The Legendary Med School Spreadsheet Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! That fixed it.

What's the difference between the LizzyM score and the NLM score? My NLM score is WAAAY lower than my LizzyM score.

The NLM is just a re-weighted LizzyM score. It's recalculated in 2 ways: 1) the MCAT vs. GPA weighting is dynamic (it varies depending upon the MCAT and GPA values, although the MCAT generally receives more weight) and 2) it includes the sGPA as well as the cGPA in the calculation (at a near 50/50 ratio, although the cGPA is given slightly more weight than the sGPA based upon an AAMC survey from about a year ago).

Members don't see this ad.

The NLM is just a re-weighted LizzyM score. It's recalculated in 2 ways: 1) the MCAT vs. GPA weighting is dynamic (it varies depending upon the MCAT and GPA values, although the MCAT generally receives more weight) and 2) it includes the sGPA as well as the cGPA in the calculation (at a near 50/50 ratio, although the cGPA is given slightly more weight than the sGPA based upon an AAMC survey from about a year ago).

It's strange... because my NLM score is 70 before I sign the ChanceMe sheet... then it drops down to 63.45 after I sign it... Why is that?

PS: Thanks for all the help :). This is a helpful tool!!

It's strange... because my NLM score is 70 before I sign the ChanceMe sheet... then it drops down to 63.45 after I sign it... Why is that?

PS: Thanks for all the help :). This is a helpful tool!!

It's probably using the LizzyM scoring prior to signing the disclaimer. I'm not entirely sure what is going on there without digging through data. Signing the disclaimer changes some key values in the spreadsheet that basically bring all of the advanced features to life. Prior to signing it, your results are pretty much limited to what the original med school selection spreadsheet did. The NLM calculations, however, are handled by a hidden spreadsheet that is massive and handles most of the underlying calculations for the Main and ChanceMe spreadsheets. I hid it mostly because it's pretty confusing and I don't see much of a point in making it visible and confusing people, although it does have a few user-definable values that an "advanced" user might play with (honestly, I have no idea who would really want to change them...). As a result, I'm not really sure what effect not signing the disclaimer has on the NLM score (or, more precisely, why it has the effect it does). In my case, it lowers it; in yours, it raises it (when you don't sign the spreadsheet). To really know would take looking at about 6 cells, tracing where their data come from and examining the effects of the disclaimer code on those cells. In all honesty, I didn't do much debugging of the code that works prior to signing the disclaimer because the application is basically considered disabled/non-functional until you sign it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you, or anyone else, think having an input for age would change the predictability of the model? How about gender?

Do you, or anyone else, think having an input for age would change the predictability of the model? How about gender?

There are no data available for those statistics. We would need supporting data to put something like that in. I'm not so sure it would make much difference, though (at least I like to think not).

I can not put anything in the GPA and the worksheet before it because it states that it is protected and I need a password to unprotect the files. What do they mean by that and I signed the other papers what other worksheet I need to sign? I am confused

Hi Guys,
I am new to this thing so I don't really know how to navigate this but I will was wondering how to unlock the school selection excel sheet. I was downloaded the excel and then typed my name in the signature column in chance me. My question is what do I do after that? I tried to press enter or tab after I type my name in but everything is still locked, and they said that I need to unprotect the excel sheet and type in a password. However I do not know what the password is. Can anyone let me know how to fix the problem? Thank you very much.

Hi Guys,
I am new to this thing so I don't really know how to navigate this but I will was wondering how to unlock the school selection excel sheet. I was downloaded the excel and then typed my name in the signature column in chance me. My question is what do I do after that? I tried to press enter or tab after I type my name in but everything is still locked, and they said that I need to unprotect the excel sheet and type in a password. However I do not know what the password is. Can anyone let me know how to fix the problem? Thank you very much.

I am having the same problem as well, I signed it in chance me box too and I was wondering the same thing

Thanks for the Spreadsheet!!!!

I'm loving all the other tabs and charts.

