**The Official July 2015 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum,
This is the official thread I've created for all the July test takers. I know its kinda early to start preparing for the July MCAT, but I know some who may have already begun the marathon since the new MCAT requires more than 3 months of study prep. Let's fill the thread with rich MCAT related discussions and be helpful to one another. The white coat down the lane is awaiting us ! Let's go....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you manage to do so well on Psych compared to the FL?

I went into the FL not studying psych at all because I figured I had a 4.0 as a psych major so I had it in the bag lol. After the 70% I thought hey maybe I should read the TPR book, so I did and was pleasantly surprised to see a 129 :)

I figured that I would add my FL scores to add to the data

Actual MCAT (7/18)

C/P - 128
CARS - 125
B/B - 129
P/S - 127
Total = 509

AAMC Fl
C/P - 75%
CARS - 83%
B/B - 85%
P/S - 81%
Total = 81%

AAMC Question Packs
Between 80-93%

TPR
Test 1 - 496
Test 2 - 500

Gold Standard
Test 1 - 502
Test 2 - 500

I am just trying to determine what schools to apply to based on my score. Is a 509 a 30-31 (based on elfe's chart). I am happy that my sciences are high, and I am assuming that the CARS score shouldn't be too detrimental as it is an 8-9?

@Okazaki Frag Grenade @Caffein3

Reactions: 1 users

Actual MCAT (7/18)

C/P - 128
CARS - 125
B/B - 129
P/S - 127
Total = 509

AAMC Fl
C/P - 75%
CARS - 83%
B/B - 85%
P/S - 81%
Total = 81%

AAMC Question Packs
Between 80-93%

TPR
Test 1 - 496
Test 2 - 500

Gold Standard
Test 1 - 502
Test 2 - 500

I am just trying to determine what schools to apply to based on my score. Is a 509 a 30-31 (based on elfe's chart). I am happy that my sciences are high, and I am assuming that the CARS score shouldn't be too detrimental as it is an 8-9?

Yeah the CARS is low but it's an 8 so you should be good there. I would aim for low tier MD, some mid-tier as reaches, and then any DO you want (if you're interested in DO). If your GPA and EC's are good, then I think you have a good shot somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
C/P: 127
CARS: 126
Bio: 127
Psy: 131
Overall: 511 (85%)
Do you think my score is competitive enough? what would the score be in term of the old MCAT?

Actual MCAT (7/18)

C/P - 128
CARS - 125
B/B - 129
P/S - 127
Total = 509

AAMC Fl
C/P - 75%
CARS - 83%
B/B - 85%
P/S - 81%
Total = 81%

AAMC Question Packs
Between 80-93%

TPR
Test 1 - 496
Test 2 - 500

Gold Standard
Test 1 - 502
Test 2 - 500

I got a 507, our break downs are almost identical, but you got a bit better on Bio :) a 125 = ~8-9 so you're fine on that front. Assuming you have a high GPA and ECs you will be plenty competitive PM me or check my MDapps if you wanna see what schools I applied to. 509 is good!

Actual MCAT (7/18)

C/P - 128
CARS - 125
B/B - 129
P/S - 127
Total = 509

AAMC Fl
C/P - 75%
CARS - 83%
B/B - 85%
P/S - 81%
Total = 81%

AAMC Question Packs
Between 80-93%

TPR
Test 1 - 496
Test 2 - 500

Gold Standard
Test 1 - 502
Test 2 - 500

Yes, 509 is 30-31 percentile wise (507 is equivalent to a 30 percentile wise). And 125 in CARS is 8.5 old scale, percentile wise. I think you are in a good shape!

May I ask what your breakdown was in those 2 TPRs you took? I'm specially concerned about CARS

Took MCAT April 18th with... 501: 124/126/127/124
Took July 18th with... 502: 124/126/125/127

Went down in bio and up in psych.
3.933 GPA, over 500 hours clinical experience, over 300 hours non-clinical leadership, IS applicant to Kentucky.
Do you guys think I still even have a chance? I've never been a terrible standardized test taker until now.

