Texas Tech (Lubbock) c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats Dr. Tejas and welcome to our little group :)

if you haven't already found it,

lubbockapartments.com

is a great website that has pictures, floorplans, prices etc. Are you familiar with lubbock? An important thing to remember is that no matter where you are in the city it is only like 15 minutes to school, max. So I would focus more on the apartment you like rather than the location. For instance I'm going to be living off of slide road (pretty south lubbok) and I timed the drive from the school and it was 10 minutes. As far as grad students, Las Colinas, Parkridge Place, and Quail Creek all give 100/month discounts to med/law students. I'm pretty sure they only have 2 bedrooms still available, but with the discount they are really close to the same price as one bedrooms. if you want to spend a lot of money there is a new apartment complex aimed at grad students called the edge. It is really close to campus and i'm sure it is really nice too, it's just expensive as heck. Anyway, hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Y'all!
I just got my acceptance call to Texas Tech this morning. Looks like I'll be joining y'all in the fall. I'm sad I missed out on Spring Training, but I was hoping I could get some advice from locals or other students that went. I'll be heading out that way soonish to get a look at apartments and what not. Does anybody have any suggestions on a place to live? Are there any specific places that are close to the school that have a larger population of med students? I'm afraid of picking a place that is popular with the undergrads and want to hopefully live by other grad students.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome and congrats!! :) We have decided anything Southwest and Northwest of the loop or just inside it on the west side is okay - I keep hearing stay away from the East Side, haha.

See you at orientation!

Hey Y'all!
I just got my acceptance call to Texas Tech this morning. Looks like I'll be joining y'all in the fall. I'm sad I missed out on Spring Training, but I was hoping I could get some advice from locals or other students that went. I'll be heading out that way soonish to get a look at apartments and what not. Does anybody have any suggestions on a place to live? Are there any specific places that are close to the school that have a larger population of med students? I'm afraid of picking a place that is popular with the undergrads and want to hopefully live by other grad students.
Thanks in advance!

WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!! that is so awesome--i'm so excited you're going to be our classmate!!!
:hardy: :soexcited: :hardy:

So I would focus more on the apartment you like rather than the location. For instance I'm going to be living off of slide road (pretty south lubbok) and I timed the drive from the school and it was 10 minutes. As far as grad students, Las Colinas, Parkridge Place, and Quail Creek all give 100/month discounts to med/law students. I'm pretty sure they only have 2 bedrooms still available, but with the discount they are really close to the same price as one bedrooms.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
words of gold.

i'm staying at las colinas, and there are several girls in our class that i know of that will be there too--and when i visited it was really quiet and practically everyone that i saw walking around that day was in scrubs (the residential manager would point them out: he's a resident, she's an medical student, etc.)

las colinas is over near the slide road area too, and i would definately agree to hit up that side of town. There are quite a few appartments in that area, it's a quite neighborhood, and it's nearly the exact opposite side of town from the undergrad campus/activity.

from this page, if you click on "lubbock" you can see the websites for las colinas, parkridge place, and quail creek.
http://www.stellar-management.com/westTX.php

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for the words of wisdom and great apartment websites. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the area and the only time I've been to West Texas was for the interview at Tech. But I'll definitely be starting my apartment search at the places y'all recommended. Thanks again!

To those not from the area- when are y'all planning on moving out there/moving into a place/getting settled before orientation starts?

My last day at work is June 12th, so probably a week after that or so I'll be down there to find a place and probably move in early July. I'm pumped!

agreeing to stay on until mid july, what was I thinking? :(

agreeing to stay on until mid july, what was I thinking? :(
It was a tough call. On one side of the coin, there is the relative value of what I make versus the loans I will be taking, in which case it's not that much money I'll be missing out on. On the flip side, there is real value in that I'm going to miss out on a fair amount of money. Either way, I said screw it, I want to hang out this summer.

My move in date is July 24th (the Friday before orientation)- I am moving from Atlanta, GA (though i grew up in West Texas) and my parents just wanted to make one trip out there to move me in and attend the white coat ceremony- I am also in Las Colinas- if you check out the facebook group for the class there is a housing discussion thread with info- a few people looking to rent out rooms, etc..

