*^~*~^* The Official 2006-2007 "What Are My Chances/Where to Apply" Thread *^~*~^* part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for recent responses guys. I am a white male from Mississippi who goes to school at Wheaton College. ECs include two years of research in developmental biology, president of pre-med society, clinical experience with a doctor who did surgery on me when I was young, volunteerism through a student run volunteering network at Wheaton, Chem tutoring at Wheaton, TAing, jobs, a couple of research awards, presentations at conferences, other memberships, studying abroad at Oxford next semester; above average from what I understand but not great. All is good except that MCAT score, which is VERY important, but I feel as if I get an interview I might just put myself in a position for acceptance. Who knows? Do you guys think that Pritzker/NWstern/Baylor/Vandy, the more top of the line schools I mentioned, would give me an interview? That is all I can hope for at this point. Thanks again for the responses y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my MCAT score (40R), and while I was really happy about it, I also felt a little disappointed b/c my GPA is on the low side (3.6). Do I have a chance at any of the top schools?

My undergrad is Harvard, and my ECs and LORs are decent but nothing exceptional -- a few clubs and leadership positions, some clinical exposure, research in a bio lab, etc. Thanks so much in advance for all your input!

I just got my MCAT score (40R), and while I was really happy about it, I also felt a little disappointed b/c my GPA is on the low side (3.6). Do I have a chance at any of the top schools?

My undergrad is Harvard, and my ECs and LORs are decent but nothing exceptional -- a few clubs and leadership positions, some clinical exposure, research in a bio lab, etc. Thanks so much in advance for all your input!
I don't think you will have a problem .... while 3.6 is average, 40 isn't ... Plus you are from an Ivy.

Members don't see this ad :)

i'm a 39/3.5, also from an ivy
amd my extracarrics are good but not stellar, like yurs
i got reject from chicago and mayo, but got an invite from case

take that as you will

I need to know my chances for acceptance and what i need to do! I graduated with chem and bio majors GPA 3.96 and science GPA of 3.94. MCAT 23P (VR4, PS10, BS9). I have applied to some US and Canadian med schools where else should i try. (I don't want to attend an MD program that cause me to have problem with getting into residency later ex;carribeans). thanks for your advice in advance.

Your stats are great, so you should expect very little bad news in the process. As far as top5 schools, they receive a lot of applications from very intelligent students, so the separating factor is in most cases going to be the ECs, LORs, and interview

in a brief spurt of anxiety, i'm wondering if I need to add any schools before the October 15 deadline. Could you check out my mdapps and let me know how my list looks? Any suggestions?

Brief summary: Yale undergrad, 3.6 with a 37 MCAT (writing O)
current grad student in a pass-fail program (M.Div)

some good extracurriculars, little research, long commitment to underserved communities...

Am I applying broadly enough?

reverend doc, I'm still a n00b at this, but it looks like you have a nice mix of schools -- maybe try a few more "safety"-type schools, though, since the process seems so random and you never know. on the other hand, filling out secondaries must be a pain...

btw, thanks to everyone for their input on my post! i'm going to try to keep my hopes up.

thanks for the comment, brrr. Adding more 'safeties' was my thought, too...I'll keep thinking.

As far as your numbers go, they look really good to me. I think you'll do fine as long as you get a range in as well. :thumbup:

anyone else have ideas?

I have a 10 O (VR 11 Bio 10 PS 9) I have 3.43 gpa with a 3.43 science. my freshman year i had 2.7 and since then it's been a 3.7.

I have shadowed a couple doctors and volunteered at a hospital 6 months.

Appling to Kansas and Oklahoma

thanks for all replies

if i decided to attend a school outside of the us... would i still be able to here?

My Turn....:D

32 (8VR :(, 12 BS, 12 PS)

Mediocre GPA 3.54 Overall, 3.62 BCMP

Good extracurrics, and leadership postions. Plus the usual, clinic/shadowing etc.

What im worried about is the 8 in VR, on the bright side i got a R in the writing but we know that is as valuable as gum at the bottom of my shoe...right?
I applied to almost exclusivley mid-range and lower tier schools.

Any commetns would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys....another me, me, me post, but I feel the need to do it and would greatly appreciate some comments. I posted this in the merger thread as well. I am a Biochemistry/Molecular Biology major, which I completed in 3 years, and a Classics minor from a pretty good Midwestern liberal arts school with a 4.0 GPA and a 31R on the MCAT (August 2006, 11, 9 (VR), 11). I also feel like my ECs are strong as well as my LORs, but I was wondering how you feel my chances are at some of the following:

Baylor, Boston U, Pritzker, Vandy, Northwestern, SLU, Case Western, Dartmouth, Emory, Georgetown, Wake

All secondaries are in (excluding Wake and Vandy) and I feel confident in my state medical school (already done). Do you think I will score interviews at any of these? Is my MCAT too low and reflect poorly upon my GPA? Would my lackluster VR be somewhat negated with a pretty good writing score (R)? Thanks y'all.

