The 2007 Interview Invites Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stanford...yeah! no word from UCSF yet!

Members don't see this ad.

Busy day today!
Columbia, UVA, UNC
Still waiting on Stanford and the others (UCSF, BWH, MGH) dont seem to be handing them out yet.

Yale-New Haven, Cedars Sinai and Santa Clara Valley today via email/ERAS

still NO stanford, UCLA and UCSD love ;(
oh and no love from BU,Tufts and Scripps Mercy either ;(

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone offered january interview dates for cedars? only nov and dec here.

University of Tennessee Memphis (10/26)
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center (11/2)

I applied to 10 southeast programs and have gotten interviews so far at 8:

Vandy
UAB
Emory
MUSC
Carolinas Med. Center
VCU/MCV
UVA
Wake

Waiting on:
Duke

But as of yesterday, I have been REJECTED at UNC. I liked this program and considered it in my top three for quality and geography preference, and sort of assumed I'd interview there. My stats: Mid tier med school, boards: I-97, II-99, no publications, top 25% of class, B in Medicine clerkship. Anybody got any thoughts here?

Vandy
UAB
Emory
MUSC
Carolinas Med. Center
VCU/MCV
UVA
Wake

Waiting on:
Duke

But as of yesterday, I have been REJECTED at UNC. I liked this program and considered it in my top three for quality and geography preference, and sort of assumed I'd interview there. My stats: Mid tier med school, boards: I-97, II-99, no publications, top 25% of class, B in Medicine clerkship. Anybody got any thoughts here?

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like just one of those things you just can't reason out. Perhaps the "B" in medicine??? Fortunately, you've got a solid list, but I guess the fact that UNC was one of your top 3 makes it sting a bit. Good luck though!

Vandy
UAB
Emory
MUSC
Carolinas Med. Center
VCU/MCV
UVA
Wake

Waiting on:
Duke

More applications this year than the past - almost all med schools have been expanding class sizes, without an appreciable and corresponding increase in residency slots, especially in the "primary care eras". Most of those new and graduating American seniors are NOT filtering into plastics, ENT, ophthal, etc., they are going Internal, possibly FP. The IM field is becoming mild more competitive than in past years - you used to be able to scramble into IM no problem, not so anymore . . . and the competition at the top dog programs, appears to be killer based the few who are posting here - I assume they are representative of most of the candidates for those positions. (For comparisan, wander over to Ophthal forum and look their stats, compare with those getting invites at the big dogs here).

You've got a great batch of interviews - it's just the process . . .

Interviews offered
University of Washington
Virginia Mason-Seattle
Spokane Med Ctr
Legacy Emanuel-Portland
Providence/St. Vincent-Portland
UCSF-Fresno
UC-Irvine
UCLA-San Fernando
Mayo- Az
Banner Good Sam- Phx
U. of Az
U. of Hawaii
U. of Kentucky
Yale

Still waiting on
Oregon Health & Science U.
Providence Med-Portland
UCSF
Stanford
UC-Davis
UCLA
UCSD
Harbor-UCLA
Scripps Mercy- San Diego
Scripps Green- San Diego
Cornell
Columbia
Northwestern

i know... there is a lot but of course i don't plan to interview at most. :D

Vandy
UAB
Emory
MUSC
Carolinas Med. Center
VCU/MCV
UVA
Wake

Waiting on:
Duke

I agree with some of the other comments that it might be the B in Medicine. Very picky I have to say, as it sounds as if you are an excellent candidate. You have really good list though so don't sweat about it. :)

More applications this year than the past - almost all med schools have been expanding class sizes, without an appreciable and corresponding increase in residency slots, especially in the "primary care eras". Most of those new and graduating American seniors are NOT filtering into plastics, ENT, ophthal, etc., they are going Internal, possibly FP. The IM field is becoming mild more competitive than in past years - you used to be able to scramble into IM no problem, not so anymore . . . and the competition at the top dog programs, appears to be killer based the few who are posting here - .

Aah Crap I was hoping to squeak by. Guess the ol' pendulum is swing is back to primary fields and medicine

Adding UNC on Friday. Still waiting on BIDM, MGH, BWH, Columbia-Presbyterian, Penn,and UVA.

Members don't see this ad :)

Vandy
UAB
Emory
MUSC
Carolinas Med. Center
VCU/MCV
UVA
Wake

Waiting on:
Duke

Sorry to hear about UNC. I'm not clear on their selection process but... I have very similar #s to you and I was invited for an interview. I scored an "A" in my 3rd year Medicine clerkship and a "B" and "A" in my two 4th year Medicine sub-I's so far. And, I do have several publications/research background. According to my Program Director, UNC is notoriously competitive for a "second-tier program", likely because people fall in love with the region and b/c it gets the Duke "run-off". But as everyone has pointed out, you have a *Great* list of programs at which to interview =). Keep your head up and good luck on the interview trail!

I got JHBayview this morning... with a personalized invitation no less!
It's nice that MSPE's are out.

awesome:thumbup:

Did you do an away?

Anybody have an idea what % of interviews have been sent out so far at places like Brigham, mgh, columbia, cornell, ucsf, UW? How long will it be before all hope is gone to get an interview? 1 week? 1 month?

Has anyone heard from Boston University?

JHBayview today as well. Heard good things about this program but unsure.

Anybody have an idea what % of interviews have been sent out so far at places like Brigham, mgh, columbia, cornell, ucsf, UW? How long will it be before all hope is gone to get an interview? 1 week? 1 month?

relax...it's only 4 days after the mspe was sent out with a weekend thrown in, so i would say there's still a good chunk of time left before losing all hope. at least until the end of november/first weeks of december even, if you are a not-so-competitive applicant at a highly competitive program...

