The 2007 Interview Invites Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still no love from BID :(...... I really hope they didn't send one big acceptance letter out and everyone else is on the wait-list. If anyone has any word or insight as to if BID is still going to be sending out acceptances next week, I'd appreciate it!

Still have not heard from: Columbia, UPENN, Duke, BID, BWH, MGH....

Good luck all....

Waiting on BID too. I hate the whole silence thing right now. I would prefer rejection letters cos a) I can move on and b) If I don't get an interview spot unless someone else rejects it what are the chances of them ranking me high enough to get in.

Members don't see this ad.

According the the AOA rules or whatever, the top 1/6 of a class can be elected. Basically they take the top 1/4 and select the top of that group based on numerous factors (GPA, class rank, EC's, etc). Some of these can be elected junior year, some senior year.
At my school, we elect in Sept so its in time for ERAS and the top 1/6 based only on class rank. They get the rank list from the dean based on cumulative gpa and take exactly the top 1/6 (our class is 206 * 1/6 = 34 students).
Hope this helps... I have no idea what it does in the application process, thats prob a better question for aprogramdirector...
Thanks man.:thumbup:

should we anticipate interview invites on monday? i thought it was a holiday only for government employees

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd cast my vote for midweek. Committee members will probably review applications this weekend and then probably there would be some kind of meeting to discuss. (???)

I'd cast my vote for midweek. Committee members will probably review applications this weekend and then probably there would be some kind of meeting to discuss. (???)

Think they arm-wrestle over their favorite apps at this point? "I like this dude, he rocks hard!" "No! We want this chick, her pic's hawt!" "That's it! Clear the table! Throw down! You gentlemen know the rules . . . on the count of three . . ."

According the the AOA rules or whatever, the top 1/6 of a class can be elected. Basically they take the top 1/4 and select the top of that group based on numerous factors (GPA, class rank, EC's, etc). Some of these can be elected junior year, some senior year.
At my school, we elect in Sept so its in time for ERAS and the top 1/6 based only on class rank. They get the rank list from the dean based on cumulative gpa and take exactly the top 1/6 (our class is 206 * 1/6 = 34 students).
Hope this helps... I have no idea what it does in the application process, thats prob a better question for aprogramdirector...

If your school doesn't have AOA, is that a disadvantage for getting certain interviews?

If your school doesn't have AOA, is that a disadvantage for getting certain interviews?

From my understanding there are only 2 US med schools that do not have AOA....stanford and harvard. If you are from one of these med schools, then you are considered coming from a top tier med school...as long as you have done well in these schools then not having AOA shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyone out there that is interviewing at Columbia or that is from NY who knows affordable hotels near Columbia? I emailed the lady and she sent me a list that had a hostel (going with my fiance so this isnt ideal) and others in the $200 range, outrageous! I just want something reasonably affordable where I wont catch hepatitis or get murdered.
Thanks!

Man up and get the hostel...ask if they have private rooms. If they do then you just saved yourself $100+. Private rooms generally have their own shower and $hitter. Hostels in NYC are much nicer than in most other areas...speaking from personal experience. The Gershwin is particularly nice though not sure of its proximity to presbyterian hospital.

Adding UPenn today.....

Still waiting on: MGH, BWH, and Columbia

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews (all rec'd before MSPE):
BCM (Baylor Houston)
Emory
Duke
Miami
Scripps Green

Still waiting:
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
OHSU

"No thanks, happytime":
UCLA via snail mail, rec'd 11/10

This thread is keeping me from Step II studying. :rolleyes:

Is it just me or have the interviews started to dry up. Very worrying too as I am still waiting to hear back from a ton of programs. Very odd that the last two invites I received occured on a Sunday.

