Texas Tech Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do not study over the summer.

Agreed - it won't help you and you'll be mad you wasted the last months of freedom. ;-)

I used "Big Moore's" for the blue boxes and it helped a lot. They are very, very high-yield for our exams. BRS is great for review, but if you're one that needs more content than an outline to remember things it won't be enough.

I have no opinion on Embryology. I don't think any of the books I had were very worthwhile.

You will definitely want a Netter's atlas. Your tank will need one, also. I suggest buying one and ripping out the pages to put in a three-ring binder. It will take some time to get it hole-punched and everything, but this will make your life in the anatomy lab much easier.

Anatomy will not kill you. It's hard and lab is required (and necessary if you want to do well), but for the most part it's enjoyable. Towards the end it gets really exhausting and you just want to finish....but you'll like it for the most part. None of medical school, in my opinion, has been nearly as awful as people were making it out to be.

Let me reiterate GoBaylor and myself again: DO NOT STUDY THIS SUMMER.

P.S. You do NOT want to use your personal Netter's in the lab. The ones that go in lab, stay in lab. They get disgusting.

Members don't see this ad.

Financial Aid packages are in as of about an hour ago. What would you all recommend accepting? I don't wanna have to pay back more than I have to!

If one of you old bucks wouldn't mind, could you post a kind of breakdown on what things cost and what we can expect?

THANKS

Regarding books, and anatomy: Since you are required to go to lab for that block, you do get some stuff fresh in your mind every day. Unfortunately, for someone like me who didn't really read ahead, I had to make up in reading/cramming/memorizing later on before each test. My opinion is that if you want to stay caught up, you can read a book like Baby Moore's and get an idea of what you'll be messing with in lab. I switched books like mad (started off with BRS only...not so smart for me) for anatomy but settled for the most part on Baby Moore's I think.. and Big Moore's for blue box clinical correlations. If you get a hold of the resource/scribe CD, there are also old 'box notes' that I really liked for the second and third tests because they were condensed with important info...
For all the other classes so far this year, I haven't used many books though I have bought a handful (Rapid Review Biochem, Wheater's Histology) and also checked out a few from the Student Affairs office. All the classes EXCEPT anatomy are pretty much all lecture based (with some histology and now immunology labs spaced in between), so I mainly studied from lectures for our tests. Hopefully that'll be enough background for when I start studying next year for 'the big one'...

With regards to financial aid, I'm not one to categorize what my expenses are- instead, I just try to keep under a reasonable limit every month. In case you didn't know, you can still take out as much loans as you want (up to your maximum), and then return any amount to the school you desire (I wrote a check) within something like 90 days of the disbursal date with no interest accrued on the returned amount. At least that how it should be if things haven't changed from this past year. How that may help you is that you can live how you want to live for your first month in school, and then project your own expenses for the year from that and return any extra you may have borrowed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Budgeting really depends on the person-

rent can range from $300-850/month depending on if you have roommate and where you live

I pay around $100/month in utilities for my own (larger) townhouse

Other things in my budget

$300/food (could go less but I like to grab stuff out and have plenty of easy precut fruits available)
$90 cable/internet
$90 misc. (beauty, entertainment, etc)
$100 clothing (I love shopping)
$ insurance (car and medical)- no clue how much that cost
$100/month for car expenses (gas and then also stuff like oil changes)
$200/semester for ink (I print all the notes so use a lot of ink)

those are the bigger things- I think each person has their own needs/priorities

Financial Aid packages are in as of about an hour ago. What would you all recommend accepting? I don't wanna have to pay back more than I have to!

If one of you old bucks wouldn't mind, could you post a kind of breakdown on what things cost and what we can expect?

THANKS

I'm going to emphasize that the "what things cost" varies SOOOOO much based on what kind of lifestyle you want to live and how much outside support you have. (like spouse, or rich parents, etc.)

