*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So most everyone usually has the problem of going over the character limit on the AMCAS site. I'm in the opposite situation. The character content of my essay is 4,400 characters. Is this too short? I feel like I have trimmed down lots of the "fat" and made the essay very concise...

Members don't see this ad.

So most everyone usually has the problem of going over the character limit on the AMCAS site. I'm in the opposite situation. The character content of my essay is 4,400 characters. Is this too short? I feel like I have trimmed down lots of the "fat" and made the essay very concise...

No this is unacceptable. You need to beef it up with some adjectives.

I'm sure that there are a few sentences that you could rewrite in a more concise way. The amount of characters you would save by eliminating spaces can probably be obtained by a few simple tweaks here and there.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a late bump but I think it's worthwhile information for people who look at this forum. I had to call the AAMC about another issue, and spoke with a different person who contacted their supervisor. If you matriculate from a previous cycle, primary fees are actually completely refundable even if you are processed. so if anyone else is in this situation, I highly recommend just calling the AAMC AMCAS phone #. My previous statements in this thread were wrong.

Just wondering how long it typically takes to receive secondaries after you've been verified?
Every school is different. You'll get some even before you're verified. Some people say that the day after they submit they are getting secondaries. Just depends on the school. Good luck.

NO. Medical schools can only see the letters you released to them.

What I mean is will they see that there ARE letters uploaded but not released to them?

Basically my premed committee is SOOOO clueless I will only use their letter for certain schools and individual letters for others. But will med schools see that I have a prehealth committee letter not released to them? That is what I want to avoid.

I'm having a hard time finding the verified AMCAS GPA. Anyone know where it is? I printed out my AMCAS verified course work, but I don't see any GPA there. Am I missing something?

What I mean is will they see that there ARE letters uploaded but not released to them?

Basically my premed committee is SOOOO clueless I will only use their letter for certain schools and individual letters for others. But will med schools see that I have a prehealth committee letter not released to them? That is what I want to avoid.

No. But many schools require a committee letter if your school has a pre-med committee

I got two today and was verified this morning. Some schools send them automatically when you submit your primary, others automatically when you're verified, still others than send out secondaries in batches (you'd get yours in the batch following your verification). Other schools, like VCU, screen, so after you're verified it'll still take however long it takes them to review your primary.

I'm having a hard time finding the verified AMCAS GPA. Anyone know where it is? I printed out my AMCAS verified course work, but I don't see any GPA there. Am I missing something?

If you click on the print view of your entire application, it should be there in a chart.

Quick question.

In 2007, I was given a speeding ticket, and I took a Driving Course that basically got rid of it for me. My advisors say I should write that I got a speeding ticket under the misdemeanor section.

What should I do? I just feel like a speeding ticket (that's essentially taken care of by the course) isn't a huge deal.

is there a difference between sending it in july 31st to meet the deadline or sending it in aug 2nd??? is it still considered "early" if I submit without them receiving my transcripts or being verified? big diff or no?? should i rush to send it in before the deadline or just wait to send it in??? GRACIAS!!!

Last edited:
Quick question.

In 2007, I was given a speeding ticket, and I took a Driving Course that basically got rid of it for me. My advisors say I should write that I got a speeding ticket under the misdemeanor section.

What should I do? I just feel like a speeding ticket (that's essentially taken care of by the course) isn't a huge deal.

Are you sure a speeding ticket is a misdemeanor? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
How long should it take for schools to get my letters if they were received by AMCAS yesterday? I've been checking online, but there are some schools that don't even show if they have them or not. When should I call to check and how long does it take in general?

thanks

if you already assigned them, then it will be very soon...probably within a day or two.

if you just assigned them, make sure to hit 'submit' again on the main menu.

all letters are uploaded to schools electronically.

Probably about half of my schools sent me their secondaries within a week of me being verified. Others sent me notices saying they had my primary and would send me a secondary later. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools two weeks out. Like the above posts have said, it varies.

