The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, been doing some research on investment. And this is the direction I think is appropriate. Feel free to critique:

1. Max out 401K, HSA and Roth IRA (all in 2055 target retirement funds).
2. For taxable investments, open up Vanguard brokerage account and invest in standard three-fund portfolio as follows:

80% Stocks
-48% VTSMX
-32% VGTSX
20% Bonds
-VBMFX

Does it seem alright or should I diversify my portfolio more? I am 29 and debt-free. Planning on investing using DCA monthly.

Go with admiral shares, lower expense, if you are debt free, you should have plenty of $ to invest to meet the minimum. Lower bond to 5-10% at your age, unless this asset allocation is really what you are comfortable with. I'd start increasing bond % around 50 yr old+. Target date 2055 has around 10% bond, why are you more conservative in your taxable?

Members don't see this ad.

So, been doing some research on investment. And this is the direction I think is appropriate. Feel free to critique:

2. For taxable investments, open up Vanguard brokerage account and invest in standard three-fund portfolio as follows:

80% Stocks
-48% VTSMX
-32% VGTSX
20% Bonds
-VBMFX

Does it seem alright or should I diversify my portfolio more? I am 29 and debt-free. Planning on investing using DCA monthly.
Looks fine. Just make sure you follow through and do it consistently. Too many people procrastinate about investing or they keep worrying that the market is going to crash, so they end up not investing at all and missing out.

80% Stocks
-48% VTSMX
-32% VGTSX
20% Bonds
-VBMFX

I'll give normal advice for once and agree with the above. I do recommend less bonds though. You're probably only going to get 2ish% there and even if we crash in the next few years since you're just starting to invest full time a crash will hurt you less then say me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!

I can definetly dump in the required amount and get started with admiral shares. Other than 401K and buying individual stocks, I haven't done any other investment. I am planning on reading couple of books but in a meantime, I want to hit the ground running. Hence I have been reading boglehead forum/ wiki and threads such as this.

I am not entirely risk averse so I can definitely start with lower percentage of bonds. What are your preferences when deciding the allocation between Total US vs Total International?

Thanks guys!

I can definetly dump in the required amount and get started with admiral shares. Other than 401K and buying individual stocks, I haven't done any other investment. I am planning on reading couple of books but in a meantime, I want to hit the ground running. Hence I have been reading boglehead forum/ wiki and threads such as this.

I am not entirely risk averse so I can definitely start with lower percentage of bonds. What are your preferences when deciding the allocation between Total US vs Total International?
Almost half of S&P 500 revenue is derived from outside of US. International allocation anywhere between 0-30% is appropriate. That said, my own portfolio has 30% international.

Bogle recommends no more than 20% international, although this advice may be a bit outdated now. Long term domestic and international total market are within tenths of a percent of each other

Do y'all have any investing-type books that you'd recommend a beginner to read?

Boggleheads is a good book to introduce you to everything. It was written by the guy that founded Vanguard. I regularly listen to the Stacking Benjamins podcasts and recommend those for the commute. It's hosted by the corniest two dudes in the history of podcasts, but the info is good. Listen Money Matters is another good one geared more towards beginners.

Reactions: 1 user
Apple!!!! Up 3% after reporting and 45% on the year.

Another red day for me. Curse you, Tesla!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts on Bitcoin?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Admittedly, I had used 3k of my student loans to purchase bitcoin in 2013. The fundamentals of it now are not different from what they were at that time, yet the price tanked from 600->250. I think of bitcoin as more of a momentum asset based on hype. As they say, I think you should put in whatever you're comfortable losing as that thing can crash at any moment. A gamble is what it is!

I'm afraid to get too far in because coinbase takes me 1 week for the buying process to occur so I can't get out if a major dump.

Really? It was instant for me to purchase on coinbase I thought... I only bought like 1/10th a bitcoin (a month ago).

Go with credit card, I know you will pay 1% more than through bank but it's faster and you may recoup that 1%if market is going up

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Wow, thanks, I didn't notice that- the first credit card purchase didn't go through instantly so I didn't try again.

I learned that hard way. Go with credit card, you will see coin instantly and you can immediately transfer coin to other exchange if you want to buy other coin

Networth update +$30k this year, thanks to rally in dow jones/smart investing! Slowly but surely getting to my $1M mark to be financially independent!

