The Official June 21, 2012 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adele358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people make this thread for their MCAT date. I was unable to find one for this date so I took the liberty to make one. Please share what you have found works or does not work for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT Prep Material: Kaplan
AAMC average: 28
Kaplan Average: 30
Prediction: No idea. I blocked the MCAT from my mind as soon as I left the testing center and only thought of the scores coming out until two days ago because I've been at the happiest place on earth for the last three weeks.
Actual: 8/11/10 = 29M

My sGPA is 3.42 and cGPA is 3.45. I'm not applying until next summer so I know I still have this year to add onto my ECs. I only have approximately a year of clinical experience with other non-medical volunteering scattered here and there. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I always thought I'd for sure retake it if I got less than a 30 but now I feel like I'll be ok applying with what I have. I'm of course applying to both MD and DO but where can I see a list of Cali resident-friendly state schools? (Since obviously mine aren't so forgiving lol.) I don't know if I'm not as distraught as I thought I would be because I'm still riding on the high that I've had the past 3 weeks or because I honestly feel like I'll be ok. So any advice would be appreciated. :)

OH, and congratulations to all you guys that reached/passed your goal! :highfive:

Soooooo guess I got lucky!
Prep Material: Kaplan course + books. I just read the books and did 4 practice exams.
AAMC average: Didn't take any...oops
Kaplan Average: 2 33's before I took Physics. 2 36's after.
Prediction: 36
Target score: 37
Actual: 38R
Boom. :)
Breakdown:
VR: 11
PS: 12
BS: 15....WHATTTTTT

Sup guys,
just made an account. I wanted to put down a guess at my scores before they came out so I can compare it to my score and others'.
PS: i got 8+9s before taking physics and 10+11s after. I think I got a 11/12 this time.
VR: i got 11/12s usually. Same for test day.
BS: I got 12, 13, or 14 on practice exams. I'm gonna guess 13 for test day. That one passage was insane tho....u all know which I'm talking about. I hope thats experimental or factored into the curve.
Overall,
Max: 12, 12, 13 = 37 (maybe a 38 if im lucky somewhere)
Min: 10, 11, 12, = 33

I took two practice exams the week before, got 36s both times.
Good luck guys...not much time left!!

I dreamed I got a 34R. In the dream, the score was shown to me one section at a time, so at first it showed a 10, so I was freaking out, thinking that was my score. Then a 11 and a 13. I don't know which sections.

34 was my average.

Wow. My dream damn near came true. 34S

11-12-11

Hey thank you! I think I'm going to go ahead and apply for as many DO schools as I can so far. I just wish I got this 26Q 2.5 years ago =( I was in a 7 year program with a 26 MCAT requirement but I didn't make the cut last time. The irony is hilarious. I wonder if my old school will still take me, haha.

Breenie, I'm applying DO. So if u need any help with the process just drop me a pm. I'd be glad to help you out. It would be good to shadow a DO too, even if its like only a couple days.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Also I would like to congratulate everyone who took this test with me whether you did exceptionally well or average or below your expectations because no matter what number it is you got - you took this exam and gave it your all and that is a feat in itself. :)

I also wanted to thank everyone whose been here on this thread with me since when we were neurotically posting pre-test, like MCAT777, acciouno, Luvahgilahsa, Ravizzle, dartmed, Eileron, and anyone else who I possibly missed. You guys kept me sane through this whole thing and entertained :love:

I didn't do as well as I would have wanted (my goal was a 28) but I did get a score that I feel shows that I can improve. I used to be in this terrible loop - feeling as though I can never do higher than low 20's. I'd have panic attacks even THINKING about retaking. I felt like I was literally a stupid person and I could never get higher than a 23 (which I got last time). Second-guessing myself at every turn probably is why I wound up getting a 26Q this time around but it boosted my confidence oddly. Now I feel like if I can take it again - I WILL do better. Now the question remains - should I retake or just focus on beefing up my application this summer and focusing on my classes for my graduate program. But I'm not going to make any big decisions today or even this week. This week - I'm just going to apply to a few DO schools and relax.

Last edited:
Used Kaplan Stuff
Average: 32 (11 PS 11 V 10 BS)
Prediction: 28ish
Actual: 31R (11 PS 8V!! 12 BS)

I scored 11 on all five practice exams I took in verbal. My score would be fine if I didn't have an 8 in a section, that is going to kill me, after relatively balance practices I don't know what to think. I am going to go start my car and close the garage door.

Wow congrats! What techniques did you use to improve (different prep materials)?

