The Legendary Med School Spreadsheet Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell from research online, the old data should be copyright-free. If it is not, please let me know.

Thanks and enjoy the spreadsheet!

apumic

A version of the med school spreadsheet using old (i.e., public domain) data has been uploaded to the following location:

Courtesy of Wanderer100, the spreadsheet may be downloaded from http://www.mediafire.com/file/1uwngxnd2wy/MedSchoolSelector2010.xlsx

* The xls format version is no longer available or supported. (You may download a compatibility pack for Office 2003/2004 or use OpenOffice, which is a free Office clone, if you do not have Office 2007/2008.)

Features:

• LizzyM score calculations
  • MCAT estimation
  • % Chance calculations with margins of error
  • Application recommendations
  • Automated EC evaluation
  • AMCAS GPA calculator
  • URM & Regular Acceptance Rate graphs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, I thought this spreadsheet was a legend like a bigfoot, never thought it existed.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Not a big deal, just a convenient tool. Everyone could make their own, but that would suck big ones to input all of that MSAR data.

This one also has a bunch of other worksheets to add add'l functionality. If you download and play with it a bit, it can help to answer probably the 50 or so most frequently asked questions on SDN ("How's my school list?" "What GPA/MCAT do I need to get into X?" "What are my chances of getting into Y?" "What MCAT score should I aim for?" "Should I retake the MCAT?" "Will I probably do better if I take the MCAT again?" "How important is research/clinical experience/volunteering?" "How much shadowing do I need?"...and so on.)

Wow! Awesome! That's much cooler than the old one. I appreciate your hard work!

I have one question, do you happen to know how to fix some of the cells in the DO schools? There are a lot of Div/0 etc. Plus the Main page is telling me I'd get into all the DO schools, but under Chance Me, it's giving me 0%. Is that due to the inherent unpredictability of the DO schools?

Wow, this is amazing! Thanks a lot apumic :thumbup:

Just curious -- how was the MCAT estimator constructed relative to ACT scores?

Wow! Awesome! That's much cooler than the old one. I appreciate your hard work!

I have one question, do you happen to know how to fix some of the cells in the DO schools? There are a lot of Div/0 etc. Plus the Main page is telling me I'd get into all the DO schools, but under Chance Me, it's giving me 0%. Is that due to the inherent unpredictability of the DO schools?

The DO schools lack the data to do some of the calculations, unfortunately. The calculations were left there so allow someone to add in the necessary data if they are able to get a hold of it somehow. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the data simply has not been published. All of the data I was able to mine myself is in the spreadsheet.

Wow, this is amazing! Thanks a lot apumic :thumbup:

Just curious -- how was the MCAT estimator constructed relative to ACT scores?

The MCAT estimation tool uses adjusted percentile rankings. GRE, UG GPA, and previous/practice MCAT scores (graph only) are given a 1:1 percentile rank (i.e., the population is expected to be approximately equal to actual MCAT test-takers, so a 90th percentile GRE score should correlate to a 90th percentile MCAT -- this was shown to be the case in a meta analysis of a number of different pseudoexperimental studies). For ACT & SAT scores, the same basic formula is used; however, studies have shown a difference of ~1 SD between HS grads and college grads. This was consistent with scores posted on several threads on SDN in which people gave their MCAT and ACT/SAT scores. As a result, all ACT/SAT scores' Z-scores are adjusted by 1.0 SD (i.e., the mean of students taking the MCAT is at Z=1.0 of the population who take the ACT/SAT). The Z-scores are corrected accordingly. In order to integrate all of the scores, an empirically-determined coefficient of correlation is used to determine weighting of each test score in the estimated calculation. So, for instance, the GRE is a stronger predictor than is the ACT, so if the ACT predicts a 33 but the GRE predicts only a 30, the person's overall predicted score will be around 31 (instead of 32 or 33). Additionally, ACT/SAT/GRE Verbal is a stronger predictor of VR than is ACT/SAT/GRE math/science/quant, so the Verbal sections are weighted moreso (however, the science/math sections do have some predictive power and so are not entirely discarded in the calculation).

