*^~*~^* The Official 2006-2007 "What Are My Chances/Where to Apply" Thread *^~*~^* part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DR. BRAINIAC said:
HI, im new to this network.....what are my chances to getting into a top tier? :sleep:

Why do I get the feeling from the stupid sleepy face after your post that you're DR. EUGENIC? I think your account was locked for a reason... :sleep: :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

jackieMD2007 said:
I think you are an outstanding candidate for SIU--especially being from Urbana.

not with his stats..

Members don't see this ad :)
DR. BRAINIAC said:
HI, im new to this network.....what are my chances to getting into a top tier? :sleep:

Hey Dr. Brainiac,
Just thought you might need some help with your profile there. If you graduated with a 4.0 from Harvard you would have graduated summa cum laude, not magna. Now, I'm not saying your profile is fake, just saying its fake-ish.

CaramelDlite said:
Hey Dr. Brainiac,
Just thought you might need some help with your profile there. If you graduated with a 4.0 from Harvard you would have graduated summa cum laude, not magna. Now, I'm not saying your profile is fake, just saying its fake-ish.

uh sorry if i havent graduated yet......so im not sure the exact latin honors.....why dont you get a life......dont talk to me unless your stats equal mine....they dont so dont talk to me...

Johnny_one_eye said:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=5817

I'd like to know what you think of my chances if someone has time. I'm a reapplicant from last year (applied to 5 schools, no interviews)...
Your school selection looks good. You might want to add a few schools though because your stats are low. Most people apply to 10-20 schools I think, the lower your stats, the more schools you apply to. Good luck!

jackieMD2007 said:
I think you are an outstanding candidate for SIU--especially being from Urbana.

Yeah well I'm not actually from Urbana, I'm from a Chicago suburb, just going to school in Urbana. I don't like the sound of the SIU program (don't like the idea of PBL among other things), and I'm afraid of getting stuck with them as my only acceptance. I'm considering withdrawing from there but still haven't decided for sure. I'm thinking about retaking the MCAT and hopefully improving my scores. I know I can. I wish I could have in August, but my busy summer would have cut into my study time. I'd just like to have the 30+ so I'd be competetive at schools I'd really like to go to.

I would go to any MD school in the US. CA resident- Odds of getting into one school?

GPA- 3.34

Science GPA- 3.30

(GPA was 3.15 at graduation but I did a year informal post-bac of upper division biology classes with a 3.89)

MCAT- 31P (11-V 10-PS 10-BS)

ECs- Volunteering at Hospital (150 hrs), with Elderly (80 hrs), and Church related volunteering (400 hrs)

LORs- Nothing special

speedyk said:
I would go to any MD school in the US. CA resident- Odds of getting into one school?

GPA- 3.34

Science GPA- 3.30

(GPA was 3.15 at graduation but I did a year informal post-bac of upper division biology classes with a 3.89)

MCAT- 31P (11-V 10-PS 10-BS)

ECs- Volunteering at Hospital (150 hrs), with Elderly (80 hrs), and Church related volunteering (400 hrs)

LORs- Nothing special
Does your GPA show an upward trend? If so, I think you have a fairly good shot of getting into a med school. Your MCAT is good, ECs are ok. Apply to a bunch of low tiers, some mid tiers, and a few reaches if you want.

ParvatiP said:
Does your GPA show an upward trend? If so, I think you have a fairly good shot of getting into a med school. Your MCAT is good, ECs are ok. Apply to a bunch of low tiers, some mid tiers, and a few reaches if you want.

Actually a downward trend until the extra year of bio courses I just completed. I worked for a couple years between the time I graduated from college and went back to school.

I posted this yesterday sometime and no one responded... and then pages started filling and I began to think I'd been lost along the way... I know I'm being a little compulsive, as it's not like you guys can really tell me much, except opinion, anyway, but I'm going to repost :) It's still nice to hear honest thoughts from totally unbiased individuals. So here we go again! If no one responds this time, I'll take the hint ;)

Hi everyone! I guess I'm here with pretty much the same questions as everyone - where should I apply with my set of credentials, and what are my chances of an acceptance somewhere?

