**The Official July 2015 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum,
This is the official thread I've created for all the July test takers. I know its kinda early to start preparing for the July MCAT, but I know some who may have already begun the marathon since the new MCAT requires more than 3 months of study prep. Let's fill the thread with rich MCAT related discussions and be helpful to one another. The white coat down the lane is awaiting us ! Let's go....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm did u score decent on their practice tests? I am not familiar with their scaling of their actual practice tests. Wondered how you thought you would do based on their tests?

I did about the same. I scored 499, 499, 498, 503, 503 on TPR tests in that order and then scored 500 on the real thing. Bio and c/p were pretty much identical to my TPR scores, similar verbal. Only place I dropped significantly on the real test was psych for whatever bizarre reason (funny cause thats the only section I finished with time to spare and was my best section throughout my FL practice). I thought I would do better just because everyone said on here TPR tests have a tougher scale.

My friend averaged around 507 on TPR and ended up with a 520 on the same july test I took and she only prepped with TPR material. I've generally heard people do better on the real test vs test prep companies (this makes sense to make it harder so that you can't exercise your score or money back guarantee clause or whatever its called). I think I'm just an outlier for performing the same. Most dudes like @Okazaki Frag Grenade did a lot better on the real test compared to TPR so I'm probably an outlier (IMO always better to take harder practice tests so that you feel more prepared on test day)

Members don't see this ad :)
I did about the same. I scored 499, 499, 498, 503, 503 on TPR tests in that order and then scored 500 on the real thing. Bio and c/p were pretty much identical to my TPR scores, similar verbal. Only place I dropped significantly on the real test was psych for whatever bizarre reason (funny cause thats the only section I finished with time to spare and was my best section throughout my FL practice). I thought I would do better just because everyone said on here TPR tests have a tougher scale.

My friend averaged around 507 on TPR and ended up with a 520 on the same july test I took and she only prepped with TPR material. I've generally heard people do better on the real test vs test prep companies (this makes sense to make it harder so that you can't exercise your score or money back guarantee clause or whatever its called). I think I'm just an outlier for performing the same. Most dudes like @Okazaki Frag Grenade did a lot better on the real test compared to TPR so I'm probably an outlier (IMO always better to take harder practice tests so that you feel more prepared on test day)
Same story here. I got like 4 499s and a 504 and ended up with a 503 prepped only with tpr

Check out this thread because you and I and a few others are in the same boat. The practice scores we received compared to our real test make NO SENSE.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rescoring-july-mcat.1156845/

Check out this thread because you and I and a few others are in the same boat. The practice scores we received compared to our real test make NO SENSE.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rescoring-july-mcat.1156845/
Not sure if that post really applies to me because my score wasn't outrageously bad I did get 51st percentile and it's not like I'm some genius expecting miracles. I did 123 on c/p which seems accurate considering its my worst section on all my tests never broke 124. My 127 on cars seems accurate so I don't think they messed that up. 125 on bio seems normal for me I was Btwn 124-126 on it for tpr. Pretty hard for there to be a scoring mistake on a CBT w no essay. I've never heard of a rescore helping unless you got like a 0 percent or a power failure or something really bizarre

Interesting. Anyone score same or less on the actual test vs their Kaplan full length scores?

From what I've seen Kaplan has a really tough scale/questions so most people do outrageously better. Much harder than TPR it seems.

I don't think I have seen an actual mcat score lower than the Kaplan full length??
I don't think there could possibly be an actual score lower than Kaplan FLs, especially scores they gave before they redid their scoring system. I got 501s before my actual test and after they redid the scoring it said I had some 504s and 506s. My actual score was much better than that. You can pretty much guarantee on doing much better on the real thing. Can't speak for TPR as much, I only took one of theirs and got a 503.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I did. I scored worse than every single one of my practice FL's and my percentile much lower than my AAMC FL (not even a ballpark of +/- 10%). There had to have been a fluke.

... Or maybe I really did do that bad? Guess I'll find out in 3 weeks.

What did you end up getting? and what was your FL average?

Members don't see this ad :)
As time passes by... a 500-505 on TPR/Kaplan FLs is not so hot anymore.... April/May seemed like the perfect time to take the new MCAT I think... my person feelings anyways..

I was curious if someone could PLEASE share the link to the thread with the full results of MCATs. I recall a thread where ppl compared the MCAT scores to their practice tests scores on a spreadsheet.. Anybody??

Ugh, filing out these secondaries... how did you guys do the "diversity" essay? Can I talk about my non-trad work experience making me unique?

Also, that long "why us" Georgetown essay +pity+

<50th Percentile

Avg. FL's were 503 for TPR. My AAMC FL percentage was 79%.

