The Inaugural ATSU COM-Mesa Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

Does anyone needs a roommate close to campus? If you have a place and needs roommates, please let me know: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like car theft is popular in AZ. I looked at the reviews for all the apartments on the list they gave us and it seems that there wasn't a single one that didn't have at least one mention of car theft if not multiple mentions. I think I'm going to bring The Club w/ me.

It sounds like car theft is popular in AZ. I looked at the reviews for all the apartments on the list they gave us and it seems that there wasn't a single one that didn't have at least one mention of car theft if not multiple mentions. I think I'm going to bring The Club w/ me.

I've been trying to get my Mercury POS stolen for as long as I've lived here and nobody will take it!

Members don't see this ad :)
WASHINGTON - A violent crime spike in four cities led the Justice Department on Friday to dispatch additional teams of federal agents to combat guns, gangs or surging murder rates in Mesa, Ariz.; Orlando, Fla.; San Bernardino, Calif., and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Yikes!!

Hey all, I'm sitting in the library of SOMA right now. I'm in town looking at places and hoped to see the new DO wing, but it's still under construction so I couldn't go in. Mesa is as sunny and beautiful as it was on interview day. I'm planning on checking out about 10 aptartments from the list they gave us. I'll post a summary of the places I go to when I get back home.

Anybody else interested in the email that Joyce sent out about the dental grad renting out her house next year? It looks really nice, and if you split the 4 bedroom rent up three ways you would still be cheaper than most apts I have found. I called her yesterday and she said she wants to rent to 1 DO/Dental/PA student and they can sublet how they see fit. If anybody is interested at throwing in with me, pm me or call at 281-731-1880. I think we have to jump on this before someone else does. Did I mention the house has a pool??

Hello all,
Visited some apartments yesterday in Mesa, and decided on Lakeview at Superstition Springs. Looked at a couple of other places, but liked Lakeview. It was definitely the biggest complex (700 units) and has some nice amenities. For the price, it is more "roomier" than the others, although the others visited had slightly nicer apartments (e.g. granite countertops, fancy molding, etc.) These apartments are basically all the same with just a small little nuance here or there, and the prices are relatively close. The entire area is nice as i'm sure you all saw on interview day, with restaurants and blah blah. Not sure about the car stealing, but I am "connected" if someone needs to walk out one morning and say "Welp, better call my insurance". For everybody scared to now sit with me in class I'm joking. For anybody coming to visit email me so we can meet up for lunch.

Also, it seems that people might want to plan on bbq'ing or something around the second week of July. Any objections?

I'm back from my 3 day apartment hunt! I'll through in my 2 cents. Of the 7-8 places I visited, I'll give you my top three picks:

1) San Montero (1 month free + other deals)
2) San Montego (2 month free + other deals) (closest to school)
3) The Polo Club ($500 off, 2 pools)

All the living communities in the area offer pretty much the same amenities, but these stood out based on these criteria:

1) Facilities were a lot more upkept
2) Close to school
3) Across from shopping areas, so you won't be looking at an empty sand lot each time you pull out (developed areas supposedly mean less bugs too)
4) The fitness centers had more equipment than others
5) Online reviews didn't have any major gripes (ie. no roaches, scorpions, drug dealers, or dog pooh reported)

PM me if you want more info, or to hear about places I didn't like as much.

Good luck with the house hunt everyone!

Joyce still sends out emails, does she? I feel out of the loop. I haven't received any emails from her since mid-April. Anything in particular I should know, any big announcments?

Joyce still sends out emails, does she? I feel out of the loop. I haven't received any emails from her since mid-April. Anything in particular I should know, any big announcments?

She's sent an updated e-mail sheet and a bare bones orientation schedule since then. Are you checking your @atsu.edu address on the Portal?

She's sent an updated e-mail sheet and a bare bones orientation schedule since then. Are you checking your @atsu.edu address on the Portal?

