The Official January 26th, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMa23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to see how many people are taking it....

How many retakers? I am one

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC average: 31
Predicted: NO IDEA
Actual: 31
VR: 9
PS: 10
BS: 12

GPA: 3.76 (engineering)
Non-trad applicant

I know this is spot on for the average matriculant :/, but I assume I should not retake to boost the VR? Too risky I think. Hope everyone did well!

I wouldn't retake it, personally. VR is a little below avg, but not terribly so. You got 30+ and the scores are reasonably balanced. Few/no schools will screen you out. Your GPA is good. Assuming your ECs are good, and you apply broadly, then I think you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
VR: 10 (MCAT PRACTICE: 10.2)
PS: 14 (MCAT PRACTICE: 13.2)
BS: 15 (MCAT PRACTICE: 13.3)

OVERALL: 39

AVERAGE OF MCAT PRACTICE: 36.67

+ English as second language, so happy with VR score

There are some really great scores posted here. Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your strategies, study material and TBR passage scores if applicable?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey y'all. So bittersweet result, but happy I showed improvement. I improved my score from an abysmal 23 to a 29. AH So close to that 30, not sure if I'll retake or not, but either way giving myself a pat on the back for not letting that initial score discourage me and showing that I am capable of improving. Who knows, maybe one more shot and I will get that 30+ :).

Total Score: 36
Physical: 11
Verbal: 13
Biological: 12

I could not be happier with my score. My practices were hovering around 36 but ranged from a 30 to a 39. I was hoping I could stick with my average and I'm so happy I was able to.

First time taker, scored a 31 (10PS, 9VR, 12BS)

I have the potential to do better, but I'm definitely happy with it and not considering a retake. Would have liked to get a 10 in VR, but I have a 4.0cGPA and 2 years of research under my belt, so I should be alright with a relatively balanced 31.

Also, seeing as I was horribly sick the entire week leading up to the test, I'll definitely take a 31 :)

Congrats to the rest of you, those are some insane scores!

30, i aint mad

looks look i will be a doctor. It's been a great journey to take the MCAT with you guys. I'm officially retiring myself from this website until the nitty gritty of the application cycle

MCAT ‏@AAMC_MCAT
Scheduling and Registration is currently unavailable do to technical issues. We will provide an update as soon as possible.

What could the problem be?:rolleyes:

Anybody think the exam was hard and still do ok? It seems like most of the high scorers thought that the exam was easy. I'm still too scared to check

First time taker, scored a 31 (10PS, 9VR, 12BS)

I have the potential to do better, but I'm definitely happy with it and not considering a retake. Would have liked to get a 10 in VR, but I have a 4.0cGPA and 2 years of research under my belt, so I should be alright with a relatively balanced 31.

Also, seeing as I was horribly sick the entire week leading up to the test, I'll definitely take a 31 :)

Congrats to the rest of you, those are some insane scores!

Same breakdown here!I think retaking is too risky. I think we're still competitive!

Anybody think the exam was hard and still do ok? It seems like most of the high scorers thought that the exam was easy. I'm still too scared to check

I did well (14/13/12) and didn't think the exam was easy at all! While I had plenty of time left over for both BS and PS in all my practice tests even after checking everything I wanted to go over, I used all my time for the actual test, so I definitely came out expecting the worst. I think I just got extremely lucky with the questions I struggled with!! :p

2nd time taking it in 3.5 years (I applied last year and got wait listed)

14PS (^ 2)
13BS (^ 4)
11VR (unch)

So stoked, went from low 30s to 38! I did my own MCAT studying routine, didn't get to practice tests until early-Jan since I mainly focused on passages. I didn't actually sit down to do a full test until the Saturday of. Whoops ...

I had to fly across the country to take it, so I better not have to take it again! :p

For everyone who didn't get the score they wanted --- it's not the end of the world. Focus on what you need to get done, then go out and do it. I've been chasing going to med school for years now, and after my brief setback last year, this is the first time I've felt major progress to my goal in a long time. Delayed gratification still leads to satisfaction.

Last edited:
AAMC 10/11 average: 32-33
Actual: 11/11/11 = 33!!!!!!!!!

This was a retake and the first time I got 12/06/11 (29).

Could not be more happier about my improvement in verbal :laugh: :D :) :D Never ever got above a 10 in that section.
Congratulations to everyone and good luck to those who have not checked yet.

I thought it was tremendously difficult and predicted a score 4 points lower than I achieved (39); no one comes out feeling good.

I thought it was tremendously difficult and predicted a score 4 points lower than I achieved (39); no one comes out feeling good.

I came out feeling good. Then again, it wasn't my first MCAT. And I got a much higher score this time around than last.

I thought PS was very difficult (12), but I felt very good about the rest of it, including the extra section.

AAMC 10/11 average: 32-33
Actual: 11/11/11 = 33!!!!!!!!!

This was a retake and the first time I got 12/06/11 (29).