Awesome. love it!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hmm... It's giving me a shot at half the California schools and at all Texas schools except for Baylor. I got a shot at some New York schools (not NYU or Columbia) and Tulane. These are precisely the schools I want to apply to. Good to see this. I'm also a match at some iffy schools, but I won't name names.

Am i the only one who does not know how to use this spreadsheet? It gives me no options to enter GPA MCAT.

This has been disabled, right? I mean, it's June 5 and many of the most recent posts (61, 58, 57, 56) were from about a week ago and indicated that the GPA and MCAT scores could not be entered. I can't figure out how to enter any of my son's info other than his name.

Can you offer any help here or is it game over for now?

Last edited:
This has been disabled, right? I mean, it's June 5 and many of the most recent posts (61, 58, 57, 56) were from about a week ago and indicated that the GPA and MCAT scores could not be entered. I can't figure out how to enter any of my son's info other than his name.

Can you offer any help here or is it game over for now?

Your...son...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Am i the only one who does not know how to use this spreadsheet? It gives me no options to enter GPA MCAT.

I am not the creator of the worksheet but the following worked for me:
1) First I located the file and I changed it from read-only to not read-only
2) I typed my name in the box. (After this happens Main Sheet!B2 should change from saying "Restricted Mode" to saying something else, and Main Sheet!C2 should change as well.)
3) Entered MCAT scores where it says MCAT (not where it says "Active MCAT Scores"). Same with GPA. Adjust other parts of file as well...

Your...son...?

Yeah. Some people have time to post hundreds of helpful messages or figure out how to use spreadsheets, others need to spend their time preparing for next week's MCATs. I guess you didn't know how to use the spreadsheet either, or you would have told me how. :laugh:

Thanks Wanderer for the directions.

The links don't work - can someone repost it somewhere? I think it might have expired.

Hi Guys,

After signing the disclaimer, go to the main sheet and enter things from there. All user-input fields are purple in color. No other fields may be altered. The spreadsheet cannot be unlocked. This is to protect data inside the spreadsheet to help satisfy the AAMC. At this time, no unlocked versions of the spreadsheet will be released.

GPA & MCAT may be entered on the main sheet (the first tab). The boxes for manual entry are shaded purple. Active boxes are automatically filled in and only shown to help you figure out what is going on if you disable the manual entry fields by enabling other spreadsheet features (e.g., GPA calculator or MCAT estimator).

The links don't work - can someone repost it somewhere? I think it might have expired.

The links work fine right now (I just checked it). Unfortunately, there is a limit on the bandwidth usage and, last I checked, we were just under (meaning it may have been over the limit when you tried to download the file). (The limit is set to 5 GB/month by our host, which means up to about 3000-5000 downloads/month depending upon which version people download.)

Well... since apparently we can't download this from fileden for over half a month, is there anyone that can host a copy elsewhere or PM me about sending me a copy?

Well... since apparently we can't download this from fileden for over half a month, is there anyone that can host a copy elsewhere or PM me about sending me a copy?

Ditto ^^

Ditto to ditto. Can someone please re-up and share the wealth?

Hey can someone please PM me with a way to get the spreadsheet? I'm lost without it. Thank you very much I appreciate it!!!!

We need a host for the file. I have decided to discontinue the xls version as it is larger, but we will still need about 5 gig/month of bandwidth to host the smaller xlsx file. Whenever someone finds a free place to host it or offers to pay for the hosting, the file will be back. For now, you guys apparently caused fileden to remove the file due to excessive downloading. Apparently, hitting our bandwidth cap before the first month was over wasn't appreciated...

Once I get a hold of it, I will help out in uploading it to various free sites. Until then, I must wait patiently.

Yea - anyone got it PM please:)

At people who have it - maybe I'm being ignorant but is there a reason Megaupload/Rapidshare do not work?

hey id like a copy too! please PM me if available =) :luck:

Same here - I'm sure we could find a suitable host for the file.

Thanks! ;)

PM it to me too please !! :D much appreciated

We need a host for the file. I have decided to discontinue the xls version as it is larger, but we will still need about 5 gig/month of bandwidth to host the smaller xlsx file. Whenever someone finds a free place to host it or offers to pay for the hosting, the file will be back. For now, you guys apparently caused fileden to remove the file due to excessive downloading. Apparently, hitting our bandwidth cap before the first month was over wasn't appreciated...

