The Official January 26th, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMa23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to see how many people are taking it....

How many retakers? I am one

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Morning Everyone,

Just wanted to say good luck to you all, im nervous as crap and will be afraid to look exactly at 5pm but hey hopefully we all got the score we aimed for...
peace:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The scores are usually up before 5 est. I checked the older threads, and it seemed like the scores were up between 3-3:30 est.

Hm, I had read a few people say 3 o' clock. Does the website say 5 though? I haven't looked at the AAMC site since the test.

Last I checked the website, it said after 5PM ET. So, depending on where you live, it could be 3PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
First Take: 08/11/10 29Q
AAMC Average: 11/11/10 32
AAMC Range: 29-35
Predicition: 10/10/12 32

Actual: 10/11/11!!! 32!!!!!

None of my scores went down!

I'LL TAKE IT!!!
NO MORE MCAT!

Scores are out. I got a a score I'm not too happy with.

Darn it. This gives me some thinking to do.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using SDN Mobile

Just for perspective, here's what I posted immediately after the test:

AAMC Avg (3-7): 36.25
AAMC Avg (8-11): 39.25
AAMC Range: 35-43
Goal: 11/12/13 36+
Prediction: 11/12/12 35
Actual: TBA

PS: Incredibly difficult and calculation-heavy. I finished with only 5 minutes left, and in all other AAMCs I have had at least 15 (and generally more). There were numerous small trends or relationships that I couldn't pin down correctly or keep straight in my head, and my score might be quite bad if I generally had things backwards.

V: I felt the around the same as I felt about all my previous tests after this section, which means I have no idea how I actually did (practice test range was 11-15). Material wasn't too bad, although the more esoteric 'philosophy of mind/cognition' passages were difficult to get through.

BS: Similar - all though less experiment heavy - than AAMC 11. I actually did the best (15, 14) on AAMC's 10 and 11 in BS (the experimental style suits my experience and I have no problems interpreting data). Minimal orgo, although the introductory passage was over an orgo topic with which I was not that familiar, unfortunately.

I don't feel good about the exam, as a whole. The PS in particular left me feeling really drained and unsure, but I went through the V and B sections in relatively short order.

Now, that painful wait...

Oh, and the trial section? :laugh: They're really serious about making sociology and psychology testable concepts for the MCAT. I don't think it will make better doctors, just means that pre-med kids will have a couple more topics to cram in their heads.

I'll write up my prep a bit later when I feel less frazzled.

First Time: PS 6/VR 10/BS 8 24R
AAMC Average this study cycle: 10/10/10 30
AAMC Range: 28-34

Actual MCAT Retake: PS 12/ VR 11/ BS 10 33!!!

I have never been so happy in my life. I actually happy cried for a few minutes lol
For those who don't get the scores you necessarily want I've been there (obviously you can see from that 24 : /). Retaking is not the end of the world and if you're really determined you can make anything happen. Be upset for a minute, it's ok (I was probably depressed for a good month after seeing that score). Take a little break and then pull yourself back together and study for your retake. You can do it! Good luck to all of you : )

I got (11 VR, 14 PS, 13 BS). I'm a re-taker mostly due to VR so I am extremely happy! The following is what I said about the test right after. Good luck everyone!:luck:

Hi everyone,

Here is my flection on today's test:

PS: Started very easy then got tricker. I wasn't thinking in a right way and wasted a lot of time with last few passages. I had about 5 minutes to go over marked ones, which makes me feel less confident with this section because usually with AAMC, PS is my strongest and I have 15+ minutes left to spare to catch silly mistakes..

VR: medium. Verbal is my weakest section so I am never confident with it. The passages were kind of boring and I found myself slightly distracted.. But I think I did better than last time (I'm retaker because of verbal). Just hoping for that 10.

BS: easy! I thought it was weirdly too easy, which kinda made me question mid-test if I was missing some key info. I had maybe 3 questions that I made educated guess and 1 that I straight-out guessed. I had 15-20 minute left to go over all the questions for the second time. But this also worries me how the curve is going to be.

Trial section: urgh. I didn't take break between BS and Trial so I was brain-dead and was not processing the words. hahaha But it was mostly psych and sociology as they promised. Waiting for that gift carddd :D

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since I did score above my practice test average, but I originally thought this could be a personal best score for me.

