The "Official" 6/17/2010 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simran1031

Princess of 2014=)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I realize this test date has not been opened yet but I hope to take it for a third time around then! Looking forward to other June test takers. Feels a bit like deja vu having started the 5/1/2009 MCAT Club =)

Hopefully third time is the charm!!

The cycle has been rough for me so I am hoping I have better luck next cycle. If any of you are curious about my last cycle feel free to check out my blog that contains plenty of my rants about my previous cycle. =)

I hope to see a lot of you active on here soon. I plan to start studying very soon! (hopefully next weekend?) until then I am going to create a study plan and course of action!!

I am really excited to meet you future June test takers and I really hope we can all support each other =)

Members don't see this ad.

PS 13
VR 12
BS 14
W S
I guess I will take it, wanted the 40 to secure my full-ride to Columbia.:mad:

...Really? :yawn:

--

Congrats to everyone else who is happy with their score. For those who are unhappy, this isn't the end - pick yourself up and give it another shot, you'll get there. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
PMer here.

30 (11-9-10)

I freaked out on BS and it really showed here. I was scoring 12s on the last 5 AAMC FLs. I'm happy overall.

Can someone help me out por favor?

Should I just apply this cycle and if it doesn't work out just apply early next one? Is it harder to be a reapplicant instead of a new one? I was going to submit my primary this friday but now I'm having second thoughts.

3.55GPA, 29Q(9,10,10), NY resident, URM.

you're fine. especially for DO schools.

YES you should apply.

Can someone help me out por favor?

Should I just apply this cycle and if it doesn't work out just apply early next one? Is it harder to be a reapplicant instead of a new one? I was going to submit my primary this friday but now I'm having second thoughts.

3.55GPA, 29Q(9,10,10), NY resident, URM.

:(jealous:(

I'm in utter shock, 34M (PM test)

PS: 14!!!!!!
VR: 10!!!!! (expecting a 5)
BS: 10 (eeh)

But wtf i got an M on the writing, am i that incoherent?!?!??!

I have a good GPA and A's in writing classes, I've heard writing isn't that important but still this is pretty bad, what do you guys think?

Can somebody pleaseee tell me if i should even apply this year?

29Q , 3.7 Gpa

I really am not looking into DO schools and 'Im not planning on retaking it this year.. am i doomed?? Im not going for anything high end, but im not even sure if i have a chance anywhere!! :scared:

VR - 11
PS - 12
BS - 11

34P

Was scoring much higher on the sciences on the practice exams, and glad about VR. Was sick on test day and spent 15 mins in the bathroom during PS and another 5 during BS and had trouble focusing.

Not even applying this cycle, going to grad school and will re-take next summer

I'm in utter shock, 34M (PM test)

PS: 14!!!!!!
VR: 10!!!!! (expecting a 5)
BS: 10 (eeh)

But wtf i got an M on the writing, am i that incoherent?!?!??!

I have a good GPA and A's in writing classes, I've heard writing isn't that important but still this is pretty bad, what do you guys think?

Me too, I got a 35M for the PM test.

But I have to say, those writing prompts were stupid.

Somebody tell me that an M is okay.... please?!?!??!?!?

8VS, 11PS, 13 BS
32R

My aamc averages were around a 35-36.

My BS and PS scores were around my average, and it was my verbal score that differed.

edit: PM test

Members don't see this ad :)
33R : 12ps,9vr,12bs . When does AAMC tell me that they confused my score with someone else's? I though I got 13+ PS, 12+ VR and 11+ BS... How much will a 9VR hurt my resume'?

all the scores seem so high, so i figured i'd jump in....

i have a 3.1 gpa overall, BS in biology, tons of research even a first author about to be published

just got my score:

phys: 10
Verbal: 10
Writing: T
Biology: 10

am i stupid or is everyone scoring ridiculously high? i was super excited when I saw the even distribution, and a T for writing... i really want to just get into a US allopathic school, anyone will do... any thoughts? thanks hope everyone did just as well or better and if not, good luck in the near future!

I'm really surprised by these verbal scores. I thought there we be a big curve or something but most people are getting 8-9s when they were doing much higher on the AAMCs. I got a 9 and was getting 10-12s on the AAMCs. Weird.

