The "Official" 6/17/2010 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simran1031

Princess of 2014=)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I realize this test date has not been opened yet but I hope to take it for a third time around then! Looking forward to other June test takers. Feels a bit like deja vu having started the 5/1/2009 MCAT Club =)

Hopefully third time is the charm!!

The cycle has been rough for me so I am hoping I have better luck next cycle. If any of you are curious about my last cycle feel free to check out my blog that contains plenty of my rants about my previous cycle. =)

I hope to see a lot of you active on here soon. I plan to start studying very soon! (hopefully next weekend?) until then I am going to create a study plan and course of action!!

I am really excited to meet you future June test takers and I really hope we can all support each other =)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 4.0 GPA and I got a 29m.
PS 10
VR 10
BS 9
Which is funny because I averaged a 12 in the practice bio sections. Should I even apply with that score?

To everyone who did well....CONGRATS!

To everyone who wanted something more, don't worry, just figure out your weakness and try again.
I took the 3/27 test and got a 25 S.
This time around, scored a 32 S!

Please have faith in yourself and don't give up if this is really what you want to do!

PS 10
VR 10
BS 9
Which is funny because I averaged a 12 in the practice bio sections. Should I even apply with that score?

Definitely. I know alot of people who had the same numbers as you who got into medschool.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS 10
VR 10
BS 9

I had the same problem. I scored 12s in BS for the past 5 practice tests and scored a 10 on the real thing.

You should definitely apply this cycle; your GPA is perfect after all. This is of course assuming that you have good letters and ECs.

What about DO?

12 PS
8 VR
8 BS

28O

Really disappointed about the 8 BS...but it was a miracle to get an 8 in VR, I ran out of time and guessed the last two passages!

Going to apply to in-state (Indiana) to see what happens, but likely I'll be retaking in fall.

the same thing happened to me and I ended up with the worst verbal score I ever got :(

did you take the PM section because I did and I thought the verbal passages were longer than any of the AAMC practice tests.

11 PS
7 VR
11 BS

29 S

Huge improvement from my 23Q that I got two years ago but then again I studied almost double the amount of time I did for that one...and I ignored Kaplan.

If it weren't for that lousy verbal score I'd be thrilled! I was still really happy with BS and PS. I remember finishing verbal and wanting to void based on that alone...and I forgot to answer one question! n00b mistake!!!! haha

I'm applying abroad though, mainly Oz and Ireland so hopefully they cut me some slack.

Suffice to say, I'm very happy with my 32. I feel like I'm ready to take on some interviews.\[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xPSxMA580[/YOUTUBE]

So, I am going to retake it. I know most med schools I would want to go to don't start looking at Apps until late August (Upper tier) I have a friend with similar stats to ours that applied last year and is waitlisted everywhere.I don't really forsee her getting off the waitlist at this point. I just don't think its worth it. I'm taking it again, because I know I can do better. I had a 10V 9PS and 9 BS. I was scoring 12's consistently in verbal, 11s in PS and 11-12 in BS. This test is the only thing standing in your way and mine, so I think you should retake it. You are better than that.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm just gonna shell out the cash for 20+ schools, as well as send out the D.O. application (after all, I'm workin in a hospital now---I see first hand..D.O. are NO DIFFERENT than M.D. Just gotta get over the "stigma" if there is any). The 9 9 10 breakdown is the best breakdown we could have gotten (a 9 is only half a point under the AVERAGE for matriculated students in most schools). It's above the D.O. average and borderline with M.D...I'm just gonna hope for the best. I can't study for this again, especially with an "ok" grade...this test ripped me too shreds and fed me to the birds...Also, I'm weighing a decently early application (its out already) with an ok grade, versus a late application with a potentially great grade,as schools are gonna be waiting for my new MCAT grade. GOOD LUCK on your next try!!

YES!!!!!! just looked at my score now. I almost threw up before I even logged on, but its all good.