I have an overall GPA of 3.87 and a BCMP GPA of 3.66. My MCAT is a 28N with a very unbalanced spread - PS 7, BS 8, and VR 13.

After studying as much as possible considering my summer schedule (had a 40 hr/wk job as soon as finals were over, then left in late June for the intensely busy 6-week pre-med program I'm currently in) and taking several full lengths, I have decided not to retake the MCAT in August. My scores were relatively stable (a few points up or down here or there), and I simply do not have the time between now and then to do adequate preparation. My fear is that my score will either drop or stay basically the same, and then not only will I have a sub-par MCAT score, but also a very late application.

I am now trying to compile a list of schools at which I might be a semi-competitive candidate. Any help would be very much appreciated!

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=6220

sunflwr85 said:
I posted this yesterday sometime and no one responded... and then pages started filling and I began to think I'd been lost along the way... I know I'm being a little compulsive, as it's not like you guys can really tell me much, except opinion, anyway, but I'm going to repost :) It's still nice to hear honest thoughts from totally unbiased individuals. So here we go again! If no one responds this time, I'll take the hint ;)

Hi everyone! I guess I'm here with pretty much the same questions as everyone - where should I apply with my set of credentials, and what are my chances of an acceptance somewhere?

I have an overall GPA of 3.87 and a BCMP GPA of 3.66. My MCAT is a 28N with a very unbalanced spread - PS 7, BS 8, and VR 13.
[/url]

You don't have a subpar MCAT score, the average MCAT for some schools is between 27 and 30. So I would call it 'par'. You have great ECs, good GPA so very good chance of getting into a school. So go ahead apply to your state schools and add the usual schools that your stats match or exceed. *cough* albany *cough*...oh got a bit of cold there.

hey guys, no mdapps profile but hey:
GPA - 3.5 approximate BCPM and AO, CS and Bio major
MCAT - >36
ECs - mainly research some shadowing, applying MSTP/MD/PhD everywhere.
I'm trying to add some backup schools that I have a great chance of getting into. Currently - Davis, UTMB, Utah, Loyola, Penn State
Yeah yeah i know, loyola and davis aren't backups.
Any suggestions? (don't say state schools, i'm a cali resident).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all.
Just wondering what other schools I should consider as back up schools as well as mid to low tier schools. I am not sure what else to include besides the schools I have listed in my mdapp. Any comments/advice would be great!

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=06241

Thanks!

Is there any chance of getting into any medical school with a 3.0? What MCAT scores would this GPA require?

theothernguyen said:
Hello all.
Just wondering what other schools I should consider as back up schools as well as mid to low tier schools. I am not sure what else to include besides the schools I have listed in my mdapp. Any comments/advice would be great!

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=06241

Thanks!
Depends on where you are interested in living...look at mid tier state schools that accept OOS, some private schools to consider are Drexel, NYMC, Temple, etc. but it all depends where you want to go. Check out MSAR!

ncb said:
Is there any chance of getting into any medical school with a 3.0? What MCAT scores would this GPA require?
To be competitive, your MCAT should be 30+. In your case, it may be difficult to get in unless you get a 35+ or have excellent ECs. But of course, it's not altogether impossible! You may want to consider a post-bacc program to increase your GPA. Good luck!

Hi-haven't posted in a while but I wanted to get some feedback-I'm a non-trad and graduated in '02

Undergrad-BS in Biochemistry Honors from UMich
Overall GPA-3.51
BCPM GPA-3.39

MS in Biochemistry from UMich
Overall GPA-3.8
BCPM GPA-3.8

MCAT: 31N (10PS, 9VR, 12BS)
EC: extensive research as Undergrad, Research Tech At Rockefeller (2 years), Masters research in an HHMI lab, volunteer at UMich hospital, Volunteer work at nursing homes. LORs from UG and grad advisor and PI at Rockefeller.

Thanks for any advice :)

morriske said:
Hi-haven't posted in a while but I wanted to get some feedback-I'm a non-trad and graduated in '02

Overall GPA-3.51
BCPM GPA-3.39

Overall GPA-3.8
BCPM GPA-3.8

EC: extensive research as Undergrad, Research Tech At Rockefeller (2 years), Masters research in an HHMI lab, volunteer at UMich hospital, Volunteer work at nursing homes. LORs from UG and grad advisor and PI at Rockefeller.

