The lowest GPA accepted with OAT SCORE accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plshelpme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

ANyone knows that lowest GPA (science GPA) and Lowest OAT score accepted to any school in 2009. I took my OAT, and Applying next year, I was wondering if I should retake OAT or not, MY GPA IS really low near 2.5, and I dont see it going up, I dont wanna go to PR, any other place with 290 OAT:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

ANyone knows that lowest GPA (science GPA) and Lowest OAT score accepted to any school in 2009. I took my OAT, and Applying next year, I was wondering if I should retake OAT or not, MY GPA IS really low near 2.5, and I dont see it going up, I dont wanna go to PR, any other place with 290 OAT:oops::oops::oops::oops:

You will need an EXCELLENT OAT score to offset that GPA; in the area of 400TS/400AA and that still won't guarantee anything. You will NEED to improve your GPA and up your OAT score in order to be a competitive candidate for optometry schools.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but are there extenuating circumstances to explain your low GPA? If not, how will you handle the 20+ credit hours of optometry school curriculum?

Is there a reason this isn't in the PRE-Optometry forum?

Also, no one with a 2.5 GPA should be getting into any optometry school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you do not want to, I think you should take more classes and TRY to raise the GPA.

290 OAT score is pretty low. With your GPA, you should try to get over 360 at least.

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that with a 2.5 GPA and a 290 OAT, you will not be getting in anywhere. Bottom line. The lowest GPA I've seen on here that was accepted was a 2.8 or 2.9.

Honestly, with that low of GPA you should not be an OD or any other end level medical clinician. Though optometry is mostly "bloodless" you can seriously harm someone if you aren't on top of it. If you are capable of much more you need to prove it by increasing your GPA in higher level science classes.

when berkeley came to our school to talk about their OD program, they said you need a 3.0 gpa min. If you have slightly below that 2.9ish, they look at your OAT scores, specifically the subjects you got bad grades in. If your OAT score is not high, they will not think that you will be able to excel since those classes are classes you need to master to better understand the subjects in Optometry.

They do take into account you ECAs or something significant that happened in your life that could explain why your grades were not as great. They also take into account improvement in grades. Usually though, if you are improving, your gpa should be within the 3.0 range. However, not doing well on the OATs and having poor grades, regardless of your ECAs etc. does not show you have a good grasp on the material or can handle the course load of the optometry program.

Also, they did mention that b/c Berkeley optometry is within a University (not a private opto school), they have to petition to the graduate program to have you admitted into their program despite you below 3.0 gpa which is required to enter a graduate program. Therefore, they need to find a good enough reason to spend their time working to petition someone. Therefore, you need to supply them with a good enough reason.

Like someone mentioned, the lowest i've heard of was a 2.8 or a 2.9, but usually those people have had higher OATs and/or something that explained poor grades at a certain point in their undergrad

Hey,

You can only be as selective as your applicant pool will allow.

This is how admissions works, folks.

Last edited:
There's now 2 pharm schools in Ontario

Last edited:
duplicate post

Last edited:
As someone else asked, is there a reason for such a low G.P.A.? I don't mean to be facetious, but perhaps your low grades all are bulked together — maybe something was happening in your life at that time. Consider re-taking classes in which you did very poorly; many schools allow you to "replace" grades, which should greatly improve your G.P.A. As for the 290 O.A.T. score, is 290 official? If so, and there were no "extenuating circumstances" that led to your G.P.A., then I think it's unlikely you'll be accepted by any school of optometry (which is how it ought to be). If there's more to the story, things may be (may be) different.

The most striking thing about this post is not that the OP thinks those marks might be acceptable (which they BETTER not be), but that there is an obvious reluctance to do anything about it.

It's very simple. Either do what it takes to make yourself a competitive candidate or move on. If you feel like those scores don't represent you, then stop being lazy and show some pride in yourself and try again. Otherwise quit now before you waste too much time.

Members don't see this ad :)
MY GPA IS really low near 2.5, and I dont see it going up

I took "don't see it going up" as she was about to graduate and wanted to apply c/o '14.

