Texas Tech Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see we are required to purchase an Atlas of Human Anatomy.

I have looked to see what students from others schools thought and each school had their own opinion.

What would yall think is the best for TTUHSC SOM.

Netter vs Rohen vs Grant's Atlas

What are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks MS1's yall are more help than yall will ever know!

I think Netter's is the most frequently used- I liked that the drawings were idealized and easy to understand. Every tank will need a Netter and then I used my Netters on a daily basis when studying. I guess the con would be the images aren't real which is where Rohen comes in.

Rohen is a collection of photos taken of pro-sections (cadavers that have been dissected by profesionals) then the photos are labeled. This is good because you can see what you would expect to see on your cadaver. The con is that several things labeled aren't required at Tech (there is plenty to learn though).

Grant's I believe only one person used- it seemed a lot like Netters to me but I honestly didn't look at it enough to give an opinion here.

My thought is you will want Netter for sure. There was a new edition out of Rohen this year so if you order the older one for the $15 or so on Amazon it would be worth it. I found Rohen best for STS (Student Teaching Student where you have to pre-disect and teach your tank the lab). Those are just my thoughts- a lot of people did't buy Rohen (I paid over $70 for mine) but my tank groups always loved me bringing it to the lab for us to use with non-gloved hands away from the tank so it didn't get dirty.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks to all the MS1's for answering all my computer and plug-in questions!

I thought of another question.

I see we are required to purchase an Atlas of Human Anatomy.

I have looked to see what students from others schools thought and each school had their own opinion.

What would yall think is the best for TTUHSC SOM.

Netter vs Rohen vs Grant's Atlas

What are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks MS1's yall are more help than yall will ever know!

Ok, so again i'm an oddball on this one. I had grants and I loved it. Almost everyone has netters, so what i found was useful was that every once in a while there was something that was better in netters, but since all the other tanks had it i could always just look at it on another tank if I needed to. I personally liked grants because it was a mix of drawings with MRI's/x-rays and also had text to explain complicated things.

But also, i left my grant's down in the lab (it was gross and i definitely wasn't taking it with me!) so you may want to hold off on buying one until you get to lab and see if they kept our books that we left for ya'll.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so again i'm an oddball on this one. I had grants and I loved it. Almost everyone has netters, so what i found was useful was that every once in a while there was something that was better in netters, but since all the other tanks had it i could always just look at it on another tank if I needed to. I personally liked grants because it was a mix of drawings with MRI's/x-rays and also had text to explain complicated things.

But also, i left my grant's down in the lab (it was gross and i definitely wasn't taking it with me!) so you may want to hold off on buying one until you get to lab and see if they kept our books that we left for ya'll.

I'm fairly certain the books have been trashed, so if you want something other than Netter's - buy an older edition on Amazon for cheap like justdoit was saying. I loved my Netter's. It's one of the only books (other than Board Review Books and stuff) that I see myself keeping past 2nd year.

i was just accepted this past week!!! i feel there is so much to do, but not sure where to start?!?

i have been looking at apartments online and have found a couple of places interesting. if anyone could please comment on these places i would really appreciate it! i live in houston, and i plan to drive up to lubbock this week to check out the apartments.

- savannah oaks
- ashton pointe
- the heritage
- college pointe
- the enclave
- canyon crossing
- indiana village

i'm basically looking for a clean, well-maintained and secure apartment complex. any input would be much appreciated!

thanks

i was just accepted this past week!!! i feel there is so much to do, but not sure where to start?!?

i have been looking at apartments online and have found a couple of places interesting. if anyone could please comment on these places i would really appreciate it! i live in houston, and i plan to drive up to lubbock this week to check out the apartments.

- savannah oaks
- ashton pointe
- the heritage
- college pointe
- the enclave
- canyon crossing
- indiana village

i'm basically looking for a clean, well-maintained and secure apartment complex. any input would be much appreciated!

thanks

I haven't heard of a few of those but I can say Ashton Pointe is a very popular complex for students and that my friends at Canyon Crossing have had a lot of issues with management/repairs and are ready to get out but waiting since both of them are going to Amarillo next year and don't want to move twice.