Stocks are really pricy now... Hoping for ~ +$40k in 2011, looking hard for value stock -.-;

Not sure how I ended up in an old investing thread but noticed this gem. So are you financially independent now?

Also, man did you love gold back then.

Not sure how I ended up in an old investing thread but noticed this gem. So are you financially independent now?

Also, man did you love gold back then.
Grinding slowly to $2M NW now. Financially independent? I spend maybe $20-25k/yr tops so you can say I am financially independent since my portfolio is about 45x of yearly expenses. But, really I want to gun for $3M to replace rph income (even if I don't spend that much) then maybe FIRE.

Grinding slowly to $2M NW now. Financially independent? I spend maybe $20-25k/yr tops so you can say I am financially independent since my portfolio is about 45x of yearly expenses. But, really I want to gun for $3M to replace rph income (even if I don't spend that much) then maybe FIRE.

I stopped reading that thread, I hope you got out of that gold trend. It was interesting though seeing people calling market tops way back then and we're still going higher.

Following in your footsteps, though I'm not trying to be that frugal. Didn't realize you used to be into individual stocks lol. Are you completely in index funds now?

NW.PNG

Reactions: 2 users
Following in your footsteps, though I'm not trying to be that frugal. Didn't realize you used to be into individual stocks lol. Are you completely in index funds now?

View attachment 225451

Does this include your house? The wife and I have been thinking of retiring when the kids are gone but we would sell the house and get something cheap. Should hit 2 million if we don't get a crash before they are gone. Could easily live on 3% and stay on as part time, picking up a shift a week would help during a crash.

Last edited:
Yes it includes my house at $438k, paid off. Sure, I could make more by having a mortgage and leveraging that capital in the stock market, but I love the security and not having to worry about a stock market crash. I also like my job right now, so I'm going to keep working and just use all the free cash flow to invest.

Yes it includes my house at $438k, paid off. Sure, I could make more by having a mortgage and leveraging that capital in the stock market, but I love the security and not having to worry about a stock market crash. I also like my job right now, so I'm going to keep working and just use all the free cash flow to invest.

I admire all of you guys ITT, and would like to be in your position some odd years down the road.

For an investing newb (me), would you recommend FAANG stocks? Or what direction would you point me in?

I admire all of you guys ITT, and would like to be in your position some odd years down the road.

For an investing newb (me), would you recommend FAANG stocks? Or what direction would you point me in?

Depends, have you maxed out your 401k/403b/etc and personal IRAs with index funds first?

Depends, have you maxed out your 401k/403b/etc and personal IRAs with index funds first?

403b 5%, because I'm not matched until year 1 of employment and that is the maximum match (plus I have loans and **** to pay for as a new grad). Currently maxing out HSA. Enrolling into PSLF on a side note.

Edit: No personal IRA at this time. Unsure of whether to do Roth or Traditional.

403b 5%, because I'm not matched until year 1 of employment and that is the maximum match (plus I have loans and **** to pay for as a new grad). Currently maxing out HSA. Enrolling into PSLF on a side note.

Ah. For me, it would depend on the numbers of the student loans. I hate having debt, and I don't think the PSLF survives in its current form, so if it were manageable in a ~5 year interval, I'd hit the loans hard to get them out of the way. Or at least loans >4.5% or so. But, that's a personal decision. After getting my retirement money and at least a 6 month emergency fund together, I am a fan of index investing for a majority of my portfolio. Once you get a good solid base for retirement, then some individual stocks may be a good idea. But, I'd keep it to something like 10% or less of the overall investments. After that, I'd be thinking about other passive income streams.

Yeah I would pretty much echo what the poster above said. Pay off all your loans first. I learnt that there is incredible power in focusing on doing one thing at a time. If you try to do too many things, you will lose motivation and probably procrastinate so they will never get paid off.

After your debts are paid off, you'll have some serious cash flow to invest because you won't have any payments. So max out your 401k, HSA and back door Roth IRA (you'll probably be over the income limits for a deductible traditional IRA and non back door Roth). At first, I recommend investing in low cost index funds. Individual stocks of course inherently have more risk and volatility so only start doing them when you have a comfortable foundation in index funds.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, so impressed with all of the financially savvy pharmacists in this thread.