12 - PS
10 - VR
12 - BS
P- essay
=
34P
hard work does pay off! best of luck to all of you..Peace!

I am planning to retake on Sept. 2nd as I wound up scoring 5-6 points lower than my average practice tests (verbal is evil). What strategies can you offer given the one month time line? I utilized Kaplan's services and the AAMC practice tests for the 6/17 test.

I am planning to retake on Sept. 2nd as I wound up scoring 5-6 points lower than my average practice tests (verbal is evil). What strategies can you offer given the one month time line? I utilized Kaplan's services and the AAMC practice tests for the 6/17 test.

buy ExamKrackers 101 Passages in MCAT verbal Reasoning Book. It was discouraging at first but I dramatically improved my verbal(yeah, I agree with you, verbal is hell) after finishing the book and its lecture quizzes and doing some AAMC practice tests. Best of luck to you

buy ExamKrackers 101 Passages in MCAT verbal Reasoning Book. It was discouraging at first but I dramatically improved my verbal(yeah, I agree with you, verbal is hell) after finishing the book and its lecture quizzes and doing some AAMC practice tests. Best of luck to you

done and done! thank you so much for the tip!

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal: 9
Bio :9
Phys :12
Writi : Q

My cum GPA is 3.93
Science GPA as in TMDSAS = 3.96

Have excellent Ec. Am researching right now. BUT MCAT (esp bio 9 is kinda killing me). NY resident.
Have been studying a little bit through this period and am registered for August 5th. U think its worth it?

was consistently scoring 33-38 on the practice tests and all.:mad:

Leme know plz....i have kinda mixed feelings now.....

Congrats to those of you who got the scores you wanted.
To those who did, it's not the end of the world. Live to fight another day. My friend got a 19. It took me a lot of work to get her to tell me her score. She's gonna retake. I think the lowest i've seen on this thread is a 24. i know sometime ago, someone on SDN posted a score of 18. i know it's a long time ago.
All i'm saying is that others have had worse score so i hope hearing that makes you feel a little better. You may be knocked down but you're not out forever. Get back back up again.

I do have to say that the scores for this group is scaring everything out of me me i'm hitting the books.

Better luck next time.

i'm really starting to regret messing around in undergrad. it seems you can get into med school fairly easily with a 3.8+ gpa and an average mcat score (28-30).

BAH!!!!!!! lol

question: do we ever get to review the mcat test and see what we got wrong and stuff? lol

Yeah, 26P here with a freaking 3.89 GPA, for both cumulative and science. :-/ What are my chances? I mean, I guess it's sort of inconsequential, considering the fact that everything's submitted at this point. Considering I won't even be getting back from Costa Rica until August 13th, is there any point in taking the August 24th MCAT?

Ughh i'm in a similiar position. 26Q (freakin verbal) with a 3.89 gpa and 4.0 science gpa. I am leaving on a trip and don't get back until august 12th. I will need more than a month to study....it seems insane to me that I will have to wait until JANUARY to retake.

i'm really starting to regret messing around in undergrad. it seems you can get into med school fairly easily with a 3.8+ gpa and an average mcat score (28-30).

BAH!!!!!!! lol

question: do we ever get to review the mcat test and see what we got wrong and stuff? lol

For a small fee everything is possible.... you might have to sell your soul....

Just kidding. But no, you will never see your exam, and you will never know what you got wrong. There is no way the AAMC will release your questions to you. They recycle passages and freestanding questions from exam to exam. I actually remember on my recent MCAT that I had an identical passage to my friend who wrote a year earlier. I recognized it as soon as I saw it, wayyyy too much going on in it, and convoluted questions about condensation.

