Texas Tech Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggie08

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the class of 2014 going to TTUHSC School of Medicine in Lubbock.

Ask questions, post wisdom and meet your future classmates!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys. that form that they want us to turn in, its not a binding kind of thing right? because i want to hold on to a couple of acceptances and take some time to make a decision... also, does it need to be walked to the school or is there an address they want it sent?

also, congrats to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys...count me in! It'll be TTUHSC or one other school for me, so I guess I'm allowed to join in here??!!

hey guys. that form that they want us to turn in, its not a binding kind of thing right? because i want to hold on to a couple of acceptances and take some time to make a decision... also, does it need to be walked to the school or is there an address they want it sent?

also, congrats to everyone!

Hope they don't want me to walk it in...lol. There is an address in the email acceptance they sent me. And I believe it is also on the form that you have to print out.

Hello everyone! I am really excited about next year and meeting all of my future classmates. Anyone thought about starting a facebook group?

Just saw your MDapps McCoy...you're not old, haha!! Glad to see another non-trad getting love from Lubbock. And about the facebook group, sounds like you've volunteered yourself...

ah. damn im ******ed. thanks lol

I had to look up the address then verify it with Linda. I didn't get any address in my email or on the form.

It should be:

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions | STOP 6216
3601 4th Street
Lubbock, TX 79430-6216

I'm really excited about Tech and I really loved the school... though I am debating between Tech and A&M. Anybody who has been accepted to both provide any insight between the two? I'm sure I will get a great education at both and the only major obvious thing is location, which doesn't matter all that much to me.

Hey guys!! I was also accepted to Tech on Friday. I still have 2 interviews left, but so far this is my top choice. I mailed in the form they sent. Anyone know when we should get our acceptance packet in the mail? I'm so anxious! YES someone start the fb group!

Congrats 2014-ers!!!!! I'm excited to see all of y'all next year!!!!!!! :hardy:

hey guys. that form that they want us to turn in, its not a binding kind of thing right? because i want to hold on to a couple of acceptances and take some time to make a decision...

no it's not a binding thing, you can hold onto as many acceptances you want until January 15th.

(but you all might as well hang up your waiting-boots, because tech is AWESOME and you won't find a better place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D )

I'm really excited about Tech and I really loved the school... though I am debating between Tech and A&M. Anybody who has been accepted to both provide any insight between the two? I'm sure I will get a great education at both and the only major obvious thing is location, which doesn't matter all that much to me.

i got acceptances at both... see my mdapps for why i choose tech over the other schools.

Just saw your MDapps McCoy...you're not old, haha!! Glad to see another non-trad getting love from Lubbock. And about the facebook group, sounds like you've volunteered yourself...

Thanks canjosh! Congrats on your acceptance! I checked out your mdapps and it looks like you have me beat by a couple of years :cool:

I am attempting to create a facebook group, however, I have the computer skills of a caveman. So the link should be up in an hour or so. If any one is interested in joining you are instantly promoted to an administrator to make it pretty for everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Glad someone else joined. I was definitely feeling a little lonesome.

I must say I am quite disappointed to see that none of those 4 members have profile pics that look like your avatar. You mean....that's not really you!?!?!?!

;)

Does the school offer a second look type program? How about an informal visit with the 'boss'?

Last edited:
I had to look up the address then verify it with Linda. I didn't get any address in my email or on the form.

It should be:

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions | STOP 6216
3601 4th Street
Lubbock, TX 79430-6216

Tech vs A&M huh? I'm an MSIV at Tech now. I applied before pre-matching was available. I think it is funny that you are deciding between these two schools because I interviewed at all TMDSAS schools and submitted a final rank that included Texas Tech #1 and A&M dead last. A&M can also surely get you wherever you want to go professionally, but my completely biased opinion is that Tech is awesome. Good luck deciding. :thumbup:

Glad to see this thread up. I'm still deciding between Tech and UTMB but guess I can post in here? Anyone have any advice for making a decision between tech and UTMB?

I gotta go join the facebook page now as well.

Glad to see this thread up. I'm still deciding between Tech and UTMB but guess I can post in here? Anyone have any advice for making a decision between tech and UTMB?

I gotta go join the facebook page now as well.

UTMB was much higher up on my rank list, but that was pre-hurricane. Pre-hurricane UTMB was a fantastic place to train. Regardless what the school tells you, it has not gotten back to pre-hurricane status. Many good MSIV's are not applying to UTMB for residency because of their shaky status. In my opinion, the residents won't be of the same caliber as before the hurricane because top applicants are scared to apply there. Residents are a major source of teaching for medical students in the third and fourth year. I'm not saying it can't recover or to not consider UTMB, but understand it is in a shaky situation still.

UTMB previously had residency programs in Austin - they don't any more or are currently losing them. UTSW was asked to take over UTMB's regional campuses and has agreed to do so. The Austin program I applied to already emailed me to inform me that they are now a UTSW program. Why would another school take over a residency other than internal problems? - I don't know.

Someone is probably going to question my paragraphs above. The information I posted is mainly from program directors at other programs (who all seem to warn me about UTMB), my faculty advisors, and many current applicants I know avoiding the program.

