The Official 9/11/2012 MCAT date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nisarg2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

How is the studying going for those of you taking it on arguably one of the worst days in American History? Finished content review yet? Any FL?

Just wanted to do this so we could keep each other motivated.

Ok now back to studying :laugh:!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh. Got a 34, which is 3 points below my avg and lower than I've scored in any of my practice tests. Will finish my prereqs and take again.

AAMC Average: 36.5 (12.83 PS, 11 VR, 12.67 BS)
Prediction: 28 (10 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS)
Goal: 32 O +
Actual: 35R (12 PS, 11VR, 12 PS)

I am ecstatic!!!! My post test feelings were either not accurate at all or the curve treated me well. To all of those that got their goal, congrats! To all of you that didn't, congrats on even getting through this gruesome exam!

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC 3-11 avg: 36 (11 VR, 12.5 BS, 12.5 PS)
Score Range: 33-39
Highest composite potential: 42
Prediction: 33 (10.5 VR, 12 BS, 10.5 PS)
Actual: 36Q (12/10/14)

Completely unexpected. I know I averaged a 36 on practice exams but the real thing was horrific, especially PS.

Ugh. Got a 34, which is 3 points below my avg and lower than I've scored in any of my practice tests. Will finish my prereqs and take again.

What do you want? a 37/38/39? FYI i have been told in interview(s) that score differences in the 30's, especially above 33/34 do not matter. But thats just my opinion I guess.

12 PS
12 BS
8 VR

i dont know what to make of this. i am very happy with my PS/BS scores, but the VR ... i dont know what to make of the ****ing VR. thoughts anyone?

PS 13 VR 12 BS 14 39Q

So surprised, AAMC averages were 33 but got 37 of AAMC11. I totally didn't feel good about the bio and verbal section afterwards but i guess the curve was generous.

I am planning on taking the jan mcat and planning not to study physiology, I will be pleased with an 8. Do you think I can get an 8 w/o studying physiology?

11 ps/7 vr/ 11 bs = 29P

Ugh, I HATE VR!!! At least I already have an interview invite at an MD school in 2 weeks, and that is what really matters. Wish me luck fellas! It was nice working with ya'll!

Also, if I didnt have a breakdown in the BS section due to low glucose levels (and following that horrid VR section that I had), I am sure I could have gotten a 13! damnit.

Members don't see this ad :)
35R !!! (exactly my average LOLWUT, also :confused: on verbal, I was WTF-ing the whole way through)

13 verbal, 11 bio, 11 ps

I had a massive range on my practice tests, 32-40, so I didn't think my average meant crap but what do you know?

Congratulations everyone!!! :love:

35R !!! (exactly my average LOLWUT, also :confused: on verbal, I was WTF-ing the whole way through)

13 verbal, 11 bio, 11 ps

I had a massive range on my practice tests, 32-40, so I didn't think my average meant crap but what do you know?

Congratulations everyone!!! :love:

Wholey shizzz...you were clueless in VR like me and got a 13? Wow.... Good job. I have the same science scores as you, unfortunately I did not get as lucky as you in VR :( grr

Predicted in this thread on night after exam: 30S (10PS, 11VR, 9BS)

Actual MCAT score: 30S (9PS, 12VR, 9BS)

So I overestimated PS by 1 point, underestimated verbal by 1 point, and nailed verbal

Now I'm in an awkward position. People in the know about med admissions told me that with a high verbal (12+), I should apply with a composite of at least 30 and all scores 9 or above. I achieved that. On the other hand, my cumulative GPA is a fraction below 3.4 and with science GPA of 3.7, I don't know. My AMCAS is already verified, so I might as well submit 20 or so secondaries, right (I have prewritten them, just haven't paid)? Don't really wanna go DO route unless no MD school will accept me. I'm already in my late 20s and a non-trad, so maybe I should apply MD and DO now, retake MCAT in January, and hopefully get into a good special master's program if no MD school accepts me.

What do you guys think? 30 puts me in an awkward position. The verbal is high (although not as high as my practices). I told myself 30 was a good minimum score. If I had gotten a 32, I'd be filling out secondaries for sure. If I had gotten a 28, I wouldn't be. I KNOW I can do better in science. Orgo on BS killed me. Some of the bio did too. Physics wasn't bad but I obviously messed it up.