I used Kaplan before both tests. The first time I just took practice and section tests and skimmed over the answers afterwards. The second time tho I focused on taking short, timed sections.. like topical tests and qbanks. Then spent hours post-phrasing and figuring out why each one was wrong and why each question was right. Any topic I felt shaky on, I'd take a day and just read that chapter and use wikipedia until I felt I understood it the best I possibly could.

Still cannot believe the increase myself lol

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT Prep Material: TPR small group instruction + EK 1001's + Audio Osmosis
AAMC average: 32
Prediction: 30-33
Actual: 35R (12PS/10VR/13BS)

HOOORAY!!!!!

Last edited:
If you plan to wait anyway, then take it next year. If you really want to apply this cycle, retake this year and apply late. Be aware that a late September/early October score makes your application about as late as possible.
I already submitted my primary. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Also I would like to congratulate everyone who took this test with me whether you did exceptionally well or average or below your expectations because no matter what number it is you got - you took this exam and gave it your all and that is a feat in itself. :)

I also wanted to thank everyone whose been here on this thread with me since when we were neurotically posting pre-test, like MCAT777, acciouno, Luvahgilahsa, Ravizzle, dartmed, Eileron, and anyone else who I possibly missed. You guys kept me sane through this whole thing and entertained :love:

I didn't do as well as I would have wanted (my goal was a 28) but I did get a score that I feel shows that I can improve. I used to be in this terrible loop - feeling as though I can never do higher than low 20's. I'd have panic attacks even THINKING about retaking. I felt like I was literally a stupid person and I could never get higher than a 23 (which I got last time). Second-guessing myself at every turn probably is why I wound up getting a 26Q this time around but it boosted my confidence oddly. Now I feel like if I can take it again - I WILL do better. Now the question remains - should I retake or just focus on beefing up my application this summer and focusing on my classes for my graduate program. But I'm not going to make any big decisions today or even this week. This week - I'm just going to apply to a few DO schools and relax.

Breeniee, thank you for being so understanding back when I was in distress. I think you're in great shape for DO schools! You'll still be a great doctors some day, I still believe it!!!

Depends on your state, and your state schools' averages. I always recommend waiting a year to people, because there's a ton you can do to radically improve your application during that time, and you sound like a prime candidate for that. It also depends on your financial resources.

If money isn't a big factor for you, for example, you could apply to your state school and the weaker private schools now, and simultaneously apply to a post-bacc program. If you don't get accepted, you can spend the next year redeveloping your GPA and getting ready to pound the MCAT.

Thanks so much for the response! I am a NC resident and I have applied to all of the in-state schools except Duke. Do you know of any other out-of-state schools that I would have a chance at?

Used Kaplan Stuff
Average: 32 (11 PS 11 V 10 BS)
Prediction: 28ish
Actual: 31R (11 PS 8V!! 12 BS)

I scored 11 on all five practice exams I took in verbal. My score would be fine if I didn't have an 8 in a section, that is going to kill me, after relatively balance practices I don't know what to think. I am going to go start my car and close the garage door.

I got 8s in TWO sections. I'm going to join you with that garage plan. Or maybe I'll just find a tall building. I live right next to downtown Houston, wouldn't be hard...

I was really hoping I was one of those people who got lower on their practice test and somehow came out with a miracle score.

Somehow that happened. 30 average-33 actual

I never scored above a 32 on the practices.

Seems like we had identical experiences! Miracles do happen! Congrats:thumbup:

I got a 32 M. 10-Verb, 10-Bio, 12-Phys.

It felt like I got a 20 after taking it... I recommend anyone who has not taken yet to please spend more than a month to study. lol

Feel like crap. I don't even know what do to at this point anymore. :(

AAMC Average: 29.5
Kaplan Average: 28
TBR Average: 31
Prediction: 25-33
Actual: 25S

FUK NOT BEING AN ENGLISH SPEAKER:

V:8/ PS:13/ BS:13 = 34T

LOL!!! Perfect score on writing sample!
I already retook on 07/14 because I knew I bombed the verbal. :)

Congrats to everyone ITT!!!

AAMC average:30
Prediction: 33
Actual:

Also might want add last two FL taken
For me aamc 10-32 and aamc 11- 32

Actual 34 K???!!!!!

I seriously don't know why my writing section is so low. Granted, I didn't do any prep for that section. I was actually pretty happy with what I wrote. What do you guys think? Think it'll be a problem? 3.8 GPA

Btw, used Berkeley for physics and gen chem. Princeton for bio and ochem.

for the people that are retaking, what date are you registered for?

