The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Amazon hasn't moved in three months, every dip is a buying opportunity. It's only a matter of time before the next leg up.

Use cvs and wba espp but sell immediately. There's no point in owning these companies.

Members don't see this ad.

Gamble on RAD. Easiest trade of the decade they said?! Maybe, it will triple this time. Looks cheap!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Trading account up big this year, loving this bubble of a market! It pays to trade.

Just need some tax reform and hopefully this market can go a few more years and I can retire plus protect until the next crash.

Anyone watch XXII? They are a biotech company that has patented and created GMO tobacco that possesses extremely low quantities of nicotine. It's believed that the FDA is heading this direction with cigarettes in the near future to help wean people off regular tobacco products. Possibly the smoking cessation of the future? We will see. I've been investing for a while and it dipped hard recently (time to buy).

My brokerage account currently holds:
BABA (long term hold by far the most shares)
EDIT (I've traded this twice bought in 17s sold in the 20s was once as high as $46 when my gf bought it...yikes, now going to hold long term)
CRSR (selling in the 20s)
NTLA (another gene editing company just like EDIT AND CRSR using CrispR techology)
RAD (bought at $1.96)
SHOP (recent dip, bought more and buying more tomorrow in the 90s)
F (Long term hold plus dividends)
TSLA (love trading TSLA, the stock seems to go up every time Elon speaks)
NVDA, AAPL, (tech stocks)

I have more but this most of them. BABA and EDIT are my babies up around 50%.

LEts go RAD!

Attachments

• 44125EF8-3DFE-4076-948B-4EB7E7C38098.png
    44125EF8-3DFE-4076-948B-4EB7E7C38098.png
    94 KB · Views: 38
My brokerage account has the following stocks
  • ATVI - Activision
  • BP - British Petroleum (I bought 41 shares 10 cents above its 5 year low)
  • KR - Kroger Grocery Store
  • ORC - Orchid Island Real Estate
  • TSLA - Tesla
  • UAA - Under Armour (holding this for the long term, currently down $600 but they're about to become the official uniform company of MLB)

My brokerage account currently holds:
BABA (long term hold by far the most shares)
EDIT (I've traded this twice bought in 17s sold in the 20s was once as high as $46 when my gf bought it...yikes, now going to hold long term)
CRSR (selling in the 20s)
NTLA (another gene editing company just like EDIT AND CRSR using CrispR techology)
RAD (bought at $1.96)
SHOP (recent dip, bought more and buying more tomorrow in the 90s)
F (Long term hold plus dividends)
TSLA (love trading TSLA, the stock seems to go up every time Elon speaks)
NVDA, AAPL, (tech stocks)

I have more but this most of them. BABA and EDIT are my babies up around 50%.
My brokerage account has the following stocks
  • ATVI - Activision
  • BP - British Petroleum (I bought 41 shares 10 cents above its 5 year low)
  • KR - Kroger Grocery Store
  • ORC - Orchid Island Real Estate
  • TSLA - Tesla
  • UAA - Under Armour (holding this for the long term, currently down $600 but they're about to become the official uniform company of MLB)

Holy cow you guys are old. I didn't think people still traded stocks. Everyone is trying crypto currencies on exchanges like bittrex.com and coinbase.com. Boomer trade stocks and are happy with 4% a year while people are making 30-50% a year trying crypto.

I made 7,000 USD PROFIT trading XLM in one day just a few days ago on 10-15-2017. IBM announced a partnership with Stellar Lumens.

Closed Date Opened Date Market Type Bid/Ask Units Filled Units Total Actual Rate Cost / Proceeds
10/16/2017 10:40 10/16/2017 10:40 BTC-XLM Limit Sell 0.00000695 102511.803 102511.8 6.94E-06 0.710676
10/16/2017 10:39 10/16/2017 10:38 BTC-XLM Limit Sell 0.00000699 16156.6908 118668.5 6.98E-06 0.112653
10/16/2017 10:38 10/16/2017 10:36 BTC-XLM Limit Sell 0.00000709 212044.8107 330713.3 7.08E-06 1.499639
10/15/2017 22:13 10/15/2017 22:09 BTC-XLM Limit Buy 0.00000344 330713.3045 330713.3 3.43E-06 -1.1405

I'm up over 190,000 USD for the year so far.