One thing I do is I transfer my whole loan amount to my savings and then each month i give myself a monthly allotment, (1300) that way i can track what i'm spending and know that i'll always have some extra left over for unforseen expenses (like a $200 vet bill when my dog got sick). I wouldn't worry about taking out the whole amount, like what NFS said, you can always give it back (I paid back all of the interest for my first year and with what i have left over this year i'll give it back in that 90 day period to knock down my principal this summer)

Oh and if you don't accept stuff they are going to take it out of the subsidized loan first (the one that you don't have to pay interest on) so it doesn't make a huge difference whether you accept it or not. You'll still have the same amount collecting interest.

Some things you might not know about though is to set aside a little money for student organizations. They are typically pretty cheap (free to 30 bucks) but it's a great idea to join some and you'll have the opportunity to join them during orientation week.

oh and to whoever asked about studying over the summer. i'm kind of an ultimate nerd who LOVED anatomy and COULD NOT WAIT to start med school. I didn't hardcore study, but I did start the anatomy material a week early (when everything was loaded onto webct) since i was bored in lubbock anyway and I think that gave me a huge benefit because i had more time to spare that first week or two to get used to school. I did really well in anatomy too especially on that first test so starting a week early was a good idea for me. My biggest advice is to read the chapter/material the night BEFORE lab. It will make Lab so much easier and you'll get a lot out of it. It isn't for everyone, but it worked GREAT for myself.

I am on the hunt for my medical school laptop. I went my entire undergrad without one. I know apples have been banned; however, are there any certain laptops yall have found to be cool, or are there any features you wish your laptop had that it does not ?

I am on the hunt for my medical school laptop. I went my entire undergrad without one. I know apples have been banned; however, are there any certain laptops yall have found to be cool, or are there any features you wish your laptop had that it does not ?

I can't really think of any specifics to recommend- I think my Dell XPS is fine... I would say just make sure you have enough space to store documents and then the rest is really up to you. I would recommend buying an external hard drive. You will obviously want the new Microsoft Office but if it isn't installed on your pc you can get it for free through Tech (a download). The only thing I can say is that my pc is 17" and I would have gotten a smaller once since I have it up on campus a lot and it is heavier.

Also, I bought mine through Best Buy and got the Geek Squad black tie package which covers anything I need for 3 years... I have already used it a couple times (hard drive crashed, and then routine service) and I love that I get to move to front of the line since I am a priority customer which means less time without a pc when anything messes up.

I'm avoiding studying (test on mon) so i'll give my 2 cents on the laptop.

Get whatever you want ;) the only thing you have to have it for is to take exams and quizzes. They claim you need a dell, but I have yet to figure out why. I think they just have a contract with them. I personally built a dell (latitude E6500) it's nice, but i probably spent more on it than I needed to.

I carry mine with me EVERYDAY though (makes class a lot easier if it is a bad lecturer you can do other stuff) so just make sure you like it. Other than that, the sky is the limit. I think NFS had a desktop already so he bought a refurbished tablet pc for a lot less than I paid for my laptop and i'm pretty sure his works just fine. So yeah.. the sky's the limit :) have fun picking one out. :cool:

I'll echo the sentiment that "anything that works and that you like" will work...except Apples (or Linux-only laptops). The actual requirements for the laptop you need are fairly tame and generally just to ensure that you run the computerized testing OK.

About the computers I have, AgShan's got it right. :thumbup: I also did not use a laptop in undergrad- I had a desktop instead. Right before winter break, I put together a (mostly) new desktop, reusing the power supply and hard drives, and gave the the old desktop to my dad. I personally like my (used) tablet PC because even though it's actually 3 years old now (bought it used last year), it runs all the basics (school stuff, Hulu... :D ) pretty quickly. I also swapped in a solid state hard drive to help speed things up and hopefully make sure I don't have HDD failure when jostling my tablet around. The 'tablet' feature of the tablet PC is valuable to me because I never really want to print out paper notes again if I have to... all I do is 'print' the notes we have to Microsoft OneNote, read/annotate there, and review as needed. If anything, it beats having to get and maintain a printer...

If the laptop you get for med school is going to be your primary (or only) computer, then I'd make doubly sure that it is capable enough for your needs (for instance, if you happen to game intensively... :smuggrin:), or like justdoit mentioned, that it has an adequate service plan should you hate dealing with computer problems.