What do you folks think about employee stock purchase plans? My company has recently offered the opportunity to buy their shares at a 15% discount...which usually seems like a no brainer. But their stock has been AWFUL the past few years. And the CEO is liquidating his own shares at a very rapid pace... (MCK, if anyone is interested)... but I was just hoping you guys could share if you buy your company`s shares and do you recommend doing so?

What do you folks think about employee stock purchase plans? My company has recently offered the opportunity to buy their shares at a 15% discount...which usually seems like a no brainer. But their stock has been AWFUL the past few years. And the CEO is liquidating his own shares at a very rapid pace... (MCK, if anyone is interested)... but I was just hoping you guys could share if you buy your company`s shares and do you recommend doing so?
Yes I do my company's ESPP. Sometimes you hit the jackpot... and there are probably just as many times that you get hosed. Just like all individual stocks, there is a lot of volatility. It could easily go down more than your 15% discount, sometimes losing 50% for example if you lose a big contract or your profits are declining. So I would only do it after you have maxed out your retirement accounts, and paid off all your loans, so that you are not dependent on this money and can sit on the stock and wait if it goes down.

I maxed out CVS ESPP when their stock price was in the 110s... Then it plummeted to 60s-70s before I was eligible to sell so that sucked. Luckily I paid off all student loans and maxed out 401k, backdoor Roth, and HSA with index funds like others mentioned. So I can afford to hold and hope it goes back up, or take the loss if I want.

Of course, I knew I was taking a big risk since it's an individual stock. Treat ESPP as an individual stock. I wouldn't invest until all retirement accounts are maxed out with diversified index funds and student loans are paid off. Then after that, no more than 5% of your net worth should go into a single stock.

Last edited:
Who is getting the new roadster?

Who is getting the new roadster?
That all depends on how well my lithium index does over the next three years.

The car looks amazing. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. Maybe we can get together and work out a timeshare with one?

If you spend $200,000 on a car you are either worth 8 figures or a *****.
Why eight figures? What would that be like 2.5k to 3k a month with the ridiculous down payment? I made that off dividends alone.

That all depends on how well my lithium index does over the next three years.

The car looks amazing. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. Maybe we can get together and work out a timeshare with one?

Pull in a third person and you have a deal

Bought two Essential Phones for $145 each through Sprint. Never buy a phone unless it's Thanksgiving time. The sales are always unbelievable on the slower selling models.

Bought two Essential Phones for $145 each through Sprint. Never buy a phone unless it's Thanksgiving time. The sales are always unbelievable on the slower selling models.
What phone? I'm using a Moto G5 that I bought last year for about $200 and it's great. I think I'm a firm supporter of budget phones these days.

What phone? I'm using a Moto G5 that I bought last year for about $200 and it's great. I think I'm a firm supporter of budget phones these days.
Essential phone is a 2017 android flagship phone with snapdragon 835, specs similar to note 8, oneplus 5. It's a good deal, they always have the installment deal with no contract if you pay it off a couple times in a yr. If you luck out and manage to catch them on slickdeals. Last time, it was LG G5 and G6 for $120.

I'm still rocking G4 with extended 10,000 amp battery lmao. Screen on time 12h+ try to beat that :) Will upgrade in 2 yrs, I'm loving my extended battery, they seem to do away with removable back plate and no headphone jack. The most you can add to extend your battery is a crappy battery case types. Once your battery goes to sh1t in 1 yr of heavy use, the phone is dead.

Actually, I'll wait until the manufacturing process goes down a notch to 7nm dies silicon. 835 is manufactured with 10nm. It will be even greater improvement once they go down to 7nm. We are nearing the to point of diminishing return on phones nowadays. You don't need to upgrade as often.

It came out in August for $700...cut to $500 a few weeks ago. Apple completely ripped off its design for the iPhone X. It's actually a great phone, but nobody really knows about it.

Does anyone want to follow my adventures in crypto? I can post what I buy and at what prices. I'll post quarterly updates. You guys can laugh at me when I lose all my money or ...

I put $5000 yesterday into iota at $2.5 per coin. I plan on putting another $5000.

This week im going to put $10000 into ripple. Within the next 2 months, ill split $10000 among litecoin, monero, or qash. So total ill have $30000 in crypto.

I believe ripple and iota have a bright future so am buying and holding those two.