AAMC 3-11 avg: 36.4
Score Range: 32-40
Prediction: 35 (10PS/11VR/14BS)
Actual: 35R (12PS/11VR/12BS)

I'm a little surprised about my result. I came out of the test feeling upset because I felt that I bombed the PS section, which I had practiced very well on. I felt great about the BS section, but it turns out that I did a couple points lower than I had predicted.

All in all, a little bummed since my last few AAMC practices were 40, 36, 36, 39, and 37. Plus, I have a lower GPA and plan on going the SMP route. But hopefully this score will be good enough since I'm not sure if I have it in me to take this test again!

You are my twin! AAMC average was 36.5 and actual was 35R with the exact same distribution!!!

What's up with people wanting to retake with 34's and 35's? How bad does your GPA have to be to require something higher?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'm genuinely curious since I have a 3.3 undergrad and a similar grad.

Life experiences make up for a low GPA. Non-trads have loads of it. I think you stand a pretty good chance at an MD with a 3.7 sGPA and a 30. I know people who have gotten in with far worse. Stay optimistic. If you're worried about the cost of secondaries, think how much getting a master's degree would cost you. You never know until you try. I have a terrible Verbal score (8... with a literature major! WTF), but I'm going for it this cycle. I know denial isn't just a river in Egypt, but I'm "opting" to think about this process differently. Worse comes to worst, there's always next cycle.

Thanks for the optimism. Will it matter that I have an upward trend? 3.74 in the post-bac prereq science courses, and 3.62 over the last 40% of my undergraduate credit hours. That's good advice you have though. I'm not the same person who got C's in humanities courses in 2003 and 2004. I've overcome obstacles since then and improved my academics. The last time I had a C in an undergrad course was 7 years ago. I hope you're right.

You wouldn't advise retaking in January though, just in case? I was planning on it, and I'd still apply MD now, but just have the new, hopefully higher January score in case I find myself with no acceptances in June. That way I could apply right when AMCAS opens and have secondaries competed before a special masters program started. You're right that the programs are expensive, but they do open doors.

PS 9
VB 10
BS 10
Cumulative mcat: 29
cGPA/sGPA: 4.0/4.0
In state, any chance at texas med school?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using SDN Mobile

AAMC Range: 27-32
AAMC Average: 30
Actual MCAT: 33M (10,11,12)

I always felt that even though my range was lower I should be getting a 34 after removing dumb mistakes. Thrilled that I reached my potential. Apparently no one cares about the writing score and neither do I. Best of luck to everyone in the future.

First post, but have been reading this forums for a while now. Huge help throughout everything.

AAMC Range: 30-34
AAMC Average: Under a 32
Actual MCAT: 35R (11,12,12)

I feel like an idiot but part of me wants to retake it. I didn't really study hard over the Summer and I'm taking some science classes that seem pretty helpful for the MCAT. I don't know why I feel like this and I hate the MCAT, but is it reasonable that I could do better? I'm in Texas and am applying in the next cycle if it makes a difference.

First post, but have been reading this forums for a while now. Huge help throughout everything.

I feel like an idiot but part of me wants to retake it. I didn't really study hard over the Summer and I'm taking some science classes that seem pretty helpful for the MCAT. I don't know why I feel like this and I hate the MCAT, but is it reasonable that I could do better? I'm in Texas and am applying in the next cycle if it makes a difference.

Don't retake

Wholey shizzz...you were clueless in VR like me and got a 13? Wow.... Good job. I have the same science scores as you, unfortunately I did not get as lucky as you in VR :( grr

Verbal was just rough - I know it seems pretentious/weird of me to be saying this, but it was honestly the most difficult verbal I have taken (even if you consider difficult passages from like EK or something), with the most bizarre passage-question relationships -- which is what I was referring to by "WTF-ing throughout". The passages (except the first) would mostly make sense (like argument, author's view, etc), but I would find some of the questions to be weirdly worded/total BS, so I used more poe than normal (I over-analyzed the verbal questions a lot). I would always have a good 10 minutes at the end of verbal but I was hitting a major time crunch on the last passage, particularly as I blew so much time on the first.

Since my verbal average was a 12, with the highest being 13 (even on the easy AAMC ones), I was not expecting this score after a more challenging section, so there was some definite luck involved!!

I feel your pain about bio -- guess the O-Chem got me good, even though I was convinced it wouldn't. I feel stupid for expecting experimental passages now... :(

Best of luck with your interview -- you're going to nail it!!!! :luck:

You should absolutely retake. Your score is horrible. Absolutely. Oh and btw, don't apply in the next cycle either. You have no chance at getting it.

