The Inaugural ATSU COM-Mesa Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm doing it on the June 7th date (since we need to send in a copy of our certification by June 15th). It's sponsored by the Mesa Fire Dept. and I signed up via the web site cprinstruction.com It's only $25 which seems like a good deal compared to the Red Cross and some other places I have looked at.

Do you know if this is a recertification (4 hr) class or a certification (full-day) class? I have a current card that expires in August, and I'd like to just a re-cert if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a full certification class but only lasts a couple of hours (from 6-9 I think?) I unfortunately let my certification expire about a year ago. Oops :(

I just signed up for my CPR class in Mesa today, and I just thought I would post the link to the program I am getting certified through. Thought maybe I could meet some of you folks there if you needed to get certified as well. I'm doing it on the June 7th date (since we need to send in a copy of our certification by June 15th). It's sponsored by the Mesa Fire Dept. and I signed up via the web site cprinstruction.com It's only $25 which seems like a good deal compared to the Red Cross and some other places I have looked at.

Let me know if any of you are going to join me! I look forward to meeting some of you, possibly.

Thanks a bunch Ducqui, I just registered for the class on May 19th. I would go for June 7th but I work on thursdays.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wanted to clarify some of the dates....

cpr certification due by june 15?

insurance/immunizations due...?

oh and i'm going to second the question someone posed earlier, anyone have the link to the visalia, ca chc?

thanks for your help! one more final and i'm done.....

The immunizations and health insurance info. is due June 15th as well - they are on the same form. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Visalia CHC though, but I'm sure someone on here can help you out with that.

I'll be at the May 19th class in mesa too. See you there.

Im taking a guess here, but I searched the National Assoc. for Comm. Health Centers site--those who do not know this organization yet, you should get to know them soon, since they were the org who sparked the idea of our medical school to ATSU. I guess we could almost say they are one of SOMAs parents(mother, maybe???:p or possibly father?? ) Here is there web site:

http://www.nachc.com/

Anyways, I searched for Visalia and came up with this health center:

http://www.fhcn.org/

I am pretty sure this is the Visalia CHC, since it was the only one that came up on NACHC, but forgive me if Im wrong!!

Have any of you received any information regarding the health insurance that will be offered by the school? Do you guys know or have an idea of where you guys are getting insurance?

The immunizations and health insurance info. is due June 15th as well - they are on the same form. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Visalia CHC though, but I'm sure someone on here can help you out with that.

Hello Guys,
Has anyone found an good and cheap Insurance provider yet. I am still looking for one.

Have any of you received any information regarding the health insurance that will be offered by the school? Do you guys know or have an idea of where you guys are getting insurance?

I heard it is kind of expensive

Two of us (1DO and 1PA) are flying in from San Francisco on Thursday to scope out apartments.

We figured it should just take a few days to find an apartment. Her program starts a month earlier than ours.

Let me know if anyone is going to be around Friday or Saturday and wants to grab lunch or coffee with us. We'd also appreciate any advice about renting a house/apt.

This place looks alright and its close to school.
http://lakeviewatsuperstitionsprings.com/Twin_Lakes.aspx

Go Warriors!

So I got the call from Joyce today!:D I've been assigned to the Troy, AL CHC. I'm originally from Houston, TX and have been living beautiful central Florida for the last 2 years. I work in the ER, and used to work on the ambulance (kind of an adrenaline junkie). I'm still waiting on my packet so I can get my laptop etc., and I wanted to know if the ATSU portal has resources on it for getting a roommate and finding housing. My finances are pretty limited and I don't know if I can afford another trip down there just to look at apts. Also if anybody is interested in a roomie, pm me. Finally I guess here is the updated CHC list as of today. Thanks, Josh

Brooklyn, New York: rarekare, igtx, eastwestn2grt, TXkfo
Beaufort, South Carolina: hopefuldoc40, docmcdocerson, ducqui
Troy, Alabama: CO2003, emt2DO
Milford, Ohio: Xoynx, jenny10
Flagstaff, Arizona: jfeyko, jacksonium78, gildas
Phoenix, Arizona: redcuilapa, SoonerChick
Tucson, Arizona: rpinnell, aberkovi
Visalia, California: stringerbell, ifpx181, capucino123, nittanylion79
Woodburn, Oregon: inthe415, gonnabeob, oskibear
Seattle, Washington: builttorock, greenshirt, romadanny, emtech26, HutchD
Waianae, Hawaii: dseattle, soccergrl03, md/do almost, v-lander, doctortravel, vmi07

Hi everyone,

If anyone has already found a place to live (apartment wise) or knows of some good apartment complexes in the area, could you pass along the info?

I'm heading down to Mesa next week (22-24) to look at apartments and any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

-Nilofer

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

If anyone has already found a place to live (apartment wise) or knows of some good apartment complexes in the area, could you pass along the info?

