**The Official 2007 SMP/Postbac Applicant Progress Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the phone #'s, I suppose I'll call Georgetown tomorrow. Even if I do get into the program I'm not sure I would attend (for a lot of reasons). EVMS stands as my #1 choice right now....that, and if I pick another school, I lose my $200 deposit. That's a hefty chunk of change. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the phone #'s, I suppose I'll call Georgetown tomorrow. Even if I do get into the program I'm not sure I would attend (for a lot of reasons). EVMS stands as my #1 choice right now....that, and if I pick another school, I lose my $200 deposit. That's a hefty chunk of change. :scared:

But $200 is nothing compared to the amount of debt you'll have from med school... I have to decide between Georgetown and EVMS, and I am leaning towards EVMS, but the deposit is not one of the reasons. Maybe we can compare our reasons sometime.

Well I meant that $200 is a lot to just throw down the drain. I realize med school costs a lot, but at least you get an education out of it (albeit an expensive one). I'm also lucky my parents are paying for part of it, and because of that I feel bad wasting their money by sending in deposits when I'm not even sure I'm going to the school. I also feel bad for wasting their money applying to a bunch of programs I wasn't sure I even wanted to go to as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I meant that $200 is a lot to just throw down the drain. I realize med school costs a lot, but at least you get an education out of it (albeit an expensive one). I'm also lucky my parents are paying for part of it, and because of that I feel bad wasting their money by sending in deposits when I'm not even sure I'm going to the school. I also feel bad for wasting their money applying to a bunch of programs I wasn't sure I even wanted to go to as well.

very true, but evms didn't really give us much time to decide so hands were tied on that one :( .

I'm in!!! :)

MS in neuroscience @ my state med school. Thank god this process is over - I had an absolute nightmare w/ LOR's.

Thanks - stick in there guys - it sucks but it's all worth that one letter.

Has anyone heard anything back from the evening pre-med program??

I'm not too familiar with how these SMP programs work, and if anyone could clear this up for me, that would be very much appreciated. :)

Option 1: Do you apply to medical school while you're completing the SMP program?

Option 2: Or do you finish the SMP program first, and then apply to medical school?

If you chose Option 1 and if you're doing an SMP program to boost your undergrad GPA, then how would the SMP program benefit you in any way during the medschool app cycle? Most people apply to medschool in the fall, and you barely would've started your SMP classes by then, right?

So, if you decide to do an SMP program in order to boost your GPA, is option 2 the best way to go?

option 2 would be the best way to go if you purely wanted to raise your gpa.

however, many people do option 1. you let med school admissions know that you're in an SMP. once you finish the smp, med schools can review your transcripts and decide to let you in or not. your acceptances will be much later than normal b/c you have to finish the program first. it's still beneficial because you're taking classes WITH med students so it is an accurate indicator of your ability.

I just got an email from Georgetown, letting me know that my application is now complete. I applied two months ago! How on earth did it take them two months to decide that my application is done? Grumble grumble. I'm not sure I want to go to a school that disorganized anyways. :mad:

There's got to be a better system than the one they have in place. I would probably have better luck throwing a bunch of papers at their admissions office door and see if anybody picks them up.

I just got an email from UMDNJ, accepting me for the Fall semester. Now I hope the other responses come before the deadline to decide what I am doing with UMDNJ comes.

I just got an email from Georgetown, letting me know that my application is now complete. I applied two months ago! How on earth did it take them two months to decide that my application is done? Grumble grumble. I'm not sure I want to go to a school that disorganized anyways. :mad:

There's got to be a better system than the one they have in place. I would probably have better luck throwing a bunch of papers at their admissions office door and see if anybody picks them up.

Hey, I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm not sure that they've been this disorganized all this time though, because supposedly this year they changed the online system, and it only reflects changes (like when you're complete) if someone has actually manually gone in and clicked off things.... or so I understand. I initially applied early January, but my app was not officially complete until like middle of February (MCAT wouldn't update, "they had delays," etc. etc.). Stick it out. I'm sure it'll be worth it. Plus, 1000 applications doesn't help either. :) Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys I have a question.. i got my letter in the mail for my acceptance to UMDNJ, but they gave me until April 13 to mail in my decision on whether I will be attending or not. I just wanted to know, if I do tell them that I will be attending, but get an acceptance to another school afterwards.. will I be able to withdraw my acceptance? Or will I be held accountabe for the $18,000 tutiton? they didn't tell me to include any kind of deposit. thanks.