Question: I took my MCAT, didn't care for my score and will be retaking August 20. My application is complete with the exception of a few letters of rec. Should I go ahead and submit or should I wait until all letters are in and after I get my results back from the next MCAT? Reason I ask is that an advisor told me that med schools won't even review my app until my next results are in .... is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

In some states, like Ohio, speeding tickets, are misdemeanors. Bbstarky's driving course likely eliminated the charge from his driving record, but not necessarily from the criminal record. In that case the charge should be disclosed, since not disclosing it can do a lot more harm.

Hey everyone. I was just going through my verified application and noticed that I had accidentally misnumbered one of the classes. The names of the classes are correct, as well as the designations, but the number was repeated. Unfortunately, it numbered intro orgo lab as intro chem lab.

I called AMCAS to see if they could fix the number and find out how it got verified with the inaccuracy, but they said they couldnt fix it.

However, now I am unsure how to fill out secondaries. Do use the real number for the course, or the course number shown on the application for when they ask what course fulfills the Gen Chem lab requirement and which course fulfills the organic chem lab requirement? I dont want it to look like I retook the class, which is how it looks now, unless the reader is really paying attention to the course names.

Any suggestions on what to do?

hey everyone, just got a quick question that I hope you guys/gals can help me with.

I have completed a number of my medical school applications, submitting the supplemental app, fee and getting in my pre-health advisor letter...got the emails saying "file complete" and all that jazz. However, I was recently able to get a letter of recommendation from a physician which I would also like to submit.

My question is...would submitting a new letter of rec. through AMCAS take my completed applications out of the "completed" line and kicked to the end until the new letter is received? or would my file still be considered complete and stay in line to be reviewed since I have already submitted all requirements?

thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
So long story short, I put my principal investigator as the contact person for my work/activities when talking about research. In my personal statement, I only referred to my principal investigator and didn't mention the phd candidate I worked directly under with.

I thought that the phd candidate I worked under would need to get the letter of recommendation co signed by my PI so everything would match up, but the phd candidate I worked under recently got a phd and so he didn't get it cosigned and only his name is on the LOR.

What would the admissions board think? Am I screwd?!?! I used my research experience as part of my personal statement and so now the names don't match up. help!!!

i tried contacting the phd candidate (now PhD) to see if he can reupload it, and mention my PI at least but he hasn't gotten back to me yet and I have already submitted my AMCAS and can't change it. What should i do. Thanks so much!!

Question: I took my MCAT, didn't care for my score and will be retaking August 20. My application is complete with the exception of a few letters of rec. Should I go ahead and submit or should I wait until all letters are in and after I get my results back from the next MCAT? Reason I ask is that an advisor told me that med schools won't even review my app until my next results are in .... is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you are speaking of your primary application and not specific secondary applications. It is true that most schools will NOT review your application until your new set of test scores come in (assuming you indicate that you are retaking on the AMCAS app). The benefit of submitting BEFORE you get the scores/take the test is that your application will be verified well before you get those scores - so as soon as you get your scores/complete secondaries, schools can start reviewing your file. Otherwise, you'll get your scores, then submit, wait 4-6 weeks for verification, and then finally start filling out secondaries. If you choose to do this and you're not entirely confident in what your score will be, I suggest you apply to only one school initially - you can add them after your initial submission without a penalty. The disadvantage of submitting before you get your scores is that, if you totally bomb the test and decide you're not going to apply to medical school this year, it's too late and thus you'll be considered a reapplicant next year (at least at one school).

Hope this helps!

So long story short, I put my principal investigator as the contact person for my work/activities when talking about research. In my personal statement, I only referred to my principal investigator and didn't mention the phd candidate I worked directly under with.

I thought that the phd candidate I worked under would need to get the letter of recommendation co signed by my PI so everything would match up, but the phd candidate I worked under recently got a phd and so he didn't get it cosigned and only his name is on the LOR.

What would the admissions board think? Am I screwd?!?! I used my research experience as part of my personal statement and so now the names don't match up. help!!!

i tried contacting the phd candidate (now PhD) to see if he can reupload it, and mention my PI at least but he hasn't gotten back to me yet and I have already submitted my AMCAS and can't change it. What should i do. Thanks so much!!

I don't think this is going to be a big deal - especially if you've only got one big research experience, I imagine they'll be able to figure it out.