Me too, I got a 35M for the PM test.

But I have to say, those writing prompts were stupid.

Somebody tell me that an M is okay.... please?!?!??!?!?

I got an M last time I took it, I had the same question. I even called and asked one of admissions people at a school i was applying to, I asked if a bad writing score could actually hurt an applicant. She said "Oh writing scores are pretty much ignored, I mean as long as you didn't get like an "L" , ha ha ha"
Yes, she actually laughed at the concept of a 'L' applicant. I found this unnerving because I had an M and its only one letter away. I talked to another school and they also said they all but ignored the writing section along as it was above an L. So maybe its just luck or maybe there is a huge jump between L and M, but yea, it seems that is the cut off point. An M just makes the cut.

Now, speaking of writing scores. I am so farking confused about mine.
First essay: I lost my focus and wasted time halfway through it, I wrote an argument 'for', wrote one 'against' and then only got halfway through my 'conclusion' when I ran out of time. I didn't proof read, I never checked my spelling, I didn't even finish my third paragraph.

Second essay: I was scared about how bad I did on the first essay. I read the prompt and then just started tearing into the "against" argument. I used about half the time on just the 'against' arguement and then realized, in horror, that I deviated MASSIVLY from the essay prompt. Shame I can't say exactly what the prompt was, but I was seriously way off track. Imagine the prompt was "Why should you buy the iphone" and I started talking about the bad battery life and then went into electrochemistry and ended with a paragraph on the politics of particle accelerators. I mean I was seriously that far off track. And I had little time left and hadn't started my "for" arugment!:scared: Sweating buckets of fear, I broke my typing speed record and pulled paragraphs out of thin air and soon had a decent length "for" arguement. I had about 15 seconds for a "conclusion" paragraph which for my was literally just 1 sentance at the bottom of the page. I looked up and saw 5 paragraphs that I typed as fast as I could and hadn't even begun to proofread. There had to be three dozen typos and spelling errors in there, not that it mattered because I had strayed so far away from the prompt the essay was all but worthless.

Got my score today. I got an S
Words cannot describe my utter confusion at their essay grading system.:confused::confused:

Can somebody pleaseee tell me if i should even apply this year?

29Q , 3.7 Gpa

I really am not looking into DO schools and 'Im not planning on retaking it this year.. am i doomed?? Im not going for anything high end, but im not even sure if i have a chance anywhere!! :scared:

If you're not looking for DO schools, I hope you have a state school.

I got an M last time I took it, I had the same question. I even called and asked one of admissions people at a school i was applying to, I asked if a bad writing score could actually hurt an applicant. She said "Oh writing scores are pretty much ignored, I mean as long as you didn't get like an "L" , ha ha ha"
Yes, she actually laughed at the concept of a 'L' applicant. I found this unnerving because I had an M and its only one letter away. I talked to another school and they also said they all but ignored the writing section along as it was above an L. So maybe its just luck or maybe there is a huge jump between L and M, but yea, it seems that is the cut off point. An M just makes the cut.

Now, speaking of writing scores. I am so farking confused about mine.
First essay: I lost my focus and wasted time halfway through it, I wrote an argument 'for', wrote one 'against' and then only got halfway through my 'conclusion' when I ran out of time. I didn't proof read, I never checked my spelling, I didn't even finish my third paragraph.

Second essay: I was scared about how bad I did on the first essay. I read the prompt and then just started tearing into the "against" argument. I used about half the time on just the 'against' arguement and then realized, in horror, that I deviated MASSIVLY from the essay prompt. Shame I can't say exactly what the prompt was, but I was seriously way off track. Imagine the prompt was "Why should you buy the iphone" and I started talking about the bad battery life and then went into electrochemistry and ended with a paragraph on the politics of particle accelerators. I mean I was seriously that far off track. And I had little time left and hadn't started my "for" arugment!:scared: Sweating buckets of fear, I broke my typing speed record and pulled paragraphs out of thin air and soon had a decent length "for" arguement. I had about 15 seconds for a "conclusion" paragraph which for my was literally just 1 sentance at the bottom of the page. I looked up and saw 5 paragraphs that I typed as fast as I could and hadn't even begun to proofread. There had to be three dozen typos and spelling errors in there, not that it mattered because I had strayed so far away from the prompt the essay was all but worthless.

