**The Official July 2016 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Created.

July 8 exam = August 9 release date

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I screwed up sooo royally. Going to have to retake, and perhaps have another gap year. I'm glad I got my letters of rec sent to interfolio since I am nontrad an all..

Did you take any nextstep or EK exams? If so, did you score lower than what you got on them??

I don't think scores are released yet. AAMC always tweets out right when they release scores.
Don't worry guys! There would be a lot more people posting scores if they were released. Good luck :)

My score is out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160823-151014.png
    Screenshot_20160823-151014.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 217
Reactions: 1 user
This is weird. Usually a lot of people post their scores/practice scores, etc.

Why is this thread so dead right now?
I wonder if the mcat got a lot harder. A lot of people on reddit did a lot worse on the mcat than scored fl :(

You guys I finally checked it.. 503!
I know that's not up to most of your guys' standards but I am pretty content with it! No score below 125 which is a miracle because I ran out of time on both cars and bio. I expected Chem/phys to be my highest score but it was one of my lowest. Bio was my highest at 127 which I'll take happily because I got a 123 on it last time I took it. My aamc scored was a 499. Real 503. ILL TAKE THAT!

I'll edit to post more practice scores later.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
****kk pretty sure I'm out of the running for all 17 of the schools I applied to +pity+>> can't find a crying emoji that quite captures my current emotion

I would say there are a lot less test takers around this time of the year.
I know that's not up to most of your guys' standards but I am pretty content with it! No score below 125 which is a miracle because I ran out of time on both cars and bio. I expected Chem/phys to be my highest score but it was one of my lowest. Bio was my highest at 127 which I'll take happily because I got a 123 on it last time I took it. My aamc scored was a 499. Real 503. ILL TAKE THAT!

I second that! We are twins!

Psych/Soc totally killed me!!! I can't believe this!! I did acceptably in all others, even chem/phys which had me really nervous. WTF!! With a 499, should I withdraw all my apps now? Don't know if a 3.9 GPA is sufficient to pull me out of this.

Disappointed with my score. Got 2 points lower than the scored full length. Got a 124 in CARS which was what I was afraid of. Just emailed my favorite school admissions department to see if it will really hinder my chances. Unfortunately, there are no test dates available in my province either. I'm not quite depressed yet, but was hoping for better :/

Got 507....but that's like 5 points lower from my scored FL....disappointed though because I thought that after a year in an SMP with an awesome GPA, I'd do way better =/

mcat is getting a lot harder. I remember when in 2015 and beginning of 2016, most people used to score above their aamc scored AND/OR unscored fl.
- Kinda not fair, but it is what it is.

I'm not going to predict my performance off the scored fl after somebody on reddit got a 503 after getting a 521 on the scored and 80% right on unscored

Reactions: 1 users
I found the actual MCAT to be more difficult than the scored. I have an advanced degree in biology and I found my brain getting twisted with some of the questions. I would retake if I could, but there are no tests available. Let's see what admissions says.....

I am beyond thrilled that i got a 507! It may not be "good" but after getting a horrible score last may i am soooo happy!

Increased my MCAT from a 492 (last summer) to a 501 !!!!!!!!
Probably not big to anyone, but this is a huge improvement for me!

Reactions: 14 users
Psych/Soc totally killed me!!! I can't believe this!! I did acceptably in all others, even chem/phys which had me really nervous. WTF!! With a 499, should I withdraw all my apps now? Don't know if a 3.9 GPA is sufficient to pull me out of this.
With your GPA, certain DO schools are within reach (new schools or satellite locations). However, some screen below a 500. New data came out stating that the psych/soc section is the best predictor for success in most medical school courses/clerkships...so that may harm you.

For MD, you do not want to have anything less than a 503 (500 if you are a urm or incredibly unique, e.g. once homeless or a navy seal). Best of luck and keep your head up.

With your GPA, certain DO schools are within reach (new schools or satellite locations). However, some screen below a 500. New data came out stating that the psych/soc section is the best predictor for success in most medical school courses/clerkships...so that may harm you.

For MD, you do not want to have anything less than a 503 (500 if you are a urm or incredibly unique, e.g. once homeless or a navy seal). Best of luck and keep your head up.

Where can I find this "new data" you speak of?

I know people accepted with that score (MD and DO). Apply, especially to low tier and shine on those essays. Best of luck and congrats on your improvement!

Last edited:
Where can I find this "new data" you speak of?
It is a pdf released by AAMC. For years prior to the new mcat, psych soc was thrown in (trial passages) and was found to be significant in regard to performance during clerkships as well as in pharm, neuro, etc. This is contrary to what many non or anti-humanities individuals believe. But the data does not lie. If I wasn't so lazy I would post it...but just do a google search and you will find it. There had to be a reason to include it in the new test...so it makes sense. Not sure why you used quotes...but it is needlessly sarcastic.

But keep in mind...this is not to say that a 128+ in psych soc will save you from a horrendous score.

