The Official January 26th, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMa23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to see how many people are taking it....

How many retakers? I am one

Members don't see this ad.

Hello cuculici1,

I don't think you should retake. Your biological and physical are excellent. Although your verbal score is an 8 - which might be a cut off for some schools - I think you still have a good chance of getting into medical school. If you think you should retake this is up to you, but your chances are going to be considering if your personal statement, gpa and extracurricular are great as well. I have not taken the MCAT but when I went to a private MCAT tutor, a score above 30 and a gpa of 3.5 or more, a 10 or more on both science (tells admission committees you will do well on the biological) - you have a good chance.

Thanks for the advice man. I still need to think about it, two things I have working against me are a slightly below average gpa (3.5) and California residence, but it's good to get as many opinions as possible.

To those reading this thread that haven't taken the MCAT yet, my advice would be to shoot for a score several points above what you think you need. In my case, I averaged a 33.4 on the AAMC's with a standard deviation of 2.2, so statistically I had a 68% chance of scoring in the 31-35 range. While there are plenty of people who score at their average and even a few points above, you should also realize that there is an equally likely chance you will also score a couple of points below.

Last edited:
What do you guys think? Worth sending in a rescore for peace of mind? I just find my verbal so hard to believe considering I was scoring 7-9 on the aamc exams and that I read and answered every question for every passage and I scored in the 2-4%tile...

I'm the meantime I'll be doing practice passages and wallowing in my own mediocrity.

I'd go for it. If you can get verbal up to your AAMC range and maintain your science sections, you could score around a 30 which would definitely improve your application.

Wow, when I checked my score I felt really smart. But seeing all these ridiculously high scores and coupled with the fact that I got the lowest score of the people I know in my dorm (the others were: 35, 39, 43).

I'm starting to feel a little dumb.

:scared: :mad: :(

:eek: Seriously? You feel dumb with a 35? Keep in mind that a lot of us have worked our asses of and are extremely satisfied with scores lower than that. Stop comparing yourself to a select few and look at the bigger picture, a 35 is the 95th percentile.

So sorry but suck it up and be happy with your excellent score :annoyed:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, got my scores back... it was a 22 (7 PS, 7 VR, 8 BS)... I'm sort of bummed out with that score, but I'm not too surprised either. The exam was more challenging than I would have expected.

I guess it's obvious I have to take it again, but even then, I wonder if this would be a decent score to apply to schools with.

Probably not.

:eek: Seriously? You feel dumb with a 35? Keep in mind that a lot of us have worked our asses of and are extremely satisfied with scores lower than that. Stop comparing yourself to a select few and look at the bigger picture, a 35 is the 95th percentile.

So sorry but suck it up and be happy with your excellent score :annoyed:

I meant it somewhat in jest. But after the scores got released there was a flood of 37+ and that was a little shocking.

Well, got my scores back... it was a 22 (7 PS, 7 VR, 8 BS)... I'm sort of bummed out with that score, but I'm not too surprised either. The exam was more challenging than I would have expected.

I guess it's obvious I have to take it again, but even then, I wonder if this would be a decent score to apply to schools with.

Probably not.
What made this particular exam so difficult? Were your aamc 3-11 not reflective of this test?

I know a lot of the posts in the first few pages after taking the test, folks thought it was difficult, but was it vastly different from the practice material? I'm worried about getting some weird outlier test :scared:

Probably not.

How much did you study? How many practice questions did you do? Did you push yourself to near tears?

I started studying since the end of last September. I took a Kaplan course during that Fall semester, taking 15 credits at the same time. I can say that I didn't study as much as I would have liked to, because of my classes. I then did practice exams about a month before the exam.

My AAMC exams were pretty reflective of my actual score, to think of it... I ranged between a 21 to a 27 in my practice tests. Never once did I get a 28+.

I think I did study hard for it, especially from December to January, trying to get it all down before the exam date. Overall, I used Kaplan, AAMC, Examkrackers, the 1001 questions (mostly for physics and gen chem), I watched Kahn Academy, did EK Verbal passages... so yeah.

Maybe I was rushing to get the exam over with. I didn't want to take a year off after I graduate, so this was the golden opportunity I had to take it.

I plan to meet with an advisor and see if this score is feasible to apply with. Otherwise, I'll have to retake it, maybe even next year.

And yeah, this exam to me was sort of outlier-ish. I'd say it was harder than AAMC 11... and I got the same exact score on that one.