Well, that's where I think the problems is. I check my atsu account at least once a day and I have yet to have a single message in my inbox. That doesn't sound right so I guess I better see what's up with the HelpDesk.

I was never given an atsu.edu account. How did you obtain that??

Members don't see this ad :)
I was never given an atsu.edu account. How did you obtain that??

Within a few weeks of recieving your first deposit the tech support sends an e-mail with your account details and instructions on how to log into the ATSU portal.

I was able to view my loan award using the link they sent us. I then spent about two hours filling out loan forms on line, printing copies for myself and signing promisary notes electronically. The only thing I'll have to mail in is the direct deposit forms to both the school and my loan provider.

Give yourself ample time to go through it.

You might want a stiff drink within arms length. The sticker shock is enormous! Looks like there's no backing out now...

gday there all,

my name is sunpreet and i just got into the seattle chc...my #1 preference...cheers to joyce n atsu

bc i dont have access to the portal yet i was hoping to find someone to room with for the upcoming year and/or maybe go apartment hunting sometime soon

from the oc n origially from australia so look forward to gettin to know my fellow classmates, all the best

cheers,
sunpreet

gday there all,

my name is sunpreet and i just got into the seattle chc...my #1 preference...cheers to joyce n atsu

bc i dont have access to the portal yet i was hoping to find someone to room with for the upcoming year and/or maybe go apartment hunting sometime soon

from the oc n origially from australia so look forward to gettin to know my fellow classmates, all the best

cheers,
sunpreet

Congrats sunpreet! Were you waitlisted or was this the initial invitation?

this was after i was initially 'accepted pending a seat' in late april. it shows that theres hope yet. if anyone needs any more information, please feel free to email me at [email protected] cheers

Brooklyn, New York: rarekare, igtx, eastwestn2grt, TXkfo
Beaufort, South Carolina: hopefuldoc40, docmcdocerson, ducqui
Troy, Alabama: CO2003, emt2DO, origen84
Milford, Ohio: Xoynx, jenny10, milford DO
Flagstaff, Arizona: jfeyko, jacksonium78, gildas
Phoenix, Arizona: redcuilapa, SoonerChick, hancock81
Tucson, Arizona: rpinnell, aberkovi
Visalia, California: stringerbell, ifpx181, capucino123, nittanylion79
Woodburn, Oregon: inthe415, gonnabeob, oskibear
Seattle, Washington: builttorock, greenshirt, romadanny, emtech26, HutchD, aussieman
Waianae, Hawaii: dseattle, soccergrl03, md/do almost, v-lander, doctortravel, vmi07

Brooklyn, New York: rarekare, igtx, eastwestn2grt, TXkfo
Visalia, California: ifpx181, capucino123, nittanylion79
Seattle, Washington: builttorock, greenshirt, romadanny, emtech26, HutchD, aussieman
Waianae, Hawaii: dseattle, soccergrl03, md/do almost, v-lander, doctortravel, vmi07

I have withdrawn from ATSU-SOMA after a period of deliberation. It was a tough decision, considering I had my first-choice CHC. I have removed myself from the above list, under the Visalia, CA CHC. Good luck to everyone in July and beyond!

The Kirksville campus just sent us information regarding health insurance. The minimum requirements they list are slighty different than what was listed on the form we received in the acceptance packet. So if you already purchased insurance you may need to make changes. I guess this is the first of the "new school kinks" we'll have to deal with.

aberkovi - I also didn't get an email account for a very long time. Tech support had record of sending the email to me, but it somehow didn't reach me. You can email them at helpdesk.atsu.edu and they'll quickly take care of it.