If you apply with those stats, waste of money/time. Furthermore you will NOT succeed in optometry school if those are a reflection of your capabilities. S*** happens: I/nor other posters know if you had extenuating circumstances during undergrad and a off OAT day. If that's the case redo the OAT and take some upper level division classes to get your GPA up and prove you can handle the load; maybe even apply in '11 to get a solid GPA. HOWEVER, If not the case then I agree with the other posters that you should find a new calling.

Hey,

It seems that you think optometry school is an easy school to get in, it is abvious with these low GPA and OAT scores no school will accepte you, if you can not handle the undergraduate classes how come you will handle the challanges classes in optometry, I think the health field in general does not fit you, unless you work so hard to improve your scores.
icon10.gif
I am sorry I do not mean to be harsh, but if you really want to be accepted in optometry college, you must improve your GPA, take extra classes, work hard, extra curriculum activities, and shadowing with OD's, and good luck in your future.

Last edited:
None of us has heard from the original poster since the original post. To him or her: are you still interested in advice regarding this?

NOw here is the DEAL,

lets change the numbers a bit,well still not pretty but
Well I worked when I was an undergraduate.

GPA raised to 2.85 (now) becoming 3.0 by the end of the semester + 330 as the Science Average on OAT. (true score, I still dont want to go to PR) that's not Science GPA though, Science GPA is below 2.7

Any hope??? Will I be accepted??? or should I change my field??

sorry for a small lie I was trying to see how low the GPA went.
and another info, I have taken almost all BIO classes a University can offer, I am serious!!!

NOw here is the DEAL,

lets change the numbers a bit,well still not pretty but
Well I worked when I was an undergraduate.

GPA raised to 2.85 (now) becoming 3.0 by the end of the semester + 330 as the Science Average on OAT. (true score, I still dont want to go to PR) that's not Science GPA though, Science GPA is below 2.7

Any hope??? Will I be accepted??? or should I change my field??

sorry for a small lie I was trying to see how low the GPA went.
and another info, I have taken almost all BIO classes a University can offer, I am serious!!!

Why would you lie about your GPA?

Even with those grades it's still tough. having a science gpa below 2.7 is not good nor should it be acceptable for optometry school but it is doable. I think PR might be one of your better chances but remember beggars can't be choosers.

If your science GPA is below a 2.7 - what makes you feel as though you'll be successful in optometry school which is VERY science-intensive? Not trying to be smart, just want to know.

Why would you lie about your GPA?

Even with those grades it's still tough. having a science gpa below 2.7 is not good nor should it be acceptable for optometry school but it is doable. I think PR might be one of your better chances but remember beggars can't be choosers.

That's gotta be the first time in history that someone lied to make their GPA LOWER than what it truly was. Wow.:confused:

well I mean there was a student below 2.8 at ICO last year, Average GPA for PR is 2.8,

and my pre-course GPA for the program is around 3.3 I mean basic science courses, If there are students from other majors than science how would any one know they can handle Intensive science courses, I mean atleast I have taken all the science classes and first year I am sure will be a repetition.

yaa I dont know y I lied about the GPA,

well I mean there was a student below 2.8 at ICO last year, Average GPA for PR is 2.8,

and my pre-course GPA for the program is around 3.3 I mean basic science courses, If there are students from other majors than science how would any one know they can handle Intensive science courses, I mean atleast I have taken all the science classes and first year I am sure will be a repetition.

yaa I dont know y I lied about the GPA,

Just because you TOOK "all the science courses a University can offer" (which, by the way, I personally don't believe, but that's okay) doesn't mean you're more qualified than someone who isn't a science major. You took the courses, failed them, then did mediocre the second time around. Someone else who isn't a science major may not know how they'll do with the heavy science courseload when they get to optometry school, but they still had to take all the pre-reqs and do well enough in them.