I think you have a very good chance of getting in. :) Your MS grades should help offset a slightly low GPA and your MCAT is competitive. ECs sound great too. Good luck this cycle!

Hi guys! I'm getting ready to submit tomorrow and am compiling my final list of schools. If anyone has a second to look over my mdapps profile and see what they think about my choices, I would appreciate it! I don't want to overlook any places where I might stand a chance :) Thanks in advance!

morriske said:

Overall GPA-3.51
BCPM GPA-3.39

Overall GPA-3.8
BCPM GPA-3.8

you are easily in great shape I think... med schools know how hard it is to get good grades in umich pre-med classes...
check this out:

http://www.cpp.umich.edu/students/healthmedlaw/med/medappstats.htm

sunflwr85 said:
Hi guys! I'm getting ready to submit tomorrow and am compiling my final list of schools. If anyone has a second to look over my mdapps profile and see what they think about my choices, I would appreciate it! I don't want to overlook any places where I might stand a chance :) Thanks in advance!
Your stats are ok and your schools look good. One I would question is OHSU because I've heard that they are accepting more Oregon applicants over OOS, so unless you have ties to the state, I might drop it. Rush also has a fairly high instate bias.
EDIT: Oops, thought you were a Miss. resident for a second, never mind.

ParvatiP said:
Your stats are ok and your schools look good. One I would question is OHSU because I've heard that they are accepting more Oregon applicants over OOS, so unless you have ties to the state, I might drop it. Rush also has a fairly high instate bias.
EDIT: Oops, thought you were a Miss. resident for a second, never mind.

Yeah, I know OHSU is a long shot, but I love the area :) It may come off in the final review of schools. And as far as the Chicago schools go, I do have ties in the area. I've never lived there, so I'm not sure how much it will help me, but my mom grew up in the suburbs, and I still have tons of family in the general Chicago area. We visit at least once a year, and I love it up there. Definitly wouldn't be opposed to relocating to the area for the future, and I know my parents will likely end up there as well. So I'll see how far that gets me :)

Unfortunately the only med school in MS doesn't accept out of state students, or I guarantee it'd be on there! I do have the option of switching my residency since I've lived there for 3 years now, but I prefer the TN schools personally.

Thanks for taking a look and for the advice!

wrong thread :p

Help! Should I add more safety schools? If so, which schools should I add? (my info on that profile isn't entirely correct, didn't want schools to ID me (SDN paranoia) :)

3.92 gpa and PS: 10 BS: 10 VR: 8 (28N)

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=5734

I have added:

Cin
Iowa
Pitt
Louisville
MC of Ohio

But what else? Am I ok? Ill apply to DO Schools too, but just wanted to make sure I was safe on MDs first....Thanks!

I am starting to consider adding some more schools but I would like to know what you all think. These are my stats and the ECs I listed on AMCAS
African-American URM

MCAT: VR:10 PS: 12 BS:10
BCPM:3.5 Overall:3.55 (no upward trend, just pretty random)

Went to a top 5 school (which I would like to leave anonymous, I'm a little paranoid too :rolleyes: )

President of Cultural Organization 2+years
Member of Dance team 3+ years; Vice President/Company choreographer 1 year
Elementary tutor in urban community 3+years
Youth Mentor 1 year
Pediatric Ward volunteer 1 year (3 semesters)
Various paid jobs throughout college
Study Abroad in Italy.
Bone Marrow Transplant unit volunteer 1 semester
Member of Honor Fraternity
Member of race relations org. 3+years; social Chair 1 year
Committee Chair for Black Student organization
NIH research grant for brain tumor research at UVA (research in process of being published)
Organic Chemistry Supplementary Instructor 1 semester and Organic Chemistry tutor 1.5 years (combined these two on AMCAS)
Healthcare Consultant (now)
General Chemistry TA 1 semester

I was considering adding some big time reach schools, but don't want to seem as if I am wasting money. Anyone have any suggestions for GPA friendly schools?