I'm retaking august 24. I know that it's late for the 2011 cycle but I'm going to give it a shot anyway! I feel like I need all the time I can get to re-study and figure out where I went wrong. I was expecting anywhere from 25-29, never would have even dreamed of getting a 24. I just really hope I can conquer the beast the second time around :(

I know same here!! I never got a 24 on a practice test!! And I never expected to get a 6 in any section...ever. I'm retaking it August 4th. I realize that it's not a lot of time but I'm in denial right now about my VR score (lol) and I know that I can do so much better. Most of the material is still fresh in my mind so I figure I might as well give it a shot and see if the 6/17 score was a fluke.

Good luck to you. We shall conquer the beast this time!!!!! :luck:

Can someone tell me:
I know higher scores are better (obviously) and I know that balanced scores are better, but does the subject breakdown matter? For example is a PS/VR/BS of 12/11/13 better than a score of 12/13/11?

Verbal: 9
Bio :9
Phys :12
Writi : Q

My cum GPA is 3.93
Science GPA as in TMDSAS = 3.96

Have excellent Ec. Am researching right now. BUT MCAT (esp bio 9 is kinda killing me). NY resident.
Have been studying a little bit through this period and am registered for August 5th. U think its worth it?

was consistently scoring 33-38 on the practice tests and all.:mad:

Leme know plz....i have kinda mixed feelings now.....

hmmmm, man that is tough. It depends on what you want to do. Your GPA and sGPA are rock solid. you got a 30 on the MCAT's, not bad. You have some good medical schools in NY that would try to recruit you. If I were you, I would go for it and apply. If you feel that you can do better, do a retake but guarantee that you can do better on the next one. best of luck man.

Well..yet again, verbal is the death of me.

08/06/09:
PS - 14
VR - 8
BS - 15
WS - T

06/17/10:
PS - 15
VR - 7
BS - 14
WS - T

Anyone else rewriting 09/03/10? *sigh*

Last edited:
hey guys, i'm guessing our test date was seriously screwed.

anyways, 28Q 11B,10P,7VR. HATEVERBAL.
i have a 3.9 gpa and pretty good ECs, research, volunteering...

also, NY resident

WHAT SHOULD I DO? retake aug 20th/sept 3rd?? wouldn't that be too late?
or should I just say what the heck and apply?

I got the exact same breakdown on every single section. I'm retaking because the 7 will automatically screen us out of a majority of schools :( I've decided to retake on august 13th and am just hoping to God I can improve verbal to at least an 8

I got the exact same breakdown on every single section. I'm retaking because the 7 will automatically screen us out of a majority of schools :( I've decided to retake on august 13th and am just hoping to God I can improve verbal to at least an 8

hey i also got a 28. 9Vr 9PS and 10BS..i posted earlier that I thought thats good enough..but you guys are so unhappy with your score I just wanna join ya in august! I dunno how much breakdown matters..its still a 28..im confused

PS: 11
VR: 10
BS: 12
Writing: Q

I was consistently making 35-36 on the practice AAMC tests (35 was lowest, and 36 was the highest), it appears that this test has a lot more people who made lower than their practice averages than past test dates.

08/06/09:
PS - 14
VR - 9
BS - 14
WS - T

06/17/10:
PS - 14
VR - 8
BS - 15
WS - T

Those are some gnarly science scores. I'm assuming a lot of Canadian schools require a 10 in VR to be considered right? And they also put some weight into the writing sample, which you apparently had no problem >.>

PS: 11
VR: 10
BS: 12
Writing: Q

I was consistently making 35-36 on the practice AAMC tests (35 was lowest, and 36 was the highest), it appears that this test has a lot more people who made lower than their practice averages than past test dates.

I think we just need to accept that the actual MCAT is unlike the practice passages. I've now taken it twice, went from a 26 to a 31. I credit the jump to realizing that the actual test is really a reading comprehension test, not a science test. Once I started studying for that, I felt much more comfortable. Good luck on your next try, you'll do well with the knowledge that the test is quite different than the practice exams.

After receiving my score yesterday (35R), I decided to submit my amcas at 10 pm last night. This afternoon I received an email saying it was already processed!? Is this normal? i thought it was supposed to take weeks.