How long should it take for schools to get my letters if they were received by AMCAS yesterday? I've been checking online, but there are some schools that don't even show if they have them or not. When should I call to check and how long does it take in general?

thanks

I think that AMCAS sends the letters to the schools almost instantly. The school, however, may take some time (at least a day or two) in "assigning" the letter to your file.

Quick question.

If you're really concerned, get a background check from certiphi (though you'll have to pay for it)

Are you sure a speeding ticket is a misdemeanor? :confused:

Some states do - Ohio for example considers all speeding tickets to be a misdemeanor (typically minor, unless you get two in one year, then the 2nd one is a 4th degree misdemeanor)

In some states, like Ohio, speeding tickets, are misdemeanors. Bbstarky's driving course likely eliminated the charge from his driving record, but not necessarily from the criminal record. In that case the charge should be disclosed, since not disclosing it can do a lot more harm.

Correct

Hey everyone. I was just going through my verified application and noticed that I had accidentally misnumbered one of the classes. The names of the classes are correct, as well as the designations, but the number was repeated. Unfortunately, it numbered intro orgo lab as intro chem lab.

I called AMCAS to see if they could fix the number and find out how it got verified with the inaccuracy, but they said they couldnt fix it.

However, now I am unsure how to fill out secondaries. Do use the real number for the course, or the course number shown on the application for when they ask what course fulfills the Gen Chem lab requirement and which course fulfills the organic chem lab requirement? I dont want it to look like I retook the class, which is how it looks now, unless the reader is really paying attention to the course names.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Call schools that sent you secondaries and ask them what to do about it.

If the course says Organic, they're going to read the course name---and see that. And as far as fulfilling requirements---they'll ask for final transcripts before you matriculate...they'll go by the transcripts.

For the sake of the interview, you don't have to have complete Organic before then. Most schools just want the pre-reqs fulfilled prior to matriculating.

So a letter writer of mine was backed up and originally did not have time to complete my letter so I marked it as "no longer being sent." However, he (very nicely) ended up having time and sent it to AMCAS! Can I still assign this to schools? Also, whats the policy of adding letters after schools have received the ones you have already designated? I never designated this letter for any school but I would like to now.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can submit an academic change request to AMCAS and they can fix the problem. They have it done within 5 business days too. As long as you can prove it (and you obviously can since it is on your transcript and they made a mistake by not catching it) I recommend trying that...I don't know why the AMCAS representative didn't tell you that but it should take care of the problem. The schools get an updated version of the app once it gets reverified.

Hello :)
So I am planning how to write my personal statement and there are several "stories" from my life that I could elaborate on. However, I have no idea which one would be the best one...? Here are some of the things I did (I grew up in germany so some stories are from then)

1) In my German high school I was educated as a school paramedic, which meant I walked around with a school emergency cell phone and everytime first aid was needed I would run to the secretary's office and provide first aid, call an ambulance if necessary etc. One time a young boy fell on the stairs when I was on call and I had to apply several compressions and pressure bandages (is that what you call them in english..?) until the ambulance finally arrived. All the medical training i went through for that program was so awesome that I started really wanting to do be a doctor. So this is pretty much how it all started.

2) I did an internship in an ambulance car, also in Germany. For three weeks I did all the vital signs, bandages etc. Definately a crazy experience, esp because I was only 14! I could elaborate on this experience

3) Once I came to America and entered college I volunteered at a hospital. One time I was able to do CPR on a patient. He did not end up making it but it made me want to be a doctor more now, because I also want to be part of the team that saves someones life.

Ok, I think those were the three highlights of my life in wanting to become a doctor. Ever since I can think I wanted to be a doctor, but I am unsure how I can bring that accross without sounding cheesy or too melodramatic.

It would be awesome if I could have some input/ideas.

thank you thank you thank you

IMHO these are three very closely related experiences so it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate pieces from all of them into your PS. I think you should try to focus most on the American hospital experience since this is the experience that adcoms will best be able to relate to, but you should def. discuss your background in Germany and the experiences you had there that made you first get started down the long path toward becoming a doctor.