- savannah oaks
- ashton pointe
- the heritage
- college pointe
- the enclave
- canyon crossing
- indiana village

thanks

Indiana village isn't in that great of a part of town (if i remember right). And for the sake of being redundant i'll just say scroll back and look at the previous pages in this thread. We've talked ALOT about apartments and our suggestions :) Good luck and look forward to meeting you.

For those MS1s who print their notes, do you think a color printer is necessary? Or one that has copying and scanning?

Just checking, we only need to sign one master promissory note for the direct sub/unsub loans and the school should be informed online about our completion, correct? Thanks! you guys have been so helpful!

For those MS1s who print their notes, do you think a color printer is necessary? Or one that has copying and scanning?

I wouldn't say 100% necessary but I highly recommend it- sometimes faculty will have some notes in red which are more important and some diagrams have color coding. I know some people who attend lectures will just highlight or draw with colored pens those things but for me I prefer colored ink. Copying/scanning isn't that important- I think I used my copier 3 times all year.

Just checking, we only need to sign one master promissory note for the direct sub/unsub loans and the school should be informed online about our completion, correct? Thanks! you guys have been so helpful!

to check and make sure you've done what you need to for loans follow these steps:

go to webraider.ttuhsc.edu--> MyTech tab --> "financial aid information" --> "HSC financial aid tab" --> "documentation requested and submitted" --> choose 2010-2011. Voila. ;)

And if you just completed the promissory give it a few days for them to catch up . It might not show up on webraider immediately but should be there within a few days. Hope that helps.

I wouldn't say 100% necessary but I highly recommend it- sometimes faculty will have some notes in red which are more important and some diagrams have color coding. I know some people who attend lectures will just highlight or draw with colored pens those things but for me I prefer colored ink. Copying/scanning isn't that important- I think I used my copier 3 times all year.

Thanks for the information :)

How important is it to have the online access code to the text books. Are there any certain books that the code is required or extremely helpful in anatomy and BCT.

How important is it to have the newest edition of the books for anatomy and BCT.

Also, at my undergrad we could download free antivirus. Is there any deals like that at TTUHSC. I saw the undergrads could download Symentic for free; however, it said "N/A" for HSC students.

Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How important is it to have the online access code to the text books. Are there any certain books that the code is required or extremely helpful in anatomy and BCT.

How important is it to have the newest edition of the books for anatomy and BCT.

Also, at my undergrad we could download free antivirus. Is there any deals like that at TTUHSC. I saw the undergrads could download Symentic for free; however, it said "N/A" for HSC students.

Thanks

i have never used an online access code.

Anatomy, not very important, though I would never buy a used anatomy book after I saw what some went through. BCT, you can easily get by with an older edition, but the newer ones will have some differences. IMO if you study mainly by the lecture notes and just use the text to reference, it works. If you're a text reader, there are probably parts that contradict.

Pretty sure you can d/l McAfee from the eraider website (along with office). I preferred to go with avira antivir and ms security essentials (both free).

im the kind of person that learns primarily with lecture notes (i pretty much never cracked open a text book after my freshman year of college)... so can you tell me which books are absolutely essential for first year?

im the kind of person that learns primarily with lecture notes (i pretty much never cracked open a text book after my freshman year of college)... so can you tell me which books are absolutely essential for first year?

I would say Netter and BRS are the most important for Anatomy but since there is almost no lecture you might want one of the Moore books since the blue boxes are gold.

BCT- I got Pelley's biochem book (I believe his Rapid Review one) and one of the Histology atlas books to use to study for the lab exam- the histo text might not be needed though

Phys- the notes are pretty much all I used- I did use the Pre-test practice book for phys to prep for exams

Host Defense- I used the immuno book- the pics from the book were the ones in the lectures and then used Micro made ridiculously simple and the Microcards (those were gold) as well as charts that will be passed down on a resource CD which are money for the exams.