Hello fellow 1/26'ers. I posted earlier but I think it may have gotten overlooked. This was my first time taking and I got a 30 (PS: 11/ VR:11/ BS:8). Should I retake? I feel like I can do better but don't know if it's worth the stress. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello fellow 1/26'ers. I posted earlier but I think it may have gotten overlooked. This was my first time taking and I got a 30 (PS: 11/ VR:11/ BS:8). Should I retake? I feel like I can do better but don't know if it's worth the stress. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you know you can do better for 100% sure, then why not?
If not, dont risk it.

What do you guys think? Worth sending in a rescore for peace of mind? I just find my verbal so hard to believe considering I was scoring 7-9 on the aamc exams and that I read and answered every question for every passage and I scored in the 2-4%tile...

I'm the meantime I'll be doing practice passages and wallowing in my own mediocrity.

I know others have already answered this question, but: YES. Absolutely ask for a re-score. The worst that can happen is you're out some cash and your score doesn't change. The best? Your score goes up and you DON'T have to take the MCAT again!

You have nothing to lose.

Depends on the rest of your app. What's your GPA? How much volunteering/shadowing have you done?

Would you be happy with a DO school, or your in-state school? Or do you really want to go to Harvard?

Remember, 30 is the average of all accepted students. So half the people who get in will have a lower score, and half will have a higher score. You're in the middle.

So, you don't have to retake. But the final decision is up to you.

Last edited:
UC Premed, a 45 is absolutely incredible. Congratulations!

On the subject of proof, and I would love some as much as anybody haha, the only thing that would work is a video of you logging into THx and viewing the score. And by video, I mean not screen capture, but like a cell phone video. I've thought about this before haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Premed, a 45 is absolutely incredible. Congratulations!

On the subject of proof, and I would love some as much as anybody haha, the only thing that would work is a video of you logging into THx and viewing the score. And by video, I mean not screen capture, but like a cell phone video. I've thought about this before haha.

Hahaha, that would probably be the only way. Too bad I'm really not comfortable with that since it would reveal my name and everything.

But that's fine if they don't believe me, I know I got lucky anyway, it doesn't make me smart or anything, just got dealt the perfect hand. I don't really have a problem if anyone really believes me or not, it's a personal victory and I felt like sharing it.

Hahaha, that would probably be the only way. Too bad I'm really not comfortable with that since it would reveal my name and everything.

But that's fine if they don't believe me, I know I got lucky anyway, it doesn't make me smart or anything, just got dealt the perfect hand. I don't really have a problem if anyone really believes me or not, it's a personal victory and I felt like sharing it.

Congrats! I'm one of those who'll just believe you but if you need to post a video later for some reason, you can pick a sticky over where your name would be when you log in.

Actual Exam: 38 (14 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)
Average on AAMC 7-11: 42.3

Lower than my practice exams, but I can't say I am that upset.

Can you share with us what you did to prepare for Bio section? Did you use TBR for content review?

I had decided before scores were released that should I score 40+ I was going to claim a 39. There are so few scores in the 40's that claiming the score is tantamount to going public with your ID. Remember, a lot of people will see your file, and while there are hundreds of students around the country with 39s there will be only a few (or one) 45s.

Will you be applying MD only or is there some special program out there that has your interest?

I meant it somewhat in jest. But after the scores got released there was a flood of 37+ and that was a little shocking.

I'm right there with you, being an SDN member can be a little disheartening due to the major skew in the type of people who use this. I got a balanced 32 which is what I was aiming for and also feel a bit disappointed when I see the ocean of 35+ here but just take it with a grain of salt. Know that your 35 is competitive almost everywhere (expect maybe WasU, JH and HMS where it is still way in their range). I reread my original comment and I think it came of a bit more stern than I intended, you should be really really happy about your score because it is excellent. I don't know what your gpa is but it probably puts you in either a 79-86% chance of getting accepted, meaning that you will get accepted and probably have options. Also remember that the difference between a 35 and a 37 is probably only 2-5 questions, so you're not that far off from your friends.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/2012factstable24.pdf

This is a lie, and a pathetic one at that. You did not get a 45... If you were smart enough to get a 45 you would know that it means that you are VERY smart. Not just smart or just lucky but an extreme combination of both. You would basically have to make a 100% on the hardest entrance exam there is... and there is no proof that anyone has EVER gotten a 45. So I highly doubt someone like you, who claims that you "just got dealt the perfect hand," would be one of only a few.

