**The Official July 2016 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Created.

July 8 exam = August 9 release date

Members don't see this ad.

"503

Looks like I will not be applying this cycle :(.

If anyone is curious. I scored a 521 on my scored full length and roughly 80% on the each section of the section bank.

Perhaps I am not the best test taker. I have spent the last eight months studying for this exam and actually did worst this time around. I will try again One more time in January and if not I will give up and pursue another avenue.

I did six Kaplan exams four next steps exams. Three exam kracker exams and the end of section Berkeley review exams. I exhausted every material out and I have exhausted most of the materials available. If anyone has any advice, I'd be happy to hear it. I feel very defeated now."

Edit: this was on april 23 reddit response thread
I was accidentally looking on april 23 instead of aug 23 release responses. MCAT got me going crazy :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

After a couple hours of crying and self doubt, I want to post now because I know some people have been following my posts to figure out if TPR is good or if 6 weeks of studying or whatever, I've already received a few PMs so would like to put it here and hopefully stop the PMs while I get right with this with myself.

I got a 509. Breakdown: 125/128/127/129 My practice scores leading up were good. AAMC was 517 on scored, 518 conversion on unscored. I am really disappointed if that isn't obvious. I really wanted a 514. I still don't understand what happened. I want to retake so bad, but I know that would be an act of hubris. Plus with the high practice scores, I've lost all predictability and could possibly score even lower on a retake. I'm going forward with the cycle, but will be adding more schools. I feel incredibly ****ty. Worst because I have no idea what went wrong, it felt better than both AAMC tests, easier, I was nervous but focused. I did feel like CARS and P/S went well, and they are my strong suits, so I understand why they are >90% C/P, idk, it is my weakest area but it didn't feel as difficult as my score reflects. -_- I see above some people are wondering how people score lower, I have to say I don't think I had an "off" day. In all my practice I was always on point in my post test feelings and gauging difficulty. I'm thrown right now.

Also, I realize that many people would kill for this score. I am hesitant to post because I don't want to offend or seem unappreciative. We all have our own personal goals and self evaluations. Further, with the reporting bias on SDN, I wanted to be sure the "less than the AAMC FL" scores were seen as well.
I'm in my own dark place, and that is not to take away from anyone else. It's my own to get over. Congratulations everyone. I will be taking a hiatus for a while to get my mind right and ready for the app season.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

After a couple hours of crying and self doubt, I want to post now because I know some people have been following my posts to figure out if TPR is good or if 6 weeks of studying or whatever, I've already received a few PMs so would like to put it here and hopefully stop the PMs while I get right with this with myself.

I got a 509. Breakdown: 125/128/127/129 My practice scores leading up were good. AAMC was 517 on scored, 518 conversion on unscored. I am really disappointed if that isn't obvious. I really wanted a 514. I still don't understand what happened. I want to retake so bad, but I know that would be an act of hubris. Plus with the high practice scores, I've lost all predictability and could possibly score even lower on a retake. I'm going forward with the cycle, but will be adding more schools. I feel incredibly ****ty. Worst because I have no idea what went wrong, it felt better than both AAMC tests, easier, I was nervous but focused. I did feel like CARS and P/S went well, and they are my strong suits, so I understand why they are >90% C/P, idk, it is my weakest area but it didn't feel as difficult as my score reflects. -_- I see above some people are wondering how people score lower, I have to say I don't think I had an "off" day. In all my practice I was always on point in my post test feelings and gauging difficulty. I'm thrown right now.

Also, I realize that many people would kill for this score. I am hesitant to post because I don't want to offend or seem unappreciative. We all have our own personal goals and self evaluations. Further, with the reporting bias on SDN, I wanted to be sure the "less than the AAMC FL" scores were seen as well.
I'm in my own dark place, and that is not to take away from anyone else. It's my own to get over. Congratulations everyone. I will be taking a hiatus for a while to get my mind right and ready for the app season.