I'm heading down to Mesa next week (22-24) to look at apartments and any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

-Nilofer

My wife and I took a 1BR with den at Sandbridge Apts, about a mile down Baseline. They're beautiful but a little pricey, but at least we won't have to buy a second car--even in 120-degree heat, I can easily bike a mile. Unless, of course, some sort of Victorian dress code is announced, in which case I'll need CPR every morning.

If you contact Sandbridge, try to do as much communication as possible by fax. Over the phone, they often fudge their math--always in their favor.

the dress code is white tie.

no, really.

actually, it's likely to be business casual (no shorts, t-shirts, or jeans). however, it has not been completely decided upon.

the dress code is white tie.

no, really.

actually, it's likely to be business casual (no shorts, t-shirts, or jeans). however, it has not been completely decided upon.

Source?

Hello all! Just signed up today and decided to make my inaugural post. Currently living in Glendale, AZ, taking classes in the masters of biomedical science at Midwestern (definitely chose SOMA over Midwestern for a few reasons if anyone is interested). Anyway, I am from Oklahoma and will be at the Phoenix site for years 2-4. Have spent many hours at the Phoenix Indian Medical Center (PIMC) the past 5 months and those of you also at this site are in for a treat! You have to ask!

For everyone else, I will be checking out the apartments the first week of June. I know that not all of you can visit housing and might be worried. So, if you have questions, want pictures, or whatever let me know and I'll see what I can do. If nothing else, look forward to meeting you all. Perhaps I'll see a couple of you at the CPR certification June 7. Haven't gotten used to signing on here, so please email me at: [email protected] (even though I go by Chris, not Warren), or [email protected]. Thanks a lot! Congratulations on being accepted to medical school and I look forward to meeting each and every one of you! chris

Milford, Ohio: Xoynx, jenny10
Phoenix, Arizona: redcuilapa, SoonerChick, hancock81
Waianae, Hawaii: dseattle, soccergrl03, md/do almost, v-lander, doctortravel, vmi07

Did anyone hear anything from the financial aid office? Any award letter as of yet?

So I'm wondering, were they actually able to fill the class as they had hoped and if not, how close did they get? I'm wondering, too, how many students will actually end up at each CHC. I guess I could ask but post if you know the answers!

So I'm wondering, were they actually able to fill the class as they had hoped and if not, how close did they get? I'm wondering, too, how many students will actually end up at each CHC. I guess I could ask but post if you know the answers!

From the look of things, OH and AL are going to have very impressive student-teacher ratios.

I spoke to the financial aid office in Kirksville and they said they have not recieved the finalized budget yet, and thus have not sent out award letters. She said within 1-2 weeks.

I had heard that they have filled both the class and the faculty. Because there are 11 CHC's and only 100 students, each CHC will not have 10 students. I don't know how it's broken down either.

Hi Chris,

I'll have to take you up on that offer. I am looking for an appartment that is close to campus (i'll be leaving my car in Indiana). If you find something cheap let me know. Thanks bud.

Can't wait to ditch my job and head to AZ.

Milford, Ohio: Xoynx, jenny10, milford DO

So for those who've already purchased their tablet from CDWG, tell us about it. Like it, hate it? How about the cool software that's supposedly on it specific to our needs in our program. Just curious.

Please do post anything you know about the tablet- ( for those who have ordered it ) - I have yet to purchase it, but I was wondering if there are any recommendations for those of us who are going to get it.

thanks

Any ideas when Fin aid award letters are going out?

I just received an invitation to visit the Porterville/Visalia, CA CHC - judging from the e-mail header, all of the CA CHC-ers have been invited. They are going to provide a 2 night stay, meals, etc. They are inviting us to check out the facilities and interact with the physicians, as well as to get to know the area.

I think that this is a great way tor each out to us and to make us feel welcome, and also shows that ATSU is on the ball, as far as putting things in motion. I was going to make a short visit on my own, but the fact that they have made arrangements for us is exciting! :thumbup:

I'm so incredibly excited! Not only am I getting the opportunity for an osteopathic medical education, but at an A.T. Still University with a brand-new, exciting curriculum.

Has anybody else been accepted yet?
just got accepted today, I am going to be at the Troy site. I am excited as well.

Has anyone visited the Ohio site? :) Just wondering what it was like so drop me line if you did. I am trying to contact Joyce and get some information on this site.

I just received an invitation to visit the Porterville/Visalia, CA CHC - judging from the e-mail header, all of the CA CHC-ers have been invited. They are going to provide a 2 night stay, meals, etc. They are inviting us to check out the facilities and interact with the physicians, as well as to get to know the area.

