The Official 9/11/2012 MCAT date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nisarg2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

How is the studying going for those of you taking it on arguably one of the worst days in American History? Finished content review yet? Any FL?

Just wanted to do this so we could keep each other motivated.

Ok now back to studying :laugh:!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The only problem is my GPA is fairly low as well. I'm sitting at a 3.58 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA. The only (maybe) thing that will help is that my GPA is from Yale. But doing poorly on the MCAT simply shows that my poor grades are my fault.

Also, this is the point in time where I regret going to Europe for the summer when I was supposed to be studying for the MCAT. Because of that stupid mistake, I had to learn all the orgo, gen chem, and most of the bio in two weeks before I started my practice exams.

I have to say... 30 is NOT doing "poorly" on the MCAT. Perhaps not ideal but its still a decent score many people would kill for. Also, your gpa isn't that low.

I definitely don't think you should give up. A 30 is a good score considering you didn't have that much time for content review. If you think that you got this score because you didn't study enough, then I'm pretty sure you have the potential to score higher once you study more for your retake.

If being a doctor is what you truly want to become...don't give up.

The only problem is my GPA is fairly low as well. I'm sitting at a 3.58 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA. The only (maybe) thing that will help is that my GPA is from Yale. But doing poorly on the MCAT simply shows that my poor grades are my fault.

Also, this is the point in time where I regret going to Europe for the summer when I was supposed to be studying for the MCAT. Because of that stupid mistake, I had to learn all the orgo, gen chem, and most of the bio in two weeks before I started my practice exams.

I'm pretty sure that a 3.6/30 and being from Yale means that you have ~100% at MD....

Great job to everyone who's done as well as they hoped.

All the best to those who decide to retake... I know it's tough; this was my third time taking it.

1st time (2010- junior in college, no practice/studying whatsoever) 27Q
2nd time (2011- just graduated from Michigan, a bit of practice) 29Q
3rd, and final, time (9/11/12- full year and a half out of school, TONS of practice including a full ExamKrackers live course and Kaplan online material): 36Q (11PS/13VR/12BS)

I'm really pleased because my practice test (AAMC and Kaplan practice tests) average was right around a 33.4. My highest, which I thought was a solitary fluke, was a 39. Even though it's not a SUPER high score (I have a pretty low GPA, but lots of good experiences out of college), I'm happy about how balanced it is and really really hope it can offset a low GPA.

I came out of the exam feeling like everything went really well (my immediate guess what that I would hope for something between a 33-36), so I'm glad I at least had a good sense of how everything went.

Good luck with the upcoming application cycle! :xf:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to say... 30 is NOT doing "poorly" on the MCAT. Perhaps not ideal but its still a decent score many people would kill for. Also, your gpa isn't that low.

I definitely don't think you should give up. A 30 is a good score considering you didn't have that much time for content review. If you think that you got this score because you didn't study enough, then I'm pretty sure you have the potential to score higher once you study more for your retake.

If being a doctor is what you truly want to become...don't give up.

I think I am going to retake the test on January 26th. Right now, I think even going up by 1 pt would be worth it because 31 is the average for many medical schools. So I am going to go for it.

Any Canadians want to help me out with releasing my scores? I just requested that my scores be sent to Ontario medical school applications service.

Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. It now says pending.

You're all good. It usually takes 1-2 business days for it to show on AAMC THx, and then a few more for OMSAS to recognize it as received. Pretty sure they keep a good eye on it, just in case. So just make sure that THx shows the request complete in the next couple days and you'll be good. Best of luck in your apps man!

You're all good. It usually takes 1-2 business days for it to show on AAMC THx, and then a few more for OMSAS to recognize it as received. Pretty sure they keep a good eye on it, just in case. So just make sure that THx shows the request complete in the next couple days and you'll be good. Best of luck in your apps man!