It doesn't matter why you lied about your GPA (or whether you did at all). You came to this forum to get advice, and when you didn't like the advice you got, you became defensive. The people here are not on admissions committees and those who responded to you were just trying to give you their honest opinions to save YOU time and the hardship of getting rejected. No, you don't have to listen to a word anyone tells you, but don't ask for advice if you're not prepared to hear it.

LOL. Is this a joke?

I'd reply to your inquiry, but you might just be lying again... What the hell?

Click reply by accident, my bad.

Last edited:
to all those people talking about this person having that low of a gpa that they shouldnt even consider going to grad school...thats not right. I believe a gpa does not accurately represent your capability because there are always those "cheaters" in your classes that cause the professor to curve in such a way that they get A's and the people who are trying hard and do deserve A's get the lower grades. Ive had many classes where the top 2-3 students get an A and the rest of the 200 something students start with B's and go down from there. I think grading is VERY unfair in many universities and this may be the case with this person. Just because someone has a low GPA it does not mean they are stupid in any way and "are not capable" of going into grad school as you say "they might screw up" i think people should think before they say things like that...its very frustrating to have people judge other people by GPA and I hate how all schools go by that

I also agree with the person saying there might have been some kind of event that occurred in this person's life that cause grades to drop...

NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER! and think before you speak

if you have the passion for something, you can get it done

Reactions: 1 user
to all those people talking about this person having that low of a gpa that they shouldnt even consider going to grad school...thats not right. I believe a gpa does not accurately represent your capability because there are always those "cheaters" in your classes that cause the professor to curve in such a way that they get A's and the people who are trying hard and do deserve A's get the lower grades. Ive had many classes where the top 2-3 students get an A and the rest of the 200 something students start with B's and go down from there. I think grading is VERY unfair in many universitiese other people by GPA and I hate how all schools go by that

I also agree with the person saying there might have been some kind of event that occurred in this person's life that cause grades to drop...

Oh, please, come on. Anyone can have any story, fine, and any story might turn out to be a good one, but this whole idea that "grades don't matter" is utter nonsense. No, grades don't indicate what kind of "person" you are, but if you've gotten "C"s or "D"s in almost all your classes, it's doubtful you've been invariably victimized by "unfair policies and practices" and probable you're just not a very hard-working, interested, or intelligent student (that is, any one of these, or some combination). Is a college of optometry supposed to assume you performed terribly in your under-graduate work, but will somehow shine at their institution? If all you got were "C-"s in your science classes, and there wasn't something "going on" in your life at the time, why in hell should they accept you? Based on what? If, since then, you haven't appeared even to "shape up," what shall they go on: your winning smile and congenial charm? The fact is, institutions must go largely by numbers, and numbers, in this scenario, comprise G.P.A.s and O.A.T. scores.

It's over-kill, too, the way this statement, "You can achieve any passion you have!" is thrown around. NONSENSE. Not everyone is capable of everything. There's middle ground between having no confidence in yourself so trying your hand at nothing, and "really, really" wanting to do something, trying to do it very hard for a long time, failing, going about it in different ways, failing, and never accepting you're incapable of it. That's not "perseverance"; it's hard-headed stupidity. Try. Try hard; try for some amount of time. If you can't do it, accept the fact, and move on with your life (which, per se, can be a hell of a challenge).

I believe a gpa does not accurately represent your capability

I wanted to be a pro-football player for the longest time, unfortunately I'm 5'10 and 175lbs, I think it's wrong that the NFL didn't draft be because my stats don't accurately represent my awesome talents. :rolleyes:

As for the only a few people get A's comment, thats a bell curve and thats life. The End. Nothing you can do to change it. A science GPA that low is a trend not an anomaly... a science gpa that low doesn't have high hopes for graduate level coursework.

I wanted to be a pro-football player for the longest time, unfortunately I'm 5'10 and 175lbs, I think it's wrong that the NFL didn't draft be because my stats don't accurately represent my awesome talents. :rolleyes:

As for the only a few people get A's comment, thats a bell curve and thats life. The End. Nothing you can do to change it. A science GPA that low is a trend not an anomaly... a science gpa that low doesn't have high hopes for graduate level coursework.

