The minimum step1 scores listed on ERAS- do they really filter by them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, it says UC Davis filters by step1 scores >220.
And few others have a minimum listed.
Anyone know if the info is strict/accurate?

And I meant FREIDA, not ERAS

Members don't see this ad.

The data for FREIDA comes directly from the program directors, so the information should be pretty good. There is a "last updated" date at the top of each listing so you can see how old the information is.

As for how strict the programs are in adhering to the filter, it will be program-dependent. As one example, aProgDirector does the following for an IM program:

About filters, they are very versatile and flexible. For step scores, I can filter for scores above or below a certain cutoff, or whether a score exists at all. I can choose what type of school, country (for international schools), year of graduation, number of research experiences, etc. ERAS does come with some built in filters, but those are very basic -- all US grads, or everyone selected for an interview, etc. Each program needs to build a filter to find what it wants. So, for example, my filter for "Applicant ready to review" is Application + Transcript + >= 3 LOR's + PS + (USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Level 1) + MSPE. My IMG filter adds Step 2 CK.

How do I review applications? There's no way I can read all applications -- I get >2000 for only 200 or so interviews. Every program will do things differently. I start by looking to see if the applicant has ever worked / studied at my institution -- if so, I at least review their application briefly. After that, I pull out all of the applications that have USMLE scores well below our target -- they get rejected without further review. We state a USMLE minimum on our website. I then look at all applications with prior GME training at least briefly (because their YOG may be a bit in the past), and then filter out anyone whose YOG is too far in the past (also on our website). That narrows the pool, and then we start reviewing applications. This is a single example -- I'm sure each program is different.

As he says, programs get way too many applications to actually review them all. Whether a specific program might set their filter at their minimum vs 5-10 points lower is anyone's guess. Keep in mind that if you choose to apply with a score that is below the stated cutoff that you really need to have something else that is stellar that makes your app stand out.

All I know is I got less than 220 on Step 1, and I interviewed at UC Davis.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed at more than a couple places that had a minimum score listed that was higher than my score. I'm sure some programs are very strict, but definitely all aren't. Maybe it hurts you come ranking time. /shrug

In peds, you should apply wherever you want to go - just make sure to have enough programs in your range as well. I am ecstatic at my match. I wouldn't have applied to the program I ended up matching at if I had only applied to places other people thought I was competitive.

I can guarantee that UC Davis does not filter at 220, though they may do so initially. I got invited for an interview in December (unsolicited), and my step 1 score was <220.