That is what worked for me but each of us study differently- I would ask around and get more opinions. Just remember Anatomy is more self taught (very few lectures and you learn by being in the lab and individual study time) than anything else

does anyone know anything about the grove or the boulders at lakeridge? i just got accepted and now i'm freaking out about places to live since school starts in like 3 weeks. eek!

I might have missed this in earlier posts, but does Tech have a laptop requirement? Are they compliant with apple computers? If not, I now have an idea of what my christmas or birthday present will be this year.

I might have missed this in earlier posts, but does Tech have a laptop requirement? Are they compliant with apple computers? If not, I now have an idea of what my christmas or birthday present will be this year.

Tech requires that you have a PC laptop for test taking purposes. Whatever applications they use for the online exams do not currently work on Macs.

The laptop PC recommendations that they gave the class of 2014 can be found here.

I have a question as well for current students....do any of you use a Mac for studying/at home and just have a PC laptop that you use to take tests with?

My husband and I have a Dell laptop right now, but we are going to be getting a new laptop for me (pretty sure sharing is not going to work once school starts!). I really would like to get a Mac, and am wondering if there will be any problems using the class notes, ect. on a Mac. I would still have the Dell to use for tests.

does anyone know anything about the grove or the boulders at lakeridge? i just got accepted and now i'm freaking out about places to live since school starts in like 3 weeks. eek!

There are quite a few med students at the Grove- haven't heard any complaints but I am pretty sure you have to get a roommate.

I have only driven by Boulders and it looked nice- it is in one of the higher end areas of Lubbock (Banana Republic, nicer shopping areas,dining, etc) and has both a starbucks and Daybreak coffee within a few blocks. I am not aware of anyone I know living there though.

A lot of the apartments in Lubbock come with washer/dryer connections but not the actual washer and dryer. My apartment says I can rent a pair for $40 a month, but I'm wondering if you guys know of any places that may sell used washers and dryers.

i wanted to ask what the big moore and little moore books were. is it the clincially oriented anamtomy? that's the only moore that i found. also should i get 2 netter's atlases (1 for lab and the other for study). does anyone have an opinion on the netter's flashcards? last question...since tech is in blocks are there only 5 classes to register for? (2 for fall and 3 for spring). thanks so much!

i wanted to ask what the big moore and little moore books were. is it the clincially oriented anamtomy? that's the only moore that i found. also should i get 2 netter's atlases (1 for lab and the other for study). does anyone have an opinion on the netter's flashcards? last question...since tech is in blocks are there only 5 classes to register for? (2 for fall and 3 for spring). thanks so much!

yes.

yes. but usually your first tank group splits the cost of an atlas and they stay at the tank while you move to different groups.

have and enjoyed the flashcards. one of the student organizations was giving them out when you signed up for membership, TMA I think, so keep an eye out.

yes.

A lot of the apartments in Lubbock come with washer/dryer connections but not the actual washer and dryer. My apartment says I can rent a pair for $40 a month, but I'm wondering if you guys know of any places that may sell used washers and dryers.

You could try Craigslist.

My husband and I have a Dell laptop right now, but we are going to be getting a new laptop for me (pretty sure sharing is not going to work once school starts!). I really would like to get a Mac, and am wondering if there will be any problems using the class notes, ect. on a Mac. I would still have the Dell to use for tests.

Macs are fine for everything other than test taking. A shared laptop would be fine, you only HAVE to have a PC for taking exams. All class notes are in .ppt or .pdf format and can be used on Mac (I use my iMac for studying as much or more than I use the Dell I bought for school).

Yes, Big and Baby Moore are the 2 versions of the Clinically Oriented Anatomy books. I think Baby Moore is technically called "Essential Clinical Anatomy" or something.

I loved the Netter Flash Cards, definitely worth the money.

And I don't remember about classes, but it sounds right. Although, I think you should have to register for Anatomy, BCT and ECE for first semester....not sure though.

Just finished the fun HIPPA training course. I do have to admit is was way better than the safety and sexual harassment courses.