Last edited:
It is a pdf released by AAMC. For years prior to the new mcat, psych soc was thrown in (trial passages) and was found to be significant in regard to performance during clerkships as well as in pharm, neuro, etc. This is contrary to what many non or anti-humanities individuals believe. But the data does not lie. If I wasn't so lazy I would post it...but just do a google search and you will find it. There had to be a reason to include it in the new test...so it makes sense. Not sure why you used quotes...but it is needlessly sarcastic.

But keep in mind...this is not to say that a 128+ in psych soc will save you from a horrendous score.

How is that sarcastic?

Hmm.. I think when on the internet using quotes while asking a question typically imply sarcasm. Something like that. Not really sure. (not being sarcastic for clarity)

Anyways, congratulations to the 22nd takers. At least none of you scored below my CARS (that I've seen yet). I am the most illiterate person in this thread.

Reactions: 3 users
I took it in June and got 6 points worse than my scored FL so I feel your pain. Give it some time and I think you'll feel a bit better, you still did well!

I really do think the test is just getting harder and that they need to release more practice tests to really be able to predict our scores well. Feel free to PM me if you need to vent lol.
thanks! That makes sense... I've been studying for the Sept 1 during this time, and I'm currently debating whether I should take it again or not because though I feel like I could do better, after now I'm not so sure if I can't really compare my practice exam scores. blehhhh....brb going to eat a whole tub of ice cream and order two pies of pizza.

thanks! That makes sense... I've been studying for the Sept 1 during this time, and I'm currently debating whether I should take it again or not because though I feel like I could do better, after now I'm not so sure if I can't really compare my practice exam scores. blehhhh....brb going to eat a whole tub of ice cream and order two pies of pizza.

507 is a great score. I really don't think that will keep you out anywhere unless you are shooting for top 20. Permitting you don't have a nasty GPA to make up for or something like that. The main problem with retaking is... what materials are you going to use to study? Right now it's a complete crapshoot to retake. There is a new scored exam coming out in 1 or 2 months though, I believe.

Hmm.. I think when on the internet using quotes while asking a question typically imply sarcasm. Something like that. Not really sure. (not being sarcastic for clarity)

Anyways, congratulations to the 22nd takers. At least none of you scored below my CARS (that I've seen yet). I am the most illiterate person in this thread.

When you say "typically" what do you mean exactly?

Despite being disappointed with my score, I am damn proud that I survived this thing. And I actually enjoyed studying for it, so no harm done. I know- I'm weird :)

Despite being disappointed with my score, I am damn proud that I survived this thing. And I actually enjoyed studying for it, so no harm done. I know- I'm weird :)
You should be proud though. This thing is no joke, don't let the sometimes crazed culture of SDN make you think otherwise.

Studying for the MCAT is not easy. Taking a 7.5+ hour exam is not easy. Waiting for 30 days to see how the rest of your professional life is going to pan out is not easy. I know plenty of people who didn't even make it past Intro to Chem. So be proud, low score or not! :)

Reactions: 3 users
You should be proud though. This thing is no joke, don't let the sometimes crazed culture of SDN make you think otherwise.

Studying for the MCAT is not easy. Taking a 7.5+ hour exam is not easy. Waiting for 30 days to see how the rest of your professional life is going to pan out is not easy. I know plenty of people who didn't even make it past Intro to Chem. So be proud, low score or not! :)

Thank-you so much for that. You are right- it's not easy. I hope that we all are much more than our MCAT scores. Actually, I haven't checked SDN in weeks because I thought it would just make me depressed. So many high scorers bragging about how well they did (and good for them, I would too!). But to all who are disappointed, don't let this define you. Carry on and hold your head up high!

chiming in! My emotions are so far over the place right now--I did decently well which makes me somewhat proud but slightly lower than my goal score and several points lower than my AAMC scored... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm not going to predict my performance off the scored fl after somebody on reddit got a 503 after getting a 521 on the scored and 80% right on unscored

That is very bizarre. I understand discrepancies happen but that is unheard of. What happened, do you know? Did they do their practice tests timed? There's a lot of variables but I feel like for most the AAMC scored is a reliable predictor.

Hey guys. I want to give a little backstory and to apologize if my first post came off as bragging.

To put things in perspective, my 510 this time around was a retake. I originally got a 498 last July! But I didn't dedicate a full year to studying, like I probably should have. This whole past year I have felt paralyzed by fear of failure. My first score made me question everything, including my intelligence. The only major difference this time around for me was actually pacing. The first time I took the MCAT I ran out of time on Chem/Phys (left 20 questions unanswered!) which resulted in a 122. I was so disappointed and emotional that I couldn't concentrate and really bombed CARS that day too (124). My last two sections were a 125 and 127.

Let me repeat. I did NOT spend hours and hours a day studying for months to improve. Instead, a week before my retake, I took the scored AAMC practice test but I used a pacing breakdown I found here on SDN. Basically trying to aim for 8 minutes per passage. Also, saved the discrete questions for last. This alone allowed me to finish the Chem/Phys section on time and prevented a meltdown that affected my first CARS score.

I'm not recommending this to other people. But for some of you out there who are scoring low, the answer might not be more content review. It might be better time management. Food for thought.

Congrats to everyone on this journey no matter what your score is. You are more than your MCAT. There is always a chance for redemption.

Reactions: 4 users