Its cause AAMC likes screwing people over by have easy practice exams and then giving an insane real exam.
Release some more practice exams for Gods sake or have your exam around the same difficulty as the scored or even the SB.
They like to screw us premeds over. The people who took mcat exams this summer and did well like yourself, I gotta give yall props. Good job. More often than not, the real exam is nothing like the practice exams they have released + the practice exams can no longer predict actual scores. That time is long gone. Thank you AAMC for your 1 scored fl. smh

~Most people used to do better on their actual exam than the AAMC practice exams. This is no longer the case. Don't predict your performance off any charts. That's the only advice I got

Reactions: 4 users
Ya'll making me feel depressed and these aren't even my scores.

I hear you. I am really starting to dread getting my scores from the 8/5 exam.

How can the MCAT seem to possibly change so much from test to test and yet the AAMC continues to assert that it doesn't matter which test you take or when?

Reactions: 1 users
Took the exam in may and got a 498. Retook the july 22nd, got a 504 (128,125,125,126). Good enough to get into a DO?

So disappointed as well. Seems like this is the trend with this test and doesn't seem fair at all. Did all AAMC materials and TPR tests.

Was scoring around 505+ on TPR and then 82% on AAMC sample (predicted 512-515) and then on AAMC scored one week before I got a 511.

Real: 503. 127/124/127/125

SO confused and upset. Have no idea how I dropped 8 points on scored to real. I was tired and a little burnt out but I didn't that I did THAT much worse than AAMC products. Especially the psych which I was scoring 129+ on every practice test.

Feeling so defeated because I KNOW I should have/could have done so much better and was really not expecting this. At. All. Tears have been flowing but it's okay. I know I have it in me to murder this test and am going to take another shot at it in January.

I'm so proud of everyone for attempting the hardest test ever created and congrats to those who killed it! For those in the same boat as me, I know we will persevere and kick ass.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it takes to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway"

Reactions: 5 users
So disappointed as well. Seems like this is the trend with this test and doesn't seem fair at all. Did all AAMC materials and TPR tests.

I've been on this site for a while and I've never seen this many people do a lot worse on their mcat.
It makes me really mad and I haven't even taken the exam yet.

"Standardized testing"
--> its not standardized testing when 95% of the people who were scoring 510+ on scored fl were getting >510s on the real exam. Now they can't even get above a 505. That's not standardized testing.
If you're a top testing company and you're going to change the test to make it even harder, at least give out another scored fl so we can predict our performance.

Another point that I want to make:
"It doesn't matter what month you take the exam. The mcat is scaled, not curved"
I hope everyone is realizing what AAMC has probably been hiding all along.
Maybe the mcat isn't scaled, but curved...
more people taking it during the later months--> more study time --> higher scores --> horrible curve.

Whatever AAMC did for this scored exam, it was definitely not fair. I expect most of you to do better than what you did if you retake in January. Good luck and best wishes :)

Hey everyone,

A 509 is not an insignificant score, and it can still certainly land you an MD seat. But I can see how having that dip from your practice scores can make you feel disappointed. I got a 24 on my first MCAT, so I know how it can feel to fall short of your practice scores and goals. I questioned my intelligence and felt depressed beyond belief for months. Don't let that be you!

Despite that, I wish you well with your application. Coupled with a good GPA, I'm sure you can do well. Good luck!

Going to sulk and lick my wounds tonight with a beer and pizza. Waking up tomorrow morning I am moving on from it and formulating a solid game-plan to crush the January mcat.

Looking back now, the only thing I would do different would be to strictly do nothing but practice problems/passages about 4-5 weeks out instead of 2-3. But I have no regrets about anything else. I saved up money during the winter/spring so I could quit work and focus just on the mcat for the whole summer starting May 1st. I took the weekends off, but everything on the weekdays was strictly mcat 8am to 9pm.

I know I laid it all out there and did more than enough content review. Now I just need to adjust and tweak some things and focus on doing more practice problems.

Stay strong everyone. This dang exam doesn't define you nor does it say how well of a physician you will be. One of my best friends scored a 22 mcat and is currently #8 in his medical school class ranking (don't ask about his mcat, long story and such lol).