I don't particularly understand the logic behind people like you posting this stuff. You can act all big like "I don't care if you guys believe me because I got a 45 so I am obviously better than you," but the simple fact is that you're lying to make yourself feel better and that's more pathetic than posting the real score you got (20-35 most likely).:thumbdown:

This is a lie, and a pathetic one at that. You did not get a 45... If you were smart enough to get a 45 you would know that it means that you are VERY smart. Not just smart or just lucky but an extreme combination of both. You would basically have to make a 100% on the hardest entrance exam there is... and there is no proof that anyone has EVER gotten a 45. So I highly doubt someone like you, who claims that you "just got dealt the perfect hand," would be one of only a few.

I don't particularly understand the logic behind people like you posting this stuff. You can act all big like "I don't care if you guys believe me because I got a 45 so I am obviously better than you," but the simple fact is that you're lying to make yourself feel better and that's more pathetic than posting the real score you got (20-35 most likely).:thumbdown:

There is absolutely proof that a 45 has been achieved in recent years. UCF has stated that there was a 45 in their first entering class, and it's on their website (or at least used to be).

There is absolutely proof that a 45 has been achieved in recent years. UCF has stated that there was a 45 in their first entering class, and it's on their website (or at least used to be).

Ok, so I am not saying it has never been done, but I would guess only a few times since the test was created... The chances of getting a 15 on any one section are abysmal, but all three together is nearly impossible. The chance of a 15 is <0.001% and while the 3 subscores are not independent the chance of all 3 being 15s would be only slightly better than 0.001*0.001*0.001=0.0000001%.

However, the way this guy acts about it is what gives it away that is bologna. A casual, "just got dealt the right hand" is a huge understatement that no one with the intelligence to get a 45 would ever make.

Anyways...
33z5l5h.jpg

:eek: Chill dude. Even if he is just messing with us, why does it matter. I got a 43 on AAMC #8. If I had guessed correctly on two problems where I had already correctly eliminated all but two (a simple coin toss) it would have been a 45,. The difference between a 38 and a 45 can be nothing but luck. The odds are long, but people do win the lottery.

:eek: Chill dude. Even if he is just messing with us, why does it matter. I got a 43 on AAMC #8. If I had guessed correctly on two problems where I had already correctly eliminated all but two (a simple coin toss) it would have been a 45,. The difference between a 38 and a 45 can be nothing but luck. The odds are long, but people do win the lottery.

He feels :cool: for having everyone like, "OMG how u get 45?!?" That is offensively lame in my opinion... and while it may be possible (congrats on 43 practice), it perpetuates the amount of lying that already occurs on this forum.

Ok, so I am not saying it has never been done, but I would guess only a few times since the test was created... The chances of getting a 15 on any one section are abysmal, but all three together is nearly impossible. The chance of a 15 is <0.001% and while the 3 subscores are not independent the chance of all 3 being 15s would be only slightly better than 0.001*0.001*0.001=0.0000001%.

However, the way this guy acts about it is what gives it away that is bologna. A casual, "just got dealt the right hand" is a huge understatement that no one with the intelligence to get a 45 would ever make.

Anyways...
33z5l5h.jpg

Statistics fail.

You're assuming chances of a 15 in a section based on percentile achievement of 15 in those sections, but you don't know that those data points represent only achieving a 15 in that section. What if the data actually bear out that achieving a 15 in one section is correlated with a 15 in another? You don't know either way, and it's reasonable enough that mastery begets mastery that this should be considered possible. We simply don't have the data to predict actual odds of a 45.

Yeah, UC premed may be lying. Without a video we won't ever know, but who cares? It doesn't change what we know about achieving a 45 either way.

Anyways...
33z5l5h.jpg

The fail is strong in this one.

On another note, UC premed, if you're interested in providing proof, I know how you can provide a video that suffices while retaining total anonymity (other than, of course, the fact that you'll be a very rare 45.) PM me for instructions if you're interested.

On another note, UC premed, if you're interested in providing proof, I know how you can provide a video that suffices while retaining total anonymity (other than, of course, the fact that you'll be a very rare 45.) PM me for instructions if you're interested.

I would wait until after an acceptance. 45s are very rare and theres only a handful in the country so it could easoly be linked back to him

So we did it and scores are here. I have to say I am proud to score in the 30's but was hoping for higher. I really need some advice on whether or not a retake would be wise.

I want to go out of state (Colorado/ California) and know that my score isn't the highest. I put in the time but definitely rushed studying and let nerves get to me on test day. I only took 6 AAMC practice exams due to a time crunch, and my average was 34 ranging from 29-37. I told myself I wouldn't retake in the 30s but feel my score may hinder me as an out of state applicant.