I doubt they would hold you responsible for the tuition! But, I do not know their program. I would call them and find out if there is some kind of a deposit so you can find out how much money you will lose if you later withdraw from their program. Hopefully you will hear from your top choice before April 13! :)

I hope I get a :thumbup: :thumbup: from Drexel next week!

hey guys I have a question.. i got my letter in the mail for my acceptance to UMDNJ, but they gave me until April 13 to mail in my decision on whether I will be attending or not. I just wanted to know, if I do tell them that I will be attending, but get an acceptance to another school afterwards.. will I be able to withdraw my acceptance? Or will I be held accountabe for the $18,000 tutiton? they didn't tell me to include any kind of deposit. thanks.

I am in the same boat as you. I haven't heard from the other schools I've applied to & I doubt they will inform me of a decision by april 13th. that is an early deadline in my opinon. I'm gonna call them tomorrow & find out if they can extend that deadline.

I just got an email from UMDNJ, accepting me for the Fall semester. Now I hope the other responses come before the deadline to decide what I am doing with UMDNJ comes.

hey i just got that email this morning as well. congrats... i'm not sure i'm going, but perhaps we'll be future classmates.

thanks guys.. congrats to both of you.. i am starting to like this program a lot now that i did more research into it.. i might just stick with it instead of the others..

I am in the same boat as you. I haven't heard from the other schools I've applied to & I doubt they will inform me of a decision by april 13th. that is an early deadline in my opinon. I'm gonna call them tomorrow & find out if they can extend that deadline.

let us know what they tell you.. maybe i can try same thing

hey everyone! i'm a little late in the application process, but i just mailed in my applications to VCU, Georgetown, UConn, and Upenn.. hopefully i will be back on here with good news!

let us know what they tell you.. maybe i can try same thing[/QUOTE]

I called them today & they told me to email one of their admissions people. I will let you know what she says when she replies (hopefully she will soon)!

thanks sk06.. i appreciate it

hey guys, i spoke with admissions today (UMDNJ Dental and GSBS) and was also told that you can get an extension if you ask for one. also, i asked what kind of connection there was between the program and NJDS, and she said that while there's no formal connection, if you maintain a 3.5, you would be "in good standing with the admissions committee." but i guess you can take that for what it's worth, because you'd be in good standing with most committees if you get a 3.5. also, she said that generally if you get a B+ in dental physiology or dental biochemistry, you can have those courses waived in dental school.

umdnj gave me a 1 week extension till april 20th. they said that is all they can give me though which prob isn't going to help much! oh well, i guess i'll have to make a blind decision within the next few weeks.

Does anyone know if the schools will "throw out" your application if 1 out of 3 LOR's are not received by the deadline? There are a few programs that I applied to that have April 1st deadlines. ALL of my "stuff" was sent in late February, and I was under the impression that my letters had all been sent out as well. I was told by one professor that he sent my letters out two weeks ago, but because I haven't received postcards from the schools saying "complete", I called him back today, and was told that they "thought" they sent them out, but oh, shucks, here they are on his desk!...So they will probably go out tommorrow, which means that the schools have had everything except 1 letter for the past month.
I guess I could call the schools and explain this, but I don't want it to seem like I'm calling and blaming my incomplete app on my professor. So should I just wait until they receive the letter to find out if they are still willing to review my app, or do you think they are pretty clear cut about the deadlines?