Is a limited amount of free printing available or are we responsible for all printing?

Is a limited amount of free printing available or are we responsible for all printing?

you can print in student affairs if you bring your own paper but if you want to print when they aren't open (ie after 5pm or weekends) you will pay or have your own printer. Also they only have one computer in student affairs so you might have to wait for it.

you can print in student affairs if you bring your own paper but if you want to print when they aren't open (ie after 5pm or weekends) you will pay or have your own printer. Also they only have one computer in student affairs so you might have to wait for it.

Do a lot of students use the student affairs printer for slides and notes? I'm not sure whether I need to buy a printer.

Do a lot of students use the student affairs printer for slides and notes? I'm not sure whether I need to buy a printer.
Places I know that you can print at:

Student Affairs office: School of Medicine only; there might be another open computer & printer at the Office of Curriculum right across from here as well.

Student Services center: Two computers/printers (ideally, I think one might have been out of order last time I was there), but open to all HSC students (Medicine, Nursing, PT/OT, etc.)

Library: Limited 'free' credit (maybe 30-50 pages per semester), costs something after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought a printer and use it all the time- I think it really depends on your study style- I need my notes printed so I can write on them and higlight things. Others just use programs to take notes and review them on their laptops.

Also some of the apartment complexes have printers in buisness centers.

I bought a printer and use it all the time- I think it really depends on your study style- I need my notes printed so I can write on them and higlight things. Others just use programs to take notes and review them on their laptops.

I also bought a printer.

This "Brother" laser printer is by far the best decision I made in regards to school supplies: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-21...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274129851&sr=1-1

It prints SO fast and we've only used the ink it came with so far. I've printed A LOT of pages of paper, the ink lasts forever (if you get one PM me for a trick to prolong ink usage with this printer). It has wireless capability and is easy to use. Definitely $100 that has paid for itself many times over.

Places I know that you can print at:

Student Affairs office: School of Medicine only; there might be another open computer & printer at the Office of Curriculum right across from here as well.

Student Services center: Two computers/printers (ideally, I think one might have been out of order last time I was there), but open to all HSC students (Medicine, Nursing, PT/OT, etc.)

Library: Limited 'free' credit (maybe 30-50 pages per semester), costs something after that.

I also bought a printer.

This "Brother" laser printer is by far the best decision I made in regards to school supplies: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-21...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274129851&sr=1-1

It prints SO fast and we've only used the ink it came with so far. I've printed A LOT of pages of paper, the ink lasts forever (if you get one PM me for a trick to prolong ink usage with this printer). It has wireless capability and is easy to use. Definitely $100 that has paid for itself many times over.

I also like to have my notes printed out so I can write on them. Having a printer may be worth it then. I will look into printers including the "Brother." Thanks for the information :)

I recieved my campus assignmet in the mail today. I am in Lubbock for all four years. The letter came in a regular sized envelope. The letter stated this year was a very hard year to process due to the overwhelming majority of students picking Lubbock as their number one choice.

I am excited!

PS

thanks all of the MS1's for the computer information.

Last edited:
The letter stated this year was a very hard year to process due to the overwhelming majority of students picking Lubbock as their number one choice..

That is normal- most people just want to stay in Lubbock especially if they haven't been to West Texas before to explore the other locations. I actually had Amarillo as my 1st choice and that is where I got- I couldn't be happier. Congrats and we look forward to seeing you all next fall!

I read the previous posts about apartments and there was a mention about South Lubbock being better. The Lubbock apartment listing book divides the apartments into Southwest and Southeast Lubbock. Which is better? Also, why is North Lubb not recommended?

Looking forward to getting my campus assignment in the mail too!!

I read the previous posts about apartments and there was a mention about South Lubbock being better. The Lubbock apartment listing book divides the apartments into Southwest and Southeast Lubbock. Which is better? Also, why is North Lubb not recommended?