But anyways, stay positive. The road can be long and full of adversity, but triumphing over those challenges will make you a better person and better physician.

Stay strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I know you may not have scored what you might have been hoping but it's a fantastic score and I don't mean this to be nice - it really is. First off, there are a lot of reporting bias along with the fact that people are likely to lie about their scores. So if you feel you are somehow not smart enough because you didn't score as high as some others who did, just know that a lot of premeds feel this way and it's because we always want to be better than the next guy. Yet those same people go on to med school with that same score and end up doing really well regardless. The MCAT doesn't define your intelligence as I am sure you know and have heard it said over and over again. Secondly, who says you have to stop there. Take it again if need be. Regardless, you did great and wish you the best in the application process.

Took the MCAT for the first time last August and my score was 487... (Took it on a whim with a friend and at the time had not taken multiple important courses. Lol).

Retook it July 22nd and went up ELEVEN freaking points to 498!!! I increased my Bio/Biochem percentile from 7% to 78%!! And I went up 6 points from scored FL (492) taken a week before test day.

While it may not seem like a "high" score to some, it's plenty high enough for my guaranteed acceptance into VCOM as a current post-bacc student. I know all of us on here have different goals and are in different places, so remember: Comparison robs you of your joy. We all did our bests and we're going to be doctors one day. So proud of each and every one of you! :)

Reactions: 8 users
I know you may not have scored what you might have been hoping but it's a fantastic score and I don't mean this to be nice - it really is. First off, there are a lot of reporting bias along with the fact that people are likely to lie about their scores. So if you feel you are somehow not smart enough because you didn't score as high as some others who did, just know that a lot of premeds feel this way and it's because we always want to be better than the next guy. Yet those same people go on to med school with that same score and end up doing really well regardless. The MCAT doesn't define your intelligence as I am sure you know and have heard it said over and over again. Secondly, who says you have to stop there. Take it again if need be. Regardless, you did great and wish you the best in the application process.

Yep. a 509 is better than 4 out of 5 people who took that test. Hell, I'm pretty damn proud of my 504 which is better than 2 out of 3 people.

If it's me, I take a 509 and run with it. Hell, I'm running with my 504. It may not get me in, but I'm putting my best into my secondaries and I'll live with the results. Retake if I have to.

A 509 is exceptional and will get you into medical school. Once you're in medical school, no one with half a brain should give a **** about your MCAT score. You may all of the sudden be the bottom of your class because now you're up against other people who are exceptional students, and one test doesn't define your ability or intelligence.

Thanks guys. I know it is a good score. And I have a very strong app otherwise with my gpa, research, background. I just need to come to terms with my performance. It's hard to keep the thoughts about being mediocre or not as intelligent as I thought out, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

I don't want to take another gap year and with a pending divorce and a bunch of other things, it will be best for me and my kids to have things figured out sooner than later. I know it's a good enough to land an MD acceptance, especially with all my background and circumstances. I hate that my chances at my dream schools just dropped significantly so I have to get realistic about where I can get in now.

At the end of the day, I'm going to become a doctor and I'm going to work my ass off for steps to never feel this way again. What medical school I go to in order to reach that goal shouldn't matter... In theory (still convincing myself).

Reactions: 5 users
Took the exam in may and got a 498. Retook the july 22nd, got a 504 (128,125,125,126). Good enough to get into a DO?

I know people at MD and DO with that MCAT score. Your application is more than just one number. You have ~28...it's not a score that warrants an automatic rejection, especially if you bring something else to the table.