Yeah totally unfair! I wanted to be a runway model but I'm only 5'2! We should PROTEST!! +pity+

I just wanted to say something about the "few cheaters" comment. Honestly, I don't know what institution you go to, but there is such a thing as an honor code. I'm sure that it still happens at every school to some extent, but I've definitely never seen it first hand in any of my science courses. It is absolutely insulting for you to assume that just because someone mastered material that you don't understand that they must have CHEATED. Maybe they're smarter than you. Maybe they studied harder. Maybe YOU should have studied harder. Just because it may not be possible for EVERYBODY to get an A in every course, don't assume that those who do get the As had them handed on a silver platter.

And the thing is, it would be one thing if you were talking about a couple grades that you felt were unfair because of xyz, but when you're saying that every single course you've taken misrepresents your abilities... well I'm sorry but that's bull. I'm not saying I agree with the US 4.0 grading system (it should be percentages... the canucks got it right), or that GPA=IQ, but if you put a decent amount of effort in, your GPA should be a rough representation of your efforts AND abilities.

Passion will only get you so far. Some degree of natural ability is a necessity in most aspects of life.

Hey,

Hell...with all the new schools this is probably competitive :scared:

yeah totally unfair! I wanted to be a runway model but i'm only 5'2! We should protest!! +pity+

i just wanted to say something about the "few cheaters" comment. Honestly, i don't know what institution you go to, but there is such a thing as an honor code. I'm sure that it still happens at every school to some extent, but i've definitely never seen it first hand in any of my science courses. It is absolutely insulting for you to assume that just because someone mastered material that you don't understand that they must have cheated. Maybe they're smarter than you. Maybe they studied harder. Maybe you should have studied harder. Just because it may not be possible for everybody to get an a in every course, don't assume that those who do get the as had them handed on a silver platter.

And the thing is, it would be one thing if you were talking about a couple grades that you felt were unfair because of xyz, but when you're saying that every single course you've taken misrepresents your abilities... Well i'm sorry but that's bull. I'm not saying i agree with the us 4.0 grading system (it should be percentages... The canucks got it right), or that gpa=iq, but if you put a decent amount of effort in, your gpa should be a rough representation of your efforts and abilities.

Passion will only get you so far. Some degree of natural ability is a necessity in most aspects of life.

i totally agree with you on this!!!

to all those people talking about this person having that low of a gpa that they shouldnt even consider going to grad school...thats not right. I believe a gpa does not accurately represent your capability because there are always those "cheaters" in your classes that cause the professor to curve in such a way that they get A's and the people who are trying hard and do deserve A's get the lower grades. Ive had many classes where the top 2-3 students get an A and the rest of the 200 something students start with B's and go down from there. I think grading is VERY unfair in many universities and this may be the case with this person. Just because someone has a low GPA it does not mean they are stupid in any way and "are not capable" of going into grad school as you say "they might screw up" i think people should think before they say things like that...its very frustrating to have people judge other people by GPA and I hate how all schools go by that

This is a good sentiment. Unfortunately, it's not a practical nor reasonable one. Graduate school will be even harder than undergraduate, no matter how competitive or how many cheaters went to your school. That means that if your GPA was low in undergraduate, you'll have a hard time with the science courses in grad. school.

How do you judge passion as a school? Hook up a lie detector test to the applicant while you're conducting the interview? (Because who will waste the money and time on applications and tell them "I don't really want to do this?")