Thanks man! Best of luck this cycle!

okay. so student doctor forum has been the death of me. I hated going on this website looking at forums where genius post about there 4.0 and 43 mcat. I was signed up to take a may mcat, i freaked out...like many premeds do and post poned it to the very last day possible aka sept 11th. A little bit about my scores on aamc practice tests:
3 december: 26
7 december: 26
8 march: 29
9 april: 28
10 september: 32
4 september: 35
11 september: 28
CLEARLY my avg mcat score was low. Getting that 28 two days before the real MCAT scared the crap out of me, depleted my confidence. I honestly thought I had no chance at getting a score over 30, and no chance at medical school. Coming out of that test i was in tears, i legitimately had a panic attack during the verbal section where i had to take a few breaths to calm down, and having an avg verbal score of 7-8 on the 1001 examcrackers verbal didnt help.I came out of that test crying, ready to sign up again for a retake in january--I was telling everyone i did poorly, and that i would have to take it again. The scores came up today at around 3, i waited until 12 am to check, chugged my beer, had my hagan daaz ice cream opened and...i got a 36Q (11VR, 11PS, 14 BS)...feels weird even typing...i mean my avg practice was a 29...and i got a 36!!!! For all of those that did not do as well as they thought, keep your chin up--you have another chance to take it. Basically moral of this story...dont base your MCAT score on the AAMC tests...clearly not accurate...and dont let all the egotistical studentdoctor forum posters bring you down--they will flop when it comes to interview time!

I think I am going to retake the test on January 26th. Right now, I think even going up by 1 pt would be worth it because 31 is the average for many medical schools. So I am going to go for it.

I'm glad to hear that. I think you could get in for sure even with the stats that you have now, but if you give the content review more time you'll probably do even better on the MCAT. But I definitely understand how the initial disappointment from one thing can just make the rest of it all feel hopeless. Hopefully as you get further and further away, a mental roadmap to your success will start to take form and you'll have confidence in it. From where I sit, you seem like you're definitely in a good place, you just have to lay down the rest of the path to your goal. :thumbup:

I'm glad to hear that. I think you could get in for sure even with the stats that you have now, but if you give the content review more time you'll probably do even better on the MCAT. But I definitely understand how the initial disappointment from one thing can just make the rest of it all feel hopeless. Hopefully as you get further and further away, a mental roadmap to your success will start to take form and you'll have confidence in it. From where I sit, you seem like you're definitely in a good place, you just have to lay down the rest of the path to your goal. :thumbup:

Thanks! It's nice to hear words of encouragement :)

okay. so student doctor forum has been the death of me. I hated going on this website looking at forums where genius post about there 4.0 and 43 mcat. I was signed up to take a may mcat, i freaked out...like many premeds do and post poned it to the very last day possible aka sept 11th. A little bit about my scores on aamc practice tests:
3 december: 26
7 december: 26
8 march: 29
9 april: 28
10 september: 32
4 september: 35
11 september: 28
CLEARLY my avg mcat score was low. Getting that 28 two days before the real MCAT scared the crap out of me, depleted my confidence. I honestly thought I had no chance at getting a score over 30, and no chance at medical school. Coming out of that test i was in tears, i legitimately had a panic attack during the verbal section where i had to take a few breaths to calm down, and having an avg verbal score of 7-8 on the 1001 examcrackers verbal didnt help.I came out of that test crying, ready to sign up again for a retake in january--I was telling everyone i did poorly, and that i would have to take it again. The scores came up today at around 3, i waited until 12 am to check, chugged my beer, had my hagan daaz ice cream opened and...i got a 36Q (11VR, 11PS, 14 BS)...feels weird even typing...i mean my avg practice was a 29...and i got a 36!!!! For all of those that did not do as well as they thought, keep your chin up--you have another chance to take it. Basically moral of this story...dont base your MCAT score on the AAMC tests...clearly not accurate...and dont let all the egotistical studentdoctor forum posters bring you down--they will flop when it comes to interview time!
This is the same thing that happened to me: my practice scores were going down. I could tell there was a lack of volition during the practice tests though, so I stopped altogether. I think that helped come test day.

36S
BS - 15
PS - 14
Verbal - 7
It sucks that I spent 60% of my time studying verbal, and I scored 3 points below my average on drills and practice tests for it....Oh well.

Even though I don't plan on retaking the MCAT... its been hard for me to let go of this forum. I still visit everyday as though I'm prepping for the test again...what is wrong with me...