AAMC PT average (n=4): 26.75 (TPR graded the writing score: M-P)
TPR PT average (n=1): 26
Expected: 26M
Actual: 29Q

So ... overwhelmed. It 's not the best, but I'm happy.

What's up with people wanting to retake with 34's and 35's? How bad does your GPA have to be to require something higher?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'm genuinely curious since I have a 3.3 undergrad and a similar grad.

I want to retake my 34 because I had been scoring consistently higher on my practice tests (I scored 4.5 pts lower than the average of my last two tests), so I know I have the potential to do better. Also I haven't taken physics yet LOL. It definitely seemed like the test had every single topic I was shaky on, so hopefully taking more advanced classes would help. I know I can get into my state school with my score and 3.7-ish GPA, but my high-strung self/sense of pride makes me want to aim higher. Also I'm a junior right now, so I have time to retake. I'm still deciding whether or not I should retake, or just settle. I mean settle isn't the right word, more like...reign in my pride.

12 VR, 14 PS, 12 BS...L. 38L.

That L is terrible. I'm hoping no one really cares about the writing section as I have no urge to retake it.

You should absolutely retake. Your score is horrible. Absolutely. Oh and btw, don't apply in the next cycle either. You have no chance at getting it.

What's a pre-pharm student doing in an MCAT thread? Ahh I see... You're praising the Lord that the PCAT is merely a tenth of the difficulty of the MCAT. :laugh:

I want to retake my 34 because I had been scoring consistently higher on my practice tests (I scored 4.5 pts lower than the average of my last two tests), so I know I have the potential to do better. Also I haven't taken physics yet LOL. It definitely seemed like the test had every single topic I was shaky on, so hopefully taking more advanced classes would help. I know I can get into my state school with my score and 3.7-ish GPA, but my high-strung self/sense of pride makes me want to aim higher. Also I'm a junior right now, so I have time to retake. I'm still deciding whether or not I should retake, or just settle. I mean settle isn't the right word, more like...reign in my pride.

I hate you because that is not the dilemma for a lot of people. A dilemma for those like myself is worrying about getting in ANYWHERE! WIth your score you are surely competitive as can be. A 34 is a blessing!!!!!!

man, can't believe i finally am done with the mcatty.

Predicted: 26-30
Goal: 30
Actual: 32 L

12PS/8VR/12BS

Hoping the L on writing score is meaningless? regardless, im really glad its over.

All glory to Christ! :)

Last edited:
What's a pre-pharm student doing in an MCAT thread? Ahh I see... You're praising the Lord that the PCAT is merely a tenth of the difficulty of the MCAT. :laugh:

You are so funny. I died laughing.

Used to be pre-pharm;) Now a pharmacist. Took the MCAT sept 11 too. 31Q. I've been praising God. But not because of the PCAT....:)

33S!

I'm done with this thing forever!

10 VR/ 11 PS/ 12 BS.

SO ECSTATIC.

How the HELL did I get an S on WS!? I didn't do any practice prompts whatsoever. Lmao.

Hope everyone is satisfied with their scores!

For all of the potential re-takers who got high scores:

If you were doing significantly lower than your average + haven't taken pre-reqs + didn't study as much, it's fine to think about re-taking, you should consider the time factor (as well as luck, but that matters less if you just don't have the content).

Time/money spent studying for & taking the MCAT are resources that could be used elsewhere. GPA, activities, relationships with professors, and so on, if you want to just limit this to the application process. I spent a lot of time on this thing and would rather spend all of my hours now to improve my GPA and work on activities/relationships that are meaningful to me.

Just something to think about :)

Hmm....

I'm happy with my overall score (35 Q), but my breakdown is so lopsided.

VR 8
PS 14
BS 13.

Should I retake just for verbal? I know I can definitely improve.

I got a 30 (11 VR, 11 PS, 8 BS). Well, this is where I'm off. I told myself that I was only taking this test once, and since I didn't do well, I am not going to be a doctor.

It's fine. I am going to pursue other careers now.

I don't know your full story, but it's hard for me to imagine you not being accepted anywhere just because of a 30. Might as well give a crack at it, a 30 is not a bad score...in fact, it's right around the median for all accepted medical students.