I am also working through mid-July- the family I have nannied for since end of high school is having baby 4 on June 8th (scheduled C-section) soI will stay for the first 6 weeks or so as the mom is recovering and help the 3 kids adjust to a new babysitter (and maybe a new nanny???)... though I am only going to work 3 days/week

I just got off the phone with Linda Prado, and I got in!!!! I am so excited, I can't wait to meet everyone in a couple of months! Can anyone tell me when the first day of school is?

I just got off the phone with Linda Prado, and I got in!!!! I am so excited, I can't wait to meet everyone in a couple of months! Can anyone tell me when the first day of school is?
I believe mandatory orientation starts on July 29 and the next week moves right into classes. Congratulations!

To those not from the area- when are y'all planning on moving out there/moving into a place/getting settled before orientation starts?

I'll be packin' up and moving west july 17

I'm quitting work at the end of june and moving in July 2nd...but i won't be staying in lubbock I'll be heading back to southeast texas to visit family, spend a little more time with my boyfriend, etc. Not sure on dates... I cannot wait to decorate my new (HUGE) apartment though! My boyfriend told me I have to stop buying stuff until I get up there because I just keep adding the the amount of stuff I have to haul up there :D (in my defense i've gotten some amazing deals on a washer/dryer, entertainment center, and really beautiful painting for my living room!)

congrats natrod!

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot wait to decorate my new (HUGE) apartment though! My boyfriend told me I have to stop buying stuff until I get up there because I just keep adding the the amount of stuff I have to haul up there :D (in my defense i've gotten some amazing deals on a washer/dryer, entertainment center, and really beautiful painting for my living room!)

Me too! Which place did you go with again??? My dad is telling me the same thing- I have bought a bed and dresser and have a washer and dryer... I will be making an IKEA run before I leave Atlanta since that is where the dining room set and desk I want is... we currently have the largest UHAUL you can pull yourself reserved!

speaking of which: if anyone's from dfw, the pier1 in fort worth is going out of business!!! i just got a BEAUTIFUL new couch for crazy cheap!

Maggie, I'm from the DFW area. Which Pier1 in Ft. Worth? It might be worth a trip (coming from Dallas) if the sales are amazing.

I just got off the phone with Linda Prado, and I got in!!!! I am so excited, I can't wait to meet everyone in a couple of months!

:hello:Hey future classmate! Welcome! :clap:Congrats on the acceptance!

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much utilities will run on a monthly basis for a 1 bedroom? And which utilities would I be responsible for?
Thanks!

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much utilities will run on a monthly basis for a 1 bedroom? And which utilities would I be responsible for?
Thanks!

I talked to a friend who is in a very small one bedroom in Lubbock that has you pay electric and then does water/gas/trash where you just pay based on number of people in the apartment. He said it was about $70/month and a little higher when running the AC- he is very careful about usage though.

My townhouse is a lot larger and I am budgeting around $100/month for utilities though have a lot of wiggle room for it... Also you might be paying for cable and internet... the above mentioned friend said his complex has wireless internet but he said it is VERY unreliable and when I looked at that complex they were honest about recommending medical students get their own internet- another complex also said the same thing.

Thanks!

DrTejas this is VERY dependent on you as a person, how much time you spend at home, what "luxuries" you want, how big your 1 bedroom apt. is, what apartment complex you go with, etc.

If you are trying to go cheap then you should be fine with less than 100/month in bills just try not to use your air conditioner...i was able to have a <40 electric bill in the month of August in Houston for a 650+ sq ft apt. because i basically never turned my air conditioner on...ever...., and I had a 2nd floor apt in a 3 floor complex. I also have opted not to have cable because cable is 50 bucks a month at least... you can get a good internet for 20 to 30 (check into verizon internet, earthlink, etc.) If your apt. complex doesn't include any bills you will have to pay electricity, water/sewage, internet, and cable.