My friend just sent me a link with the school selector file from last year

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=YWhNY05tSyswVW52Wmc9PQ

If you can, please check if this is the actual curren file your sharing through this thread. If not, then I think you can use the www.yousendit.com website to upload it without having any bandwidth problems.

Thanks again. I definitely agree this is one valuable tool for any pre med!

My friend just sent me a link with the school selector file from last year

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=YWhNY05tSyswVW52Wmc9PQ

If you can, please check if this is the actual curren file your sharing through this thread. If not, then I think you can use the www.yousendit.com website to upload it without having any bandwidth problems.

Thanks again. I definitely agree this is one valuable tool for any pre med!

Yousendit only lasts 1 week/25 downloads (whichever comes first). It's not feasible for a file that gets downloaded over 1000 times/week!

As for it being the same spreadsheet... well, no, not exactly. It may contain different data and it lacks most of the features that this spreadsheet contains.

...However, Wanderer100 was able to upload it to Mediafire so for the time being it is available there per the link on the first post of this thread. (I will always simply update that link for simplicity's sake.) Unfortunately, we have had problems with Mediafire in the past so it's possible those may recur.

Anyone have problems with the spreadsheet crashing as soon as you try and change either the MCAT or GPA? I'm using a macbook pro and excel 2007, anyone go through this and have any suggestions on how to remedy the situation?

Anyone have problems with the spreadsheet crashing as soon as you try and change either the MCAT or GPA? I'm using a macbook pro and excel 2007, anyone go through this and have any suggestions on how to remedy the situation?

Well... if you're using a MacBook Pro and Office 2007, that might just be your problem.... Seeing as Office 2007 is only made for Windows machines. Just sayin'.

Seriously, though, I use a MacBook Pro and I built it in Office 2004 and 2008 primarily with tests run in Excel 2003 and 2010. I've never had the spreadsheet crash on me. What exactly is happening when it "crashes"? Is it freezing up? Just taking a really like time to calculate? Causing Excel to just force quit?

thanks, this is great. Especially, the GPA calculator

it says the page is invalid...am i doing something wrong?

i cant open the file...it says it's invalid. does anyone have the actual link/know what im doing wrong?

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but can someone kindly send me their copy? Original is definitely down.

id like a copy of the lizz and medschool spreadsheet also

please pm me!

thank you

The file appears to have been removed. I have no further information as to why. Perhaps the AAMC still does not like the file despite our fixes.

We may need to undertake a huge project to completely rewrite the application from the ground up using NO AAMC data.

In the meantime, can someone please pm me the original sheet? Thanks in advance for your help. :)

The file appears to have been removed. I have no further information as to why. Perhaps the AAMC still does not like the file despite our fixes.

We may need to undertake a huge project to completely rewrite the application from the ground up using NO AAMC data.

Yes could somebody PM me the original spreadsheet also? Would really appreciate it

The file still appears in the internal directory, but if I try to click it I get this message:
The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire
All the other files uploaded are still accessible, including another file which I originally uploaded that was open to another worksheet.
I did not take down the file, so it must have been MediaFire. However, they have given me no reason why, and I don't know if there was a copyright claim put on it, if the bandwidth was too high (it is high for the short amount of time it was up, although MediaFire officially claims they don't care about bandwidth), or some random reason or error (unlikely).

Most file-uploading services have the same generic statement for all activity, so unfortunately I don't think we will know why it was removed. Reuploading it presents no logistic issues, but if there is some legal issue that can't be done.

I'm really not sure how I feel about having the med school spreadsheet hosted on bittorrent... esp. via a site like piratebay! I kind of feel like that takes it from being a legal and legitimate resource for premed students (which is what I want it to be) to being something more... well, illegal. I don't want to be supporting something the AAMC feels so strongly against that SDN members are feeling they must resort to something like BT to distribute it.

Status
Not open for further replies.