OK, so you had a million unfortunate events that ONLY HAPPENED to you. (Highly unlikely, probably impossible)
Then you need to redeem yourself with a near perfect OAT score.
You have taken all the courses needed to excel on the test, and all it takes is "the passion" to study for it, right?
A 290 is not acceptable if you want to justify the low GPA.

ok guys dont get your panties in a bundle, im giving list of scenarios..im not saying all that stuff happened to me, a few of those things did but im not saying i have a low gpa or a C or D in all my classes....im not saying that at all and im not saying someone with C;s and D's in all their classes should get accepted...im talking to those people who had the nerve to say honestly they shouldnt be applying to graduate school...i know life isnt fair so deal with it, but that doesnt mean you guys go and drill all over me, im supporting the other side of this case as well..not just looking at it from a biased point of view...so thank you very much!

ok guys dont get your panties in a bundle, im giving list of scenarios..im not saying all that stuff happened to me, a few of those things did but im not saying i have a low gpa or a C or D in all my classes....im not saying that at all and im not saying someone with C;s and D's in all their classes should get accepted...im talking to those people who had the nerve to say honestly they shouldnt be applying to graduate school...i know life isnt fair so deal with it, but that doesnt mean you guys go and drill all over me, im supporting the other side of this case as well..not just looking at it from a biased point of view...so thank you very much!

What are you talking about, oh great mediator? You're trying to look at this from an "unbiased point of view"? Most of the people who replied to this topic did so, I think, without much prejudice -- from the objective position of simple numbers (if you're a "D" science student, optometry school likely is not, and should not be, for you). (This thread really isn't about graduate-school, in general, by the way, but if you want to address it, fine: your under-grad. performance in the subject in which you want to achieve mastery ought not to be abysmal.) You've not made any coherent claim other than something to the effect, "grades don't matter" and "if you follow your heart, everything is possible." Those ideas might be more clichéd than biased, but they're hardly helpful to anyone.

Don't be lazy, study harder, that's all there is to it.

Don't be lazy, study harder, that's all there is to it.

thanks Tanishapatel,

and all who supported me, and well the application cycle is almost over, so anyway

Okay the guy who has EYE icon who got into SUNY 2013, dude what is your problem? I was reading your comments on so many posts, Only u have to say is Optometry is hard,impossible to get in etc etc, do you yourself to be the only one graduating in 2013 from an optomtery school, I mean come on dude, just relax, okay now you got in, so be happy, be positive to others, that's all I have to say.

c u next year,

thanks Tanishapatel,

and all who supported me, and well the application cycle is almost over, so anyway

Okay the guy who has EYE icon who got into SUNY 2013, dude what is your problem? I was reading your comments on so many posts, Only u have to say is Optometry is hard,impossible to get in etc etc, do you yourself to be the only one graduating in 2013 from an optomtery school, I mean come on dude, just relax, okay now you got in, so be happy, be positive to others, that's all I have to say.

c u next year,

Dude, I assume you're referring to me, so let me take this opportunity to clear some things up:

• Approximately 50% of total optometry applicants are accepted to at least one school. I DEFINITELY do not think that optometry school is impossible to get into. I honestly believe that both medical and dental schools are more competitive, on average.

• Within health-related fields, there is a fair amount of self-selection going on. It seems that the majority of applicants are interested in entering these professional schools for a few reasons. Usually they like the idea of the profession (optometrist, dentist, physician, etc), but also because they have SOME degree of natural ability in the sciences.

• In order to get into ANY professional program, I personally believe it takes a combination of effort and natural ability. How much of either? I don't know and I don't really care.

For example, my English-major roommate is a brilliant writer, very intelligent, and has great personal skills. She is interested in general science topics, HOWEVER, she does not excel in them. She's barely passed any science course she's taken, even when she puts in a great deal of effort. According to her, her "mind just doesn't work like that". She thinks optometry is a great profession, but doesn't have any desire to go into it (self-selection). If one day she woke up and said "I think I should go to optometry school" and asked for my advice, as awesome of a person that she is, I would tell her that there are OTHER THINGS that she excels at, and that she should focus her efforts on those things.

Does that mean she is stupid? No.
Is that a MEAN thing to tell her? I don't think so-- I'm giving her the advice that I believe will save her time, energy, and money, and hopefully send her off in a direction that makes more sense for her and her natural abilities.