Does anyone know if the schools will "throw out" your application if 1 out of 3 LOR's are not received by the deadline? There are a few programs that I applied to that have April 1st deadlines. ALL of my "stuff" was sent in late February, and I was under the impression that my letters had all been sent out as well. I was told by one professor that he sent my letters out two weeks ago, but because I haven't received postcards from the schools saying "complete", I called him back today, and was told that they "thought" they sent them out, but oh, shucks, here they are on his desk!...So they will probably go out tommorrow, which means that the schools have had everything except 1 letter for the past month.
I guess I could call the schools and explain this, but I don't want it to seem like I'm calling and blaming my incomplete app on my professor. So should I just wait until they receive the letter to find out if they are still willing to review my app, or do you think they are pretty clear cut about the deadlines?
Call the school ASAP and explain to the best of your knowledge what happened with the letter - it happens - my guess is that they will take no action on an incomplete file - would be surprised if they tossed it

Ok, but I called most of the schools last week, which is when I was told about the letter not being there in the first place. So you think it won't be too annoying to call back a week later and say, "my professor thought he sent it, but he didn't, so now he is..."?

Ok, but I called most of the schools last week, which is when I was told about the letter not being there in the first place. So you think it won't be too annoying to call back a week later and say, "my professor thought he sent it, but he didn't, so now he is..."?
Call them first thing in the morning - tell them what happened - ask if it would be helpful if the professor faxed a copy of the letter to them (otherwise explaining that it is in the mail and may not arrive for another week)...

umdnj gave me a 1 week extension till april 20th. they said that is all they can give me though which prob isn't going to help much! oh well, i guess i'll have to make a blind decision within the next few weeks.

im gonna call and ask if i can choose to not attend after accepting my acceptance.. ill let you know what they say

im gonna call and ask if i can choose to not attend after accepting my acceptance.. ill let you know what they say

oo i forgot to ask them that. yes, let us know please :)

Has anybody had trouble getting in touch with the UCinn. Program?...I have sent a couple of emails in the last two weeks, left a voice mail, continue to call, and have yet to recieve a response.

arg!! i just received a letter of rejection from georgetown's smp. this rejection was harder on me than my medical school rejections. it felt like a slap in the face-not only are you not good enough to get into medical school, your not good enough to get into a program to even think about applying again. I have a 3.2gpa and 31mcat...oh well maybe tufts or boston u will let me in. i probably should apply to some other smps before its too late in the app season.

arg!! i just received a letter of rejection from georgetown's smp. this rejection was harder on me than my medical school rejections. it felt like a slap in the face-not only are you not good enough to get into medical school, your not good enough to get into a program to even think about applying again. I have a 3.2gpa and 31mcat...oh well maybe tufts or boston u will let me in. i probably should apply to some other smps before its too late in the app season.

Sorry to hear about GU :( G'luck w/Tufts and Boston! I am still waiting to hear about Drexel....ahhh! :scared:

Sorry to hear about GU :( G'luck w/Tufts and Boston! I am still waiting to hear about Drexel....ahhh! :scared:

I haven't heard a word from Drexel since my app was complete about a month and a half ago. Boo.

I am very fortunate that I have other acceptances, though. I'm sorry to hear about GU, socal78. I have the same stats as you and I haven't heard from them at all, which I'm taking to be a bad sign. I hate this process. :(

Ditto. I find myself checking this forum a lot just to see if anyone has heard anything....

Yeah me too. I was already a compulsive email checker, and now I hang out around SDN waiting for updates.

At least SDN is far more entertaining than my homework. Writing papers was never/still isn't my strong point. :barf:

Has anybody had trouble getting in touch with the UCinn. Program?...I have sent a couple of emails in the last two weeks, left a voice mail, continue to call, and have yet to recieve a response.

i called a few weeks ago (i posted on this thread what i was able to find out).. ms coleman was very helpful.
it sounded like they have had a lot of applications and are also waiting to find out exactly how many spots they can offer (she told me it depends also on the medical school and number of first years since they are limited in terms of the lecture halls).
good luck!

Ditto. I find myself checking this forum a lot just to see if anyone has heard anything....
I know I hated the waiting game (although I'm sure this is just excellent prep for applying to med school this year), so wanted to let you guys know that I just heard yesterday I was ACCEPTED to Georgetown SMP! Good thing, cause I didn't apply to any other programs.