Last edited:
I made over $30,000 by speculating sand coin this week alone.

I made over $30,000 by speculating sand coin this week alone.
Nice buy! I don't enter a position in such small cap coins though. The varience is too high for me to stomach. The lowest marketcap i'll dip in is 50,000,000 USD. Sand coin is like under 2 mil

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy cow you guys are old. I didn't think people still traded stocks. Everyone is trying crypto currencies on exchanges like bittrex.com and coinbase.com. Boomer trade stocks and are happy with 4% a year while people are making 30-50% a year trying crypto.

I made 7,000 USD PROFIT trading XLM in one day just a few days ago on 10-15-2017. IBM announced a partnership with Stellar Lumens.

Closed Date Opened Date Market Type Bid/Ask Units Filled Units Total Actual Rate Cost / Proceeds
10/16/2017 10:40 10/16/2017 10:40 BTC-XLM Limit Sell 0.00000695 102511.803 102511.8 6.94E-06 0.710676
10/16/2017 10:39 10/16/2017 10:38 BTC-XLM Limit Sell 0.00000699 16156.6908 118668.5 6.98E-06 0.112653
10/16/2017 10:38 10/16/2017 10:36 BTC-XLM Limit Sell 0.00000709 212044.8107 330713.3 7.08E-06 1.499639
10/15/2017 22:13 10/15/2017 22:09 BTC-XLM Limit Buy 0.00000344 330713.3045 330713.3 3.43E-06 -1.1405

I'm up over 190,000 USD for the year so far.

Your a P4 and your buying enough Bitcoin to make $190k? Something doesn't add up .

Hey I own a little Bitcoin too

So why pharmacy if you clearly hate it?

I don't hate it at all. It's fun for the most part. I like learning about the psychoactive drugs and receptors. I,m trying to increase my social status to improve my chances of finding my future wife. The last gf I had just used me for money and would spend like 5k a month on clothes and buying things for her friends. One time we went to the mall and she spent 1,000 USD in one day. That was like 8 years ago thou. Have not dated a girl since unless you count 2D waifus. I really wanna try to date 3D again. Trying to get a more respected job, get in better shape and try to get my mental health even better.

Does anyone invest in cryptocurrency? I'm thinking of taking the plunge into Ripple or Litecoin. I'm talking a good chunk of change ($10,000+).

I have to add that I'll only invest what I can afford to lose. If I lose $10,000, i'll be sad for a month (ok, maybe a few months), but it's still less than 5% of my portfolio.

Last edited:
Bubble bubble bubble

Crypto is stupid. There are literally thousands if not more crypto out there, you can make your own crypto. There is no guarantee they will be around in the future. One or two gonna win out or all will bust completely with a simple policy change from the gov. Gov can even issue their own crypto. Not saying there is no potential, clearly there is money to be made. If you feel lucky, you should gamble $10-100k on one, maybe you become multi millionaires, maybe you won't. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
It's all the money he saved from living out of a car. Keep up, gramps!
LOL I’m happy for you. I knew a guy who traded options for years. He made a million and more trading options. He was all about it. Then, in a short period of time, he lost it all. Just don’t put all your eggs in once basket okay? I’m playing the long-term game with rental properties, stocks, 401ks and IRAs that get maxed out lll each year. Hope I see you around in 10 years.

The issue with crypto is when will the bubble pop? This could double, triple, etc before it happens or you could lose a ton tomorrow.

Investing in anything other than bitcoin is straight up gambling. Even then, bitcoin's true value is $0

LOL I’m happy for you. I knew a guy who traded options for years. He made a million and more trading options. He was all about it. Then, in a short period of time, he lost it all. Just don’t put all your eggs in once basket okay? I’m playing the long-term game with rental properties, stocks, 401ks and IRAs that get maxed out lll each year. Hope I see you around in 10 years.
I think you quoted the wrong guy.