Can someone tell me:
I know higher scores are better (obviously) and I know that balanced scores are better, but does the subject breakdown matter? For example is a PS/VR/BS of 12/11/13 better than a score of 12/13/11?

Anecdotally, it seems like for a given score (say... 33), it is better to have a high BS+PS combination, especially when it comes to getting scholarship money. I didn't get money, but most of the people I know who did scored 27+ on PS+BS alone (i.e., at least 13+14, 12+15, 14+14, etc.) or were URM's. For a 33 cumulative score, a person with 12/9/12, 12/8/13, 10/8/15 etc. is way better off than someone with 9/15/9 , because medicine is ultimately about science and verbal is a crapshoot.

edit: everyone makes a fuss about balanced scores being better, but I think that's bull (to an extent). do you think it's better to score 14/7/15/T or 12/12/12/Q? I'll take the person who scored in the ~98-99th percentile on PS and the ~99.8-99.9th percentile on BS and knows how to write (T), even though the latter score is middle of the road in all respects (I mean, for a 36). Getting a 7 on verbal could be played off as a fluke. Getting 27-30 points on PS+BS alone probably isn't an accident.

08/06/09:
PS - 14
VR - 9
BS - 14
WS - T

06/17/10:
PS - 14
VR - 8
BS - 15
WS - T

You're a ***** if you retake it. You'll probably get a full-tuition scholarship to a US MD school with a 37T and 29 PS+BS combo.

Last edited:
After receiving my score yesterday (35R), I decided to submit my amcas at 10 pm last night. This afternoon I received an email saying it was already processed!? Is this normal? i thought it was supposed to take weeks.
processed =/= verified.

So whats the deal with the writing section? Does it matter a whole lot? I've heard it is similar to the SAT writing sample, as in they don't really use it or know what to do with it.

I think we just need to accept that the actual MCAT is unlike the practice passages. I've now taken it twice, went from a 26 to a 31. I credit the jump to realizing that the actual test is really a reading comprehension test, not a science test. Once I started studying for that, I felt much more comfortable. Good luck on your next try, you'll do well with the knowledge that the test is quite different than the practice exams.
I am happy with my score and am definitely not retaking, but I was commenting on how past threads seem to have many more people who scored higher than their practice test average, as opposed to his thread where the majority seem to have done worse than their average.

Hey everyone,

I got a 39O. 14 PS; 11 VR; 14 BS.

I fed up the writing sample obviously. I just was like wtf do you want from me with this prompt? Anyhow whatever. I'm very happy. Totally walked out thinking I got a 31 or 32.

Can I get money to go to school with this score? Does anyone know?

Also, can I get into Cornell or Penn? Sci GPA is around a 3.75 with a Total GPA of 3.56!

WOOOO! Very excited. Submitting AMCAS primary tomorrow.

So after my lowly 25Q I'd still really really like to apply this cycle after I retake in august. Question to all of you very intelligent people is... do I submit now or after my retake scores come out in September? I know it takes a while to verify. Will I be screened out based on my 25 if I submit now, or will I be given a little bit of leeway (not that I'd expect Harvard Med to suddenly give me a secondary, but, you know) since they're aware of my retake. Will they even be aware of my retake?

Thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

Well you did better than I did on the writing sample!!! But I'd say you might want to be conservative in where you apply. I'd say the less competitive schools, DO route, and Caribbean is maybe where you should think about - that is if you're dead set this is what you want to do...

I would say submit your application in the anticipation of doing better on the August MCAT, however, only you can really decide if a month is going to be enough time to pull your MCAT up to where your potential is. No one on this forum can tell you that.

If you don't think you'll have enough time to really pull up your score, then I'd say wait. There's no need to rush this process. I'm 28 so trust me on that. Take some time to really study and take the exam again. You can totally do it. Keep the faith!