Hi everybody,
I have rented a beautiful 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 car garage home. It is located 10 minutes from school in a nice neghborhood. It is a spacious, comfortable home with a big den and a great yard with a swimming pool and barbeque. Rent will be $525 (including pool and yard service) plus utilities. So far it is me and another DO student, Brandi. I am from Seattle and Brandi is from Texas. I'm pretty laid back and clean and we have no pets. We are looking for 2 other DO students, male or female, who would like to share this great find with us. Please email or call me if you are interested and I can send you pictures. We are looking to find roomates as soon as possible! Oh and by the way, I just got back from Az and our wing of the school is looking good!
Excited to meet you,
Jessica :hello:

[email protected]

hey sorry i've been m.i.a. for a month...limited internet connection during my vacation. looks like the ball is definately rolling faster with no moss or something like that. when are folks planning to move in? i'm shooting for after the 16th and found a house with 2 other somados. congrats to newer students!

I just got the tablet! It's sooooo cool! Very light and small. I guess it's not the end of the world that I never learned to type, b/c now I can just use the stylus to write. It's very good at recognizing writing, except for names.

Brooklyn, New York: rarekare, igtx, eastwestn2grt, TXkfo, bbqbakedlays
Visalia, California: ifpx181, capucino123, nittanylion79

I am so excited.....won't be moving there until July 23rd or later. Trying to work up to the last minute!

Anyway....I like Lakeview at Superstition Springs the best so far, but that could change. :)

Cannot wait to see you all on July 30th!

Peace!

Congrats bbqbakedlays! Just recently admitted or just posting for the first time?

I was admitted on June 8th.....interviewed on the 7th.

From what Joyce said, it was the last open spot for the class at the time (only NY campus had a slot)! I am so excited. However, she did say that there were spots that had been given out but were still in limbo (waiting for the reciept of deposits...etc) for those who are waitlisted still.

I have been watching and all over SDN, I just do not normally like to post. Plus I was waitlisted everywhere and was just expecting another waitlist but I finally got one acceptance!!!!

I have to say, I am really excited about the curriculum. I interviewed at a few other MD and DO programs and none can compare to the amount of simulators, technology, and innovation of this program. I cannot wait until July 30th!

I unfortunately have to work right up until we start because I need the money, so I won't be able to join in any bbqing before class starts!!! I have been out of college for four years so I am a bit nervous about diving back into the studying....any one else been out a while or nervous??:eek:

I think I am going to rent at Lakeview at superstition springs, seems like the best for me. It is a good price and they allow dogs (I am bringing my 7 pound chiweenie to keep me company).

Cannot wait to meet you all soon!

Take Care,

Courtney

Courtney, I can definitely relate.

I just did the biomed postbac program at PCOM in Philadelphia to raise my GPA to get into med school. I was a bit worried going into it having been out of school for a few years; however, I didn't let that deter me.

The thing that helped the most was being organized. I found some wonderful study partners who also had their heads 100% in the game. If only I had figured this out as an undergad. ( I was often up late, but rarely studying) This time around I learned to relish the late nights of self-absorbed studying, the camaraderie of study groups and the satisfaction of doing well.

Also, I did all of those things they tell you to do:

- I made a study schedule detailing what and how I would study each day of the semester in order to meet all of the paper due dates, exams and presentations. I also scheduled in when I would exercise, eat, sleep, spend time with friends, etc.

- I preread and took notes about topics before the lectures/labs and then focused in the lectures on understanding and tying things together, instead of passively learning/forgetting knowledge.

- I reviewed lectures right away. I even got paid to be a scribe (make outlines from MP3s of the lectures) and publish them online.

- I made sure to spend plenty of time studying and reviewing with other classmates to fill in the gaps in my own understanding.

- I asked professors for clarification. (something I never did as an undergraduate)

As the 1st D.O. class we are in a great position. There are high expectations for us, and with that I believe we'll be given a great deal of support. They really want us to do well. Especially since its new and innovative, they want to prove that there model of medical education works. There has been so much time, money and energy invested in new curriculum, buildings, technology, and establishing relations with the CHCs; all of that work is contigent on us suceeding.

Of course none of us really know yet what its going to be like. My roomate is in the PA program ( they started a few weeks ago) and she says it very intense, but that she is loving it. So get ready!

And of course I'm still anxious and a bit nervous.