Does that clarify things a bit? It's a pretty complex algorithm but the essence of it is that percentile ranks (actually Z-scores, technically) are determined for each one and are then adjusted to fit the population taking the MCAT. The adjusted Z-scores are then converted to MCAT scaled scores in accordance with the latest statistical data. You, as the user, are given a straight MCAT score. Internally, the program keeps full precision for its internal calculations, which is why you could get an 11/11/11 that ends up giving a total of "34."

Last edited:
Really cool. I dislike how it doesn't take into account the school you attend when you input GPA though (but then again, it would be way too hard to...). A 3.7 from Harvard isn't the same as a 3.7 from UC Irvine.

Edit: Also, I put in "4.0" for cGPA and sGPA, and a 45 on the MCAT to see what my chances would be at WUSTL. Surprisingly, it was a 3.5%... I'm pretty sure more than 3.5% of those with a 4.0 cGPA and 45 MCAT get into WUSTL!

Last edited:
yes, we know you go to Princeton. :thumbup:

yes, we know you go to Princeton. :thumbup:

Good, because clearly that was the main point of my post. Great reading comprehension there. What was your MCAT verbal score, btw? I'm really curious. If you say it's above 7, I'm calling BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
How old is this data?

Not very old but old enough for the AAMC not to care. I checked it against the most recent MSAR and the numbers are pretty close. I'll PM you the details.

Really cool. I dislike how it doesn't take into account the school you attend when you input GPA though (but then again, it would be way too hard to...). A 3.7 from Harvard isn't the same as a 3.7 from UC Irvine.

True, although honestly, schools only take your GPA into account minimally to begin with and no med school publishes how it weighs or fixes your GPA from different institutions.

Good, because clearly that was the main point of my post. Great reading comprehension there. What was your MCAT verbal score, btw? I'm really curious. If you say it's above 7, I'm calling BS.
boycotting the mcat. I'm banking on my super good looks overriding the need for that silly little test.

I particularly like how the chance sheet gives me a negative chance at some schools :cool:

One area where the spreadsheet fails me is GPA sheet. My school grades A, AB, B, BC, C, etc. There's no way to edit it to the half-step system.

Other than that, this is pretty damn cool. Aside from it's usefulness, it's an excellent application of statistics

i might just be blind, but where do you enter your gpa and mcat scores? i don't see them on the sheet. :scared:

What's the password for actually filling in your own info on this spreadsheet?

I hate this LizzyM spreadsheet with a passion. I really don't see what possible function it serves. What does it do? Give you an idea of which schools are around your average GPA and MCAT? It's such a useless indicator of your chances at a school, we all know that.

orly, you have a better indicator than comparing yourself to the average gpa and mcat?

I particularly like how the chance sheet gives me a negative chance at some schools :cool:

One area where the spreadsheet fails me is GPA sheet. My school grades A, AB, B, BC, C, etc. There's no way to edit it to the half-step system.

Other than that, this is pretty damn cool. Aside from it's usefulness, it's an excellent application of statistics

Haha, seriously? It gives you a negative chance?! I'm pretty sure that "can't" happen seeing as both chance columns have preset ranges of 0.01-90.00%. So if it is, that's really strange!

The code that gives the percent chance for the 1st school on the list as folows:

med school spreadsheet said:
=IF(ISERR(AA3*R3*S3*T3*U3*AE3),"N/A",IF(AA3*R3*S3*T3*U3*AE3>0.9,0.9,IF(AA3*R3*S3*T3*U3*AE3<0.0001,0.0001,AA3*R3*S3*T3*U3*AE3)))

In other words, if the value is <0.01%, the value is set to 0.01%; if more than 90%, it is set to 90%; and if there is some sort of error, it is set to N/A. Otherwise, the value is given as-is.