I think I'll go for one of the September ones mainly because I'll be preoccupied until mid Aug. ...seriously, don't want to fack this up again because of not studying enough. Applying only DO, but I think I'm gonna considered really late...

26P
9/8/9
:(

I got the same exact score I did the first time. I'm still applying this cycle, luckily I live in Texas and every other part of my application is strong...really hoping they can look past this low score. At least I'm consistent?

Congrats to everyone else who exceeded their expectations, to the others...I feel ya.

Breeniee, thank you for being so understanding back when I was in distress. I think you're in great shape for DO schools! You'll still be a great doctors some day, I still believe it!!!

Aww thank you for the encouragement.

Breenie, I'm applying DO. So if u need any help with the process just drop me a pm. I'd be glad to help you out. It would be good to shadow a DO too, even if its like only a couple days.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Thanks! I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I'm going to be finishing up my application tomorrow probably so help would be awesome! :)

I think I'll go for one of the September ones mainly because I'll be preoccupied until mid Aug. ...seriously, don't want to fack this up again because of not studying enough. Applying only DO, but I think I'm gonna considered really late...

I think I will register for Sep 1st too this way I have enough time to study

I'm in the same boat. Already submitted my primary as well to like 11 schools, I'm prob only gonna fill out secondaries for 2 or 3 schools, don't feel like throwing away more money.

I'm in the same boat. Already submitted my primary as well to like 11 schools, I'm prob only gonna fill out secondaries for 2 or 3 schools, don't feel like throwing away more money.

I think I'm gonna finish filling out 2 more and stop, only because I already went through a lot of trouble for Michigan.

I was really excited about my unexpected 34 today. But...this thread makes me feel dumb. AAMC says only the top 7% get a 34 or above but it seems half of you score over 34.

I understand why that is but that doesn't make me feel less underwhelmed. *sigh*

that's because most people who score less than 30 aren't gonna post their scores...so u only see posts with high scores. don't let this site get to u.

So when I submitted my application I included my 6/21/2012 test date as a future test date even though I had already taken it. Now it shows my exam scores on my application with this below it:
Addl 2012 MCAT Intent Date: 06/21/2012

How do I get rid of that? It seems like I can't edit anything on my app now.

Awww. Thanks breeniee! God bless on all your endeavors.

So when I submitted my application I included my 6/21/2012 test date as a future test date even though I had already taken it. Now it shows my exam scores on my application with this below it:
Addl 2012 MCAT Intent Date: 06/21/2012

How do I get rid of that? It seems like I can't edit anything on my app now.

I have the same thing. I'm sure it'll work out in the wash.

MCAT Prep Material: Kaplan and AAMC practices, oh and Kahn Academy was my best friend for difficult concepts that I couldn't understand.
Prediction: 28
Actual: 28R

Physical: 10
Verbal: 7 <---- lol wtf :laugh: What a joke! How annoying!
Bio: 11

Stupid verbal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever. I'm not taking it again. I'm happy. Fate will place me where I'm meant to be! Glad this waiting game is over!

Last edited:
Predict: 23
Average: 24-28
Actual: 27P
I can't be happier!!! I'm very content. :) Congrats to everyone that scored over 30. I won't be greedy.

march mcat: 10 ps/6vr/10 bs M = 26M, predicted 27-29

june 21: 11 ps/11 vr/ 9 bs P = 31P

predicted for june 21: 5-7 ps/8-10 vr/8-9 BS, total 21 - 26

clearly i was blessed on the PS and went with my gut and/or guessed well. and it prolly was curved well.

to those of you who didn't do well, don't give up. use different study materials. I went from a 6 to 11 on verbal using EK101 and princeton review, and most importantly, I learned how to manage my time! 8.5 min per passage and that's it!

04/13/12:
PS:11 VR:8 BS:10 WS: M

06/21/12:
PS:11 VR: 9 BS:11 WS:Q

It was a risk to retake because I only studied about 3 weeks for the second time around, but I had an average of 31 so I felt compelled to retake! I'm glad I did and I'm happy my score didn't go down!! Whatta relief, DONE!

MCAT Prep Material: Kaplan and AAMC practices, oh and Kahn Academy was my best friend for difficult concepts that I couldn't understand.
Prediction: 28
Actual: 28R

Physical: 10
Verbal: 7 <---- lol wtf :laugh: What a joke! How annoying!
Bio: 11

Stupid verbal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever. I'm not taking it again. I'm happy. Fate will place me where I'm meant to be! Glad this waiting game is over!
same score but 11 in ps and 10 in bs.
Im thinking of retaking as the 7 wont get me in?