C/P: 128
CARS: 125
Bio: 128
Psych: 130

Total: 511

Will my CARS score kill my app????
No
C/P: 128 - 87%
CARS: 128 - 87%
Bio/Biochem: 128 - 87%
Psych/Soc: 128 - 86 %

Overall: 512 - 87%

I got no higher than a 506 on Kaplan's FLs (After they redid the scale. It was a 504 before they redid it). 495 diagnostic.
AAMC FL taken 3 days before my test:
C/P: 81%
CARS: 85%
Bio/Biochem: 80%
Psych/Soc: 78%
Overall: 81%
thank you and congrats
499 was my best FL - but it was by Kaplan. I never took the AAMC FL, just did the questions. 508 actual score.
504!! Woot woot! Im applying!
I love how I got a 500 and my friend who sat it the same day and at the same test center as me got a 520 lol makes me feel like a real ******* haha
500 isn't bad

Yeah the CARS is low but it's an 8 so you should be good there. I would aim for low tier MD, some mid-tier as reaches, and then any DO you want (if you're interested in DO). If your GPA and EC's are good, then I think you have a good shot somewhere.

Not currently interested in DO, but I have a 3.96 GPA, bunch of research, publications, volunteering, and clinical hours so I think I may just shoot for MD this cycle. Thank you for responding!

I got a 507, our break downs are almost identical, but you got a bit better on Bio :) a 129 = ~8-9 so you're fine on that front. Assuming you have a high GPA and ECs you will be plenty competitive PM me or check my MDapps if you wanna see what schools I applied to. 509 is good!

Will do thank you!

Is being asian detrimental? I have 515 mcat balanced sections, 3.55 cumulative, 3.52 sci gpa, and okay (I guess lol) EC's. I would think I at least have a chance somewhere, right? I don't want to go to washU or Harvard, any school in the US is alright with me.

Not currently interested in DO, but I have a 3.96 GPA, bunch of research, publications, volunteering, and clinical hours so I think I may just shoot for MD this cycle. Thank you for responding!
I'm not an expert on this, but trust me, I'd be surprised if you don't get in with those stats, especially given that your sciences are high ;).

So a few of you have mentioned the sciences being high as an advantage..so should I feel comfortable with a 131/126/130/127?
For what it's worth, I am a reapplicant and did terrible on old MCATs (2 28s, with different makeups).

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, quick questions. Do you think med schools look at only over all percentile? Or do they look at each section? CARS didn't go so well, but other 3 were on the average end.....with the new MCAT I'm not sure how it works?

Thanks for your input!! I guess I am worried because of my old score. I felt like I needed a 36 to overshadow the low score. What do you think?

I think we're ok ( I got 2 28s on prev MCATs). Sure, some schools will take our old scores into account, but most schools look at most recent scores....so hopefully they view us as "persistent" as opposed to "lucky". We'll see I guess..

So a few of you have mentioned the sciences being high as an advantage..so should I feel comfortable with a 131/126/130/127?
For what it's worth, I am a reapplicant and did terrible on old MCATs (2 28s, with different makeups).
With a 514 and overall high sections, I don't see the need to worry :) (provided the rest of your app is okay of course). I doubt your app will be rejected simply because of a 126 in CARS..., especially with a 514.

How bad is it to have an unbalanced score? Like, a seriously lopsided one..

B - 132
BC - 132
CARS - 125
PS - 132

Apparently, I got completely killed by CARS. Any input is appreciated.

B - 132
BC - 132
CARS - 125
PS - 132

Yeah your score is absolutely putrid. Just god awful.

With a 514 and overall high sections, I don't see the need to worry :) (provided the rest of your app is okay of course). I doubt your app will be rejected simply because of a 126 in CARS..., especially with a 514.
For what it's worth...I'm applying to low/mid tier MD schools..no research..but plenty of clinical experience/shadowing/ECs. I'll just go with the flow I guess. haha

B - 132
BC - 132
CARS - 125
PS - 132

Yo I have to ask, what were you getting for CARS on practice tests/sections? That really is insane lol.

520. I'm in absolute tears.

519 Overall!!
Chem/Phys 129
CARS 129
Bio 131
Psych 130

CRYING

HOLY SHOSIDNFPSDIFHPSF

I almost stopped breathing and my heart is still racing

C/P 131
CARS 128
B/B 132
P/S 129

Overall 520

I can't believe it

Edit: for those interested in FL scores, although I stand by my point that none of them reproduce the exam well or really predict your performance:

Kaplan 1+2, TPR1 = 503-504
AAMC FL = 88/93/90/88

AAMC FL:

C/P: 83%
CARS: 92%
Bio: 88%
Psych: 87%

Actual (July 18th):
C/P: 129
CARS: 128
Bio: 130
Psych: 131
Total: 518

Congrats you guys! Would you mind posting some advice on how you studied for the MCAT?? Would really appreciate it!

