The Official 06/16/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mbeas

Hi I'm Kate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to go with the May 26 date, but I could use a little more time. I started content review a few weeks ago, and I'm going to take a "diagnostic" in a few weeks to see where I stand.

So, who's with me?

Members don't see this ad.

2pm test

Verbal 11, phys 13, bio 13, writing Q---37Q!!!!!

AAMC practice test history in order taken:

AAMC 3- 28
AAMC 4- 31
AAMC 7- 31
AAMC 5- 32
AAMC 8- 37
AAMC 9- 36
AAMC 11-35
Actual MCAT - 37Q

Yes, I am freaking ecstatic about the score. I'm not going to look up all of my individual practice test breakdowns, but my highest PS was 13, BS 13, and VR was 12. So, I couldn't have hoped for better.

8am test - (PS: 11 / VR: 11 / BS: 14 - 36S)

I am SO happy I will not have to retake. And I agree with the comment on verbal, I never got below a 12 on the AAMC practice tests. But I'm thrilled with how the overall test worked out. Here's my practice score info from both TBR and AAMC in case it helps anyone.

Practice Test Scores - AAMC (in the order they were taken...scores listed as PS/VR/BS)
AAMC 3: 11/12/10 - 33
AAMC 4: 11/13/11 - 35
AAMC 5: 13/12/13 - 38
AAMC 7: 12/13/13 - 38
AAMC 11: 11/12/12 - 35
AAMC 8: 12/12/12 - 36
AAMC 9 - 12/13/14 - 39
AAMC 10: 12/12/15 - 39

Avg AAMC: 36.6

Practice Test Scores - TBR (PS/VR/BS)
TBR 1: 12/13/11 - 36
TBR 2 - 12/12/10 - 34
TBR 3 - 11/11/13 - 35
TBR 4 - 12/11/10 - 33
TBR 5 - 12/9/12 - 33
TBR 6 - 11/12/13 - 36
TBR 7 - 11/12/13 - 36

Avg TBR: 34.7

Members don't see this ad :)
2pm test

Verbal 11, phys 13, bio 13, writing Q---37Q!!!!!

AAMC practice test history in order taken:

AAMC 3- 28
AAMC 4- 31
AAMC 7- 31
AAMC 5- 32
AAMC 8- 37
AAMC 9- 36
AAMC 11-35
Actual MCAT - 37Q

Yes, I am freaking ecstatic about the score. I'm not going to look up all of my individual practice test breakdowns, but my highest PS was 13, BS 13, and VR was 12. So, I couldn't have hoped for better.

Did you do something differently after AAMC 5? :confused:

Great job, btw.

Yeah if you scored 12 and 12 the likelihood of you getting a 5 on BS is like 0. Get it rescored... that doesn't seem right, does it? Unless you passed out, hid your head on the keyboard, and went into a coma and forgot that 70 minutes? I just don't see it happening.

Yeah, but also, wouldn't it be the testing center's error and not the AAMC's? I think the chances of the AAMC actually giving me a different score are slim to none, and if it was an error at Prometric, then the AAMC might have no way of knowing about it, right?

Obviously it's possible that I missed half of the BS questions, but considering I never got below 11 on the practice tests, unlikely. I also should have done worse than 12 on PS and VR...

Took the 2pm administration, felt like hell afterwards- esp the bio section was killer. Even verbal felt like it was ridiculous.

aamc practice test avg: 35
aamc practice test range: 28-38
actual exam: 35R
VR 13
PS: 10
BS: 12

SOOO HAPPY!! feels miraculous considering the fact that I was guessing on MULTIPLE passages.

I took my first exam in 08/2010 and got a 10 BS, 9 PS, 7 VR, and R W (26R). So, I retook the test on 6/16/2011 at 2 PM. I actually scheduled differently because I had non-standard test conditions so it's possible they gave me a test differently than everyone but from the descriptions of 8 am vs. 2 pm tests it seems like I got the 2 pm test. I received a 9 BS, 9 PS, 8 VR, and S W (26S :confused:). I thought BS was tough so I expected to go down and I am so happy my VR went up even just one point because acceptance rates with students with a 7 vs. 8 VR drops dramatically. But overall because of the 1 point drop in BS :)() and 1 increase in VR :)):)) my overall didn't change (unless you count W (getting an S still feels good :D)). Anyone have any advice on whether I should retake again this summer to use in my applications (I honestly did not study well and know if I could again my score would reflect it)? Can I get in anywhere? Does the no change in total score hurt me really bad? Does that increase in verbal help at all? Thanks.