Your chances are possible but don't get your hopes up at those schools because they are quite competitive. In other words, this translates out to me tellng you to apply to more schools and a broader range of schools.

Oh and apply to state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.7 GPA Swarthmore
3.7 BCPM
41S
Graduated in 3 Years
1 Year Americorps (CityYear)
2 Years Teach for America
5 Years founding teacher at successful/award-winning public middle school
Advisor/Supervisor for Teach for America corps members, led NYC Science Content Group
Co-taught "Science for Teachers" graduate class
Supervised student teachers from NYU, Bank Street Coll.

Watcha think?

3.7 GPA Swarthmore
3.7 BCPM
41S
Graduated in 3 Years
1 Year Americorps (CityYear)
2 Years Teach for America
5 Years founding teacher at successful/award-winning public middle school
Advisor/Supervisor for Teach for America corps members, led NYC Science Content Group
Co-taught "Science for Teachers" graduate class
Supervised student teachers from NYU, Bank Street Coll.

Watcha think?

The only thing I see lacking in your application is a strong clinical background. I'd do some clinical volunteering and shadowing. If you want a high tiered reserach school, I'd also consider getting some research done. Might even advise taking a year off and doing those things. But I'd advise you to talk to adcom directors of schools of interest and see their input and if it is in agreement with ours then go ahead and take our advice. If not, then do what they suggest. Good luck.

Hi folks,
I am a reapplicant for 2007. Received a 29 on the MCAT on my third try. My earlier scores were 26 and 24 which clearly kept me out of medical school last year. I would like some comments on my appl. and suggestions as far as any schools that I can add.
I understand that my MCAT and my ECs are fairly weak. I believe that I have a decent GPA although its not from a top UG school.
What schools do you folks recommend applying to? My AMCAS should be verified within a week and I plan on adding a few schools.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=06869

Thanks for all your comments.

Hi,

please offer any comments:

3.85 GPA (3.84 BCPM)
37M MCAT P13, B13, V11
one pub (2nd author)
editor-in-chief of yearbook
various international experiences, including shadowing experiences
reasonable amt of volunteering
web application developer job.

i'm a tx resident, so what are my chances at baylor/southwestern?
but i'd really love to go to columbia/cornell/upenn...

Here is my mdapp:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=5759

I didn't include EC's there to remain anonymous, so here they are:

1 year Research (soon to be publication-2nd author)
1 year volunteer at clinic
1 year volunteer in free clinic in Mexico
Founder and president of 2 student orgs.
3 years Volunteer tutor
3 years Volunteer basketball coach
Honor Student and Regent's Scholar at a UC
Shadowed a couple of surgeons
10 months Mentor for a Bridge program for High school children
Chemistry Teaching Assistant
VP of a student org
Basketball Player on an organized team

I am just worried about my MCAT and the fact that I haven't received any invites yet :scared: Anybody have suggestions for me? THANKS!

Here is my mdapp:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=5759

I didn't include EC's there to remain anonymous, so here they are:

1 year Research (soon to be publication-2nd author)
1 year volunteer at clinic
1 year volunteer in free clinic in Mexico
Founder and president of 2 student orgs.
3 years Volunteer tutor
3 years Volunteer basketball coach
Honor Student and Regent's Scholar at a UC
Shadowed a couple of surgeons
10 months Mentor for a Bridge program for High school children
Chemistry Teaching Assistant
VP of a student org
Basketball Player on an organized team

I am just worried about my MCAT and the fact that I haven't received any invites yet :scared: Anybody have suggestions for me? THANKS!

Goddamn! Check out that GPA! ECs are great. Your MCAT score is v. good too. Isn't it still pretty early? I don't think you should worry that much; I'm sure the interviews (and acceptances) will come! I guess it's just taking them more time now since I bet they are flooded with apps from all the August MCAT'ers. I'm the one who should worry, lol. I submitted my app to AMCAS on October 14th (wanted to wait after I got my MCAT scores). I have a loooooong way to go before even getting verified. You're in great shape; don't worry! :luck:

Hi,

please offer any comments:

3.85 GPA (3.84 BCPM)
37M MCAT P13, B13, V11
one pub (2nd author)
editor-in-chief of yearbook
various international experiences, including shadowing experiences
reasonable amt of volunteering
web application developer job.

i'm a tx resident, so what are my chances at baylor/southwestern?
but i'd really love to go to columbia/cornell/upenn...
You've got a decent shot at any of those I think.