Hey everyone,
Got a question for those who have ordered and received their tablet pcs within the last couple of weeks. How long did it take from order to receiving it? Also, anyone decide to go with any of the extra equipment? I hear lots of talk of not needing an optical drive aka DVD burner but for me it's a must! If any of you have added that option, what did you get and how are you liking it? Thanks

Hey everyone,
Got a question for those who have ordered and received their tablet pcs within the last couple of weeks. How long did it take from order to receiving it? Also, anyone decide to go with any of the extra equipment? I hear lots of talk of not needing an optical drive aka DVD burner but for me it's a must! If any of you have added that option, what did you get and how are you liking it? Thanks

I got mine on Monday and it took about 4 business days for it to get to me (but I live close to Chicago, so it didn't have to ship far). I'm going to try to find a cheaper DVD burner at Best Buy or some place. The only thing I wish I had ordered was a bag. The laptop is considerably smaller than others, so it's going to rattle around in the carrying case I have.

i ordered mine way back, and if you are the leftcoast, then it comes w/in 3 days. the external dvd-rw I got w/ Lenovo is pretty cool, and can run off USB alone. pretty good speeds, really portable, and you only use it when you need it, plus it can be used w/ any PC, so for desktops (if you don't have one already on it). in terms of cases, I got a Timbuk2 sleeve size small, fits nice (especially with the weird shape), and with extra cushion for the pushin.

Isn't there an option to add an internal DVD drive to our laptops? Did anyone do that?

Nope no option for an internal drive. Tablets are designed to be light weight so they design them so that if you want a drive it needs to be external.

Well, my last tablet (toshiba) had one and I loved having it so I thought I'd ask. I called our sales rep lady Sue and she said you can get an internal one installed in the docking station, but I'm not about to buy the station AND a DVD drive.

Y'all might be ok with no optical drive but I gotta play my Kelly Slater Pro Surfer in between classes!

I ordered my computer on Tuesday Am and also ordered the carrying case as well as the non-lenovo brand external dvd drive (it was $100 cheaper then the lenovo brand). The sleeve and the dvd drive arrived this afternoon and I live in Cali!

Sue said the computer is in stock so it shipped tues (the order day) and would arrive in 1-2 business days. I was excited because I thought six weeks!

I will let you all know when I actually get it!

Take Care!

About the tablet...

Buying a drive from lenovo is expensive. Go with an aftermarket.

GET A BACKPACK CARRYING CASE! The other one's break, and then your computer falls, and then it breaks, and then you are sunk! (I've seen it happen twice in a year here at KCOM).

This is for Courtney (and anyone else contemplating moving in the day before school):

School starts hard and fast. I HIGHLY recommend you move in at least two weeks early. You will probably make no more than $1500 in those two weeks. Remember, you are going to be over $200,000 in debt when all is said and done. A little piece of mind is worth $1500.

I moved in the week of school, and it was a huge mistake. We were still unpacking the house over Thanksgiving break!

Cheers!

Sign up on atsudo.org with your ATSU email account. You will be joining the other 420 ATSU students (as well as the other 40 students from the class of 2011) that already use the site on a daily basis.

Thanks for the heads up Viking......I am going to do my best to get there as soon as I can you make some valid points.

BTW I love the website (previous post)! What a huge help on some of the information and what to expect. I definately will want the help of ambassador students to move in when it is 120 degrees at the end of July!

If you get anymore info or sites that might help, that would be great! I am so excited and cannot get enough info right now about it all!

Hey everyone, if you haven't checked your e-mail recently, Joyce sent out an e-mail saying we need to have our size choice for our white coat by this Friday. I've e-mailed her to find out if she has measurement info on the sizes. Picking out coats for our ceremony....so exciting!

any luck on getting the sizes and/or the dress code? also do you think SOMA will use the same company for their white coats as KCOM? its worth checkin with students there. i think i may have been a size medium (they fitted us during their interview), and i am a 40short.

any luck on getting the sizes and/or the dress code? also do you think SOMA will use the same company for their white coats as KCOM? its worth checkin with students there. i think i may have been a size medium (they fitted us during their interview), and i am a 40short.