Hey

I think you should go for whatever you want and not sell yourself short, especially if you only applying. Go for the big name schools, and I think you will do well; you ECs are good enough for it.

akinf said:
Hey

I think you should go for whatever you want and not sell yourself short, especially if you only applying. Go for the big name schools, and I think you will do well; you ECs are good enough for it.

Thanks for the input, the MD Applicants page worries me sometimes. Hopefully admissions committees will seriously consider me even though I haven't saved a small third world country before :rolleyes:

mjos22 said:
Help! Should I add more safety schools? If so, which schools should I add? (my info on that profile isn't entirely correct, didn't want schools to ID me (SDN paranoia) :)

3.92 gpa and PS: 10 BS: 10 VR: 8 (28N)

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=5734

I have added:

Cin
Iowa
Pitt
Louisville
MC of Ohio

But what else? Am I ok? Ill apply to DO Schools too, but just wanted to make sure I was safe on MDs first....Thanks!

bump :)

Yeah, so nobody has left my MDapps any feedback. Please comment here or on there, as I would like feedback :)

:idea: :idea: :confused: Hey guys,

I have a question about my MD/PhD (MSTP) chances at the UT Schools.

Here are my stats:
3.5gpa, Mechanical Engineering major
34 mcat
good research, but no publications.
from a good name school

im worried that my gpa mite b a little 2 low for the MSTP's. also i dont have n e pubs. i feel like tat mite hurt me a lot. what do you guys think? my EC's are pretty good, no big awards or anything, but the usual. less clinical but more research of course.

tanks fer ur help!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Care to comment on my choice of schools? Thanks...

how are these chances?...
UCSF (out of state), harvard, stanford, OHSU(in state)

MCAT above average for all med schools
GPA above average for all med schools
LOR will (should) be fine

but.....

I come from a smaller liberal arts school, not that known
not much clinical/research experience, only this summer I'm finally doing some research at OHSU
My primaries arent done yet, still screwing around with personal statement

damn the personal statements

chortlehortle said:
how are these chances?...
UCSF (out of state), harvard, stanford, OHSU(in state)

MCAT above average for all med schools
GPA above average for all med schools
LOR will (should) be fine

but.....

I come from a smaller liberal arts school, not that known
not much clinical/research experience, only this summer I'm finally doing some research at OHSU
My primaries arent done yet, still screwing around with personal statement

damn the personal statements
Hard to say without specifics of your application...and still, it will be hard to say! :) If your stats are comparable to avg for the schools in question, then you will have a decent chance of at least an interview, but there are no guarantees. I assume you'll be applying to other schools right?

ParvatiP said:
Hard to say without specifics of your application...and still, it will be hard to say! :) If your stats are comparable to avg for the schools in question, then you will have a decent chance of at least an interview, but there are no guarantees. I assume you'll be applying to other schools right?

37R, 4.0, might get published eventually in gene therapy research, lotsa little activites such as church, tutoring, lab TA... more details?

yeah, I know nothing is certain and it all depends. but some people tell me theres viritually zero chance of a school like harvard coming from a small school. but i think as long as i can get an interview any thing goes?

im banking on an ohsu acceptance cause im instate and im working there right now, one safety school loma linda, and im considering some other mediocre schools like BU or darthmouth, but i want to stay on the west coast. are there any UC schools that take a fair amount of out of staters? what do you think.. am i crazy?

chortlehortle said:
37R, 4.0, might get published eventually in gene therapy research, lotsa little activites such as church, tutoring, lab TA... more details?

yeah, I know nothing is certain and it all depends. but some people tell me theres viritually zero chance of a school like harvard coming from a small school. but i think as long as i can get an interview any thing goes?

im banking on an ohsu acceptance cause im instate and im working there right now, one safety school loma linda, and im considering some other mediocre schools like BU or darthmouth, but i want to stay on the west coast. are there any UC schools that take a fair amount of out of staters? what do you think.. am i crazy?
With your stats, I think you have a good shot. Check out an MSAR to look at how many OOSers the UC schools take. UCSF matriculates ~20 (I don't have an MSAR on hand right now, so double check this one), which is the most of any UC. The others take very few OOSers, so it will be very competitive to get a spot. Stanford takes OOS, of course, it's not very easy to get in either! I don't think that the fact you went to a small school will hurt you, esp. since you did so well on your MCAT. So apply to your reach schools, but make sure you have a few safeties too. :)