I'm SW and really love it. I think SE is fine too though. North Lubbock is a lower income area. Some of the complexes are fine (Grove, Ashton Pointe, etc.) numerous students live in Lynwood Townhomes but there has been several break-ins in that area this past year... I think the big thing is to avoid NE lubbock (with the exception of the underground apartments right off university but those complexes are louder). These are my opinions so maybe someone else who is an MSI currently can chime in

Southeast and Southwest are going to be similar in terms of safety and cost-of-living, I think. I would go with SW, simply because it's going to be about 10 min. closer to the school. I love SW Lubbock (but we own a house in verrry SW Lubbock). We almost bought in SE and I'm really happy we ended up over here. The area of town is newer and, as I mentioned earlier, closer to the school. North Lubbock is fine, as long as you look close to the school and stay away from the East side of town. It's not going to be as nice as South LBK, but you'll probably end up paying less.

I am officially ready for medical school

Titers are finished

Vaccines are finished

Campus assigned

Finally finished the boring safety and sexual harrasment certification (zzzzzzzzzz) :sleep:

Wow pompeii, way to be on top of the vaccines/titers :thumbup:

Did you sign up for a big sibling? if so have you gotten the information about them yet? I'm just curious because we (1st years) haven't heard anything yet, but if I remember right last year we got our big sibs when we got our campus assignments.

Titers are finished

Vaccines are finished

Campus assigned

Finally finished the boring safety and sexual harrasment certification (zzzzzzzzzz) :sleep:

Wow, look at you! I could learn a lesson or two from you, I didn't get my last Hep B shot until May of THIS year lol. :-X Oops. Where is your 3rd and 4th year assignment?

P.S. I'll be interested to hear the answer to AgShan's question about Big Sib's as well if anyone knows!

P.S. I'll be interested to hear the answer to AgShan's question about Big Sib's as well if anyone knows!

The names of our Big Sib's were included in the letter with our campus assignenments.

Titers are finished

Vaccines are finished

Campus assigned

Nice! I'm almost done with the immunization requirements. All I have left is the 2-step TB, which I waited too long to do. Looks like I won't make the June 1st deadline :( Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem.

On a more positive note, my campus assignment is Amarillo :thumbup:. I'm really looking forward to starting this fall!

The names of our Big Sib's were included in the letter with our campus assignenments.

I'm glad that you found out- I wish they would let those of us who volunteered to have a Little Sib know if we had one. You might send an email to your Big if you want to get in touch since we don't know who our littles are right now.

Nice! I'm almost done with the immunization requirements. All I have left is the 2-step TB, which I waited too long to do. Looks like I won't make the June 1st deadline :( Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem.

On a more positive note, my campus assignment is Amarillo :thumbup:. I'm really looking forward to starting this fall!

I'm not going to flat out say skip the deadline....but I will tell you that they offer the 2-step Tb for free here at the school. ;) Just make sure you get it the first week of school in order to avoid making them harass you with emails.

Do most people typically order books online before classes start? Or should you wait until you're there?

Tmac don't worry about the TB. I think they'll be thrilled if you even get it before Aug. 1st.

Tex - it's up to you. If you search on the ttuhsc/som website you can find the list of req. & recommended books (if it is up for next year). I buy all mine via online, so i do like to order at least a few before each block begins. Some people hardly use ANY books while others depend on them.

For Anatomy I personally recommend: NOT buying the embryology book they require and instead buy High Yield Embryology.

DO buy Moore's Clinically oriented anatomy. I really liked the full version (the BLUE BOXES are KEY!!!) but i do know people who preferred the "baby moore's" because it is more condensed.

I also really liked Board Review Series (BRS) anatomy. :thumbup:

I totally can't wait to hear from my little sib! Hope they contact me soon
*hint hint* email your big sibs ;)

On a more positive note, my campus assignment is Amarillo :thumbup:. I'm really looking forward to starting this fall![/QUOTE]

I am assigned to Amarillo too!! Looking forward to meeting everyone and my Big!!!

ooops, sorry I'm still learning the functions on this forum. The first line above was supposed to be a quote

Tmac don't worry about the TB. I think they'll be thrilled if you even get it before Aug. 1st.