Got my score today. I got an S
Words cannot describe my utter confusion at their essay grading system.:confused::confused:

I bet we could figure out some method to their madness. Maybe. From your post, it's possible that they look favorably on essays that are a little bit longer. Also, they do not like it if you point out the stupidity of the prompt. I went from a Q to an M doing something like this :scared:

32S:

12 PS
8 V............ as;dkfjakls;dfjasd;f!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12 BS
S WS

3.5ish overall GPA
3.9 graduate GPA

a LOT of EC's.. reapplicant....

apply with this?

I'm relieved, but not thrilled about the score

Just got my MCAT scores. I took the VR from hell and basically frooze but did better than anticipated (I guessed on half and left feeling that I should have voided because of it).

Last edited:
VR 11, PS 14, BS 11, total 36R

everyone seems to have done great.. good job, and thank god we got that over with!

YAHOOOOO!!!! So happy! Now I can put this crap behind me and move on with my life!

To everyone who didn't get what they want, you can do it! Suck it up, study hard, and take it again. Don't think twice about it! I only got like 2 solid weeks of full time studying and improved 4 points. Just focus on PS and BS and you can definitely improve! Good luck and keep your chin up, I was right there with you just 2 months ago!

I predicted a 28 and if you check my history I felt so ****ty after the test I said I wasn't even going to post here again unless I got a decent score. Look at me now!

Peace out peeps, I love you all!

[EDIT]And Ps, there are plenty of people who didn't do that well, too. They're just not posting. So don't be intimidated or get down on yourself after reading this thread.

Last edited:
I bet we could figure out some method to their madness. Maybe. From your post, it's possible that they look favorably on essays that are a little bit longer. Also, they do not like it if you point out the stupidity of the prompt. I went from a Q to an M doing something like this :scared:

That's good to know actually. I betting its not a good idea to "break the fourth wall" (break character and acknowledge your audiance directly). I recall doing something like this on my GRE essay and I did poorly on that even though I'm pretty sure I had solid arguments.

Yeah, 26P here with a freaking 3.89 GPA, for both cumulative and science. :-/ What are my chances? I mean, I guess it's sort of inconsequential, considering the fact that everything's submitted at this point. Considering I won't even be getting back from Costa Rica until August 13th, is there any point in taking the August 24th MCAT?

This is my first time posting on SDN..but can you guys help out this newbie???

I have a 3.9 plus GPA...but I got a 28R on the MCAT (9VR 9PS 10BS)..I didn't get that "magic 30" that I always hear about. Do I need to take the MCAT again..or do I have at least decent chances this cycle at getting into an MD program. I'm a New York resident. Please help me guys!! My school advisor can't help me much...Thanks so much. If my chances are bad..please just tell me "dude..hate to break it to ya"..I'll take that if that's the case..

Thanks

I just looked at my scores (PM) - 33M. 10VR, 12PS, 11BS.

How much do you think the M in writing will affect me???
Good luck to everyone!

33P!

13 P
8 V
12 B

Didn't even have time to guess on one verbal passage... (where the f*ck did that come from!) but found the composure to pull off a good bio afterward to get me into a decent enough school for my taste.

Was averaging ~35 but never this low in verbal...

Anyway, I'm just glad it's over. Now for the app process... :\

I am so distraught....

P - 12
B - 10
V - 7 (????????????)
W - R
(29R)

I read that a 7 verbal is the kiss of death, auto elimination, etc. How could I score 10 or above on every AAMC test and a 7 on the real thing??

Is the general consensus that I sign up to retake in August??

I am so distraught.......

took the mcat last year and received a P11/V8/B11 = 30O.

this time i received a P10/V10/B10 = 30M. i'm disappointed about physical science, i thought i rocked it.

Hey guys, 5/21'er here. First of all, congrats on your scores!!

Maybe I'm not really understanding the scaling system, but after looking at scores from the last few months, it seems there are very few people getting high scores (13-15) on VR, compared to PS and BS.