Remember, the estimated accepted MCAT on SDN is a 514+. In the real world, people gain acceptances with 503+ (sometimes even less than that). The harshest screen I know of is a minimum of 503. Why would a school look at applicants with a 503 if they thought they were automatically 'less than'? I saw someone on here earlier who is a non-urm with a 501...3 MD II's. Keep your chin up.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I know it is a good score. And I have a very strong app otherwise with my gpa, research, background. I just need to come to terms with my performance. It's hard to keep the thoughts about being mediocre or not as intelligent as I thought out, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

I don't want to take another gap year and with a pending divorce and a bunch of other things, it will be best for me and my kids to have things figured out sooner than later. I know it's a good enough to land an MD acceptance, especially with all my background and circumstances. I hate that my chances at my dream schools just dropped significantly so I have to get realistic about where I can get in now.

At the end of the day, I'm going to become a doctor and I'm going to work my ass off for steps to never feel this way again. What medical school I go to in order to reach that goal shouldn't matter... In theory (still convincing myself).

Take this with a grain of salt. The slowest physician I have ever worked during my time as an ER scribe so far was an MD/PhD; background of USC and UChicago (literally the best programs in the nation). The next slowest hosts a Dartmouth/Yale background. The best? LLU grad with a no-name residency in chicago. It's all what you make of it, man. The process is arbitrary -- hard workers make the best physicians.

Reactions: 6 users
Take this with a grain of salt. The slowest physician I have ever worked during my time as an ER scribe so far was an MD/PhD; background of USC and UChicago (literally the best programs in the nation). The next slowest hosts a Dartmouth/Yale background. The best? LLU grad with a no-name residency in chicago. It's all what you make of it, man. The process is arbitrary -- hard workers make the best physicians.

+ I know some great doctors that had to take the mcat 3-4 times and now they are in cardiology, dermatology, radiology, surgery.
Low mcat doesnt mean you're not going to be a great doctor. Keep your head up guys and keep striving :)

Reactions: 3 users
Yep. a 509 is better than 4 out of 5 people who took that test. Hell, I'm pretty damn proud of my 504 which is better than 2 out of 3 people.

If it's me, I take a 509 and run with it. Hell, I'm running with my 504. It may not get me in, but I'm putting my best into my secondaries and I'll live with the results. Retake if I have to.

A 509 is exceptional and will get you into medical school. Once you're in medical school, no one with half a brain should give a **** about your MCAT score. You may all of the sudden be the bottom of your class because now you're up against other people who are exceptional students, and one test doesn't define your ability or intelligence.

I agree a 509 is great. However, I would caution against statements like the bolded above, simply because this process is insane and unpredictable. We never know what the adcoms think with our stats, good/bad as they may be. As someone with a medium LizzyM score (70), I have 2 IIs, and one of them is a reach beyond reach with my stats. But many other schools that I am equal to or higher than the average I don't have IIs from. You never know how this process will play out, and there def. is a chance I will not get in. Good luck to you all though, and I'm sure there's a very very good chance you will get in somewhere.

Earned a 499. Beyond devastated right now. I earned a 503 on the FL Practice Exam and did pretty well on the sample exam. I just don't even know what to do at this point.

I earned a 124 on cars, but I earned a 129 on the scaled practice exam.

My smp-linked DO program requires a minimum 501, so I am really furious that I am just 2 points shy of that requirement. I don't know how I am going to study for the mcat and my smp at the same time to retake in January...
I am in the same boat with a 499....feeling a lil hopeless.

I agree a 509 is great. However, I would caution against statements like the bolded above, simply because this process is insane and unpredictable. We never know what the adcoms think with our stats, good/bad as they may be. As someone with a medium LizzyM score (70), I have 2 IIs, and one of them is a reach beyond reach with my stats. But many other schools that I am equal to or higher than the average I don't have IIs from. You never know how this process will play out, and there def. is a chance I will not get in. Good luck to you all though, and I'm sure there's a very very good chance you will get in somewhere.

apply broadly and you will get in to a medical school.
That's what he said.
509 is way above the average for most DO schools and a 509 won't be holding you back from a low-mid tier MD school
If you don't get in, it wasn't the mcat that held you back