Hmm. Well I wish you luck on a re-score but I've never heard of it making a difference unless someone got like straight 118 on sections. My AAMC FL was 68% so I was never doing so hot to begin with and ended up with 51st percentile. Don't really think my score was that out of the ordinary for how I was testing. The only reason I scored 503 on a couple TPRs was cause I started crushing psych but anyone can have a bad section.

Hi- I am retaking in 2 weeks- I wrote my MCAT in July did not do well and my Kaplan account expired shortly after. I would like to get back access to my account just for 2 weeks- anyone know what I should do/ have experience with this? Obviously I would not like to pay since I have already so much. thanks

EDIT: so everyone seems to praise EK- how much for 1 or 2 of their full lengths?? thanks. And is there somewhere where I can just get CARS passages- I am just looking to improve this section

Hi- I am retaking in 2 weeks- I wrote my MCAT in July did not do well and my Kaplan account expired shortly after. I would like to get back access to my account just for 2 weeks- anyone know what I should do/ have experience with this? Obviously I would not like to pay since I have already so much. thanks

EDIT: so everyone seems to praise EK- how much for 1 or 2 of their full lengths?? thanks. And is there somewhere where I can just get CARS passages- I am just looking to improve this section
I had this happen to me also. I was planning on taking the test in April but pushed it back to july. My mcat course online materials expired at the end of may so I called to see how they could help me and you actually get to take one extra complimentary class if yours expires. For me, I didn't want to take another in person class, and especially for you only needing two weeks of access, you can have them register you in a self-paced course where you will have access to qbanks, PBQs, and FL practice tests. BUT you won't get to see any of your old stuff that you completed since that particular account has expired

An EK full length costs $50.00. There are 4 of them currently.

Hi All!
I just got my July 18th results back and I'm not sure if I should try and retake or not my scores are:
Physical Sciences -127
Verbal- 126
Bio -129
Psych- 131
Overall 513
I'm from canada and worried about my verbal score. The cut off at a major school here is 125 this year. Any thoughts?

Hi All!
I just got my July 18th results back and I'm not sure if I should try and retake or not my scores are:
Physical Sciences -127
Verbal- 126
Bio -129
Psych- 131
Overall 513
I'm from canada and worried about my verbal score. The cut off at a major school here is 125 this year. Any thoughts?

Which schools are you applying to? I'll give you some thoughts:
1.) U of T - meh, MCAT is really a cut off doesn't mean much at all its the rest of your app that matters
2.) Queens - generally needed a composite of 32 with only one section under 10 with that section NOT being Verbal - they may be more forgiving though - worth to apply - worth to re-write again? hmm unsure
3.) Western - Historically you would need the equivalent of PS/VR/BS 9/11/12 or higher (sometimes 13 in BS) so with your score your Verbal would probably cut you out ( I was in the same boat) - so while you can apply since this year may be different if you really want Western, you'll have to re-write.
4.) Ottawa/NOSM - don't look at MCAT
5.) Manitoba - you usually would need a composite score of 36 with a balance, your score may be good enough here but its hard to say, you may still be on the lower end of spectrum given that verbal is weighed heavily but so is bio so...who knows
6.) U of S - i would apply in general since your overall composite isn't so bad
7.) U of A - unless you are out province you need a minimum of 128 in Verbal. If you are in province, then the score seems like it would be around a 32-33 which is average for accepting people if you have a strong GPA keep the sore
8.) U of C - if not inprovince - minimum is a 127, so would need to rewrite. Don't recall what inprovince is like.
9.) Dalhousie - should be fine
10.) McMaster - generally need a 127+ and ideally 128 + a GPA of 3.85+ to be considered for interview
10.) UBC, McGill, MUM + french schools - dunno look at their requirements.

Hope this helps!

Hi All!
Physical Sciences -127
Verbal- 126
Bio -129
Psych- 131
Overall 513

Which schools are you applying to? I'll give you some thoughts:
1.) U of T - meh, MCAT is really a cut off doesn't mean much at all its the rest of your app that matters
2.) Queens - generally needed a composite of 32 with only one section under 10 with that section NOT being Verbal - they may be more forgiving though - worth to apply - worth to re-write again? hmm unsure
3.) Western - Historically you would need the equivalent of PS/VR/BS 9/11/12 or higher (sometimes 13 in BS) so with your score your Verbal would probably cut you out ( I was in the same boat) - so while you can apply since this year may be different if you really want Western, you'll have to re-write.
4.) Ottawa/NOSM - don't look at MCAT
5.) Manitoba - you usually would need a composite score of 36 with a balance, your score may be good enough here but its hard to say, you may still be on the lower end of spectrum given that verbal is weighed heavily but so is bio so...who knows
6.) U of S - i would apply in general since your overall composite isn't so bad
7.) U of A - unless you are out province you need a minimum of 128 in Verbal. If you are in province, then the score seems like it would be around a 32-33 which is average for accepting people if you have a strong GPA keep the sore
8.) U of C - if not inprovince - minimum is a 127, so would need to rewrite. Don't recall what inprovince is like.
9.) Dalhousie - should be fine
10.) McMaster - generally need a 127+ and ideally 128 + a GPA of 3.85+ to be considered for interview
10.) UBC, McGill, MUM + french schools - dunno look at their requirements.