(disclaimer: this is all just from my experience and could be wrong...:laugh: )

Maggie, I'm from the DFW area. Which Pier1 in Ft. Worth? It might be worth a trip (coming from Dallas) if the sales are amazing.

the one on camp bowie.

yeah everything was like 50-70% off!!!! and they still had a ton of stuff left--though that was almost a week ago--but seriously anything in pier one is more often than not quality stuff, and also usually a tad on the high/pricey side of reasonable, which makes this thing all the better!!!! I wish they'd have stores that would go out of business more often!:laugh:

Congratulations and welcome to the new additions to the class!

Thanks for all the great info! I think I'm going to be taking off Friday to head out there to look at apartments and townhouses Friday and Saturday. There are so many to choose from just by looking at Lubbock Apartments.com. Does anyone have any suggestions for great places to eat or things to do while in town? I'll be traveling with my mom so I'm not sure I can convince her to hit up some of the bars with me but any other places would be great since we've never been.

Is anyone else getting really excited/scared? I can't believe I'm going to be renting my own place! :scared:

I didn't turn in my campus preference form until after spring training, and everyone has been telling me that I would probably end up going to Odessa, (my last choice), since I take it that that's most everyone's least favorite place. Well a friend of mine who is a first year checked up on it and I'm going to Amarillo!! Phew, first choice, score! Turns out the committee didn't even meet till last week so I was fine. I was also told campus placement packets will be probably be mailed out within a week or so, so y'all be on the lookout. Hope everyone gets what they wanted!:xf:

Last edited:
I didn't turn in my campus preference form until after spring training, and everyone has been telling me that I would probably end up going to Odessa, (my last choice), since I take it that that's most everyone's least favorite place. Well a friend of mine who is a first year checked up on it and I'm going to Amarillo!! Phew, first choice, score! Turns out the committee didn't even meet till last week so I was fine. I was also told campus placement packets will be probably be mailed out within a week or so, so y'all be on the lookout. Hope everyone gets what they wanted!:xf:

Nice- I really doubt they won't give me my first choice (Amarillo)- I grew up in Amarillo and have extensive family there. They let me in from OOS and if they want to keep me in West Texas it would be wise to let me go to my hometown... though I still am not set on staying in West Texas long term.

Does anyone have any suggestions for great places to eat or things to do while in town? I'll be traveling with my mom so I'm not sure I can convince her to hit up some of the bars with me but any other places would be great since we've never been.

Is anyone else getting really excited/scared? I can't believe I'm going to be renting my own place! :scared:

My favorite places to eat in the area are Ruby Tequillas for Mexican food or Gardskis for general food (hamburgers, chicken fingers, chicken, etc)... my favorite fast food place is Taco Villa!

I am very excited about moving! It will be my first apartment since I lived at home for undergrad and let the Georgia lottery pay all my tuition/fees!

haha, don't you know if you hadn't included this statement (the timeline with a not-to-distant-future promise), everyone would have been on you like vultures for "howdidyoufindout?!?!?!", "whodidyoucall?!?!?!", "willyourfriendaskformetoo?!?!?!?!"
:laugh::thumbup:

that's good news. it'd be awesome to know before I signed a lease. I thought they wouldn't let us know until later this summer.

What is this campus preference form I keep hearing about? It's probably because I was just accepted, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Should I be expecting this form to come in the mail sometime soon? If so, I sounds like I should fill it out and send it back ASAP but, (and this may be a silly question so I apologize ahead of time) how am I supposed to know where I want to be in two years? How do I know which location I will like best?

haha, don't you know if you hadn't included this statement (the timeline with a not-to-distant-future promise), everyone would have been on you like vultures for "howdidyoufindout?!?!?!", "whodidyoucall?!?!?!", "willyourfriendaskformetoo?!?!?!?!"
:laugh::thumbup:

From my convo w/ the friend, the impression was that everyone's placement has been figured out already, they just need to get around to mailing the packets. If anyone is dying to know and can't wait about a week, I'm sure a call to the student affairs office would do the trick ;).