@bassgod that is unfortunate! Each school puts different weight on verbal but a 125 (8-9) is not terrible! Go with it if your apps are good to go and you're not aiming only for high-tier.

Otherwise, at least you know you just have to work on one section so practice the hell out of verbal and rewrite in September? I know several people that got 7-8 on their MCAT then jumped to 10 rewriting in the same summer. Even if you're too late for this cycle it will be easier than having to study all the other material again for April next year. CARS is a really elusive section because its more of a "how you feel" about an answer than what you know is right so you can definitely improve on it (I jumped from 7 on the old test to a 128).

Be proud of your other sections, you were merciless!

@040111333 Thanks but I would rather not post a lengthy "how I studied" post here so maybe I will make a separate thread later this week. I think a lot of us just want to bask in our relief rather than type up details of how we studied. #too soon

C/P - 130
CARS - 124
B/B - 131
P/S - 130
Total - 515

I knew that I choked bad on CARS during the exam. Will this low CARS score hurt my app majorly? cGPA - 3.83, sGPA 3.73

Last edited:
Some advice /encouragement would be nice. 3.45cgpa,3.45sgpa. Scored 128CP,125cars,128bio,124psych and 505 total 68 percent. I'm a cali resident, and hope to try the UCs as my reaches, any chance? What about DOs? Please advise!! :(

Some advice /encouragement would be nice. 3.45cgpa,3.45sgpa. Scored 128CP,125cars,128bio,124psych and 505 total 68 percent. I'm a cali resident, and hope to try the UCs as my reaches, any chance? What about DOs? Please advise!! :(

Same boat as you. 506 here. Pretty much same GPAs. I think we're in the mix for DO, but MD is a big reach. I'm planning on retaking Sept.

Is it concerning that I have still not received my score online?

Okayokay sounding like everyone here but I am so conflicted as to how to feel about my score right now and need to know if my CP will kill my app and if I should plan to retake:

CP 124
CARS 131
Bio 128
Psych 132

Like damn. I expected to get at least a 125-126 on that CP section I'm not sure what happened. And now I'm really worried because I didn't even hit 125 on that section. :(

Edit: for people who are curious, my AAMC FL scores were 59%/85%/68%/76% (I finished the psych section under 30 minutes because I need to pee).
Great job! What did you use to study for psych?? Khan??

My mind is kinda blown that I got a 130 in C/P since that was always my worst section in practice tests. I effing hate physics. I mean... I'm very happy... but how did that happen? :laugh:

I was too in shock earlier to post details but here is some more info -

520 overall
C/P - 130
CARS - 128
B/BC - 131
P/S - 131

I'm so incredibly happy.

AAMC FL ~ 1 week before the test
85/91/80/86

Kaplan
Diagnostic - 498
FL 1 - 498 (2 weeks before the test, was quite a shock)
FL 3 - 508 (1 week before the test. I studied a lot in between the two but was still very confused by this haha)

I got a 506 w/following breakdown:
CARS: 125 (I was convinced that this would be my highest section after taking the exam. I mean, I actually enjoyed the passages!)
B/BC: 126 (expected)
Psych: 126 (expected, didn't know half the ****) on there.

I'm definitely want to retake it but I am debating whether I should retake next month (9/23) or next year.

Would really appreciate info on some of high scoring ppl (withholding envy!) on what you used to study bio and especially Psych.

Meh biffed it and am embarrassed :bang:. A retake is in my future. Now to drown myself with online scribe training. Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread it has made this process more tolerable than if I was lone rangering it.

My scores are:

Psych/Soc: 127
Chem/Phys: 130
Bio: 131

Total: 514/91%

Overall, not unhappy with the score, but not particularly excited either (given I had set my sights on many top 20s). :/ If it helps anyone, I only cracked 500 once on the Kaplan practice tests (fully aware that the practice really underestimates your score). I also scored a 30 on the old MCAT (11/7/12 PS/VR/BS). I have excellent research/recs and strong physics/CS background so I hope that helps my case in my mid-tier/top 20 apps.

Good luck to everyone!