Hope this helps!

Just to add to the list above:

UBC: 125 minimum in each section - MCAT is not heavily weighted
McGill: MCAT is not required

Phys Chem: 131
CARS: 129
Bio: 131
P/S: 130

99% rank overall with a 521

Studied 7 months and messed up a previous exam with a 505. took the risk of of applying a month late for 1 more try. I'm in shock.... I feel more proud of my mcat score than I feel like I would being accepted to med school because this mcat has been such a journey/nightmare. Taught myself biochem, anatomy, physiology, and had to relearn all of my premed material since I've been graduated for 2 years doing nothing. Been lurking this thread for weeks so I appreciate all the funny comments and camaraderie that made me feel less lonely in this strange struggle that no one else besides my fellow premeds understand. Thanks for the info and entertainment and I wish you all the best.

what material did you use?

what material did you use?
I only used Kaplan and the AAMC official outline. Kaplan is overkill on psych, anatomy, and sociology but otherwise good depth. Their practice exams are also unrealistically difficult and I mostly used them to improve my test taking strategies and timing.

Hey all! So I took the August 21st mcat and am waiting on my scores. I was wondering if you guys could comment on whether your AAMC practice test percentage(s) correlated with your actual MCAT's percentile(s)? I know that percentage(s) and percentile(s) are different concepts but I was wondering if your AAMC practice test percentage(s) were a good indicator of your actual MCAT percentile(s)? Would appreciate your feedback/input!!!

Hey all! So I took the August 21st mcat and am waiting on my scores. I was wondering if you guys could comment on whether your AAMC practice test percentage correlated with your actual MCAT's percentile. I know that percentage and percentile are different but I was wondering if your AAMC practice test percentage was a good indicator of your actual MCAT percentile. Would appreciate your feedback/input!!!

My percentage was slightly lower than my percentile. I got 81% for my AAMC FL 3 days before the test and got 87 percentile on the real thing. Oddly enough, I tried to use the % from my FL and compared it to my section scores received from Kaplan (before the switch they made) to estimate my score on the FL and ended up with that exact score on my real test.

Hey all! So I took the August 21st mcat and am waiting on my scores. I was wondering if you guys could comment on whether your AAMC practice test percentage(s) correlated with your actual MCAT's percentile(s)? I know that percentage(s) and percentile(s) are different concepts but I was wondering if your AAMC practice test percentage(s) were a good indicator of your actual MCAT percentile(s)? Would appreciate your feedback/input!!!

I got 4 points lower on the percentile (on the real thing) compared to my percentage right (on the practice test) in July. I just retook the test today! Fingers crossed!

Hey guys! I know that Kaplan recently re-adjusted their scales. Does anyone know how their current scale compare to the actual MCAT's scale? Is it closer to the actual mcat? I know people who scored in the 500-505 region in April/May/June ended up scoring in the 90th percentile on their actual test. Is this still the case or is Kaplan's scale similar to the actual mcat now?!?! I took the August mcat and am waiting on my score. I was scoring in the 495-500 region and was wondering how to interpret my scores?!?

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel like they forgot everything they studied? I feel bad because I did well on the MCAT but now feel like it's all gone and kinda wanna start reviewing again in my free time :/

Reactions: 2 users
how are interview invites going for people applying this cycle? I have two so far after about a month since I finished my secondaries

Reactions: 1 users
3 IIs with 2 MD and 1 DO. No rejections so far, but silence on 14 MD schools. Though I was complete last week of August, so I'll be patient until November rolls around. haha.

Miss everyone!

I am 1 for 1 but my committee letter wasn't uploaded until the 14th, so I probably won't hear anything for another 2-3 weeks!

1 II (which actually came before I got my new MCAT scores back), no rejections, 24 cases of radio silence. I submitted 10 secondaries before the scores and the rest in the week or two after (all by the end of August), so hoping to hear something soon!

mostly silence.

and I'm not even in the ER haha.

but meh, my new mcat doesn't seem to have helped me much at all really.

mostly silence.

and I'm not even in the ER haha.

but meh, my new mcat doesn't seem to have helped me much at all really.

Don't panic yet! I'm still waiting on complete emails for a couple of applications submitted within two days of score release. If schools are that far behind, I'm cool with playing the waiting game for a while longer. I've had one II (before scores were released, so must have been based on an old exam) and 2 rejections, but radio silence from 21 other schools.

*Edit: almost immediately after I submitted this I got an II. Looks like I need to post more!

Last edited: