*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm going to take 7 units of EMT-B classes this upcoming year at a CC (classes offered through the Biological and Health Sciences Division) and I was wondering if they would count toward my BCPM GPA.

If I can't find the answer here, should I contact specific schools and ask them? Or should I contact AAMCAS?

EMS is considered Allied Health, which, according to AMCAS (http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/crseclassificationsheet.pdf) would count under the category of Health Sciences which is not BCPM.

Members don't see this ad.

A) My unofficial transcript does NOT have my AP credit listed anywhere other than a line stating "Test Credit: 6.000", BUT another document that lists my course history states my AP credit was transferred to freshman year, and gives the course number, etc.

What do I do when it's not on my transcript?

B) The only letter designation given in the course history for AP credit is "T", so should I still list "G" for a grade, or "T" (not even sure if the T is for grade, it's just kind of hanging out there without a title).

C) I don't need to list AP exams I took and didn't get any credit for, right? It still shows up on my course history, but no credit was awarded (don't ask...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to take a class called "Introduction to Medical Microbiology", however it is offered by the Public Health division of my university. I noticed that Public Health classes are supposed to be listed as Health Sciences (HEAL) and not BCPM according to AMCAS instructions... but it's hard to believe that a class like this wouldn't count as BCPM. Thoughts?

Look at the syllabus.

Is more than 50% of the material covered Biology? (Or chemistry, physics, or math for that matter) If so, then you can count it as Biology (or chemistry, physics, or math respectively).

Another big hint would be what textbook you are using.

I plan to take a class called "Introduction to Medical Microbiology", however it is offered by the Public Health division of my university. I noticed that Public Health classes are supposed to be listed as Health Sciences (HEAL) and not BCPM according to AMCAS instructions... but it's hard to believe that a class like this wouldn't count as BCPM. Thoughts?

Is it equivalent to a biology course? Sometimes Public Health classes say "equivalent to Biological Sciences xxx or Microbiology xxx." If so then you can probably list it as BCPM. If not, then it's probably not as BCPM as you think maybe? I would wait until you've actually taken the class and then see if you can justify it as such. Besides, if you haven't even taken it yet and you're applying this cycle it won't really matter since you don't even have a grade for it?

So I worked on my personal statement really hard. I had a premedical committee review it and everything. The day I submitted it though I freaked and made a few last minute changes. Well, I forgot the stupid comma, and now the very last line of my personal statement is a run-on sentence.

Will this seriously set me back, or is it no big deal?

No one is going to look at your application and say "omg, after all this other grade, mcat, EC awesomeness he/she has 1 run on sentence! This person is clearly unfit for medicine."

It will be okay. :)

:eek:have you considered PA school or nursing?

Or Carrib?

Ha! :laugh: I would send a letter explaining why you left out the comma because they are probably going to analyze you psychologically to see if there was a deeper reason you left out the comma. Maybe self-sabotage? They probably will figure that you don't really want to go to medical school. Haha...

All kidding aside, take a deep breath and don't worry! I'm sure lots of people make mistakes they don't even notice.

So I worked on my personal statement really hard. I had a premedical committee review it and everything. The day I submitted it though I freaked and made a few last minute changes. Well, I forgot the stupid comma, and now the very last line of my personal statement is a run-on sentence.

Will this seriously set me back, or is it no big deal?
chill-pill-demotivational-poster-1221956724.jpg

imgres

I know I will probably be called neurotic, and i know I can't do anything about it, but if it is true at all, I need someone to tell me if its a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO, If your GPA and everything else is good, this should not hurt you. Do I think someone may notice it? Yes. Do I think your app will be thrown out because of it? Heck NO. That's silly.

If you don't have perfect comma usage, you'll never make it as a doctor.

I know I will probably be called neurotic, and i know I can't do anything about it, but if it is true at all, I need someone to tell me if its a big deal.

Aside from the irony of the situation, I think you will be fine. Hell, the committee might get a good laugh out of it!

Aside from the irony of the situation, I think you will be fine. Hell, the committee might get a good laugh out of it!

That is probably one of the best typos ever. I think they will laugh and then move on.

Anybody know where to view your AMCAS verified GPA?

Go to the Main Menu and Print Application. It'll be on the pdf in a table, after all your grades.

Why is there a spot in the chart for high School GPA? Is this only if you have AP credits or something? I'm assuming otherwise they don't care.

Why is there a spot in the chart for high School GPA? Is this only if you have AP credits or something? I'm assuming otherwise they don't care.
No, this is for college-level coursework you may have taken when you were in HS.

For example, I had to list two PE classes taken at a local community college because I couldn't fit PE into my HS schedule during my junior year. Hey, at least I got As in Golf and Tennis! :laugh:

If I'm picking the "letter packet" for my letters of recommendation, what would I put for the contact's name? The pre-med advisor at my school where the letters are originally sent to? And then for author names put the people's names who wrote it?

Can I/should I send more than 3 letters of rec to schools that only have room for 3 letters on their secondary? I mean, can you send in an additional letter?

Hello everyone,

I am new to studentdoctor.net and have a question that people have probably asked frequently in one variation or another:

How long will AMCAS take to verify my primary application if I submitted it July 12th 2010 and all my transcripts have been received? (My status says I'm "in line" to be verified).

For those of you who've applied in previous cycles at around this time, I would also appreciate it if you could tell me the dates you submitted primaries and when you were verified.

Thank you very much!

i submitted july 2 and i'm still in line to be reviewed by a verifier. amcas had already received my transcripts in june, so i'm waiting impatiently as well. i'm going to give them one more week until i make some noise.

i remember reading somewhere that it could take 4-6 weeks during peak periods. not sure if july is a peak period for non-sdn'ers...

Your July 2nd should be done by Monday or Tuesday based on the other thread. Then, it is 1 or 2 business days per submission date.

Thank you all! Looks like I'll be waiting a few or several weeks.

It would have been nice to submit my primaries a little sooner but I had to get my personal statement right.

Eh, I'm not complaining about having to wait. I need the time to pre-write those secondaries anyway.

If I'm picking the "letter packet" for my letters of recommendation, what would I put for the contact's name? The pre-med advisor at my school where the letters are originally sent to?
Yes.
And then for author names put the people's names who wrote it?
Yes.
Can I/should I send more than 3 letters of rec to schools that only have room for 3 letters on their secondary? I mean, can you send in an additional letter?

The fact that they only have room for 3 in the secondary doesn't technically inhibit them from seeing the additional letter(s). It's just that they might not look beyond what's given in the secondary. Some schools even get annoyed if you send more letters than asked for, but this is probably not true in this case, since it's only 3. I suggest contacting the admissions office.

I have a quick question for anyone that can help. I am a graduate student, pursuing an MS in Pathology. There is a graduate committee in my department and the director will write me a letter of rec.

Although not technically a pre-med committee should I still mark this as a committee letter, or am I safer considering it as an individual letter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is there a way to preview how your text will appear after pasting it into the text boxes?

How do you ensure that there are no errors? When I type everything in Wordpad and paste in their text boxes, my first paragraphs are never indented and then I have to manually indent them. I worry that things will not appear as they should.

I know that skipping to the next line takes up two characters and indenting takes as many characters as the number of spaces you use to create the indentation.

what are we supposed to give contact numbers for? everything, or just doctors we shadowed?

I got my degree in 2003 and then returned to school to do the prereqs and apply. It just occurred to me that there are some classes that I signed up for but then got rid of. I'm sure you don't have to enter courses in AMCAS that you dropped during the drop/add period (like the first 5 days of the semester). There are a couple courses I have that were dropped after that, but there was a policy at my school at the time that "after the first five days, a student will be allowed to drop a cumulative maximum of four courses". These courses also had to be dropped by the ninth week of class and are just like you dropped during the first five days (no entry on transcript, no grade, W, or what have you). It's been long enough that I don't remember what classes I did this with or when.

So... do I have to enter these on AMCAS since they were just like courses dropped in the drop/add period? I'm not even sure how to find out what they were or when they were taken...

In August I am moving to start a gap year job I was wondering if I should change my preferred address and permanent or just my preferred??

Last edited:
I have a quick question for anyone that can help. I am a graduate student, pursuing an MS in Pathology. There is a graduate committee in my department and the director will write me a letter of rec.

Although not technically a pre-med committee should I still mark this as a committee letter, or am I safer considering it as an individual letter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is he writing it in the capacity of an individual or of a committee head? If it's the former just mark it as individual. If the latter, then I'm not sure--but I think it's really not considered a committee letter for AMCAS purposes.
Maybe you should call AAMC to be certain.

Is there a way to preview how your text will appear after pasting it into the text boxes?

How do you ensure that there are no errors? When I type everything in Wordpad and paste in their text boxes, my first paragraphs are never indented and then I have to manually indent them. I worry that things will not appear as they should.

I know that skipping to the next line takes up two characters and indenting takes as many characters as the number of spaces you use to create the indentation.

I worked from a Word document until the final version was ready, at which time I copy-pasted to notepad. Working in Word gives you the advantage of always knowing your character count. After I copied to Notepad, I removed all formatting, indentation, etc. Then, once I copy+pasted into AMCAS, I fixed up the indentation and it was ready to go.

what are we supposed to give contact numbers for? everything, or just doctors we shadowed?

Everything.

I got my degree in 2003 and then returned to school to do the prereqs and apply. It just occurred to me that there are some classes that I signed up for but then got rid of. I'm sure you don't have to enter courses in AMCAS that you dropped during the drop/add period (like the first 5 days of the semester). There are a couple courses I have that were dropped after that, but there was a policy at my school at the time that "after the first five days, a student will be allowed to drop a cumulative maximum of four courses". These courses also had to be dropped by the ninth week of class and are just like you dropped during the first five days (no entry on transcript, no grade, W, or what have you). It's been long enough that I don't remember what classes I did this with or when.

So... do I have to enter these on AMCAS since they were just like courses dropped in the drop/add period? I'm not even sure how to find out what they were or when they were taken...

You do NOT have to enter these courses at all as they don't appear on your transcript. Your school simply has a weird system of course-dropping scheduling. It's not your problem.

Hey guys,
I apologize and I'm certain that this question has been asked a million times but I took the 6/17 test, did nowhere near well, and am retaking on 9/11. I've already sent out my AMCAS but only added one school (didn't want to jump the gun before seeing my scores; it was a good idea). I don't want schools to only look at my app in mid-October, when scores are released for the Sept test. Should I apply to the schools I want to apply to now? I've heard most schools don't screen before secondaries. Or will they just put my file aside until mid-October if they see I'm taking the Sept test as indicated on my AMCAS?

Since I have received 3 secondaries now, I was thinking about just finishing them and submitting them. Only problem is my AMCAS is not verified yet. Is this a bad idea?

Since I have received 3 secondaries now, I was thinking about just finishing them and submitting them. Only problem is my AMCAS is not verified yet. Is this a bad idea?

Don't submit until they tell you to (or until they have your application, if they say that's ok).:luck:

Don't submit until they tell you to (or until they have your application, if they say that's ok).:luck:

What do you mean? I have received around 5 emails inviting me to complete the secondaries. I actually got two today. Doesn't that indicate that they want me to submit the application asap?

Thanks!

Do the transcripts need to be sent in only after submitting the AMCAS?

Also, if I submit the application to one school, just to get everything verified, will I be able to modify my personal statement if I were to submit to more schools? Problem is I'm taking the MCAT in a couple weeks and don't have time to craft an elegant statement but I want to get everything verified. Any suggestions?

thanks!

I submitted my application on 7/14, and when i log into my application it still says "submitted to amcas-ready for review"

when they are actually reviewing it, does it say something like "under review"

and how long do they usually spend reviewing each application?

i figure actually having you application in line for review is the rate-limiting step in all of this

just wanted to get some input!

What do you mean? I have received around 5 emails inviting me to complete the secondaries. I actually got two today. Doesn't that indicate that they want me to submit the application asap?

Thanks!

There are some that give you the go ahead. For the schools for which that's true, go for it. For everyone else, do not submit the primary until instructed to do so.:thumbup:

And then there are a couple of schools which don't really say much f anything--check those directly.

Is it worth putting down high school activities and awards?

Just verified today. They seem to have it together over there at amcas afterall.

Do the transcripts need to be sent in only after submitting the AMCAS?

Also, if I submit the application to one school, just to get everything verified, will I be able to modify my personal statement if I were to submit to more schools? Problem is I'm taking the MCAT in a couple weeks and don't have time to craft an elegant statement but I want to get everything verified. Any suggestions?

thanks!
Re: transcripts: No, and in fact, it is in your best interest to send them in before you submit so that you have plenty of buffer time if anything goes wrong.

You cannot modify your personal statement after submitting.

There are only a few things you can modify including your address, LORs (adding, but not subtracting or changing ones that have already been assigned), adding more schools, and whether or not you're taking the MCAT again. Other than that, submitting pretty much locks you in.

Better to have a good statement than to rush it just to get it in. Good luck.

My PS is a little long, but i dont want to take anything out. Do you think i could just eliminate the space between the period and the following sentence to make up the difference. i know it isnt suggested for essays but what about in this case?

what do you think.seriously.just think about it.it's not hard.is it.

Thank you ishchayill.

Since people receive secondaries from some schools before their applications have been verified, does this mean that schools that you add before submitting your application receive you application before schools added the day your application has been verified? Can you add schools while your application is in the process of being verified? Will these schools receive your application before it has been verified?

i see his point.why nix a sentence when you can get back 30 characters this way?i'm sure the person reading it would understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.