37R BIOTCHES!!!!!

I don't usually go all caps like this, but I'm pretty thrilled right now.

12 BS, 12 VR, 13 PS

:soexcited:

2pm test.

I'm a little confused about why "95.5-98.2" percentile constitutes a 12 on VR and "88.8 - 95.2" constitutes a 12 on PS. Maybe it has to do with the scaling being based on previous administration of the material?

It seems like a number of people got their verbal scaled score lower than expected somehow (while mine is no biggie, it's still puzzling) and I have a lot of sympathy for those of you who got really screwed over by it. Good luck getting that re-score, duke2121. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Oh, and: my practice tests were all between 36 and 40 (mostly 36-37s) and my estimate of performance was a 35 or 36. It's upthread somewhere amid a collection of rambles about how this is gonna be the solidest thing in my rather all-over-the-place app, I'm too lazy to dig it up at the moment.

Last edited:
I took my first exam in 08/2010 and got a 10 BS, 9 PS, 7 VR, and R W (26R). So, I retook the test on 6/16/2011 at 2 PM. I actually scheduled differently because I had non-standard test conditions so it's possible they gave me a test differently than everyone but from the descriptions of 8 am vs. 2 pm tests it seems like I got the 2 pm test. I received a 9 BS, 9 PS, 8 VR, and S W (26S :confused:). I thought BS was tough so I expected to go down and I am so happy my VR went up even just one point because acceptance rates with students with a 7 vs. 8 VR drops dramatically. But overall because of the 1 point drop in BS :)() and 1 increase in VR :)):)) my overall didn't change (unless you count W (getting an S still feels good :D)). Anyone have any advice on whether I should retake again this summer to use in my applications (I honestly did not study well and know if I could again my score would reflect it)? Can I get in anywhere? Does the no change in total score hurt me really bad? Does that increase in verbal help at all? Thanks.

If you're open to DO, apply there.

Definitely retake if you want MD.

Something happened WTF! I never got below a 8 on any verbal practice test. Was averaging about 8-11. Guess what I got on the real deal, a 3!. Yep you read that right. Should I have it re-scored? I swear I could randomly guess on a verbal test and get higher than that. Advice? Oh get this I got a Q on writing.

I got a 7 in verbal and I never scored below a 10 on all my practice exams and EK 1001

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually felt good about verbal and I scored lower than in any practice test. I really hope there is some sort of error because I've just registered to take this test for the 3rd time.

And that's just for the multiple choice sections right? Very lame of the AAMC MCAT people.

Yes. It seems like several people have had an issue with verbal. I know the chances are slim, but I think for peace of mind, I'm going to have my test rescored. I'm so confused, I scored a 9 the first time and a 7 the second time. I went up from an 8 to 12 in PS, and 7 to 10 in BS. SMH.

11-4-12 PS-VR-BS, WS: P

I knew I did worse than average in VR (All AAMC practices fell within 8-10), but this was just a shot to the heart. Anyone else with a far below expected VR? I took it in Lansing, MI. (2PM)
Sigh, regardless of if it was an error or not I have to spend another month studying...

Damn, great score. Seems like everyone in 8 am did pretty well on PS considering how hard everyone said it was...

It stands to reason given that these are scaled (many people seem to have done better than they thought on biological sciences in the 2pm administration, too.) The curve is just lower than for an "easier" section.

Yes. It seems like several people have had an issue with verbal. I know the chances are slim, but I think for peace of mind, I'm going to have my test rescored. I'm so confused, I scored a 9 the first time and a 7 the second time. I went up from an 8 to 12 in PS, and 7 to 10 in BS. SMH.

I'm also going to have my MC rescored

So far, I've seen a 3, 5 and 4 on VR from those who claim to have gotten at least twice that on their practices.

Something's not right with the VR scores - rescore if your VR is ridiculously low.

Did you do something differently after AAMC 5? :confused:

Great job, btw.

Thanks! And no, I didn't really do anything different I just kept studying. I realize the jump from a 32 to a 37 seems crazy (especially since it was within about two weeks) but it was actually due to my fluctuating verbal score. My bio and phys scores continuously got better, while my verbal score fluctuated from 8-12 which kind of makes the total scores look odd.

Congrats to everyone!

2pm test...

12/7/10 = 29N

I'm scheduled for July 28th. I presume I should retake? I should have broken 30! Man...