If the scores are scaled according to others taking the exam on that day, shouldn't there by more high scores for verbal? Or do those people just not post on SDN (maybe they're too busy reading the Wall Street Journal) lol...

Good luck with your apps!

34Q

PS - 11
VR - 11
BS - 12
WS - Q

Nice upgrade in scores from last sept (10 ps, 10 bs, 7 vr, Q).
To those of you who did well - congrats.
To those who didn't get the score they wanted, give it another shot, a few weeks of studying and the experience of having wrote it before will make all the difference to your next write.

Best of luck everyone!

39R! :)
VR 13
PS 11
BS 15

Kind of irked because I went down in PS from last year (how does that work??) and was *really* aiming at a 40, but still totally psyched and excited!!
Being a retaker (34R last year) I was worried I'd go down or not go up substantially and I busted my butt studying for this test - so happy and relieved, the blood sweat and tears were worth it. :) Let's hope this is enough to get me in somewhere this time around!
Congrats to everyone else who's happy with their scores!! For those who aren't as happy, chin up - there's always tomorrow. Just work that much harder and it'll all pay off! :)

WHAT THE PHUCK!!!....

I guess I have to RETAKE in september!!
PHUCK MY LIFE

25Q
VR - 5 (This will always and always PHUCK me, Until I live! Did over 50 practice exam...Can't help it but Physics what the PHUCK!!!)
PS - 8 (Rarely scored below 10 on practice...PHUCK)
BS - 12 (Not BAD!)

I have lot of research and 3.85 GPA both over all and Science arond the same or higher! Still going to put my app for this year!

VR: 9
PS: 9
BS: 8

26...and completely devastated.

Honestly, don't let this get you down. If your scores are 7+ in the sections it means you have the basis you need to do better (IMHO).
You just need to try to isolate what is going wrong and work on it.
My first score was a 25N and I was beside myself thinking I was an idiot or just not cut out for this. But then I figured out what was wrong and today I got a 31Q. It shocked the sh't out of me but made sense.
You can do this, trust me.

Honestly, don't let this get you down. If your scores are 7+ in the sections it means you have the basis you need to do better (IMHO).
You just need to try to isolate what is going wrong and work on it.
My first score was a 25N and I was beside myself thinking I was an idiot or just not cut out for this. But then I figured out what was wrong and today I got a 31Q. It shocked the sh't out of me but made sense.
You can do this, trust me.

Seconded.

Listen to this man. Thought that may just be my level and everyone must just be better than me. Less than three weeks later I took it again. Don't get down on yourself and keep at it, the test isn't insurmountable for anyone by any means. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Well I stalked this thread before and since the exam, and I have to say I'm thrilled that finally the waiting game is over. Congrats to everyone for at least getting through this exam! For anyone needing advice, I averaged high verbal scores ( I am an English major) even getting up to a 15 on AAMC practice tests, but still only got a 10 on VR the actual test even though it felt reasonably straightforward. I am, a believe, a rather proficient writer, but I still only got an "N" on the exam. Just goes to show you that the MCAT is still variable, despite my having done over 15 FL's. On the other hand, I was convinced I bombed PS. I had roughly half the questions marked at the section end, and I had to guess on a substantial amount, enough that I was certain I received below 10. Somehow that translated into a 12. In any case, my message here is that worries about performance after the test are generally misdirected and not helpful. Thanks to everyone for interesting posts along the way. For those wondering, my AAMC tests were averaging around 35, with a high of 38 and a low (first AAMC FL) of 29. 34 and out!

VR 7, PS 10, BS 11 for a 28Q

I thought I completely bombed the science sections and actually did better than expected :)

Thought verbal was easy and got f***ed!!! :(:(:(

Should I even bother applying this cycle? This is so depressing
I feel like I maxed out my bio score, can improve PS by 1 or 2 pts, but verbal section is always hit or miss for me :(

PS = 11
BS = 12
VR = 9

32Q

That VR section sucked (I was getting a 12/13 on the practice tests and am an English major). Does less than a 10 put me out of the running for UMich (my reach school)? I only want to know so I don't have to give them money when they are not going to take me anyway.