For the record, UTMB was third on my rank list 4 years ago, and at the time I would have been plenty happy to have matched there.

I would probably not have ranked it that high if I were ranking it today......but I'm not applying to medical school right now. Good luck with your decision.

For the record, UTMB was third on my rank list 4 years ago, and at the time I would have been plenty happy to have matched there.

I would probably not have ranked it that high if I were ranking it today......but I'm not applying to medical school right now. Good luck with your decision.

TexasPhysician, before we get another "should I choose Tech or school X", would you mind sharing your entire rank list from your application year, and maybe a couple other thoughts on schools you haven't mentioned yet?

For my own curiosity, what did you think about TCOM?

TexasPhysician, before we get another "should I choose Tech or school X", would you mind sharing your entire rank list from your application year, and maybe a couple other thoughts on schools you haven't mentioned yet?

For my own curiosity, what did you think about TCOM?

I'm pretty sure this was my order:
1. Tech
2. UTSW - great school, great location, competitive atmosphere
3. UTMB - great curriculum
4. UTSA - horrible 1st/2nd year curriculum but everything else was great
5. UTH - nothing really impressed me at the time but nothing really neg.
6. TCOM - great facilities, just lost their hospital, clinical years in flux
7. A&M - if you can't say anything nice.........

This was all based on when I applied of course. I'm not sure if they ever changed the UTSA curriculum or not, but I hope so. Complete disaster....and my ex-roommate who is graduating from there agrees with me.

Aggie, Maggie, or Texas Physician:

Is there a second look program? I want to say there isn't one, but I just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:
Aggie, Maggie, or Texas Physician:

Is there a second look program? I want to say there isn't one, but I just wanted to make sure.

I don't believe there is an official second-look program, but if you are seriously interested you may be able to make a meeting with Kim Peck, MD or Linda Prado. There would definitely be a med student willing to show you around and talk to you (I would if you needed it) before or after your meeting.

Those two ladies seem to have some influence in decisions.

I don't believe there is an official second-look program, but if you are seriously interested you may be able to make a meeting with Kim Peck, MD or Linda Prado. There would definitely be a med student willing to show you around and talk to you (I would if you needed it) before or after your meeting.

Thanks...mostly it would be for my wife to see the school, and Lubbock for that matter. We'd probably also look around at housing options. When I came home from the interview my wife was surprised about the enthusiasm I had for Tech, honestly I was surprised as well. She's on board with the decision, but I'd like for her to see the place before July 2009! :thumbup:

Thanks aggie, I might just take you up on that sometime. :)

Thanks...mostly it would be for my wife to see the school, and Lubbock for that matter. We'd probably also look around at housing options. When I came home from the interview my wife was surprised about the enthusiasm I had for Tech, honestly I was surprised as well. She's on board with the decision, but I'd like for her to see the place before July 2009! :thumbup:

Thats funny, I was about to write the exact same thing.

There will also be a "Spring Training" next semester or early summer for those who pick TTU. So, if your wife didn't get to come visit prior to that spouses are most definitely welcome for that event. They do a school tour and aid students in the housing search! Plus, you get to meet your new classmates. :) However, if you're back in the area before that and want to come up to the school let me know!

Thanks aggie, I might just take you up on that sometime. :)

Sure, the offer stands for anyone considering us. I am really passionate about people seeing how great Tech is. I was less than excited to move (back) to the Panhandle and was biased against Tech for a lot of superficial reasons. Now that I am here I could not be happier with the education I am getting and I am totally willing to help anyone out with their decision. I was also 100% convinced I would hate Lubbock and I like it just as much as I've liked anywhere I have lived.

Those of you who have been accepted, have you guys received an acceptance package/letter in the mail yet? I prematched on 11/13 via e-mail. I sent out the response form, and have not received anything from the admissions office yet.

Congratulations to everyone who matched here! :thumbup:

I really do think Tech is an amazing place to go to medical school and coming from VERY southeast texas it was quite a change in scenery but I'm loving it and couldn't imagine being anywhere else!

I won't say anything about it being "better" than other schools, but just know that if you do choose to come here you have:

1) one of the smallest classes in Tx for 1st and 2nd years and then an even smaller group of students for 3rd and 4th years which means a lot of 1 on 1 in clinics. As a first year i've already scrubbed into surgery and gotten to see some amazing things!

2) professors who REALLY care about you! We aren't a big "research" school, so most of the professors really throw their heart and soul into teaching us.

3)Amenities of a big university (Rec center, football games, a trillion coffee shops, intramurals etc.)

4) Cheap cost of living (but still safe and nice)

5) Friendly west texas neighbors and community support. While Lubbock itself is only 200,000 people everytime I have been in clinic I have always talked to people who are driving or being flown into lubbock from new mexico, amarillo, and many other small towns hours away.

If you have any questions or want advice feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how prematch works at Texas Tech? Have the majority of students already received acceptances at Texas Tech?

Does that mean if I interviewed at Texas Tech but did not receive an acceptance, that I must match at this point in time?

Thanks a bunch!

Does anyone know how prematch works at Texas Tech? Have the majority of students already received acceptances at Texas Tech?