MCAT: 32 (12p, 10v, 10b)
GPA: 4.0
Residence: MI
Human Bio major, nutritional sciences minor, health promotion specialization from MSU

EC: 1.5 years of research, pre-med club e-board, 60 hours as a site leader for an alternative spring break, 120 hours in Tower Guard (sophomore volunteer honor society), 80 hours doctor shadowing, Study abroad to Virgin Islands and second to Dominican Republic (medical study abroad), 100 hours hospital volunteering, a few awards outside scholarships, 50 miscellaneous volunteer hours

Help! Retake or stick it with the 32?

Not sure if troll or just naive, but you'd be a fool to retake your MCAT.

So depressed right now. Trying to study for a retake might be the hardest thing on Earth :( I keep thinking that I lost my precious opportunity and luck. Had I tried a little bit harder on Verbal last time, I would not need to do all of this ever again. A 7 on verbal stinks so badly.

Don't even know if I can get higher score on verbal and the same score on sciences next time

So depressed right now. Trying to study for a retake might be the hardest thing on Earth :( I keep thinking that I lost my precious opportunity and luck. Had I tried a little bit harder on Verbal last time, I would not need to do all of this ever again. A 7 on verbal stinks so badly.

Don't even know if I can get higher score on verbal and the same score on sciences next time

Don't stress. I had a 7 on Verbal last time, just try and suck it up and restudy, then go for it. It will all pay off.

That brings me to my question though, since I improved from a 27 (7V/11BS/9PS) to a 31 (9V/10BS/12PS) will my 27 still be considered much? Or is it just sort of glanced over?

Don't stress. I had a 7 on Verbal last time, just try and suck it up and restudy, then go for it. It will all pay off.

That brings me to my question though, since I improved from a 27 (7V/11BS/9PS) to a 31 (9V/10BS/12PS) will my 27 still be considered much? Or is it just sort of glanced over?

How did you study for verbal the second time?

How did you study for verbal the second time?

I used Kaplan the first time for everything, its verbal was next to useless. The second time though, I used EK's Verbal book. At first glance, it seems a little pointless and tedious. But i gave in and did all the exercises and practice stuff, and it worked at least a little bit! (My average went from 7s on the practice tests to 10s)

Hey all, any recommendation for which "predictor" algorithm to use to find my chances at certain schools? I know they aren't totally accurate or anything. Just curious. I've found a bunch but don't know which to use.

I used Kaplan the first time for everything, its verbal was next to useless. The second time though, I used EK's Verbal book. At first glance, it seems a little pointless and tedious. But i gave in and did all the exercises and practice stuff, and it worked at least a little bit! (My average went from 7s on the practice tests to 10s)

Hey all, any recommendation for which "predictor" algorithm to use to find my chances at certain schools? I know they aren't totally accurate or anything. Just curious. I've found a bunch but don't know which to use.

Get the MSAR and look for schools that have a 29-32 mcat average and accept 20%+ OOS applicants.

I know how that feels. But as a retester, let me tell you that the feeling of getting your score back with improvement outweighs it 1000x.

AAMC average: 29
Real deal: 31 (11, 11, 9)

I was average 8-9 on verbal and busted out an 11 on the real deal (idk how). I took it back in september and got a 27 following SN2er schedule for the WHOLE summer. This actually laid the foundation for my studying over winter break. Over winter break, I just literally do passages everyday and cut back on reviewing. Guys, hard work really do pay off.

Hey how will schools be handling the writing score now? I took last year and got a 27L....... (insert laughs here). But I retook and got a 31 with no writing score. Will I still get screened out based on the L, or will they disregard it? On the MSAR it still shows their writing score medians and such...

Hey how will schools be handling the writing score now? I took last year and got a 27L....... (insert laughs here). But I retook and got a 31 with no writing score. Will I still get screened out based on the L, or will they disregard it? On the MSAR it still shows their writing score medians and such...

Most schools dont care about the writing score; that is the reason AAMC took it out.

Thanks, I'm on MSAR, and I know this is probably a really dumb question...but where does it show OOS vs in-state?

Be careful using those stats. Some schools appear to be OOS friendly, but in fact are not. U of Washington is a prime example. 95% of students are from WA, WY, ID, AK, and MT.

To the individuals who got 30-- when you're in the 30-32 range a retake is not 100% necessary but would not hurt if you know you can score several points higher or would like to get into one of the top 20 schools. 30 is the goal of the majority of people taking the MCAT (keeping in mind SDN is not reflective of the total population of premeds and 25, but nonetheless we are all very serious about pursuing medicine) and is considered the "magic score" for competitiveness.

Most schools dont care about the writing score; that is the reason AAMC took it out.