Due to the AAMC's crackdown on this application and the fact that having such would allow extraction of data from the spreadsheet, I have decided to withhold the password at this time. Sorry. You are still able to fill in MCAT, GPA, etc. into the user entry fields without the password, however.

I hate this LizzyM spreadsheet with a passion. I really don't see what possible function it serves. What does it do? Give you an idea of which schools are around your average GPA and MCAT? It's such a useless indicator of your chances at a school, we all know that.

Umm... it gives you an idea of where you might consider applying... hence the name and all. It's a statistics-driven computer model of admissions decisions that attempts to give people some sense of how they might do at various schools given the available data and their profile. At the end of the day, it's probably similar in predictive power to a well-researched reapplying premed on SDN giving similar advice. That is, it's using data to come up with general suggestions about each school. The percent chances are obviously guesses (albeit educated ones with base acceptance rate weighing heavily into the scoring process) but they do at least provide a "score" one could use to determine which schools would be most attracted to the applicant (and most likely to be a good fit for the applicant) relative to one another.

there's several floating around SDN that dont require passwords. Just search for the school selector spreadsheet.

there's several floating around SDN that dont require passwords. Just search for the school selector spreadsheet.

This is true as well, although the ones w/o a password that are still available are the original spreadsheet and most have been removed.

funny-pictures-rabbit-eats-thread.jpg

Haha, seriously? It gives you a negative chance?! I'm pretty sure that "can't" happen seeing as both chance columns have preset ranges of 0.01-90.00%. So if it is, that's really strange!
In other words, if the value is <0.01%, the value is set to 0.01%; if more than 90%, it is set to 90%; and if there is some sort of error, it is set to N/A. Otherwise, the value is given as-is.
I should have clarified -- the % RANGE goes from -0.1% to 0.1% for a few schools. Another little quirk is that it gives me a 90% chance of being intereviewed at North Dakota but a 0% chance of being accepted.

A version of the med school spreadsheet using old (i.e., public domain) data has been uploaded to the following location:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/5/18/2863411/MedSchoolSelector2010.xls

As far as I can tell from research online, the old data should be copyright-free. If it is not, please let me know.

apumic

Features:

• MCAT estimation
  • AMCAS GPA calculator

hey some how when i click on it, it just asks me to open or save it, and when i open it, its just an excel sheet with some stuff in it. i can input any data what so ever.

I should have clarified -- the % RANGE goes from -0.1% to 0.1% for a few schools. Another little quirk is that it gives me a 90% chance of being intereviewed at North Dakota but a 0% chance of being accepted.

Ahh... ok. Yeah, the % Range is just the % Chance ± (% Global_Margin_of_Error * % Chance). It's simply meant to give an idea of just how precise the % Chance number might actually be. So yes, in theory if the % Chance value is 0.1% and the margin of error is fairly large, it could give something like that. The margin of error, btw, is listed on the Main sheet. It is calculated from a fractional ratio and expressed as a percentage. The fractional ratio is that of the AMCAS data grid as compared to the user's results given an average (i.e., ideally chosen) set of schools applied to (the spreadsheet internally chooses an "ideal" set of schools for you and actually calculates an average chance at acceptance all behind the scenes in order to compare itself with the empirical data AMCAS has published). This dataset is also used on the ChanceMe sheet to create the school selection advising via the graph. (The text entries are simply if/then statements that compare your school choices with common advice on choosing med schools.)

hey some how when i click on it, it just asks me to open or save it, and when i open it, its just an excel sheet with some stuff in it. i can input any data what so ever.

I don't really understand what you're saying here. It's an excel spreadsheet, yes. Not sure if you meant to use a negative in that sentence or what you're wondering. I will be posting an xlsx version soon to replace the old version that may work better for you. It will, of course, require Excel 2007/2008/2010. Of course, if you need a copy of Excel 2007 or higher, you can get the Microsoft Excel 2010 Beta for free at http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx

While not the tell-all end-all, it's definitely a useful tool. It basically compiles the things everyone searches out in the MSAR and puts them all together. I think it's a great way to help compile an application list.