:luck: to you! :)

so i still have another year till i plan on starting to apply, and here are the things that i have done and will have done by the time i apply. i'm really aiming towards top-tier schools (like UCSF, columbia, UCLA, etc...) but am not sure of my chances. what are my chances with these stats and any suggestions on other things i should do in the next year?

Ethnicity: East Asian-American
Home State: CA

Undergraduate Institution: Ohio State University
Area of Study: Computer Science Engineering

Application Year: 2008
MCAT Score: VR 13, PS 14, BS 10, Q
BCPM GPA: ~3.60
Overall GPA: ~3.70

Brief Profile:
- 2 summers volunteering as 'music therapist' in palliative care department at Cleveland Clinic
- 1 year of experience working as research assistant in CALGB Leukemia Tissue Bank
- 2 years working on leadership team for christian organization on campus
- 2 years involvement in ECE Applied Software Engineering - a group that designs and implements software for critical uses(like monitoring patient data)
- 1 month in summer volunteering at hospice in Taiwan
- 1 Summer spent volunteering for mobile medical unit that travels the coast of California serving under-priveleged communities
- 6 months spent doing research on spinal injuries caused by crash accidents

i'm a 39/3.5, also from an ivy
amd my extracarrics are good but not stellar, like yurs
i got reject from chicago and mayo, but got an invite from case

take that as you will

I'm a little bit more curious how you have been rejected from mayo so quickly just based on your GPA and MCAT score, i have a similar gpa, but much lower mcat score, do you think your essays could be part of this? i really find it strange that you have such a high mcat and schools are rejecting you before even interviewing you...i mean yes they are good schools, but still, you have a 39, what could be the reason?

Looking at Mayo's averages, the gpa average is something like a 3.85 and the MCAT is only a 33 (i think). So this is pretty much the opposite of his scores... I have read other threads that ask about what schools favor a high gpa versus a high MCAT, and thinking about it now, this might be an obvious one. The reasons behind this decision however, will most likely never be trully known... I would purport to say that they value people who spend a long four years struggling to make exceptional grades over someone who is great at taking tests. Of course I realize some schools grading systems can be a lot more generous than others *cough* and this can lead to people getting grades that do not necessarily reflect their unique level of perseverence in college... but oh well, such is life. He should get into a pretty good school with those numbers, just maybe not Mayo (which, thanks to its tiny class size, seems to have a rather mystical application process)

good to luck to you and every one with this long long process ;)

Thanks for recent responses guys. I am a white male from Mississippi who goes to school at Wheaton College. ECs include two years of research in developmental biology, president of pre-med society, clinical experience with a doctor who did surgery on me when I was young, volunteerism through a student run volunteering network at Wheaton, Chem tutoring at Wheaton, TAing, jobs, a couple of research awards, presentations at conferences, other memberships, studying abroad at Oxford next semester; above average from what I understand but not great. All is good except that MCAT score, which is VERY important, but I feel as if I get an interview I might just put myself in a position for acceptance. Who knows? Do you guys think that Pritzker/NWstern/Baylor/Vandy, the more top of the line schools I mentioned, would give me an interview? That is all I can hope for at this point. Thanks again for the responses y'all.

I have a 31S and 3.7 GPA and so far: rejected at Pritzker, interviews at Northwestern, Vandy, Mizzou and Case (I didnt apply to baylor). Hope that helps.

Hey guys.

I took the August 2006 MCAT (going into my junior year) and managed: 10(VR) 9(PS) 9(BS) = 28O

I've got a 3.7 overall GPA right now, and some minor experience in a hospital (in an administrative sense, nothing clinical unfortunately) and several years of experience in some other hobbies. I've got a couple things lined up for this upcoming semester and summer as far as ECs are concerned (research this summer, some presentations at a conference this semester), but my primary concern is my MCAT score. Good, bad, or is it really weighed in relation to how strong the rest of my application is?

Though I haven't done super-specific research on med schools yet (I took the MCAT early so I could take my time on all this decision making), I'm definitely going to apply to WVU as a safety school, but as far as reach schools are concerned, I just don't have much of a orientation as to where I stand. Is some place like Wake Forest out of my league? Boston University? *shrug* I dunno.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Hello, my son goes to a school (Reed College) with a school average GPA of 2.9. Many years no one in the graduating class has a 4.0, and within the school community, a GPA of 3.3 is considered very, very good- is this going to hurt his chances of being accepted to a top medical school, or even any medical school? He will have high MCATs and enough research and clinical experience, but he probably can't guarantee a GPA of higher than 3.3 or 3.4 (biochemistry major)... he has wanted to be a neurosurgeon since he was 5, and thinks going to a top medical school is pretty crucial to that goal. Also, any advice on good medical schools for future neurosurgeons? Thank you in advance for being kind to this slightly neurotic mother.