Last edited:
does anyone know why schools ask the same information you filled out in the primaries? like your activities for example, i understand they might be looking for some further detail in your descriptions, or trying to figure out what is your most important ones, but all the other stuff like hours and so on as well, cause some schools dont even ask for another description either.. and they tell you to list all your activities again..

I've been thinking about this and I wonder if some schools want to have something to give interviewers as a "partially open/partially closed" file. It is also possible that schools use this to review the file in some systematic way that is more easily accomplished if the information is formatted in a particular way.

The amcas representative (2 of them) said that reverification was only for change in course category or grade and the like. They apparently wont reverify for numbers...

My concern is that on secondaries if I put the real course number with a grade or something, the ad coms might be confused as to which course it is. (although because my school doesnt call organic chem "organic chem" and instead calls it something silly, I added orgo in parenthesis after the course name, so its clear what I meant...)
Should I put the duplicate number on the secondaries, or use the real one?

Maybe what you could do is put the real number and the actual name of the class and then when you get to the "do you have anything else we need to know" question (most secondaries have them) just put that it was accidentally entered as whatever number, and was never fixed by AMCAS.

The amcas representative (2 of them) said that reverification was only for change in course category or grade and the like. They apparently wont reverify for numbers...

They actually changed numbers on mine to make them incorrect. For instance, I have ENC1101 3 credits and ENC1102 3 credits on my official transcript, and they removed my ENC1101 and gave me ENC1102 6 credits on my AMCAS. No clue why, but I hope it doesn't affect my apps since many schools require English 1 & 2.

Just a heads up to anyone in the same situation, I got an email late last night saying that upon further review of my documentation, my letter of rec from the premed committee (which was previously received and verified) was, in fact, not on file. I called AMCAS this morning and said there was a glitch in the system. It may be affecting quite a few applicants so they're working on it quickly. Good news is they don't need any further action on our part!

It would be highly irregular for Jones not to mention that he worked with you in the Smith lab (where Smith is the PI). So, the name of the lab should match your AMCAS. I'd say, "no worries."

my application has been ready for the past week, but I just cant submit it.
What if there is something wrong with it and I regret it right after submitting it?
what if my PS sucks?
what if my ECs suck?

By the way, letters of rec do not need to be in there before you submit, right?
By the way (2), What if my dates are not accurate for my ECs? because I dont keep records of my activites, how do i know if i started doing something in 2005 or 2006, it was such a long time ago. I am just estimating.

Jeez, dude, it is Aug 1 this weekend.

Your app is on the late side, getting later by the minute.

Now or never...

Consider this - I got my first interview invite Aug 3 last year. You haven't even submitted...

brutal, isn't it? if it's been proofread, then you're in business.

take a deep breath, and HIT THE BUTTON ALREADY. then drink a beer.

there, now don't you feel better?

Just submit. Chances are you will have 1 or 2 mistakes, but you know what? They know you're human. I looked mine over 50 times, but I still had at least 1 small mistake.

It'll be okay.

Some are already getting interviews, if you're applying to any DO schools, a few have already started filling seats. Time to bite the bullet. :)

Yeah just do it. Unless you aren't applying this year, you can't change your activities and stuff anymore.

And schools are moving really fast this year compared to other years. Multiple schools have started handing out interviews, and many people already have more than one.

DO IT.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes around this time?

I submitted on the 20th I believe. Has anyone been verified recently? How long did it take for you??

Thanks!

i submitted on the 20th last year and was verified August 13th.

Quick question

I was a volunteer at a hospital for like 6 months. but i got no clinical experiences, just BS stuff like shredding documents and busy work. nothing patient related. the hospital kept promising that I would eventually get more medical stuff, but I never did, it was just free labor for them.
I quit.
Should i include this in my ECs?

Quick question

I was a volunteer at a hospital for like 6 months. but i got no clinical experiences, just BS stuff like shredding documents and busy work. nothing patient related. the hospital kept promising that I would eventually get more medical stuff, but I never did, it was just free labor for them.
I quit.
Should i include this in my ECs?

Absolutely include it.

Status
Not open for further replies.