The spreadsheet has been updated. I basically simplified the interface a bit, removed dead space, and made the spreadsheet a bit faster. Also, the 2007/2008 version is much smaller and faster loading/processing and I fixed graphs that got messed up by Excel 2010.

Anyone have anything they want to see added/changed?

Compatibility with 'Numbers'... the mac equivalent of excel. I can usually open .xls files, but for some reason not this one.

Compatibility with 'Numbers'... the mac equivalent of excel. I can usually open .xls files, but for some reason not this one.

I don't have Numbers so it'd be a bit difficult to try and ensure compatibility. It may simply be the complexity of the document and/or some change in the function code. The spreadsheet doesn't makes use of any VBA or anything, so it works fine in the Mac versions of Excel (it was actually developed in Excel 2004 on a Mac initially and is now being edited and updated using Excel 2008 also on a Mac, which does not support VBA). You could try using OpenOffice.org (a free Office suite alternative to MS-Office that is offered for Windows, Linux, OS X, etc.). It definitely opens in the OpenOffice.org spreadsheet application, although it doesn't look as nice as in Excel, unfortunately, but it is still quite functional. The only thing I noticed definitely didn't work was the acceptance rate graphs. I'm not quite sure why these don't translate well, but they don't. To use it in OpenOffice.org, you'll want to download the Excel 2003 (.xls) version and not the Excel 2007+ (.xlsx) version.

Could you add the side and and top bar like you had in the previous versions. Its hard to keep track of what number means what.

Could you add the side and and top bar like you had in the previous versions. Its hard to keep track of what number means what.

The top and side bar of what?

I don't have Numbers so it'd be a bit difficult to try and ensure compatibility. It may simply be the complexity of the document and/or some change in the function code. The spreadsheet doesn't makes use of any VBA or anything, so it works fine in the Mac versions of Excel (it was actually developed in Excel 2004 on a Mac initially and is now being edited and updated using Excel 2008 also on a Mac, which does not support VBA). You could try using OpenOffice.org (a free Office suite alternative to MS-Office that is offered for Windows, Linux, OS X, etc.). It definitely opens in the OpenOffice.org spreadsheet application, although it doesn't look as nice as in Excel, unfortunately, but it is still quite functional. The only thing I noticed definitely didn't work was the acceptance rate graphs. I'm not quite sure why these don't translate well, but they don't. To use it in OpenOffice.org, you'll want to download the Excel 2003 (.xls) version and not the Excel 2007+ (.xlsx) version.

Numbers barfs on the password protection and does not open it at all. Given your previous answers, I don't expect that to change.

Thanks, I was able to get it open with openoffice. It actually looks pretty good. Thanks for the hard work

Hey,

for the chance me part of the sheet, is it accurate (trustable)? Like for the schools where I have a high chance of acceptance, those should be my saftey school?

Nice work. I just want to point out that this tool might not be the best indicator for people that have non-traditional backgrounds or significant experiences that aren't reflected in test scores or GPA. It also seems to underestimate chances for people at the extreme end of any given indicator: MCAT, GPA (as pointed out above), experiences, etc., and won't give you any information about 'fit' for schools. Apumic obviously isn't to blame for this, I just think it's important to acknowledge areas in which this tool may break down.

Hey,

for the chance me part of the sheet, is it accurate (trustable)? Like for the schools where I have a high chance of acceptance, those should be my saftey school?