Tex - it's up to you. If you search on the ttuhsc/som website you can find the list of req. & recommended books (if it is up for next year). I buy all mine via online, so i do like to order at least a few before each block begins. Some people hardly use ANY books while others depend on them.

For Anatomy I personally recommend: NOT buying the embryology book they require and instead buy High Yield Embryology.

DO buy Moore's Clinically oriented anatomy. I really liked the full version (the BLUE BOXES are KEY!!!) but i do know people who preferred the "baby moore's" because it is more condensed.

I also really liked Board Review Series (BRS) anatomy. :thumbup:

I totally can't wait to hear from my little sib! Hope they contact me soon
*hint hint* email your big sibs ;)

I buy my books off Amazon, you can get new ones pretty cheap there. I agree with AgShan, don't buy the embryo book. High Yield only. Embryo sucks enough with that awful required book.

Moore's is great. I have Big and Baby Moore. I liked the full version for Blue Boxes (Catching on yet?? - You NEED TO KNOW THESE BLUE BOXES). I like Baby Moore for chapter reading. BRS was wonderful for outline, review and practice questions.

And agreed - EMAIL YOUR BIG SIB!

Awesome, thanks!! So what is "baby Moore"? The only Moore book I see on the list seems to be the "big Moore" one.

And I'm headed to Amarillo too!! Woo hoo!!

Awesome, thanks!! So what is "baby Moore"? The only Moore book I see on the list seems to be the "big Moore" one.

And I'm headed to Amarillo too!! Woo hoo!!

"Baby Moore" is not on the required list. It's a condensed version of the "Big Moore" book - Clinically Oriented Anatomy. That book is great for Blue Boxes, but it has SO much information that some people get overwhelmed. It is literally HUGE. It weighs like 6 lbs lol.

Baby Moore's:
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Cli...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275237582&sr=1-1

I know people who read Big Moore's cover-to-cover and did well in the class, but I also know people who didn't even buy that book and still did really well. I personally used Big Moore's for Blue Boxes and Baby Moore's for reading.

I was hoping to get a little advice from some current students, or students who have seen the apartments around Lubbock. I'm not from the area, so I called student services for assistance.

The woman told me to look into The Edge, which looked great, but was just a little out of my price range. I asked her about The Fountains, Quail Creek, and other places I've heard about through SDN or facebook (Las Colinas is booked), and she told me to stay away from that area of town due to break-ins and general run down-ness.

She suggested Summer Place or Summertime Villas instead. These complexes all look so similar online! Does anyone have any opinion about them? Any thoughts on what she said about break-ins in the area around the mall?

Thank you so much! I know we've covered living arrangements ad nauseum already, but I really want to make sure I don't pick a scary or dumpy place.

I was hoping to get a little advice from some current students, or students who have seen the apartments around Lubbock. I'm not from the area, so I called student services for assistance.

The woman told me to look into The Edge, which looked great, but was just a little out of my price range. I asked her about The Fountains, Quail Creek, and other places I've heard about through SDN or facebook (Las Colinas is booked), and she told me to stay away from that area of town due to break-ins and general run down-ness.

She suggested Summer Place or Summertime Villas instead. These complexes all look so similar online! Does anyone have any opinion about them? Any thoughts on what she said about break-ins in the area around the mall?

Thank you so much! I know we've covered living arrangements ad nauseum already, but I really want to make sure I don't pick a scary or dumpy place.

Quail Creek is not in a bad area of town. There are several med students who live there and haven't had any problems with anything crime-related. I don't know anything about Summertime Villas, but I personally think Quail Creek is a great price (med student discount) for the amount of space you get. Also check out Ashton Pointe, but it may be about the same price as the Edge.

Edit: You may also want to scroll back in this thread, there have been several posts on this subject.

Thanks so much, Aggie! I did read what others posted about apartments, I mainly wanted to make sure people were not actually having safety problems in that area of town. Will also call Ashton Pointe. Thanks a lot!

Thanks so much, Aggie! I did read what others posted about apartments, I mainly wanted to make sure people were not actually having safety problems in that area of town. Will also call Ashton Pointe. Thanks a lot!