Hello, my son goes to a school (Reed College) with a school average GPA of 2.9. Many years no one in the graduating class has a 4.0, and within the school community, a GPA of 3.3 is considered very, very good- is this going to hurt his chances of being accepted to a top medical school, or even any medical school? He will have high MCATs and enough research and clinical experience, but he probably can't guarantee a GPA of higher than 3.3 or 3.4 (biochemistry major)... he has wanted to be a neurosurgeon since he was 5, and thinks going to a top medical school is pretty crucial to that goal. Also, any advice on good medical schools for future neurosurgeons? Thank you in advance for being kind to this slightly neurotic mother.

It is very important for him to get a high MCAT score. That would show the admissions committees that he really knows his stuff, despite a lower GPA.

It is very important for him to get a high MCAT score. That would show the admissions committees that he really knows his stuff, despite a lower GPA.

Agree. :thumbup: I would also think (hope) that medical schools would know this about Reed, and take that into consideration....I know that's usually how it works in undergrad admissions (as in, you're evaluated based on how well you did in the context of your school). To that end, your son should be able find out about Reed students' success rates in applying to medical school. If Reed writes what's called a committee recommendation letter for its students, it likely contains information about average gpa, etc. and might describe your son in terms of his fellow classmates to give schools a better understanding of this situation. Not all colleges write these letters, but I think the majority does.

I was wondering if any one knew how important writing samples are? I am applying for 2007. I have yet to get an interview and I have been rejected from 4 schools (I have applied to 11). My MCAT is 30K (9P, 10B, 11V) GPA 3.670. Yeah I know, a K is really bad. I justed didn't know much about the prompts givin to me.

I think that my ECs are pretty good. I have been pretty involved on campus and have been working as an RA for 2 years. Recently over the summer shadowed a doctor. This semester I was finally able to get some research experience.

Thank you all for your help!

Merry Christmas!

Wow, you guys have amazing stats! I just finished my 1st sem. as a junior. i have a 3.76 and i got a 26O (8P, 8V, 10B)on the MCAT. I've been in a volunteer organization called NAPS for 2+ years and i've spent a 1 1/2 months in India doin volunteer work. I'm a lab instructor, a tutor, and treasurer of a bio-medical association as well as PR of Ecology club. I'm a freshmen mentor for the freshmen dorm at my school as well. I have research experience and at least 24 hours of shadowing and over 2500 hrs of volunteering. I'm thinking about taking the MCAT again...should I?

Schools I'm thinking about are
Loma Linda University
University of Michigan (I'm a Michigan resident)
Michigan State
Meharry
University of Cincinatti
Howard
Loyola

Any suggestions about schools or making my stats better?

Wow, you guys have amazing stats! I just finished my 1st sem. as a junior. i have a 3.76 and i got a 26O (8P, 8V, 10B)on the MCAT. I've been in a volunteer organization called NAPS for 2+ years and i've spent a 1 1/2 months in India doin volunteer work. I'm a lab instructor, a tutor, and treasurer of a bio-medical association as well as PR of Ecology club. I'm a freshmen mentor for the freshmen dorm at my school as well. I have research experience and at least 24 hours of shadowing and over 2500 hrs of volunteering. I'm thinking about taking the MCAT again...should I?

Loma Linda University
Michigan State
Meharry
University of Cincinatti
Howard
Loyola

Your stats look really good. Great ECs! I would suggest taking the MCAT again to make your app more competitive. Overall though your app looks great

Loma Linda University
Michigan State
Meharry
University of Cincinatti
Howard
Loyola

Yeah, I would just take the MCAT again - you look strong everywhere else.

hi guys, i'm REAAAAALLLLY freaking out here

i'm currently a sophomore with junior status, so i have one year to fix this..but i have:

overall GPA: 3.584
science gpa: 3.33

but i still have ochem 2, ochem lab, microbio, cell bio, physics 2, and 4 more biologies to finish before i graduate... i plan on taking my mcat next summer

i have a couple leadership positions, have done some volunteer work in the past, plan on doing some more next summer as well as shadowing, and also did clinical rotations in high school

do i even stand a chance in american medical schools?
or any texas schools? or should i just go for D.O.?

Status
Not open for further replies.