I'd be hesitant to call it "accurate" since there is no way to determine its accuracy without huge amount of data we'll never get (i.e., individual students' scores and acceptance status so as to be able to empirically evaluate how close the spreadsheet matches students' actual chances). However, I would venture to say that those schools with a higher chance given your stats are probably more likely to accept you than those with a lower chance. % Chance values should be somewhat close to reality since they use the acceptance rates as a base (actually, they technically use matriculation rates and adjust for acceptances since acceptance data is not universally available). The adjustments are made as factors by which the acceptance rate is multiplied, so the base rate is extremely important in terms of the result the application yields. Interview percentages are available as-is, so the application simply manipulates those based on the same basic formula as it does for acceptances (with some minor alterations, IIRC).

Nice work. I just want to point out that this tool might not be the best indicator for people that have non-traditional backgrounds or significant experiences that aren't reflected in test scores or GPA. It also seems to underestimate chances for people at the extreme end of any given indicator: MCAT, GPA (as pointed out above), experiences, etc., and won't give you any information about 'fit' for schools. Apumic obviously isn't to blame for this, I just think it's important to acknowledge areas in which this tool may break down.

I would agree. It is simply not possibly to quantify the experience many non-trads have. As a result, while this might be helpful, it is probably most useful for traditional applicants and those non-trads who have only been out of school for a very short time (perhaps 3-5 years at most). The experiences spreadsheet is an attempt to remedy this; however, I intentionally minimized the effects of this spreadsheet on the overall application because it is probably the most dubious set of calculations in the spreadsheet (due to the highly subjective nature of evaluating your own extracurricular activities, clinical & volunteer experience, etc.). As I recall, I made it so that it only really penalizes you if you are completely missing something entirely (i.e., 0 research or 0 clinical) but starts you out w/ most of the credit as long as you've done something and then simply adds a little extra over time with programmed diminishing returns.

As for chances at the extreme ends, it probably does under or overestimate scores significantly since at the extremes of any range is where you are going to see inaccurate modeling give its most obviously incorrect output. The program will tend to be most accurate for GPAs in the 3.0-3.9 range and MCATs in the 28-38 range since these are the ranges in which most applicants lie and therefore where the data is strongest. Outside these ranges, the program has less to work with. (Which is really to say I had less to work with and, as a result, so does the application.)

I would agree. It is simply not possibly to quantify the experience many non-trads have. As a result, while this might be helpful, it is probably most useful for traditional applicants and those non-trads who have only been out of school for a very short time (perhaps 3-5 years at most). The experiences spreadsheet is an attempt to remedy this; however, I intentionally minimized the effects of this spreadsheet on the overall application because it is probably the most dubious set of calculations in the spreadsheet (due to the highly subjective nature of evaluating your own extracurricular activities, clinical & volunteer experience, etc.). As I recall, I made it so that it only really penalizes you if you are completely missing something entirely (i.e., 0 research or 0 clinical) but starts you out w/ most of the credit as long as you've done something and then simply adds a little extra over time with programmed diminishing returns.

As for chances at the extreme ends, it probably does under or overestimate scores significantly since at the extremes of any range is where you are going to see inaccurate modeling give its most obviously incorrect output. The program will tend to be most accurate for GPAs in the 3.0-3.9 range and MCATs in the 28-38 range since these are the ranges in which most applicants lie and therefore where the data is strongest. Outside these ranges, the program has less to work with. (Which is really to say I had less to work with and, as a result, so does the application.)

Sounds like a reasonable way of doing things. I agree, there's no very good way to account for some of the extremes, especially using something like excel. You'd have to move up to a full-blown modeling system to even think about doing that, and that would be a pain in the ass to build.

I think most non-traditional applicants know they're not traditional, I just thought it might be important to point out. I'd say a good rule of thumb is that if you're "reasonably" traditional (e.g., only been out a little while, no really major experiences in that time), and you have a gpa between 3.3-3.9 and an mcat in 28-38, this spreadsheet seems pretty accurate. If you have unbalanced stats outside of that range, it may not be as accurate.

