thank-you notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunkiki486

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question ? I know someone posted this once before but I couldn?t find the thread anywhere. So here goes: is it good to send thank-you notes to the interviewers the day or two after having your interview? I don?t want it look like I?m a suck-up, but I would like to treat the interview as professional as can be. Any comments? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you notes should be sent as soon as possible after the interview. I had doubts about whether or not send them but in the end I just did. Looking from a professional standpoint, I think its expected.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say that this is one of those things that does NOT matter unless you have some really unusual circumstance. It might be useful if you have a good personal story that you want them to keep in mind, or if someone was particularly helpful, but I don't think there is a single adcom that says "well, these two people have exactly the same stats, but this person sent a thank-you, so they are in". I think it's pretty much a non-issue. Maybe it has a little more weight in a smaller or religious school.

Just ask yourself this:

Can it hurt?

Maybe there are certain parts of the country (the South?) where sending a thank you note would be commonplace. However, I agree with JD...it seems to be only applicable if you are grateful for something the adcom did for you and I would warn against sending a thank you note because you think it might give you an advantage (red flag for suck-up behavior ;) ).

I think a thank you note should be done. You can reinforce your desire in attending the school noting certain aspects that your interviewer told you about and then reaffirm how you would contribute as a student. I think it's the same courtesy as going for a job you want badly. Get yourself good quality bond paper and matching envelopes, use proper business form, check your spelling and grammar.
I think you'll look very professional and it will only make a good impression on them.

Red flag for 'suck-up' behavior? Please. Like you don't flip that switch the moment you start your interview.

The admissions staff DID go out of their way for you.

They decided to blow a half-hour of their time to give you a shot at going to a professional school. Simply giving you their time would warrant a note.

It is widely accepted that you send your interviewers a thank you note after interviewing for a job. How does interviewing for a professional school differ so much?

My correct answer for my question: It cannot hurt. The worst that will happen is that it gets tossed out. The best-it just may make the difference in your app. I've seen dumber stuff in my 4 years of PharmD training.

MNnaloxone, I didn't say don't send a thank you note. In fact you make good points as to why it's appropriate to send one. I was stating my opinion that you shouldn't send one if you don't mean it. It's probably easy for the adcom to tell a BS note from sincere note, so you possibly could hurt your chances if the note isn't well thought out (again another opinion).

If I do decide to send a thank-you note (which is what I?m leaning towards), does it have to be in the form of a letter? Or can it be in the form of a thank-you card? Does it matter? I was thinking that a letter might be over-doing it, whereas a thank-you card is plain and simple and you get your message across. What do you guys think?

It probably depends on the school. If the interview was very formal then a formal letter using bond paper like Mala said might be your best bet. However, if the interview was more relaxed then go for a professional looking thank you card. Each note should be unique and reflect the attitude of the college.

Handwritten would be a nice touch too... I think it makes a statement.

i sent in thank you cards to all my interviewers except for western and western ended up accepting me first (so far). so i don't think it matters. its just courtesy.

Oh just do it! You'll look so good! And go to Staples or Officemax and buy good quality bond paper w/ matching envelopes. Crane's is really good and buy white or as close to white colored paper as you can. No-no cheesy cards- save that for a dinner party thank you.
OH- and don't wait too long- go do that today and mail it today as well while it's fresh in your mind.

Not that it is quite the same, but...

I just got off the phone with one of the residency directors for a residency I have listed in the match. I said that he had just gotten the follow-up letter (a thank you note) that I had sent right after the interview. He was impressed that I took the time, and complimented me on my communications skills.

I guess it didn't hurt...

All my thank yous were printed on bond-quality 'resume' paper from Target. I used the same letterhead that was on my LOI and CV, ran it through my printer, and signed it.

I also sent a thank you recently. I don't know, I just thought it would allow me to relate my feelings about the interview. I included some things that were helpful and appreciated the time they spent getting to know me.

It can't hurt, and I highly doubt it is being a suck up. Such thoughts seem immature, if that is how they would look at such a gesture...it is a professional school...and thank you's are professional behavior.

Anyways., I did and I have yet to hear back from my schools yet, but I didn't do it to get in, just to let them know I appreciated their time.

if you really feel the urge to write a thank-you note, by all means do it.
if you don't feel like writing it, don't waste your time. but don't regret if you don't get in.
good luck.