Yea I kind of figured they don't actually care about it, I was just worried I may have got stuck in a bad situation where I get automatically denied before they even see my application because of a stupid "L" or something.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time reader of SDN, but a first-time writer. I took the MCAT on Jan 26 and got a 28 (11 VR, 8 PS, 9 BS). I have a ton of shadowing/clinical experience, undergrad research at my home institution, as well as at another institution over a summer- both with presentations at nat'l conferences- my gpa will fall close to 3.7 at the time of application, and I believe I will have very strong LORs as well. My weakest part of the app is the MCAT, I think. I live in NY and plan to apply to essentially every medical school in my state (plus a few in NJ/CT). This includes DO schools (which I do not mind attending at all). Would it be worth it to retake the MCAT, with the risk of doing the same as I did the first time, or even worse, because of a very high course/work load? Should I just focus on keeping my GPA as high as possible and maybe pumping out a publication before the end of the year? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated! Good luck everyone!

-A very worried pre-med

Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time reader of SDN, but a first-time writer. I took the MCAT on Jan 26 and got a 28 (11 VR, 8 PS, 9 BS). I have a ton of shadowing/clinical experience, undergrad research at my home institution, as well as at another institution over a summer- both with presentations at nat'l conferences- my gpa will fall close to 3.7 at the time of application, and I believe I will have very strong LORs as well. My weakest part of the app is the MCAT, I think. I live in NY and plan to apply to essentially every medical school in my state (plus a few in NJ/CT). This includes DO schools (which I do not mind attending at all). Would it be worth it to retake the MCAT, with the risk of doing the same as I did the first time, or even worse, because of a very high course/work load? Should I just focus on keeping my GPA as high as possible and maybe pumping out a publication before the end of the year? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated! Good luck everyone!

-A very worried pre-med

If you're cool with DO and you realize that your MCAT score is below average and might get you screened out at some MD schools, then that GPA and MCAT makes you a competitive applicant, so I wouldn't. You certainly have a strong chance at DO, and you have a reasonable chance at lower-tier MD (NYMC, for example). Mid-tier MD is iffy. NYU, UConn (not really OOS friendly), and Yale are pretty much out of reach. Touro, NYCOM, UMDNJ (DO), Hofstra, NYMC, Albany, Cooper Rowan, and the SUNYs are probably where you'd have the best chance. Einstein and Rochester are bit more competitive, but I think are still worth applying to. Are you open to going to school in Philadelphia? PCOM, Drexel, Jefferson, and Temple might be good options as well.

I would wait until after an acceptance. 45s are very rare and theres only a handful in the country so it could easoly be linked back to him

OKAY. OKAY. Now I have to respond. UTKpreMD, I don't know what your problem is but it seems you have a problem with me. Yeah people lie on the internet, but it makes you look dumb when you start assuming scores like 20-35 range. But whatever.

Gettheleadout and Darklabel, I would like to post proof but it seems that you guys are more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. What do you guys recommend that I do? I want to post proof but having it traced back to me would be a nightmare since I really don't want anyone to know at my school or anything like that. Suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Again, I really didn't want to respond to all this but UTKpreMD calling me out the way he did is sort of lame so I guess now it's personal. Also I don't agree with what he said about the VERY smart stuff, really the difference between a 39 and a 45 is almost luck of the draw and maybe for some select people it's extreme intelligence as they just know so much. But like I said, I was doing pretty well on the practice tests so I expected to get 40+, just not a perfect.

OKAY. OKAY. Now I have to respond. UTKpreMD, I don't know what your problem is but it seems you have a problem with me. Yeah people lie on the internet, but it makes you look dumb when you start assuming scores like 20-35 range. But whatever.

Gettheleadout and Darklabel, I would like to post proof but it seems that you guys are more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. What do you guys recommend that I do? I want to post proof but having it traced back to me would be a nightmare since I really don't want anyone to know at my school or anything like that. Suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Again, I really didn't want to respond to all this but UTKpreMD calling me out the way he did is sort of lame so I guess now it's personal. Also I don't agree with what he said about the VERY smart stuff, really the difference between a 39 and a 45 is almost luck of the draw and maybe for some select people it's extreme intelligence as they just know so much. But like I said, I was doing pretty well on the practice tests so I expected to get 40+, just not a perfect.

Well, I'm not one of "you guys" but as I've already said, if I had scored 40+ I would have never admitted it in the first place. It identifies you. We are talking about a very small number of applicants scattered around the country. (and your name is UC pre med which narrows it down considerably:scared:)

You can talk about it all you want after you are accepted at your top choice.