Interviews (all rec'd before MSPE):
BCM (Baylor Houston)
Emory
Duke
Miami
Scripps Green

Still waiting:
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
OHSU

"No thanks, happytime":
UCLA via snail mail, rec'd 11/10

This thread is keeping me from Step II studying. :rolleyes:

Had no idea they someimtes send snail mail instead of e-mail. hahaha what's the bet that when I get home I will have a ton of rejection letters from the holiday weekend :laugh:

yes, things are slowing down. I'd really like to hear from Emory though...Also still waiting on the 3 Harvards, UPenn, Columbia, and Cornell but I can take not hearing from them. I would love to live in ATL!!! :(

Where is UChicago?
It seems like a bunch of people have gotten interviews there... are you guys from the area, superstars, both?

Where is UChicago?
It seems like a bunch of people have gotten interviews there... are you guys from the area, superstars, both?

I received an invite from U Chicago on 10/05 via e-mail. I'm not from the area nor am I a "superstar" (avg to above-avg student at mid-tier school, AOA, decent Step scores), but I do have several years of research experience. According to my PD, LoRs and research experience carry a great deal of weight with top programs like U Chicago... There's still hope for you to get an invite!

Has anybody heard from any of the 3 Harvard schools this week (MGH, BWH, BID), UPenn, Columbia, or Duke this week?? I still have not heard anything this week and waiting eagerly for at least a few of these schools. A few of my friends have heard from BWH and BID so I am getting nervous with those 2. I know UPENN has been sending out their acceptances sporadically over the last few weeks, and have no idea whats up with Columbia....

Anyone have any information on these schools?

I heard from BID this week but not from the other two...
I didn't apply to UPenn or Columbia.

I think BID is just inviting in a somewhat rolling fashion rather than in big groups because my friends and I have all gotten invites on different days... so hopefully they will get to yours soon!

Hey All,

Just a quick question...do all programs notify candidates one way or another as to whether they decide to or decide not to interview them? thanks!

Hey All,

Just a quick question...do all programs notify candidates one way or another as to whether they decide to or decide not to interview them? thanks!

If we're lucky they do. Otherwise tis the silent treatment.

Got U of Colorado (waaayyy late), managed to grovel my way into a UW interview :oops: (man am I stinking of desperation)

So far:
Lahey Clinic, UConn, OSU, Drexel, Carilion Clinic, Eastern VA, Jefferson, Yale-Bridgeport, Washington Hospital Center, Cleveland Clinic, St. Louis UV, Riverside Methodist, and 7 other community programs

Still waiting to hear from 27 more programs.

4.0 GPA (my school give grades, not high honors/honors/etc.), Step 1 251/99, Step 2 262/99, teaching experience, BUT no research, no AOA, IMG status (but a U.S. citizen).

managed to grovel my way into a UW interview :oops: (man am I stinking of desperation)

I, and everyone else, will never be able to smell it;) Congrats on the interview, that's all that matters.

I tried to do the same with JHU but got the gavel today:thumbdown:

4.0 GPA (my school give grades, not high honors/honors/etc.), Step 1 251/99, Step 2 262/99, teaching experience, BUT no research, no AOA, IMG status (but a U.S. citizen).

That's crazy you got a 4.0 and still no AOA:confused: Does everyone at your school get A's???

You got awesome stats nonetheless...

I'm gonna have to say, I don't believe research matters for $hit. NOBODY has commented on my research during interviews, nor have they asked what my research interests were, and no one has asked if I'm interested in doing more...

Guys, I'm still waiting to hear from UCLA, yale, NW, Mt. Sinai, and NYU. Is no news bad news at this point? Is it even worth going to the interview if I get one as I'm unlikely to be ranked to match? Anyone have any insider knowledge of these programs or have called them up to see what the dealio is?

I disagree. I have a first author paper and at the only interview I've been on so far, my interviewer wanted to talk about it.

I think research can make a difference for candidates who are otherwise just a fish in the sea.

How do you grovel? I want a UW interview!

Anyone heard from UCSD? I got an email telling me to look at their website but that's it! lol.