Joyce didn't have the size info, but I looked up a couple of lab coat size charts from different brands and estimated my size. I actually wrapped a piece of tape around me at work today to measure myself. LOL, My co-workers think I'm strange.

Here's what the average measurements seemed to be:

Women (based on 4 brands)
XS (2-6): 32-34" bust
S (8-10): 35-37" bust
M (12-14): 37.5-39" bust
L (16-18): 40-43" bust
XL (20-20W): 44.5-46.5" bust

Men (based on 3 brands)
XS (30-32) chest
S (34-36) chest
M (38-40) chest
L (42-44) chest
XL (46-48) chest

It's a little easier for men, b/c you essentially go by your suit size. Again these are just ball park figures based on my research. It seems like scrubs always run big. I'm assuming that it also goes for lab coats and erring on the smaller side. Worse case scenario: the seam in the back splits b/c it's too small or your sleeves have to be rolled up b/c it's too big.

Hey all, I just emailed Joyce with my coat size and asked about scrubs. I got a reply "Dress code to come soon." Really, we have to be there in a month...some of us want to buy stuff before orientation. Grrr.

Hey all, I just emailed Joyce with my coat size and asked about scrubs. I got a reply "Dress code to come soon." Really, we have to be there in a month...some of us want to buy stuff before orientation. Grrr.

I know! I e-mailed her about it today too. How hard can it be to decide if you want a dress code? If it's scrubs it'll be easy enough to just buy a bunch at once, but if it's something like business casual, that'll take longer to build.

I was thinking the same thing! Won't it be hot for the white coat ceremony... 10 in the am is still Scorching in Mesa. ..I think 110°. We should call it a wet coat ceremony!:laugh:

I cannot believe it is July on Sunday! Let the count down begin... T-minus 32 days!:scared:

Cannot wait to meet all of you!

Check your emails! We got a book list, dress code and orientation schedule. Books are pricey! If anyone can figure out where we're supposed to order them from let me know. I need to get shopping for some new clothes. And I think it stinks that we have to buy their scrubs. I'm sure they're more expensive than regular scrubs and I'm pretty sure that the other programs don't have to wear special ones.

Check your emails! We got a book list, dress code and orientation schedule. Books are pricey! If anyone can figure out where we're supposed to order them from let me know. I need to get shopping for some new clothes. And I think it stinks that we have to buy their scrubs. I'm sure they're more expensive than regular scrubs and I'm pretty sure that the other programs don't have to wear special ones.

Thanks for the update Jenny!

I think the dress code is a good idea. And this is from a guy who was reluctant to take out his eyebrow ring for med school interviews.

Because this is a brand new school, they have the opportunity to shape its reputation. So yeah I'll head to the thrift store and buy a few pairs of khakis and collared shirts.

The book list is much more interesting. Hopefully there are some good used copies on half.com or amazon. Are people planning on buying all the books or just the required?

We are likely to have Friday of orientation week off. Maybe we should organize some "getting to know you" activities. We could have a kickball tournament betweens CHCs groups or a talent show where each group has to act out a scene from a movie or something. There's got to be some former camp couselors out there.

(On a side note- I predict a big Seattle/Portland Rivalry and a lot of trash talking between Brooklyn and Hawaii.)

Alright guys, I figured out how to order the Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins Books with the discount. I guess Joyce's email didn't have a link. Go to LWW.com and search for the texts you need. After you add them to the shopping cart, go in and enter the promo code WXP0102D. It gives you the 20% discount, I tried it and it worked. By the way, as far as the dress code goes, NO HATS! I can't live/study/take tests/etc without my hat(s). My beat up Houston Astros cap is for religious purposes as far as I'm concerned.

Hey all! I bought some of my books on Overstock.com and saved a bundle, too. Plus shipping for a huge order was still only $3. Some are also mega cheap on alibris, if it helps.