Does that mean if I interviewed at Texas Tech but did not receive an acceptance, that I must match at this point in time?

Thanks a bunch!

Hey TXkid9! Welcome to the forums!!!

Pre-match isn't over yet: even if you didn't get an acceptance last week, you still have a shot at receiving a pre-match acceptance up until December 31st.

There will undoubtedly be a couple/few more waves of acceptances between now and Dec 31 11:59pm. (albeit small waves, more than likely)

THEN, if you still haven't received an acceptance as of Jan 1, the match (which happens Feb 1) will be the next acceptance opportunity.
If you don't receive a pre-match acceptance between now and new years, don't sweat: LOTS and LOTS and LOTs of our seats are filled through the match.

If you still don't get an acceptance through the match, there will be several waitlist opportunities right up until the first day of classes next July.

hope this helps!!!! I look forward to meeting you next year!!!!

Those of you who have been accepted, have you guys received an acceptance package/letter in the mail yet? I prematched on 11/13 via e-mail. I sent out the response form, and have not received anything from the admissions office yet.

I pre-matched on 11/13 and received my packet yesterday :)

Hello,
I was accepted into the MD/MBA program and was wondering how to go about finding a place to live in Lubbock. Do you recommend buying a house or going for an apartment? I am still waiting for the Match but do want to start planning as early as possible because I really do like Texas Tech.

Hello,
I was accepted into the MD/MBA program and was wondering how to go about finding a place to live in Lubbock. Do you recommend buying a house or going for an apartment? I am still waiting for the Match but do want to start planning as early as possible because I really do like Texas Tech.

My husband and I live in Lubbock and have been contemplating buying a house. It seems like there are some really inexpensive, decent houses on the market right now, so if you're in the position to buy, it seems like a good idea. There are also a ton of apartment complexes and there will be lots of houses to rent when school lets out in May.

Hello,

First of all: CONGRATS on your MD/MBA acceptance. I don't know how all of those dual-degree students do it. It is quite impressive and they all seem to be doing just fine.

Now on to your question. Housing in Lubbock is really low-cost, no matter what route you decide to go. I think a majority of my classmates live in apartments. We bought a house in July, because my husband has an income and we were financially stable and in a position to do it. I'm not sure I would not recommend this route unless you have another income (spouse or significant other) or are planning to have some roomies. If we rented a house like we bought it would be significantly more per month than our mortgage. We couldn't go the apartment route (we have 3 dogs that need a backyard....yes....3....yes....we're crazy), so we had to have a house and decided buying made sense for us.

Good luck! Hopefully some of the other MS1 & MS2 students will get on here and post their apt. complex names. I don't know the names of the ones I have friends living at.

www.lubbockrentz.com is a great place for checking out rent houses, too.

if you're interested in appartment-ing: I, as well as about 20-ish 1st and 2nd years, live at Las Colinas. I love love love it.

It's right off the loop, and takes about 5-8 mins to get to campus depending on how I hit two red-lights.

The complex is really really really quite (they must have some insane soundproofing going on in between the walls), and is mostly full of grad-students/young professionals. The staff and maintenence is also great!!!

PLUS THEY GIVE A $100/MONTH DISCOUNT TO MEDICAL STUDENTS!!!!!!!!

I have a two bedroom/1.5 bathroom/full kitchen/livingroom/fireplace/TONS of closet space for $540/month!!!!!!!!!!

However, it fills up pretty quickly (mid-spring-ish), so it's good that you're thinking about it already.

The property is owned/managed by Madera Residentialand they have several other places in town that I believe also give med student discounts (at least i know parkridge place and quail creek do... not sure about any of the others).

Congrats on the MD/MBA thing :)

Gotta Plug my apartment complex!!! Quail Creek also gives the 100/month discount for medical or law students. Just outside of the loop, all you do is hit the loop and then get on marsha sharp freeway - literally 1 (maybe 2?) lights between my apartment and school so even though it looks far away it really isn't.

It's in a residential neighborhood and across the street from an elementary and middle school and I absolutely love it!

I used www.lubbockapartments.com for my search. Best of luck!

if you're interested in appartment-ing: I, as well as about 20-ish 1st and 2nd years, live at Las Colinas. I love love love it.

It's right off the loop, and takes about 5-8 mins to get to campus depending on how I hit two red-lights.

The complex is really really really quite (they must have some insane soundproofing going on in between the walls), and is mostly full of grad-students/young professionals. The staff and maintenence is also great!!!

PLUS THEY GIVE A $100/MONTH DISCOUNT TO MEDICAL STUDENTS!!!!!!!!

I have a two bedroom/1.5 bathroom/full kitchen/livingroom/fireplace/TONS of closet space for $540/month!!!!!!!!!!

However, it fills up pretty quickly (mid-spring-ish), so it's good that you're thinking about it already.

The property is owned/managed by Madera Residentialand they have several other places in town that I believe also give med student discounts (at least i know parkridge place and quail creek do... not sure about any of the others).

I lived there for 2 years, and I LOVED it.

Yes I did mine. Actually got the copy from the background check company today. Thankfully, I'm not on any terrorist watch lists or anything.