PICU taken over by midlevels?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MedicineZ0Z

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

What exactly is the point of PICU (or even NICU) having residents in many hospitals nowadays? Most of the work is done by midlevels. The fellows have some general decision making and attending does cursory supervision. But countless times I've seen and read that residents do not even do procedures in the ICUs but midlevels do (shocking to me since I'm family medicine and have done countless lines/taps in a very opposed teaching hospital).
What exactly is the logic here? Why not just make peds residency 1 year then go into subspecialty training since you can't even do anything nowadays without that.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s very clear you have an axe to grind against mid levels, but there really is no need to go into another specialty’s forum and attack our training. I assure you general pediatricians can do quite a bit.

The thread you linked to is not representative of all PICU resident experiences, but even if it was there is plenty to learn which is the main point. You frankly have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to PICU fellow training or attending oversight.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

What exactly is the point of PICU (or even NICU) having residents in many hospitals nowadays? Most of the work is done by midlevels. The fellows have some general decision making and attending does cursory supervision. But countless times I've seen and read that residents do not even do procedures in the ICUs but midlevels do (shocking to me since I'm family medicine and have done countless lines/taps in a very opposed teaching hospital).
What exactly is the logic here? Why not just make peds residency 1 year then go into subspecialty training since you can't even do anything nowadays without that.

I’m usually neutral about your posts but the 1 year then subspecialty training is bs. General pediatrics can and do manage quite a bit out in the real world. There are plenty of people that say FM is only suited for outpatient but there are FM that are hospitalist, ER, etc. Just because you hear/see these anecdotes doesn’t mean it’s the rule.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.