6 VS/ 5 PS/ 7 BS
c18K

I studied hard for this exam and felt confident during test day, not sure what happened. I definitely practiced verbal the most. I will be retaking it in January. Congrats to all who have received excellent scores-seems like everyone who have already posted on this thread has done well. Best of luck to all others who have to retake.

You are so funny. I died laughing.

Used to be pre-pharm;) Now a pharmacist. Took the MCAT sept 11 too. 31Q. I've been praising God. But not because of the PCAT....:)

Lol you got a really good score... Why wouldn't you pursue a MD/DO? I mean you got that far already! :/

6 VS/ 5 PS/ 7 BS
c18K

I studied hard for this exam and felt confident during test day, not sure what happened. I definitely practiced verbal the most. I will be retaking it in January. Congrats to all who have received excellent scores-seems like everyone who have already posted on this thread has done well. Best of luck to all others who have to retake.

In the same boat Brother/Sister... Best of luck to us lower end performers :/:luck:

Been waiting to post in this forum for a while. The tale of the tape:

Physical Sciences: 14
Verbal Reasoning: 11
Biological Sciences: 14
Writing Sample: Q

Scored a 39Q with a practice AAMC average of 34.9. Pretty stoked and about to crack open a special brew that I've been aging for this evening. Going to write a blog post in a couple of days on how I studied and prepared for the exam.

4017993_f260.jpg

Verbal was just rough - I know it seems pretentious/weird of me to be saying this, but it was honestly the most difficult verbal I have taken (even if you consider difficult passages from like EK or something), with the most bizarre passage-question relationships -- which is what I was referring to by "WTF-ing throughout". The passages (except the first) would mostly make sense (like argument, author's view, etc), but I would find some of the questions to be weirdly worded/total BS, so I used more poe than normal (I over-analyzed the verbal questions a lot). I would always have a good 10 minutes at the end of verbal but I was hitting a major time crunch on the last passage, particularly as I blew so much time on the first.

Since my verbal average was a 12, with the highest being 13 (even on the easy AAMC ones), I was not expecting this score after a more challenging section, so there was some definite luck involved!!

I feel your pain about bio -- guess the O-Chem got me good, even though I was convinced it wouldn't. I feel stupid for expecting experimental passages now... :(

Best of luck with your interview -- you're going to nail it!!!! :luck:

Well, at least you killed it bro. Congrats.

Thanks for the kind words. I have a good all around application so I don't think my MCAT score will hurt or help me. Got to kill it in this interview!! I will keep you guys updated on this cycle. I wish all of you the best.

I don't know your full story, but it's hard for me to imagine you not being accepted anywhere just because of a 30. Might as well give a crack at it, a 30 is not a bad score...in fact, it's right around the median for all accepted medical students.

The only problem is my GPA is fairly low as well. I'm sitting at a 3.58 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA. The only (maybe) thing that will help is that my GPA is from Yale. But doing poorly on the MCAT simply shows that my poor grades are my fault.

Also, this is the point in time where I regret going to Europe for the summer when I was supposed to be studying for the MCAT. Because of that stupid mistake, I had to learn all the orgo, gen chem, and most of the bio in two weeks before I started my practice exams.

Any Canadians want to help me out with releasing my scores? I just requested that my scores be sent to Ontario medical school applications service.

Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. It now says pending.

I'm still in shock!!

AAMC Avg (#3-11): 13 PS/11 VR/13 BS (37)
AAMC: 14 PS/12 VR/14 BS (40R)

I honestly CANNOT believe it. The highest I got on practice AAMC was a 39. I am also shocked at PS! I KNOW I missed a few questions in that section and I felt worse about PS than VR but somehow both sciences were higher than verbal. Don't get me wrong--I'm very happy with it, just surprised at the breakdown.

I actually came out of the test feeling alright about the whole thing (I know.. rare) but I chalked it up to my mind closing off memories of the test, it was only after coming on sdn afterwards that I got really worried. I really don't know how I got so much higher than my average...

I'll try to post on the 30+ thread w/ info on how I studied. But I basically used only the BR books of Sn2ed's 3 month schedule. I did nothing else during that time and it pushed back my job search but I am SO GLAD that it all worked out in the end (and that I don't have a random 6 month gap in my resume, well I do, but I have something to show for it now).

To those who met or exceeded their goals-- congrats!! To those who plan on retaking, don't give up! and good luck!