Longish time lurker. Thanks for keeping me sane throughout this process

Actual
Total 517
C/P: 130
B/BC: 131
P/S: 130

AAMC FL (one month before test and after one month studying): C/P: 76% CARS: 75% B/BC: 89% P/S: 75% overall: 79.5%
Free TPR: 504
Kaplan advanced FL: 500

I got a 506 w/following breakdown:
CARS: 125 (I was convinced that this would be my highest section after taking the exam. I mean, I actually enjoyed the passages!)
B/BC: 126 (expected)
Psych: 126 (expected, didn't know half the ****) on there.

I'm definitely want to retake it but I am debating whether I should retake next month (9/23) or next year.

Would really appreciate info on some of high scoring ppl (withholding envy!) on what you used to study bio and especially Psych.

Same boat. Sigh... 9/23 date doesn't even have all the normal locations (odd b/c 9/12 etc all have open slots everywhere)... not even all the states are on that date. The ones that are have obscure locations. Ugh just when you think you might at least catch a break on a retake test date...

My scores are:

Psych/Soc: 127
Chem/Phys: 130
Bio: 131

Total: 514/91%

Overall, not unhappy with the score, but not particularly excited either (given I had set my sights on many top 20s). :/ If it helps anyone, I only cracked 500 once on the Kaplan practice tests (fully aware that the practice really underestimates your score). I also scored a 30 on the old MCAT (11/7/12 PS/VR/BS). I have excellent research/recs and strong physics/CS background so I hope that helps my case in my mid-tier/top 20 apps.

Good luck to everyone!

I feel like your my twin..we said the exact same thing..with the exact same score..except I was C/P 131 and Bio 130. Also my sights are mid to low tier schools due to my lack of research.

Everyone who thinks they can't do it.... YOU CAN (You just have to work very, very hard). I'm still not going to harvard or anything but I am incredibly happy!

I put in a good 500+ hours to this test because I was thinking all hope was lost after an abysmal first Kaplan FL score of 494. I worked my a** off and still averaged around a 501 on Kaplan FLs the month before the test. (EDIT: I just checked my Kaplan FL scores and since they have changed the scales I averaged about a 504)

Here are my scores:
AAMC Official guide questions:
total: 80%
PS: 76%
CARS 93%
BIO: 66%
PSYCH: 86%

AAMC FL
total: 79%
CARS 77%
BIO 76%
PSYCH 86%

ACTUAL MCAT: July 18th
total: 516 (95%ile)
PS: 129 (93%ile)
CARS 128 (87%ile)
BIO 129 (93%ile)
PSYCH 130 (97%ile)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alhumdullilah times a million for all my Muslim test-takers, especially for us who had to study during Ramadan this year and took the exam the day of/day after Eid! It worked out for me and I am super happy with my score. I got a 26 on my December 6th MCAT last year and was devastated, now got a 510!!! I had no hope before, but now Alhumdullulah, something will work out hopefully.
Breakdown:
C/P: 130
Cars: 125
B/B: 128
P/S: 127

I know, not spectacular but good enough for me :)

AAMC FL done 1 week before:
80% average
C/P: 80%
Cars: 70%
B/B: 80%
P/S: 86%

I'm a psych major and got an A+ on my biochem class I took this past semester. Can't imagine taking this exam without biochem. Khan Academy was good for psych, but ultimately I feel like it's an either you know it or you don't kind of deal. So. whatever lol

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone who thinks they can't do it.... YOU CAN (You just have to work very, very hard). I'm still not going to harvard or anything but I am incredibly happy!

I put in a good 500+ hours to this test because I was thinking all hope was lost after an abysmal first Kaplan FL score of 494. I worked my a** off and still averaged around a 501 on Kaplan FLs the month before the test.

Here are my scores:
AAMC Official guide questions:
total: 80%
CARS 93%
BIO: 66%
PSYCH: 86%

AAMC FL
total: 79%
CARS 77%
BIO 76%
PSYCH 86%

ACTUAL MCAT: July 18th
total: 516 (95%ile)
PS: 129 (93%ile)
CARS 128 (87%ile)
BIO 129 (93%ile)
PSYCH 130 (97%ile)

Hey!! No doubting yourself. I know people that have gotten into Harvard with a 30 MCAT lol it's very doable and congrats on your AMAZING score. Teach me your ways :)

Reactions: 2 users

B - 132
BC - 132
CARS - 125
PS - 132

Didn't you say you had a blackout during CARS? Your score seems suspicious...everything is 132 but the one section you had a black out is 125? I would check with AAMC that your section was properly scored.