Cleveland Clinic - Florida (won't attend)
Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital (won't attend)
Santa Clara Valley (may attend)

(email/ERAS)

Agree with the no worries post. As far as I can get from looking here a few of us got Cornell late last week, no one has gotten Brigham or MGH yet. We'll cross our fingers for tomorrow and this next week and see where we all come out...

JHBayview today as well. Heard good things about this program but unsure.

Got JHUBayview today and I am also a little unsure about it. Looking at previous threads it seems like they have a really good match list and are more associated with JHU than JHU/Mt Sinai.

I got JHBayview this morning... with a personalized invitation no less!
It's nice that MSPE's are out.

Yeah the personalized invites were quite impressive I have to say. Plus it was nice to get a little insight as to what my LORs said.

Yeah the personalized invites were quite impressive I have to say. Plus it was nice to get a little insight as to what my LORs said.

yeah I got the JHU/Bayview invite yesterday as well! and it was personalized, how sweet.....

21 interview invites, going to 16 (so far) (half university and half community)

good luck everyone!!

16?! wowzers, that's quite a feat. I think I'm going to try to do 12-14, but we'll see I guess.

And where's Stanford and UW? Hmph!

I applied to 10 programs:

Interviews at:
1. Vanderbilt
2. UAB
3. Emory
4. Duke
5. UVA
6. UTSW
7. UNC

Waiting to hear back from:
8. MGH
9. BID
10. UPenn

I'm very happy about the invites so far, but getting nervous about UCSF, MGH, & BWH.

Keep in mind i am not the typical applicant. Step I 99 percentile, First Author publication in Cell among others, My grades suffered third year after coming out of lab so i'm curious how it will go..

Applied:
Emory
Vanderbilt
UMich
CaseW
MGH
Brigham
BIDMC
Yale
UPENN
Duke
UChicago
Northwestern
WashU
UWash (seattle)
UTSW
UCSF
EMORY
Columbia
Mt. Sinai
Cornell

Interviews:
Vanderbilt
WashU
UTSW
Emory
UMICH
Washington Seattle
CASEWestern

so im still waiting on a bunch...maybe my grades did hurt me..will keep you all posted

Today:

Carolinas Medical
Mayo Rochester

Upenn today....nothing from JHU, MGH, Brigham, BID, Columbia

Just got the UPenn Invite via emai/eras

Anyone else having difficulty with the link they provided?

Just got the UPenn Invite via emai/eras

Anyone else having difficulty with the link they provided?

Yea, I had the same difficulty. After you log in, just kind of click your way to the IM Residency site while in the same window you logged in under. I think you go to Education --> Applicant Information and you will find all the info you need.

Yea, I had the same difficulty. After you log in, just kind of click your way to the IM Residency site while in the same window you logged in under. I think you go to Education --> Applicant Information and you will find all the info you need.

I went Department & Services in the upper left, then clicked on Academic Department under the Medicine heading .... then Residency Applicant Info under the Education tab on the left .. then Interview Information on the right. Hope that helps.

Fexofenadine, you're hot.

Gezz thanks! :p But obviously not hot enough for Penn, UCSF, MGH, Cornell, Brigham, etc..... ( i wonder if it's because i added some programs later in the cycle)...

I'm getting very nervous now as some of these invites are comming out...

How come I was hot enough for Cornell but not hot enough for Stanford?! Fexo, I'll trade you Corny for Stanny.

Mt. Sinai NYC today. Strangely they schedule the interview date for you..no flexibility. I have Emory the very next day

oh my bad..that is one of only two days to interview for Research track

Scripps Mercy via email/ERAS today

Vanderbilt Rejection...ouch, my ego! Don't think I'd fit in their residency well anyway.

Really nice of the program to tell me as soon as they did instead of leave me in the dark.

Invites: Dartmouth, Montefiore, Maryland, Pitt, Michigan, Brown, UTSW, WashU, Cedars Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Baylor (Dallas), Emory, Baylor (Houston)
Cancelled: Cleveland Clinic, Baylor (Dallas)
Rejections: Vanderbilt, Mayo, JHU
Waiting: ~17

That's true -- painful it may be, but much better than sitting around waiting for it and holding a place for it on your schedule! Now you can move on to better things...

Invites:

Brown
Cedars-Sinai
Columbia
Duke
Hopkins downtown and Bayview
Kaiser San Francisco
Mayo Rochester
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
NYU
Sinai
UCSD
UCSF
University of Chicago
University of Colorado
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
UT Southwestern
University of Washington
Vanderbilt
WashU

Congrats NZ1234,

Looks like you and HiddenTruth are the first here with invites to the JHU Osler program:thumbup:

Does anyone know on average how many people are invited to the elite programs for interview. eg MGH, Brigham, Hopkins. Not trying to start a discussion on which programs are elite.

Does anyone know on average how many people are invited to the elite programs for interview. eg MGH, Brigham, Hopkins. Not trying to start a discussion on which programs are elite.

If the program filled out their survey it should be on FREIDA. Just off the top of my head most of the 'elite' programs invited 350-400 applicants. BWH was different though they only offered 100 interviews for 70 spots (Not sure if it counts prelims). Which I guess means interviews there, at least for last year, were hard to come by but if you got one you were in like Flynn.

Invites:

Brown
Cedars-Sinai
Columbia
Duke
Hopkins downtown and Bayview
Kaiser San Francisco
Mayo Rochester
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
NYU
Sinai
UCSD
UCSF
University of Chicago
University of Colorado
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
UT Southwestern
University of Washington
Vanderbilt
WashU

Congrats on JHU downtown well done :hardy:. I am just waiting for their rejection if they're nice enough to send one. They might bend to peer pressure like all the other pgroams I applied to and leave me in a silent abyss. ;)