I'd also say that you should take it with a grain of salt when it says a school will accept you with some ridiculously high probability. (E.g., it told me that I'd get into UND with a 90% probability or something like that. I didn't apply there, but I'd be surprised if it were that high).

Sounds like a reasonable way of doing things. I agree, there's no very good way to account for some of the extremes, especially using something like excel. You'd have to move up to a full-blown modeling system to even think about doing that, and that would be a pain in the ass to build.

I think most non-traditional applicants know they're not traditional, I just thought it might be important to point out. I'd say a good rule of thumb is that if you're "reasonably" traditional (e.g., only been out a little while, no really major experiences in that time), and you have a gpa between 3.3-3.9 and an mcat in 28-38, this spreadsheet seems pretty accurate. If you have unbalanced stats outside of that range, it may not be as accurate.

I'd also say that you should take it with a grain of salt when it says a school will accept you with some ridiculously high probability. (E.g., it told me that I'd get into UND with a 90% probability or something like that. I didn't apply there, but I'd be surprised if it were that high).

As would I, haha (if only...). I think UND's data may actually be listed incorrectly but I didn't have an MSAR on hand to check the data against when I had noticed that. At some pt it'd be good to check into though (thanks for the reminder). I recall the data looking a bit fishy with some insanely low number of applicants or something.....

As there doesn't appear to be any copyright problem here, with apumic's permission we're going to sticky this at the top of the What are my Chances forum, where the old spreadsheet used to live. In the future if we hear differently from the AAMC we may have to re-evaluate, but for now, that's what we're going to do.

Thanks again, apumic :)

For Excel 2007/2008 and Newer (smaller and faster):
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/5/18/2863411/MedSchoolSelector2010.xlsx

For versions of Excel prior to 2007 (backwards-compatible):
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/5/18/2863411/MedSchoolSelector2010.xls

apumic

Features:

• MCAT estimation
  • AMCAS GPA calculator

Really cool spreadsheet... but I think I did something wrong... it says "0% Chance" at all the schools... yet it says "High Chance" and "Go For It" next to several schools, so obviously the % Chance section isn't working. Anyone know how to fix it?

Really cool spreadsheet... but I think I did something wrong... it says "0% Chance" at all the schools... yet it says "High Chance" and "Go For It" next to several schools, so obviously the % Chance section isn't working. Anyone know how to fix it?

Did you "sign" it on the ChanceMe page?
If not, all schools have 100% chance for an interview and 0% chance for an acceptance. Also, the spreadsheet will tell you all over the place that you need to "sign" your name there. It's a way of ensuring you've looked at and agreed to the disclaimer about the spreadsheet. I don't want anyone under the impression that this spreadsheet can tell you where to apply. It's meant as a guide and a tool but it cannot give you anything definite. It's all just a bunch of statistics and educated guesses as to how those statistics might interact. It's impossible to say just how (in)accurate or (un)reliable the spreadsheet really is, although I am constantly working to make it a bit more accurate. If anyone wants to join me in that and has some skill with Excel, computer modeling, graphic/application design, etc., I would gladly accept any help you can offer!

Did you "sign" it on the ChanceMe page?
If not, all schools have 100% chance for an interview and 0% chance for an acceptance. Also, the spreadsheet will tell you all over the place that you need to "sign" your name there. It's a way of ensuring you've looked at and agreed to the disclaimer about the spreadsheet. I don't want anyone under the impression that this spreadsheet can tell you where to apply. It's meant as a guide and a tool but it cannot give you anything definite. It's all just a bunch of statistics and educated guesses as to how those statistics might interact. It's impossible to say just how (in)accurate or (un)reliable the spreadsheet really is, although I am constantly working to make it a bit more accurate. If anyone wants to join me in that and has some skill with Excel, computer modeling, graphic/application design, etc., I would gladly accept any help you can offer!

Thanks! That fixed it.

What's the difference between the LizzyM score and the NLM score? My NLM score is WAAAY lower than my LizzyM score.

Status
Not open for further replies.