08/06/09:
PS - 14
VR - 9
BS - 14
WS - T

06/17/10:
PS - 14
VR - 8
BS - 15
WS - T

Thats just wrong, why dont you apply to American schools?

haha JSU I'm pretty sure FtrDoc was replying to me with the waiting and such, not the person with the score in the 30s.

Thank you FtrDoc... truthfully I'm not expecting to suddenly get a 35 or anything, but considering how incredibly hard I found the PS section on my test this time I'm thinking with some more study and a little luck I can improve enough to at least have a chance. I appreciate your advice!!

Hey everyone,

I got a 39O. 14 PS; 11 VR; 14 BS.

I fed up the writing sample obviously. I just was like wtf do you want from me with this prompt? Anyhow whatever. I'm very happy. Totally walked out thinking I got a 31 or 32.

Can I get money to go to school with this score? Does anyone know?

Also, can I get into Cornell or Penn? Sci GPA is around a 3.75 with a Total GPA of 3.56!

WOOOO! Very excited. Submitting AMCAS primary tomorrow.

Getting money to go to school-- unlikely because of your GPA (unless you have a STRONG upward trend), regardless of which UG you attend. You might get some $ from your state schools, or other schools if you're URM or have a great story/ top-notch experiences. Your MCAT is solid and you have an OK shot at Cornell or Penn if you got that subpar GPA from a top 50 school or something. Apply broadly to many top 20 med schools and you'll probably get into one or two.

35Q: 11V, 12PS, 12BS.
3.95, 3.9+ science.
Good enough for MSTP/top schools?

Good enough for MSTP if you have solid research and maybe some pubs. Apply broadly. Your MCAT is good enough for any school, although it may put you in the bottom of the class standardized test-wise once you get there (not that it matters; don't get psyched out).

As someone who felt that they had the material down and got a 24, how exactly did you change your studying methods for the 2nd mcat? I am retaking Aug 14 and aiming for a 27 at least. (7 8 9 was my breakdown).

Hi guys.. I need some advice.

Last year I got a 30M (12PS, 8VS, 10BS) and applied with a 3.7 GPA cum, one research experience, but no clinical stuff and didn't get in.
Decided to retake and got a 30O (11PS, 9VS, 10BS) this time around. I'm not thrilled with getting the same overall number score, but I'm happy that verbal and writing improved, which was what I bombed last time.

I've decided to apply for 2012 entrance instead, as I feel that I need to boost my EC's.. I'll be doing a bioengineering master's during this time.

So my question is whether I should retake again and hopefully get a better verbal score (so something like a 32-33). What if I retake and get the same score (and god forbid, a lower score)? How bad would it look? Is it worth the risk? Also, with the hope of applying next year with 3 different research gigs, volunteering, shadowing, and more LORs, how do my chances look? Basically, should I retake.. lol.. the decision is is killing me!

is anyone wanting to sell there BR science books ?
I gave away all of my TBR and other study materials today to my school's pre-prof advisory office. However....by some weird circumstance I have brand spanking new, never even USED TBR Chemistry Part I and II. If you're interested, hit me an email.

As someone who felt that they had the material down and got a 24, how exactly did you change your studying methods for the 2nd mcat? I am retaking Aug 14 and aiming for a 27 at least. (7 8 9 was my breakdown).

If you must study again, only study the things you do not know, or are rusty with. What I did was keep a legal pad with things I was not comfortable with. Every two days I would distill it until it was one page of notes that I could easily understand and have with me on test day.

Also, READ. Practice reading. Everything. I don't mean read as many things as you can, I mean, find a newspaper article or a hard book and read it methodically and deliberately. Think of all the implications of everything that you are reading. It's much harder than it sounds and it's exhausting. But, I ultimately found this to be the best practice for the test. So much of the REAL MCAT is reading and remembering and applying. The practice tests are nothing like that.

If you have your stuff down, just practice being deliberate. Good luck on your next exam, and remember to really focus.

Now that everyone is done with their test :D , does anyone have a TPR VR workbook they want to get rid of?