When people come to the forums with questions like yours, I would never sugarcoat advice to make them feel all warm and fluffy about their <<3.0 GPA-- if that's what you're suggesting by telling me to "be positive". You asked several times whether you should just change your field, and when the answer was a resounding "YES" from quite a few people, you got defensive and started listing outlier situations that work in your favor. I said it before, and I'll say it again: The people here are not on admissions committees and those who responded to you were just trying to give you their honest opinions to save YOU time and the hardship of getting rejected. No, you don't have to listen to a word anyone tells you, but don't ask for advice if you're not prepared to hear it.

And for the record, feel free to read my previous posts again. Instead of focusing on whether I'm giving "positive" or "negative" advice, think about the advice that you would HONESTLY give to those posters. No BS, no sugarcoating-- it's the only way to be.

Last edited:
No, you don't have to listen to a word anyone tells you, but don't ask for advice if you're not prepared to hear it.

Thanks, well, even though I thought I will hate to read your comments, I really liked what you said. thank you. except the above part,lols. that okay,
anyway Congrats for your entry!!

thanks again everyone for your time and advice, and you SUNY 2013'

bye:)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :thumbup:

I'm in a similar boat, only that my science GPA is a 2.86 and overall 3.0.

My grades have been up and down, and I've retaken a number of classes. However, I have been in professional photography for many years.

It has really hit my GPA hard last semester, as I shot 5 weddings the last two months and wound up with a D in Biochem II. :( I'm also getting married in three weeks :) so that also took a lot of my time. I got a B+ in Biochem I, so I'm going to retake II cause I know I can do it.

Question is, will my photography business work as an "excuse" for my low GPA? I'm taking the OAT this Fall, and I've got nothing left to do but aim for the stars.

I'm in a similar boat, only that my science GPA is a 2.86 and overall 3.0.

My grades have been up and down, and I've retaken a number of classes. However, I have been in professional photography for many years.

It has really hit my GPA hard last semester, as I shot 5 weddings the last two months and wound up with a D in Biochem II. :( I'm also getting married in three weeks :) so that also took a lot of my time. I got a B+ in Biochem I, so I'm going to retake II cause I know I can do it.

Question is, will my photography business work as an "excuse" for my low GPA? I'm taking the OAT this Fall, and I've got nothing left to do but aim for the stars.

I don't know how the OptomCAS questions work, however I'm pretty sure that all the schools I applied to asked about whether you were working while in school. I actually was doing the same thing as you throughout college (although less of a focus on weddings, more on headshots and portraits). It's a better "excuse" than laziness, but the bottom line is that sometimes you have to make sacrifices. I'm sure the adcoms are going to realize that you could have easily declined some of the jobs and recommended someone else as their photographer if your grades were suffering.

Regardless, the only thing you can do is what you've planned. At least it gives you an interesting edge, though. In one of my interviews, I ended up talking about photography with my interviewer for like 10 minutes before he realized he was supposed to be interviewing me! :laugh:

I don't know how the OptomCAS questions work, however I'm pretty sure that all the schools I applied to asked about whether you were working while in school. I actually was doing the same thing as you throughout college (although less of a focus on weddings, more on headshots and portraits). It's a better "excuse" than laziness, but the bottom line is that sometimes you have to make sacrifices. I'm sure the adcoms are going to realize that you could have easily declined some of the jobs and recommended someone else as their photographer if your grades were suffering.

Regardless, the only thing you can do is what you've planned. At least it gives you an interesting edge, though. In one of my interviews, I ended up talking about photography with my interviewer for like 10 minutes before he realized he was supposed to be interviewing me! :laugh:
Haha! That's pretty awesome. Last night I was talking photography with a buddy, and after a while his gf said we were speaking a different language. :hungover:

That's true, I should have given a few more gigs to other photographers. It takes a ton of time to post-process, especially if the bride wants "all of them" (I usually take about 800 and dwindle it down to about 500, but the 2nd shooters I've hired always shoot up to 1500, which can be a problem).

When I prepare for the OAT, I'm definitely gonna have to put my business on hold and hope my student loans and my wife-to-be's job can support us in the meantime.