Finally have some time to sit down and respond here. I'm really sad to hear about everyone's disappointment and it's hard not to be frustrated. With that said, my scores:
Actual mcat: 510 (127/128/127/128)
Scored FL: 512 (127/131/125/129)
I was so relieved when I saw my score, and am very thankful that it is more balanced than my scored. I would have been ecstatic with this score if I had a decent GPA, but unfortunately I think I may need a higher mcat to make up for it.
Still deciding if I need a retake. However, my biggest drop is in CARS (which in my opinion is somewhat based on luck of the exam) and I don't think I would be able to replicate my B/B score (still shocked considering my scored). I was honestly most worried about that and was hoping for at least a 125.
Mixed feelings. But relieved for the most part.

apply broadly and you will get in to a medical school.
That's what he said.
509 is way above the average for most DO schools and a 509 won't be holding you back from a low-mid tier MD school
If you don't get in, it wasn't the mcat that held you back

Absolutely agree with the fact that the MCAT will not hold her back :) Just wanted to share my opinion on definitive statements. I have had people tell me I'm for sure getting into medical school and I'm like "there's a chance I won't guys!" Good luck to you all!

I stand corrected. A 509 is exceptional and is good enough to get you into medical school. Usually individuals with 509s have a well rounded application otherwise. Yes, this process is insane.

I stand corrected. A 509 is exceptional and is good enough to get you into medical school. Usually individuals with 509s have a well rounded application otherwise. Yes, this process is insane.

I totally agree! A 509 is amazing! I hope I didn't come across as critical or rude, just wanted to share how this process can cause doubts in everyone!!!

Also I am sure the individual who got a 509 is a URM. I suspect if everything else is in order he/she will be having a good cycle and looking back at this moment with a smile

finally checked my test and i got a 509!!! my AAMC scored practice was a 508 (taken 4 days before the real mcat) there is hope especially on a really difficult test!!!

So I've decided to retake with my 507...just like how everyone has they're own goals and standards, I definitely know that based on my practice exams and abilities I could do better...I've been studying to retake on Sept 1 anyway and have done significantly better on my retakes (yes I know to take that with a grain of salt because I do remember some questions, but at the same time, it's not like I remembered every question)....here's to not sleeping for the next 6 days! to anyone retaking too good luck! now we know what to expect haha

Also I am sure the individual who got a 509 is a URM. I suspect if everything else is in order he/she will be having a good cycle and looking back at this moment with a smile

I'll get over it for sure. But I won't be looking back on this score with a smile. Getting some acceptances will ease the blow though lol

Was feeling kind of bummed to post this but w/e here it is:

Scored AAMC Exam - 512 (130/125/130/127)

Real Exam - 509 (128/125/128/128)

Honestly felt that bio was 130+ and P/S was 132 so I am shocked that I scored 128's on these, also upset my C/P dropped two points from the scored exam.

Most importantly I am Canadian and we need high CARS scores to open up most schools (128+).

However, I am somewhat happy because now I am competitive at University of Toronto, Queen's and Ottawa.

I have a 3.80 cGPA and 3.90+ wGPA at most schools.

I hope everyone else got the scores they wanted. I encourage those who didn't to still try to apply, that what i am going to do, if no dice I will re-write next year.

Cheers!

Was feeling kind of bummed to post this but w/e here it is:

Scored AAMC Exam - 512 (130/125/130/127)

Real Exam - 509 (128/125/128/128)

Honestly felt that bio was 130+ and P/S was 132 so I am shocked that I scored 128's on these, also upset my C/P dropped two points from the scored exam.

Most importantly I am Canadian and we need high CARS scores to open up most schools (128+).

However, I am somewhat happy because now I am competitive at University of Toronto, Queen's and Ottawa.

I have a 3.80 cGPA and 3.90+ wGPA at most schools.

I hope everyone else got the scores they wanted. I encourage those who didn't to still try to apply, that what i am going to do, if no dice I will re-write next year.

Cheers!

Hey I thought for Queen's the unofficial cut off was (10/10/10) for previous MCAT so a 127+ in all 4 sections?

Hey I thought for Queen's the unofficial cut off was (10/10/10) for previous MCAT so a 127+ in all 4 sections?