For those of you wondering, my online application was submitted March 9 (all other materials sent much earlier), received an email from Ms Cabiness verifying my complete application in their office March 28 and to expect to wait 2-6 weeks for reply, and received email acceptance morning of April 4. I am so happy I don't have to wait the until June or July to hear something official.

Also, while it seems that basic stats are not all that go into the decision (I was freaking out a bit at someone else's post who had received a rejection with similar stats) here are mine:

Science 3.13
Cum GPA 3.26
MCAT 34R (V 10 B 12 P 12)

Good luck to the rest of you! I hope that you hear positive answers soon. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys at Georgetown in the fall. For those you doing SMPs and applying to med school concurrently, what does your school list look like?

Drexel called me yesterday to schedule a phone interview for the IMS program. I submitted my aplication a little over a month ago and I have not gotten any of my cards back in the mail, but I did call about 2 weeks ago and they told me I was complete. So the committee is there; I think it's still early in their season.

Good luck everyone.

did you applied to drexel medical school? Have you heard from the medical school yet?

come on usf...the date of notification is coming up 16 april...:D

did you applied to drexel medical school? Have you heard from the medical school yet?

I did apply to the med school this year, and no, I haven't heard anything from them.

I have applied to only 2 post bacc programs (bad I know) UCONN and Drexel PMED programs. Im just waiting on UCONN and Drexel is having an issue with my application b/c I did not take my GRE so they want my SAT scores. The freaking college board is acting crazy with sending my scores so that is holding my application up. Im getting worried b/c my grades arent that strong...and someone with better grades may take my spot!

if anything i guess i will have to take my classes @ a local school...

are you guys planning on applying to med/dental schools while you're in the postbacc program or are u going to wait until you're done with it? i am getting confused about this.

If all goes well for me (I haven't heard from Drexel yet), then I am going to apply after my first year of the program and do the 2nd year of the program during my "lag" year.

So:
2007-2008 1st year
Apply to med school spring/summer 2008
2008-2009 2nd year
Get accepted to med school spring-ish 2009 :luck:
Grad May 2009 from program
Start med school Fall 2009 :luck:

For those of you wondering, my online application was submitted March 9 (all other materials sent much earlier), received an email from Ms Cabiness verifying my complete application in their office March 28 and to expect to wait 2-6 weeks for reply, and received email acceptance morning of April 4. I am so happy I don't have to wait the until June or July to hear something official.

I'm quite jealous of you! My status is App submitted Jan 31st, complete verification March 28th, and ????

Sweet, georgetown, sweet. Whatever, I wouldn't go there anyways because it would require living with my parents. I think I'd rather live in a box on the side of the street than have to put up with them 24/7. :barf:

I think I'd rather live in a box on the side of the street than have to put up with them 24/7. :barf:

I definitely feel you on that one ssquared. haha. Too bad I won't be seeing you at georgetown in the fall. Oh well. Where are you going instead?

Ssquared...

Out of curiosity, if you're so certain you wouldn't go there, why apply? Why leave your application active? If you withdraw, that would only help the office get through the apps to people who actually want to be there, and it would save you the frustration of having to wait for them to finally get to you.

Just a thought.

I'm quite jealous of you! My status is App submitted Jan 31st, complete verification March 28th, and ????

Sweet, georgetown, sweet. Whatever, I wouldn't go there anyways because it would require living with my parents. I think I'd rather live in a box on the side of the street than have to put up with them 24/7. :barf:

Ssquared...

Out of curiosity, if you're so certain you wouldn't go there, why apply? Why leave your application active? If you withdraw, that would only help the office get through the apps to people who actually want to be there, and it would save you the frustration of having to wait for them to finally get to you.

Just a thought.

You have a point. I thought for a long time it was my top choice, but I've come to realize that I would probably just have too many problems with my parents. I think that if I weren't from DC I would still want to go to Georgetown.

I have given up on contacting them. I've emailed, called, sent letters...they haven't ever responded to anything. I suppose I could try to withdraw at this point, but I really actually hadn't given it much thought. I'm just so mad at them for taking my $120 and then sitting on my app for so long. No other school did that. If I have some free time later maybe I'll try to figure out where I would even send a withdrawl letter....