Anyone heard from UCSD? I got an email telling me to look at their website but that's it! lol.

yeah, got the same email yesterday. i guess they sent it to all their applicants. i got an invite last week, which i'm stoked about since UCSD is probably in my top 3!

I, and everyone else, will never be able to smell it;) Congrats on the interview, that's all that matters.

I tried to do the same with JHU but got the gavel today:thumbdown:

Sorry to hear about that BlackNDecker, I know you were looking forward to that. Got a rejection from them that day too, seems like it was a mass rejection day yesterday at JHU. We lost a lot of good students [salute].

northwestern evanston today
kaiser permanente so cal a few days ago

Wash U today, which means I didn't get cut after 4th round draft pick.

Yeah...sorry I don't think so.

That's crazy you got a 4.0 and still no AOA:confused: Does everyone at your school get A's???

quote]

My fellow classmates would love it if everyone got A's, but in reality, the distribution of grades is the same as high honors/honors/etc. in U.S. schools. No AOA bc I am a Caribbean medical student.

Wash U today, which means I didn't get cut after 4th round draft pick.

Yeah...sorry I don't think so.

Hey me too 4th round pick high five. Ah man we are the ones who usually end up being given away in a 2 for 1 deal.

frickonastick!!! no interviews/rejections in the past 2 days. my freakin' phone's battery keeps dying because i check my email on it like every 10 minutes!!!!!!

U Wash, Stanford, or Hopkins

Last edited:
Hmmmm....

Still on deathwatch waiting for Columbia, BWH, and MGH... Nice to see that Boston is still a black hole from which no information escapes. Really getting antsy about Columbia....

BID today via ERAS....just when you think the Harvards are out of reach

Got BWH on Monday (11/12). For those interested, their interview dates are:

Dec 4,6,11,13,18,20
Jan 3,8,10,11,15,17

These are all Tues or Thurs, except Jan 11 (Fri).

Still waiting on MGH, Duke, Stanford, Columbia, UCSD, UW.

Will Attend:
UCLA
UCSD
Cedars-Sinai
USC
Scripps Green
UCLA Harbor
UCLA SFV (possible)
UCI (possible)
UCSF Fresno

Will Not Attend:
Loma Linda
Kaiser Santa Clara
Scripps Mercy
White Memorial
St. Mary's

Waitin On:
UCSF
Stanford
UC Davis (would actually be one of my top choices!!)

US Senior Step 1 220 Step 2ck 252 Junior/Senior AOA

Just got my first rejection today at Brigham Woman's. Still waiting to hear from BID, MGH, Duke, Columbia and UPENN....

Junior AOA (Top 5% of my class), Step 1- upper 240's, Step 2-next week...

Not sure why they passed up one me? Good luck guys...

Will Attend:
UCLA
UCSD
Cedars-Sinai
USC
Scripps Green
UCLA Harbor
UCLA SFV (possible)
UCI (possible)
UCSF Fresno

Will Not Attend:
Loma Linda
Kaiser Santa Clara
Scripps Mercy
White Memorial
St. Mary's

Waitin On:
UCSF
Stanford
UC Davis (would actually be one of my top choices!!)

US Senior Step 1 220 Step 2ck 252 Junior/Senior AOA

Staying in CA are we? =)

Just got my first rejection today at Brigham Woman's. Still waiting to hear from BID, MGH, Duke, Columbia and UPENN....

Junior AOA (Top 5% of my class), Step 1- upper 240's, Step 2-next week...

Not sure why they passed up one me? Good luck guys...

Hey buddy,

Just got rejected from BWH too! I am also AOA, Step I 240, step 2 pending (next month), mostly A's (or honors in my third year). I think what did me in is a combination of my PS (which I basically strongly said that I was interested in Primary Care) + the fact that I have zero publications (although + research). I think the Harvards want people who may pursue fellowship or who have a strong desire to do research..... arghghghgh still I HATE getting rejections :(

Georgetown today, as well as Mount Auburn (Cambridge)