Not if you check PM101 forums, a lot of people with 125 in CARS but overall 80%+ percentile got interviews.

IMO Queen's is becoming more forgiving if you have a good overall score.

Edit: Also a good friend of mine interviewed with a 125 CARS last year, so its possible.

Haven't been too active on the forum or this thread but I've been lurking for a while. Just thought I'd pop in to say I got a 510 on the scored AAMC practice exam and a 512 on the real one (C/P 128, CARS 127, B/B 129, P/S 128). I'm pretty happy, considering this was the HARDEST and most convoluted MCAT exam I had ever taken (comparing it to the many EK/NS/TPR exams I had taken). I walked out thinking I bombed C/P (legit guesses on a handful of questions) and I really thought my P/S and CARS were >130 because they felt SO EASY when taking them. So weird; my practice test CARS results were always higher but I think I'll live with it.

Looking back, I'd have spent more time with section banks and not neglected "low-yield" areas. It's such a crapshoot sometimes, though.

I actually applied for a couple part-time jobs this past week thinking I'd have to retake, so I'm relieved this thing is over. Good luck to all of you -- if I could get through this than surely any of you can.

Finally collected myself after dancing/eating cake/drinking champagne for the last 24 hours.

Original goal: 508 (80%)
8 Kaplan FLS: (500-505)
Scored: 508
Unscored: ~79%
7/22: 510 (128/127/127/128) (!!!!!!)

Walking out I felt pretty ambivalent and honestly a little disheartened. Although I was confident in a decent amount of passages, things came up in Psych/Soc that I had never heard of, and most of C/P felt like a complete crapshoot. I put in close to 600 hours throughout May, June, and July studying for this test, and felt like I studied really well for it. This just goes to show that if you put the time in and be honest with yourself about your strengths and weaknesses, you'll rock it.

For reference, my cGPA/sGPA is a 4.0, and the rest of my App is very solid, so I was shooting for 80th percentile to get myself interviews at mid-top tier schools.

If anyone has any questions about studying methods or wants to know more about my experience with this beast, let me know!

anyone here applying with a 504 and mind sharing your school list? my score is pretty balanced (127/124/125/128) so i'm giving this cycle a shot before retaking

Are u just doing MD then?

I really like a couple DO schools near me and I feel like with admissions these days, you just can't overestimate your chances. So I'll likely submit an app to a 4-5 DO schools where I'd be very happy attending. It doesn't help that my state (Virginia) is not very in-state friendly so I don't get guaranteed interviews at my state MD schools (hardly any preference given to in-state residents at all, actually).

R u applying DO or MD
Both, about 20 MD schools (low tiers like Albany, NYMC, Rush, Loyola, Drexel)
5 DO schools

on loyola's website their ave mcat accepted last cycle was a 504 so i guess i'd give some MD schools a try since i've been told i have impressive ECs and my score falls within accepted mcat ranges at many schools based on MSAR

I walked out thinking I failed but got really good news when I finally checked:

Practice (127/128/128/122)

Actual (130/129/132/127)

Reactions: 3 users
I am curious to hear what you guys have heard, or even experienced based on your own applications this cycle regarding how schools are interpreting the new vs. old MCAT. For example, I saw one school (don't remember which one) that showed their average accepted old MCAT for this cycle was a 32, but their average accepted 2015 MCAT was a 509. According to percentiles, those are quite different. Do you think that the P/S section is only taken as a grain of salt until more is known about that section? Reason I ask is because my score distribution (511: 129/126/130/126) is pretty unbalanced, but if you consider only the first 3 sections, it is somewhere in the 33-34 range according to percentiles. Again, this is just arbitrary, but I've always heard the CP and definitely BB are weighed more heavily so I was just curious as to y'alls thoughts.

The numbers on MSAR are the average for applied applicants, not accepted applicants.

Hey everyone,

Was rooting for you, I can sort of relate to how you feel seeing your score but you should hold your head up high and once you are in med school none of this matters.