Just want to emphasize that quail creek is in a really safe part of town. i'm female and live by myself. I feel TOTALLY safe and go jogging all of the time. I'm actually in a neighborhood (whereas the fountains is more business area). I take my dog out at night (i.e. dark) and have never felt worried or concerned. There is also a Lubbock police officer that lives in the apt. complex and is on call 24/7 for security purposes.

Some people aren't a fan of it for other reasons, but definitely just as safe if not safer than most other apt. complexes :) :thumbup:

I would agree that both Quail creek and The Fountains are in a great part of town (honestly I think it is just as nice as the areas around campus and with less undergrads so MUCH quieter) I am in Las Colinas which is down the street from The Fountains and have never had an issue. I am also a single female and I frequently return from the library around midnight and haven't been scared at all. Also I believe the Fountains are gated (not sure exactly how often they are closed or not)

Hello to all, I just moved to Lubbock last Thursday, I am starting school this fall (MS1). I am living at quail creek and I think that its pretty decent for the price. Also the place does seem to be safe.
On another note I would love to get in touch with MS2 students that want to get rid of some books. Please free to PM me. My campus assignment is Lubbock and I will be thrilled to get in touch with MS1's already in the area.

Hey! Congrats to all the new MS1s! I'm a new MS2 (as of last Friday, woohoo!)

I'm out of town this week, but as soon as I'm back in Lubbock I'll let y'all know what books I have available so you can buy them at a discount and start flipping through them.

Also, please spread the word, I'm working on AMSA hosting a book fair and equipment sale during the first week of classes. Hopefully y'all will be able to explore the different books and try out some medical equipment before putting down money.

On that note, what would y'all like to see or do either during orientation week or in the first couple of weeks of class?

What is the plug in/ power supply situation like. In the class rooms and testing rooms are there plug ins for every student ?

I just do not want to worry about my power going out on my laptop while testing or taking notes.

Thanks guys!!

What is the plug in/ power supply situation like. In the class rooms and testing rooms are there plug ins for every student ?

I just do not want to worry about my power going out on my laptop while testing or taking notes.

Thanks guys!!

In the classrooms there are little boxes that pop out of the desk top that have power and internet connections- though internet can be gotten wirelessly

In the testing room/histo lab there are also power boxes and internet boxes and you will need to have an ethernet cable to plug in to take exams (the wireless in this room is not dependable)- the IT people bring some cables which some people bum but they do want you to have your own.

In the library there are also power/net in each study room (if you are lucky enough to get one) if not there are some power boxes in the floors of the library.

So basically you will always be able to charge your laptop and it is recommended to get an ethernet cable- I have a 6ft cable which is great when I am in a study room so it will stretch but a 2-3ft cable is all you will need for the testing room/histo lab.

Hey guys, I have a ton of used (some not so much) books you will either need or want for yrs 1-3. A friend of mine just graduated, left town and left behind books too. I'm not going to list them all, but first $50 gets the entire lot (many were >$100 to begin with).

Hi thackl, just want to make sure you mean $50 for all of them together? If so, then I would love to buy the books. I won't be in Lubbock until mid July though. Thanks!

Thanks to all the MS1's for answering all my computer and plug-in questions!

I thought of another question.

I see we are required to purchase an Atlas of Human Anatomy.

I have looked to see what students from others schools thought and each school had their own opinion.

What would yall think is the best for TTUHSC SOM.

Netter vs Rohen vs Grant's Atlas

What are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks MS1's yall are more help than yall will ever know!

Hi thackl, just want to make sure you mean $50 for all of them together? If so, then I would love to buy the books. I won't be in Lubbock until mid July though. Thanks!
It's $50 for all and many of the books mentioned in this thread are in the pile. I want them out of my rent house. First to come gets them.... I could sell them individually if it were the money. I realy just want them out. My last tenant (a graduated med student) is out and the new tenant cannot use them. Many of my books are there too and in the 'pile' :)

Hi there, I am in lubbock now and I will like to come pick up the books today if possible