ParvatiP said:
With your stats, I think you have a good shot. Check out an MSAR to look at how many OOSers the UC schools take. UCSF matriculates ~20 (I don't have an MSAR on hand right now, so double check this one), which is the most of any UC. The others take very few OOSers, so it will be very competitive to get a spot. Stanford takes OOS, of course, it's not very easy to get in either! I don't think that the fact you went to a small school will hurt you, esp. since you did so well on your MCAT. So apply to your reach schools, but make sure you have a few safeties too. :)

thanks pavarti, all i need to do now is actually finish up and send in my amcas... im late huh? damn you world!

good luck on your stuff too!

I will be a senior, I have a 3.3 GPA, 33 MCAT, 2 years Research, ECs, residential advisor, not much clinical/volunteer experience. I plan to boost my clinical exp this year, and also raise my GPA to 3.4.
I checked the mdapplicants site. I got some results with my numbers, but I'm not sure how useful that is.
I live in NY. What are my chances of getting in next year?
Any suggestions on how I can improve my chances over this next year?

Thank you

abdesai said:
I will be a senior, I have a 3.3 GPA, 33 MCAT, 2 years Research, ECs, residential advisor, not much clinical/volunteer experience. I plan to boost my clinical exp this year, and also raise my GPA to 3.4.
I checked the mdapplicants site. I got some results with my numbers, but I'm not sure how useful that is.
I live in NY. What are my chances of getting in next year?
Any sugguestions on how I can improve my chances over this next year?

Thank you

i hate posting on this stupid thread because of all the kids just showing off but you seem like a winner.

Your GPA is ok. MCAT is fine. research is great. what you really need to get in the next year is more clinical experience.

I was just wondering what you all thought my chances are.

LittleriRich said:
I was just wondering what you all thought my chances are.
Decent MCAT, good GPA, but hardly any clinical experience! That could really hurt you I think. Schools like to see that you've experienced (somewhat) what a career in medicine is like. I would advise you do some shadowing/volunteering (medicine related) this app cycle to improve your chances. I don't know if you prefer MD over DO, but gaining clinical experience will really help you get an MD acceptance. Also, why not apply to your state school? Good luck!! :)

ParvatiP said:
Decent MCAT, good GPA, but hardly any clinical experience! That could really hurt you I think. Schools like to see that you've experienced (somewhat) what a career in medicine is like. I would advise you do some shadowing/volunteering (medicine related) this app cycle to improve your chances. I don't know if you prefer MD over DO, but gaining clinical experience will really help you get an MD acceptance. Also, why not apply to your state school? Good luck!! :)

I didn't apply to Utah because I didn't meet all the pre-reqs and a few doctors I know think the medical school at Utah is going down hill.

Robizzle said:
i hate posting on this stupid thread because of all the kids just showing off but you seem like a winner.

Your GPA is ok. MCAT is fine. research is great. what you really need to get in the next year is more clinical experience.

Yeah, I'm trying to find something decent that I could do part time at a hospital while I'm in school.

abdesai said:
Yeah, I'm trying to find something decent that I could do part time at a hospital while I'm in school.

Are South Asian-Americans URMs?

speedyk said:
Are South Asian-Americans URMs?

no, if anything they are over represented minorities

UMP said:
no, if anything they are over represented minorities

That's what I thought. Sorry abdesai.

I don't really know anything about URM (haven't applied yet), I'll just take it off...

Would a medical school take traumatic experiences into account when reviewing ones app? For example, I lost my mother last april, and as no surprise my GPA took a rather harsh nosedive for that semester. Would they take that into consideration, or would they look at it as my inability to persevere?

Phantasmagoria said:
Would a medical school take traumatic experiences into account when reviewing ones app? For example, I lost my mother last april, and as no surprise my GPA took a rather harsh nosedive for that semester. Would they take that into consideration, or would they look at it as my inability to persevere?

they will take it into account dude they are human also, and sorry for your loss.

Phantasmagoria said:

That would be a very reasonable explaination for an unusually poor semester. They would i'm sure consider mitigating circumstances like that. I'm sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.