I think that this is a great way tor each out to us and to make us feel welcome, and also shows that ATSU is on the ball, as far as putting things in motion. I was going to make a short visit on my own, but the fact that they have made arrangements for us is exciting! :thumbup:

LUCKKKEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Man, I wish(hope) all the sites would set up something similar!!I wouldnt mind going back to NYC especially if its on someone elses tab:laugh:

Yeah, all in all, i am very satisfied how on-top-of-things ATSU is about everything. To me it shows this school really thought about and planned SOMA--which makes me happy enough to put a smiley face:)

I took the liberty of adding you, origen84, to the list. Cant help it Im bored in my research lab wasting time on SDN, with no classes, no research and TOOOOO much time.......:sleep:

Troy, Alabama: CO2003, emt2DO, origen84
Milford, Ohio: Xoynx, jenny10, milford DO

Just wondering if anybody has been using the email list that Joyce sent out to talk to other students. I haven't received anything yet from anyone. I guess I'll just have to wait until the school processes my deposits and gives me my password for the portal.
Anyway, little tip: if anyone is having trouble finding affordable health insurance, student services gave me the name of a broker that has been very helpful, and I got a plan that meets the schools requirements for $68 a month. If anyone wants her info, Its Jean Ziebman, 480-451-1500, [email protected].
Congrats on the acceptance Origin84, I'm going to Troy as well.

Quick question for those of you who have already rented apartments in AZ: Is there a non-refundable move-in fee that they charge? It seems like all the deposits are really low, and I keep see "$X00 off move-in fee" promotions. I've only rented in MO and it looks like the process in AZ is a lot more complicated.

Quick question for those of you who have already rented apartments in AZ: Is there a non-refundable move-in fee that they charge? It seems like all the deposits are really low, and I keep see "$X00 off move-in fee" promotions. I've only rented in MO and it looks like the process in AZ is a lot more complicated.

Hey Guys, I just went and sign my lease today. it is at Trails East apts. West of Gilbert Rd and Baseline on Harris Dr. It is pretty cheap ($685 for 2 bed/ 2baths about 900sq ft, everything included except electricity). The place is not luxurious but decent. If you are interested contact the management or Ashley at 480-892-1644

Just wondering if anybody has been using the email list that Joyce sent out to talk to other students. I haven't received anything yet from anyone. I guess I'll just have to wait until the school processes my deposits and gives me my password for the portal.
Anyway, little tip: if anyone is having trouble finding affordable health insurance, student services gave me the name of a broker that has been very helpful, and I got a plan that meets the schools requirements for $68 a month. If anyone wants her info, Its Jean Ziebman, 480-451-1500, [email protected].
Congrats on the acceptance Origin84, I'm going to Troy as well.
See you there, and congratulations as well.

Had you been waitlisted or was this the initial invitation? I am currently waitlisted and just trying to get some info. I have been following up with Joyce on a weekly basis via letters/voice mails/emails, but have yet to hear anything about any further waitlist movement.

Had you been waitlisted or was this the initial invitation? I am currently waitlisted and just trying to get some info. I have been following up with Joyce on a weekly basis via letters/voice mails/emails, but have yet to hear anything about any further waitlist movement.
initial inviation

Hey SOMA,
MilfordDO, I plan to check out the list compiled by SOMA for housing. However, if you find any other posts/listings/etc. let me know and I'll check things out. Let me know if you have any specific questions. My girlfriend and I will definitely make a trip by June 8, and possibly as soon as this Friday. I'm looking for something very close to school and the fitness center that we have a guaranteed membership.

Also, when will everyone be getting to Mesa? I want to set up a time and place for everyone to meet before orientation. Furthermore, if anyone is already in the valley let me know so we can meet up! Adios,
Chris

...When will everyone be getting to Mesa? I want to set up a time and place for everyone to meet before orientation.

I'll be pulling into town with a U-Haul on July 23.

I'll be there the week of July 16 at the latest, possibly even earlier.

Trying to set it up to move as late as possible- assuming about the 15th of July or so..... trying to enjoy the beach life as much as I can before it ends!

My boyfriend and I will be beginning our journey westward on Monday, hopefully arriving Wednesday or Thursday. We're driving the whole way (~2000 miles). It looks like I will probably be staying at a place called Superstition Vista. If anybody is around I could probably use a couple hands to help unload, but I'm not sure yet when my moving truck will arrive, probably not until the following Monday (but hopefully sooner for my sake - not looking forward to sleeping on the ground).

I'm planning on getting into town around July 15th as well. I still have yet to receive the login info so I can get on the site and find a roommate, but I guess I will have make do with the last minute. Also, I got my laptop yesterday, and have been playing with it ever since. It's great!

I'll probably be moving down mid-July. I think meeting up before school sounds like a great idea, BTW!