...I'd ask for a rescore if u felt like u got a much higher score.

I had a migraine and I had not slept the night before (just couldn't fall asleep) . I couldn't process the questions through and I guessed on two passage on the verbal and one on the physics..I know I should have voided but I thought I did okay
I still called and asked about the scores and I was told since they are scored electronically , there is very little chance for error and re-scoring it won't help so I just accepted the fact and I registered for the Sep 1st test

Hey guys,

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered, I sifted through some posts and didn't find it, so here goes:

I thought I did okay on my MCAT so when I submitted my application, I said that June 21st would be the last test date. Now that I have my scores and realized I scored muuuuch less than I had originally thought, I am going to retake the test, but obviously I can't go back and change my application. How should I proceed to inform my schools (I only applied to my state school for now) that I will be retaking the test? Should I send them an email or something? Is there anyway I can change it via AMCAS without re-submitting?

Thanks in advance :D

Hey guys,

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered, I sifted through some posts and didn't find it, so here goes:

I thought I did okay on my MCAT so when I submitted my application, I said that June 21st would be the last test date. Now that I have my scores and realized I scored muuuuch less than I had originally thought, I am going to retake the test, but obviously I can't go back and change my application. How should I proceed to inform my schools (I only applied to my state school for now) that I will be retaking the test? Should I send them an email or something? Is there anyway I can change it via AMCAS without re-submitting?

I am retaking too! I just updated my TMDSAS application to add a retake date

Good job to everyone and congrats to those who reached their goal! To anyone who didn't score as well as desired, keep trying! I went from a 23 on the 1/27/12 test to a 32 on 6/21/12... So don't give up! :)

Good job to everyone and congrats to those who reached their goal! To anyone who didn't score as well as desired, keep trying! I went from a 23 on the 1/27/12 test to a 32 on 6/21/12... So don't give up! :)

what did you do differently the second time?

Jul ’11 25Q (took all AAMC practice tests and averaged 28.2)

Jun ’12 23R (took all AAMC practice tests and averaged 29.8)

I wouldn’t have taken the test if I wasn’t scoring in the ballpark of when I where I was hoping to score. I don’t know what to do. I want to retake but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. By the way I don’t feel nervous when I’m taking the test.

I dont know what to say brah. just keep studying:shrug:

Eileron said:
"Hours of research" <<< publications, etc. I don't understand peoples' focus on how many hours they've done something. Hours of studying, hours of research...doesn't make a difference unless you have a good story to tell or demonstrable results - if you study 10,000 hours for the MCAT and get a 15 vs. if you do 10,000 hours of research and don't have results...

Sorry, pet peeve. You really sound like you should just stick with your current PhD program. How would you answer an interviewer asking you why you want to go into an MD/PhD program instead?

Well I only said "hours of research" because that's how all these med people seem to think, in terms of hours. Thought it was stupid too until I saw a question on the TMDSAS app asking for "hours of research experience". I've been doing it for 3 years with a publication in the works.

As for MD/PhD, I would say that I'm currently working in basic science and, although I enjoy the research, I feel that my disease research on human blindness modeled in Drosophila is very far removed from the disease, and my research will not make any significant impact on human blindness in the near future. I would like to go into laboratory medicine (pathology) and feel that I will be greatly/immediately impacting human disease this way.
PhD years are more conducive to raising a family than MD years, so I would prefer to take the first 2 or 3 MD years asap while I don't have a family and hopefully before any unforseen life circumstances occur that prevent me from taking the intense coursework for the MD.

Is this answer to your satisfaction? Not that I have to please anybody but admissions committees. I know what I'm doing research-wise.

Hey guys,

It's pretty simple. Just go to the application and click on tests. Change it to add the test. It is one of the things you can change after submitting.

Sorry, just had to post to get my 400th post!

I am super excited for a 30+ score! I will write something in the 30+ thread later.