Is there anyone out there looking for a roommate in Lubbock? My apartment complex decided to let a cat hang out in my "pet-free" apartment for the past year, so I can't move in there anymore ... I'm highly allergic, and I was supposed to move in tomorrow, fml?
So, is there anyone looking for a roommate in a house, duplex, or apartment or knows of any places that don't allow cats that still have space available? SOOO many places in Lubbock allow pets! I'll be an MS1 next year - I'm female, non-smoker, quiet and organized/clean...
Please let me know!

Yes, Big and Baby Moore are the 2 versions of the Clinically Oriented Anatomy books. I think Baby Moore is technically called "Essential Clinical Anatomy" or something.

I loved the Netter Flash Cards, definitely worth the money.

And I don't remember about classes, but it sounds right. Although, I think you should have to register for Anatomy, BCT and ECE for first semester....not sure though.

thanks so much. i think i found them:
Big Moore-Clinically Oriented Anatomy
Baby Moore-Essential Clinical Anatomy
will also be getting the flashcards!

I've heard that we can use the TTU Rec Center. I'm so excited about this! Do we have to pay anything to use it, like parking (or I'm hoping that our TTUHSC parking sticker will work for that)?

Btw, that cat issue is something I'm worried about with my apartment. It's pet-friendly, but I'm very allergic to cats too. I'm moving in tomorrow and am praying that it's cleaned and hoping the previous tenants didn't have cats. Good luck with the roommate/apartment search!!

I've heard that we can use the TTU Rec Center. I'm so excited about this! Do we have to pay anything to use it, like parking (or I'm hoping that our TTUHSC parking sticker will work for that)?

The "fee" is already included in your tuition/fees that you pay. Your ttuhsc parking sticker allows you to park there for free (but not other places on campus)

How is the anatomy block separated into test blocks.

What does the first test in anatomy cover ?

Head and neck, Thorasic, Abdomen, limbs or is it systems based ?

How is the anatomy block separated into test blocks.

What does the first test in anatomy cover ?

Head and neck, Thorasic, Abdomen, limbs or is it systems based ?

Assuming it is the same as last year:

Test one- back, upperlimbs, chest
Test two- head and neck
Test three- abdomen, lower limb, P&P

hey, i just arrived in town from los angeles and would like to meet up with other students... i dont have internet in my apartment yet, so hit me up at 626-780-2407!

I felt like the most important feature of a med school printer is duplex (front and back printing) and fast (high efficiency). Color is not necessary because histology slides and stuff are almost never printed out (you shouldn't print 50 colored images that you'll study for 10 minutes, you know?).

I can't think of a time when copying or scanning was necesssary.

TTUHSC MS4

So I just got back from Amarillo- I wanted to see it before I got so busy with school. And now I'm having awful second thoughts and so I'm wondering what made you guys decide to go to Amarillo. I had put it as my first choice because I had heard of the great opportunities there if you wanted to do surgery or internal medicine. Plus I knew getting Lubbock for 3rd and 4th year is tough. I know that appealing for Lubbock is going to be near impossible...so I guess I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

So I just got back from Amarillo- I wanted to see it before I got so busy with school. And now I'm having awful second thoughts and so I'm wondering what made you guys decide to go to Amarillo. I had put it as my first choice because I had heard of the great opportunities there if you wanted to do surgery or internal medicine. Plus I knew getting Lubbock for 3rd and 4th year is tough. I know that appealing for Lubbock is going to be near impossible...so I guess I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

I lived in Amarillo til I was 15 so I am pretty familiar with the town. I love the local atmosphere and friendly people. The hospitals do have good opportunities as well. I am excited to be moving back there next summer because I don't really like Lubbock (too dusty, floods everytime it rains, and too many college kids for me). There are some really good areas of town but some of what you might see from the highways is a run down. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

i'm having trouble moving all of my clothes so i decided to move them in shifts. are there any occasions that require formal dressy clothes within the first month of starting. outside from white coat?

Sweet Pea - the first day of orientation was business casual for us. Of course there is white coat and then you might have 1 clinic day in august but other than that I can't remember any other need for dressy clothes.