Could not be more happier about my improvement in verbal :laugh: :D :) :D Never ever got above a 10 in that section.
Congratulations to everyone and good luck to those who have not checked yet.

Can I ask you how you studied to improve on Verbal? I got 7 and have used all my TPR, EK and AAMC passages :(

My aamc average was 9/11/10 (30) and I scored 7/9/9 (25). I've never been so disappointed with myself. Congratulations to everyone who earned good scores. Not my day at all.

I felt pretty shaky about the exam. I found the PS section to be quite difficult, and that set the tone for me for the whole test. I was expecting to get a 32ish, so the 35 was a pleasant surprise, especially since I've been having a bad week.

It all felt like a blur to me. For the first 15 minutes of PS I was really overwhelmed that I was taking the actual test. I had taken 8 FL's prior, but the feeling of the actual test was something that really threw me off. I'm really shocked because I thought I was able to calm myself down and get to work though. I thought the most difficult section was BIO, and the most manageable was VR, but I scored the same in each. My scores for verbal never dropped below 10 on my practice AAMC's...Needless to say but I'm pretty devastated

Sighh...definitely going to retake it. I wanted to get 30+ but I didn't. Any advice from retakers on how to study? Clearly, I did something wrong. And congrats to everyone who did well!

37 - 13 VR, 12 BS, 12 PS

I need some honest advice here - do you think I should retake? I am only planning on applying to top 10 medical schools in the USA, as I am an E.U. citizen and have options in the UK, Sweden, and my home country (and I could see myself staying in those locations permanently). I understand that most people think it is radical to apply to fewer than 15 schools, or to apply to only very selective schools, but for me, there is no point in attending med school in the USA unless it is at one of the most elite institutions. I don't mean to be arrogant or disrespectful; that is simply my viewpoint.

I knew on the test day that my performance was not as good as I would have liked it to be. I would have canceled, but my father explicitly prohibited me from doing so. My schedule in the coming months should be more relaxed, so I think I could devote more time than previously to studying. When I took the practice AAMC's, my scores were ranged from 35 to 41, and I am somewhat disappointed that I did not strike on the higher end of that scale.

On another note, congratulations to everyone who was able to achieve their personal goals:).

I'll be the first failure post:

PS: 12
BS: 11
VR: 3

I'm shocked. Time to go die in a corner... I don't even know how that 12 happened either.

:):thumbup::D
AAMC Average (36-37)
Actual: 12/10/12 - 34

I'm so unbelievable happy!! This was my third time taking it and was basically do or die. I'm in a joint medical program and needed a certain score to keep my seat and I got it this time. Going to med school next year woop woop!

IT CAN BE DONE EVERYONE!!!

35435583.jpg

37 - 13 VR, 12 BS, 12 PS

I need some honest advice here - do you think I should retake? I am only planning on applying to top 10 medical schools in the USA, as I am an E.U. citizen and have options in the UK, Sweden, and my home country (and I could see myself staying in those locations permanently). I understand that most people think it is radical to apply to fewer than 15 schools, or to apply to only very selective schools, but for me, there is no point in attending med school in the USA unless it is at one of the most elite institutions. I don't mean to be arrogant or disrespectful; that is simply my viewpoint.

I knew on the test day that my performance was not as good as I would have liked it to be. I would have canceled, but my father explicitly prohibited me from doing so. My schedule in the coming months should be more relaxed, so I think I could devote more time than previously to studying. When I took the practice AAMC's, my scores were ranged from 35 to 41, and I am somewhat disappointed that I did not strike on the higher end of that scale.

On another note, congratulations to everyone who was able to achieve their personal goals:).

This guy serious? :laugh: A 37 will not limit you in any way. Take the next coming months to get far away from your dad

Dear O Grady,

Did you read the entirety of my post? I am inquiring not whether a 37 is sufficient to get into medical school, but specifically, whether I could get into somewhere like HMS or JHU with a 37. I did not intend my original question as a joke.

For those who scored above a 33 - I'm planning on retaking on the April date (when the system comes back up)

Would you guys be willing to share how you studied for this one? I'm confident that I'll cream this upcoming one! hopefully haha

For those who scored above a 33 - I'm planning on retaking on the April date (when the system comes back up)

Would you guys be willing to share how you studied for this one? I'm confident that I'll cream this upcoming one! hopefully haha

Why only those who scored above a 33?

Dear O Grady,

Did you read the entirety of my post? I am inquiring not whether a 37 is sufficient to get into medical school, but specifically, whether I could get into somewhere like HMS or JHU with a 37. I did not intend my original question as a joke.

Yes I did. While I understand thats what you are aiming for, you should keep in mind that some of us mortals would kill a family of four to score that well on the MCAT, and it seems like you're rubbing you're score in the faces of those who may have not done so well. Your MCAT is at/above average for both of those schools, so if you are worried so badly about getting into a top school, its going to come down to your EC's, research, and gpa. Essentially, your MCAT will not hold you back, so retaking and scoring a few points higher won't matter.