So far, I've seen a 3, 5 and 4 on VR from those who claim to have gotten at least twice that on their practices. Something's not right with the VR scores - rescore if your VR is ridiculously low.

For those of you who were following the other MCAT threads, have you ever seen such a problem with any of the sections? Because if not, there must be something we can do about it.

I am a 5/21 tester and i also got a unusually low verbal mcat score....i ended up with a 6 and i usually was getting 10 to 12...i was too worried to ask for a rescore but now i am seeing a pattern with you guys...i'm beginning to wonder if there is any problem with prometric?

I am a 5/21 tester and i also got a unusually low verbal mcat score....i ended up with a 6 and i usually was getting 10 to 12...i was too worried to ask for a rescore but now i am seeing a pattern with you guys...i'm beginning to wonder if there is any problem with prometric?

Doesn't matter, you only have 30 days for requesting a rescore.

woooo 5 point improvement from my previous exam (each section improved except for writing but its hard to improve from an "S"):clap:

I was an 8amer.

Bah...screw it. I am retaking this beast next week. I honestly know I can do better. Good luck to everyone with applications.

Hello hello.

Been lurking on this thread for ages now, first post. I was an 8 AM'er.

VR, PS (that f'ing PS section), WS, BS, Comp.

12, 10, Q, 11, 33Q.
Fairly pleased, this was my first time taking it. I'm applying this cycle though, opinions whether I should retake? (Might it help if I said I'm shooting for UMass Med and others with a DO as my safety?) 3.44 sci GPA, 3.52 overall.

Holy balls today was awful. Cheers to everybody else, seems like most people rocked this one :D

11, 11, 10. = 32R. I just posted in the retake thread, I need advice! I ranged 33-37 on kaplan tests and 33-36 on AAMC tests. The 2pm test was just insane, especially bio. My application is weak because i have NO research and my only clinical experience is volunteering at Bellevue hospital 25 hours a week for a month. Should i retake in august or wait and apply next year? How do I get research positions?

GPA 3.7, MCAT 25M. Shoot me. Should I even bother applying or should I drink myself to sleep? I guess I got what I deserved. I only studied for the exam for 2 weeks.

30S: 2 PM

10P/9V/11B

Just around my AAMC averages...not happy not sad, glad i didnt bomb (was worried about V) and glad I (Barely) reached the magic 30

AAMC8: 28
AAMC10:31
AAMC11: 32

I do like the writing sample score..... my gpa was borderline to start, but i would hate to have to retake unless i had to....

I have 3.6 cum/3.45 sci gpa from an ivy......should i still apply this cycle?
edit: after thought I realized I dont want to restudy for this thing unless I have to, gonna apply and give it my best shot! at least ill know what to do if i dont get in

oh ya post-test immediate impressions

phys:just like AAMC11, knew right after that I had made some stupid mistakes. PS was never my strong point so I did just as Ive done in the past
Verbal: I thought it was hard, answers were super ambig. and I had to do the last paragraph in under 2-3 mins
Bio: Balanced gimmies with crazy paragraphs (prob ended up being experimental..). Orgo was OK, but def had to think on this section, a lil tougher then AAMC11

best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
GPA 3.7, MCAT 25M. Shoot me. Should I even bother applying or should I drink myself to sleep? I guess I got what I deserved. I only studied for the exam for 2 weeks.

with a gpa like that you definitely should retake! and maybe spend more than 2 weeks :) best of luck to you!

Edit: what i mean is you have a great gpa and definitely should not rule out med school.

so ive been lurking around this thread for a while was also a 6' 16er...got scores today (lower 20's...gahh) but retaking it again soon...3.8 gpa, URM, pretty good college...wat do yall think?

I did poorly on this mcat. I took the 8am. The PS just blew my mind. I got really frazzled and choked. My score is VS-10, BS-8, PS-5 :(

I NEED opinions. Should I reschedule for Aug. 23 or Sept 2?
Will I really be at an extreme disadvantage to test in Sept?

Help please! I know I can do better.

7PS/10VR/10BS RW 27R for 8am test

I knew that PS was killer, but I was hoping it wasn't as bad as I thought was. Turned out it was. Going to retake even though I'm non-trad because I have such a hang up on my GPA.

Stupid PS, stupid, stupid, stupid PS

See my previous post, I did the exact same thing as you last year. I have a 3.85 GPA and I understudied for the MCAT and got a 25M. I took the time to really prepare this time and got a 34Q. Retake, but make the test your b**** this time!