Tex - I've personally never been to amarillo, but I think it is a perfectly good place to do 3rd and 4th year. I was once told that no matter where you are there will always be more to learn than you will be able to. 3rd year is pretty much living in the hospital so if your discomfort with the city is about lack of things "to do" you won't really need to worry about that. Then 4th year you can do away rotations for anything that amarillo doesn't have if you are interested in a competitive specialty etc.

As far as academics, the school (and the head of curriculum) works really hard to try to make sure everyone gets the same level of teaching in the clinical years at each location (lubbock, amarillo, permian). I don't recall ever hearing that there was any bias in students placing into certain residencies based on their location.

Also, many of the lubbock people for 3rd and 4th year are married and have families. Now that we are getting closer I've realized that as a younger single student a very large portion of my friends will be leaving to go to Amarillo so most likely the group that you become close to will also be going to amarillo or permian as well.

hope this helps calm your mind a bit. See you in a week!

Thank you for the words of wisdom about Amarillo. I've gone back on this forum and read about the details. I think it was just a bit overwhelming but I have a lot more peace of mind now.

I am a little confused about our academic calendar. I'm trying to book tickets home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. From what I see on the Tech portal, the last class is done on Wednesday Nov. 24 at 11am. Are there classes after that? Otherwise, I'll try to fly home that afternoon. Also, it shows our Christmas holiday is from December 18-Jan 3 but according to the Tech portal our last class is on Dec. 16 at 5pm. Are there finals from the 16th-18th? Or can I get a ticket for the 16th or 17th?

I'm getting so excited to meet all of you soon!! :)

Tex your NBME exam will be on the 16th and that is your final for the block so after that you are done and can fly home. Same thing should go for flying out wed afternoon if you want to go home for thanksgiving.

Did most student's families come to the white coat ceremony last year?

My family keeps asking me what they should wear and I haven't been sure what to tell them. My guess was something like Sunday dress, but since it's in the afternoon I don't think they have to dress up too much. What do you think?

Did most student's families come to the white coat ceremony last year?

My family keeps asking me what they should wear and I haven't been sure what to tell them. My guess was something like Sunday dress, but since it's in the afternoon I don't think they have to dress up too much. What do you think?

Most of us had some family there (usually parents/spouses)- some had more than others (a ton of my family came from all over and my parents had a big dinner after the ceremony). I would say Sunday dress/buisness casual. Summery dresses, khakis with a nice shirt is fine (ties optional)... I would just say no jeans.

anyone else having a hard time furnishing their place? i am expecting to move in 2 years to midland/odessa so i find it hard to justify buying nice/new furniture... its also hard to find good stuff on CL, in addition to not having a truck to transport anything thats already assembled. i feel like walmart is my only option, and that doesnt make me too happy =/

anyone else having a hard time furnishing their place? i am expecting to move in 2 years to midland/odessa so i find it hard to justify buying nice/new furniture... its also hard to find good stuff on CL, in addition to not having a truck to transport anything thats already assembled. i feel like walmart is my only option, and that doesnt make me too happy =/

Weekend trip to IKEA?

that sounds like a good idea, but wheres the closest ikea at??!

edit: nevermind, i checked ikeas website and the closest ikea is 325 miles away =(

Last edited:
that sounds like a good idea, but wheres the closest ikea at??!

edit: nevermind, i checked ikeas website and the closest ikea is 325 miles away =(

Yeah, the closest one is in Frisco right outside of Dallas.

I have a really silly question, but are you guys planning to bring a backpack to orientation tomorrow? It says we need to bring our laptops and I can either bring it in a backpack or in a little sleeve. I don't want to look like a weird overachiever or something if I'm the only one with a backpack! haha

I have a really silly question, but are you guys planning to bring a backpack to orientation tomorrow? It says we need to bring our laptops and I can either bring it in a backpack or in a little sleeve. I don't want to look like a weird overachiever or something if I'm the only one with a backpack! haha

I think I brought mine in a tote bag last year but some people brought backpacks... you will be going to get ID's made, pick up coats, etc so if you would be more comfortable carrying it around in a backpack that is fine. You will also get a binder with all the forms you have to fill out plus random info about Lubbock, the school, etc.