What is this campus preference form I keep hearing about? It's probably because I was just accepted, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Should I be expecting this form to come in the mail sometime soon? If so, I sounds like I should fill it out and send it back ASAP but, (and this may be a silly question so I apologize ahead of time) how am I supposed to know where I want to be in two years? How do I know which location I will like best?

Two-thirds of each class relocates for the 3rd and 4th years to either Amarillo or Odessa. I have no idea what your situation will be, since you're late in the game, but not to worry if you don't get your preference, since they let ppl switch during second year, so it's not set in stone. If you don't care to stay in Lubbock (very difficult, and probably close to impossible for you IMO since it's the most requested), you're probably in okay shape. Being a single guy, I chose Amarillo since it has a good surgery program from what I hear and I'll probably get sick of Lubbock after two years anyway, so it works out. As far as how you decide, hell I think it's crazy they want to know so early; I suppose it's because some people are neurotic planners and want to know way early in the game where they'll be. If you call the student affairs office tomorrow and talk to Dr. Larsen, tell her your situation, I'm sure she will be able to be more informative than I have been. She may even hook you up, who knows.

how am I supposed to know where I want to be in two years? How do I know which location I will like best?

ummm, exactly. welcome to the club.

Being a single guy, I chose Amarillo since it has a good surgery program from what I hear and I'll probably get sick of Lubbock after two years anyway, so it works out. As far as how you decide, hell I think it's crazy they want to know so early.

ditto. (except the "guy" part :D )

agreed. at least we can always look to teacherman to feel young again. :highfive:

Ha Ha! So you just assumed this old man was snoring and you youngsters could have your fun, eh? We'll see who has the last laugh! A couple of months ago I thought I was a badass cause I ran 4 miles in less than 28 minutes..until I saw a couple of the dudes who beat me...retirement aged men!

Age is relative...just ask the teenager I dunked on a couple of weeks ago!:smuggrin:

Ha Ha! So you just assumed this old man was snoring and you youngsters could have your fun, eh? We'll see who has the last laugh! A couple of months ago I thought I was a badass cause I ran 4 miles in less than 28 minutes..until I saw a couple of the dudes who beat me...retirement aged men!

Age is relative...just ask the teenager I dunked on a couple of weeks ago!:smuggrin:

:laugh: :thumbup:

and dibs on being on your intramural basketball team.

I just got excited about school again! I think we definitely have the best class!:thumbup:

aww man, now i'm really anxious to know where i'm going to be. That's great that you were able to get your first choice KingoftheHill. :xf:hopefully that means I got my first or 2nd choice...:xf:

DrTejas, did you live with your parents or in a dorm or something for college? This definitely isn't the first apt i've lived in lol...and i'm not really THAT old ;)

DrTejas, did you live with your parents or in a dorm or something for college? This definitely isn't the first apt i've lived in lol...and i'm not really THAT old ;)

Yep, in dorms all of college. I guess that's what I get for going to a tiny college where we have to live on campus all 4 years.

Hey random question, has anyone recieved financial aid information that could tell me how much they give us for living expenses? I want to start working on putting my budget together and I need a number to start out with. I am just so excited (and bored at work) that I don't want to wait for my packet!

Hey random question, has anyone recieved financial aid information that could tell me how much they give us for living expenses? I want to start working on putting my budget together and I need a number to start out with. I am just so excited (and bored at work) that I don't want to wait for my packet!

roughly, you can take out up to 39K for total COA.

~13K is designated for tuition and fees and you'll never see it.

I don't have exact numbers on me but I took the allocated money for room and board, personal misc, and transportation and divided it by 12 and got a monthly amount right at $1800... you also have $1600 budgetted for a laptop.

It is important to note the first 2 years they only budget your living for 9 months since you get a summer break (2 months). I decided to go ahead and budget for the whole year since some of the things like summer preceptorships only make around $1000/month... Research can make more but it depends- I am looking at a trainee program through a physician I know in Atlanta.

A bit of info: ours is the largest class thread dedicated to the class of 2013. :)