I forgot to say, I've also volunteered at two churches the past 5 years.. mostly with the music ministry, and also with a focus on feeding the homeless and building wells in Africa for starving kids who don't have clean drinking water. Can you believe people today still have to wash their clothes in one universal river/sewage drainage? :eek: I never actually went to Africa, but I hope at least supporting it and being a part of it means something to the schools.

Haha! That's pretty awesome. Last night I was talking photography with a buddy, and after a while his gf said we were speaking a different language. :hungover:

That's true, I should have given a few more gigs to other photographers. It takes a ton of time to post-process, especially if the bride wants "all of them" (I usually take about 800 and dwindle it down to about 500, but the 2nd shooters I've hired always shoot up to 1500, which can be a problem)

Hahaha... yeah the processing/editing part is by far the most time consuming... especially when you're dealing with impatient brides or actors/musicians who don't understand that you're a student with REAL classes :rolleyes:

I forgot to say, I've also volunteered at two churches the past 5 years.. mostly with the music ministry, and also with a focus on feeding the homeless and building wells in Africa for starving kids who don't have clean drinking water. Can you believe people today still have to wash their clothes in one universal river/sewage drainage? :eek: I never actually went to Africa, but I hope at least supporting it and being a part of it means something to the schools.

They'll definitely like this. I was very involved in my church as well and they asked me a bunch of questions about it. :thumbup:

That sounds like a great cause; good job :thumbup:

To the author of this thread:
My advice to you is to retake some of the classes you didnt do so well in and raise that GPA up. However, there are understandable circumstances and you could always apply with your current status and hope for the best. I've witnessed students' acceptances with comparable averages to yours as well as lower.

Good luck and my best regards

I usually have no interest in replying to these threads but rather enjoy reading them. In your case, I find it VERY amusing that the eye icon person feels the needs to express her "natural abilities" to be an optometrist. Since everyone is expressing opinions, i think it's safe for me to express mine?...

1. There are committees members reading these.
2. Please explain what a natural ability to be an optometrist is? Until this day I've yet to find my natural ability.
3. Did you "sugarcoat" your application or interview, judging from your so called advice to the author here, I am worried for your future patients.
4. Help me find my natural abilities PLEASE!

Hello all. I took the OAT and to my dismay got a 290! :eek:So I googled 290 OAT to see if anyone ever scored so low and found this thread. I have some extenuating circumstances of my own, and I would be grateful to hear your comments about them. I have been chomping at the bit to get into optometry school since I graduated high school early in 2004. I took 18+ hours of prerequisite courses (just what was needed for OS entry of course) and I applied to SCO. I was not surprised that I was rejected, I was young with no degree. Then, I had my first baby at 19. I graduated from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington the next semester at the age of 20, three years after I started school, and with a baby on my hip. Did I mention that in this time I also acquired a license in Nail Technology and was working my way through college as a manicurist part time? I took some time to raise my little girl, mean while teaching Biology Labs at the local community college when my second daughter was conceived. In this time I was praying every night asking if I should try for optometry school again or give up and submit to a life of teaching (which was fun, but not so challenging). My daughter was born in September last year with glaucoma in both eyes. It is very rare, 1/100,000! Is that my sign? So I started taking more classes. I will retake Physics in the spring. I just retook my OAT, but time to study is limited raising two children under 3, one visually impaired with 15+ eye surgeries this year. One advantage is that I am learning a great deal from Amelia's eye anomaly, bless her heart. After getting a 290, I'm somewhat discouraged, but I am wondering, should I give up? Are my circumstances extenuating enough? This is the print out from the testing center incase anyone is interested or wants to give advice.
Q Reasoning--230
Reading Comprehension--340
Biology--320
General Chem--300
Organic--260
Physics--290
Total--290
Sorry so long, and mind numbing. :sleep:I just want to give a well rounded picture of the tribulations I face to see what you think. Optometry is my greatest dream. I want so much to be a guardian of this previous gift, vision. I am so grateful to those who helped my daughter have sight!:love:
Cheers,
Amelia Keeley Boyce