I'm not touching cryptocurrencies with a 10 foot barge pole. The only thing they operate on is the greater fool principle. Limit the supply and hype up the demand from greater fools to push up the price. When you eventually run out of fools (could take a while with a seemingly endless supply of fools), the money inflows will dry up, or something happens that causes people to draw their money out en masse, then the bubble will burst.

Unless the point is to buy services or goods not advertised on the phonebook, which is what these are for. Fortunately, block chain analysis works when we're interested in busting the major illegal transactions.

I'm not touching cryptocurrencies with a 10 foot barge pole. The only thing they operate on is the greater fool principle. Limit the supply and hype up the demand from greater fools to push up the price. When you eventually run out of fools (could take a while with a seemingly endless supply of fools), the money inflows will dry up, or something happens that causes people to draw their money out en masse, then the bubble will burst.

Holy **** dude. For real??

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hah.. no. I'm throwing all of my non-retirement investing cash into SCHB, LIT, and BOTZ. I'm still getting very good returns on my pet ETFs, and the broad market is performing respectably as well.

Anybody else use this Mint app?

Handy as hell if you want a bird's eye view of everything.

And you can set a widget to tell you your net worth in real time. It's pretty cool to see it tick up slowly over time as you pay debt and grow investments.

Reactions: 2 users

And you can set a widget to tell you your net worth in real time. It's pretty cool to see it tick up slowly over time as you pay debt and grow investments.
I use it to track my networth since 2010. I like a real time transaction charge on your cc. I never have to check into individual accounts. But, it's pretty buggy at times at tracking account, sometimes account listed as duplicates and you have to close it manually. It's mostly geared toward budgeting, which I don't really use. Budgetting sucks.

Another great one is personal capital.

Mint is great. How do you set that net worth widget?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Another great one is personal capital.

I tried that one, but it wouldn't work with my CVS 401k plan. That and they called me like every other day trying to get me to sign up for their stupid active management investment nonsense. I don't need some douche in an office shaving an income off of my retirement.

I tried that one, but it wouldn't work with my CVS 401k plan. That and they called me like every other day trying to get me to sign up for their stupid active management investment nonsense. I don't need some douche in an office shaving an income off of my retirement.

I got it to work fine...what issue are you having connecting it?

Look at Amazon go!!!!

Almost got the entire year's worth from the s&p500 in one day. Man I love investing in stocks over indexing.

Over 5% of CVS' Large Caps index is Amazon. Us slow and steady wins the race people are making bank, too, brah.

I made that too, brother

The point I make is, you might as well make more on your extra savings.

So since it’s a bull’s market at the moment, would you wait for things to cool down a bit or would you start investing right now using dollar cost averaging strategy? What is the common strategy among investors if you are far from retiring? Thanks!
Start dollar cost averaging right now. If you try to time the market you may find yourself waiting on the sidelines while everyone else is making money.

So since it’s a bull’s market at the moment, would you wait for things to cool down a bit or would you start investing right now using dollar cost averaging strategy? What is the common strategy among investors if you are far from retiring? Thanks!

Timing the market is impossible. If you did DCA over time starting in January rather than just splashing it all at once, you'd have lost a lot of money. It's all guessing.

Might as well just put it all in and just pay attention to what's going on. If tax reform occurs, we are going a lot higher.

So, been doing some research on investment. And this is the direction I think is appropriate. Feel free to critique:

1. Max out 401K, HSA and Roth IRA (all in 2055 target retirement funds).
2. For taxable investments, open up Vanguard brokerage account and invest in standard three-fund portfolio as follows:

80% Stocks
-48% VTSMX
-32% VGTSX
20% Bonds
-VBMFX

Does it seem alright or should I diversify my portfolio more? I am 29 and debt-free. Planning on investing using DCA monthly.