Guess I may as well reveal my score since others could lend some advise. Got a 28 with a distribution of PS:09, VR:09, BS:10. Now my statistics are 3.75 cGPA and 28 MCAT, which leaves me in a grey area for MD schools. Luckily I have always been more than willing go apply to DO schools, but I might need to consider a retest.

10/11/10 :)

First time test taker.

Physical/verbal were right about at my aamc average but biological was 3 points lower. Some of my weakest topics were on that section so I sort of expected that. It's not quite where I wanted it but i'll take it! So happy to have a balanced 31 and to be done with the MCAT!

:highfive:

That's so funny. I was actually following your practice test scores in the January study thread. It's a huge relief to npt have to re-take! All of our hard work paid off.

My goal is MSTP only and the MCAT was the only thing remaining that could have derailed my plans, ... I'M SO HAPPY!!
:love::love::D:laugh::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OH MY GOSH YES!!!!

This is the highest score I got EVER!! The best I ever did on a practice test was a 34!

Actual score:

581820_10151355236447982_1037062445_n.jpg

A thirtay-niiine! (13 VR, 14 PS, 12 BS)! That was my highest practice test score (six 35s, one 37 and one 39), so this is such excellent news! :D

A thirtay-niiine! (13 VR, 14 PS, 12 BS)! That was my highest practice test score (six 35s, one 37 and one 39), so this is such excellent news! :D

That makes three 39s so far. It would seem SDN presents a biased sample :laugh:

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since I did score above my practice test average, but I originally thought this could be a personal best score for me.

Guess I may as well reveal my score since others could lend some advise. Got a 28 with a distribution of PS:09, VR:09, BS:10. Now my statistics are 3.75 cGPA and 28 MCAT, which leaves me in a grey area for MD schools. Luckily I have always been more than willing go apply to DO schools, but I might need to consider a retest.

I would say it depends, a 28 isn't a bad score in the grand scheme of things, thats still like 70th percentile of all the people who take the MCAT who are all smart to begin with, so first don't beat yourself up.

I guess you have two things to evaluate; 1) When are you applying? If the answer is next year than I would definitely do a retake, schools will like that you are commited to improving (thats why I retook with a 29). 2) Are you motivated to change, now this may seem a bit insulting but it is a problem I was faced with and is extremely difficult to get over if the motivation isn't there. Studying the second time is in many ways easier because you know all the information but it is also much more difficult because you have to change something in your study habits ect.

So I would say if you have time retake, if not I think you still have a chance with your scores, especially for DO.

AAMC test number (PS,VR,BS) in the order in which I took them.

Kaplan diagnostic 36 (taken summer 2011)
All AAMC practice tests taken in the month prior to the MCAT

3(12,13,13) - 38
4(10,12,12) - 34
5(13,14,14) - 41
11(11,11,12) - 34
7(14,11,12) - 37
8(14,15,14) - 43
10(12,10,13) - 35
9(13,11,13) - 37

Actual score 1/26/2013 (12,13,14) - 39
:D

I took the 24th Jan test and got 36 (14/ 7/ 15). Damn a 7 on Verbal, now I am facing a dilemma of retaking the test or not :(

Is English your native language? Wow, you destroyed the other sections.

No, but I'm not an international student.

You should contact schools where you plan to apply and tell them your story. They might be willing to pull your app out of any automated system to give you a fair shot. You can ALWAYS improve you language skills but your BS and PS scores indicate that you are something special. :luck::luck:

I took the 24th Jan test and got 36 (14/ 7/ 15). Damn a 7 on Verbal, now I am facing a dilemma of retaking the test or not :(

I think that 7 can be forgiven considering the awesomeness of the other two sections and the fact you're not a native English speaker. Mostly considering the awesomeness of the other two sections. Those scores are damn impressive.

AAMC average: 31
Predicted: NO IDEA
Actual: 31
VR: 9
PS: 10
BS: 12

GPA: 3.76 (engineering)
Non-trad applicant

I know this is spot on for the average matriculant :/, but I assume I should not retake to boost the VR? Too risky I think. Hope everyone did well!