Texas Tech 2012 Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i didnt finish my critical thinking test because no one proctored the exam and was giving me time updates. after 9 hour day "at the office" as they like to put it you can watch your clock and critically think. how much weight does it have on getting into the program? that part of their interview needs major improvement. a clock ticking down with milliseconds flying by on the over heard projection screen would have been nice. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

i didnt finish my critical thinking test because no one proctored the exam and was giving me time updates. after 9 hour day "at the office" as they like to put it you can watch your clock and critically think. how much weight does it have on getting into the program? that part of their interview needs major improvement. a clock ticking down with milliseconds flying by on the over heard projection screen would have been nice. :cool:

jeez i really need to proofread lol.
1. "you cant watch the clock and critically think."
2. "over head projection screen"

:sleep:

I put all As on that test and got in. It's just to show them your learning style rather than knowledge. its ok Brah

Members don't see this ad :)
I stuck to my standard test taking tactics for the critical thinking test:

Knock out the easy stuff, come back to the hard stuff last.

If I remember correctly, I still had to get a blood titer for HepB and it turned out I had very low/undetectable level of antibodies for HepB so I ended up having to start the series again. I also had my first HepB series like 23 years ago so there you go.

Congrats on being accepted. I interview on Friday. How was your interview?

My interview in Abilene went really well..both personal and group! I just decided the best way to feel comfortable there was to start random Convos with ppl around me since we all were sitting in that one room the majority of the time! It also caused other nervous ppl to talk..so the rest of the interview we had a chatty group! PLUSSS...Mike Nall really knew how to make us all feel comfortable (esp. when he kept talking about his obsession with lifetime movies..hehe) At the end of it he said we were the most social group they'd seen for a while!

Overall, loved the staff and students...very very welcoming and although it's not my first choice, I definitely wouldn't mind going there, especially after interviewing with them! :)

If I remember correctly, I still had to get a blood titer for HepB and it turned out I had very low/undetectable level of antibodies for HepB so I ended up having to start the series again. I also had my first HepB series like 23 years ago so there you go.

Oh bummer. Did texas tech make you get a titer or did you decide to get one yourself?

Does anyone know what the dress code is for lectures?

I remember the current students saying there really was no dress code for lecture. As long as you don't come in pajamas, you're fine. And they also said you have to dress up for labs!

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview in Abilene went really well..both personal and group! I just decided the best way to feel comfortable there was to start random Convos with ppl around me since we all were sitting in that one room the majority of the time! It also caused other nervous ppl to talk..so the rest of the interview we had a chatty group! PLUSSS...Mike Nall really knew how to make us all feel comfortable (esp. when he kept talking about his obsession with lifetime movies..hehe) At the end of it he said we were the most social group they'd seen for a while!

Overall, loved the staff and students...very very welcoming and although it's not my first choice, I definitely wouldn't mind going there, especially after interviewing with them! :)

Did you interview on the 25th? I'm wondering if you were part of the table I sat at during our lunch break...we discussed about all pitching in for our own private jet! LOL!

I remember the current students saying there really was no dress code for lecture. As long as you don't come in pajamas, you're fine. And they also said you have to dress up for labs!
I love this so much. I won't mind dressing up once or twice a week, but I want to be comfortable! Jeans and a t-shirt.

Just got an e-mail notifying me that my application was forwarded to the adcom. So to answer my own question, TTUCOP is probably still sending out interview invitations.

Good luck! It looks like they added more interview dates, but Mike Schwettmann said they had like 700 applicants this year, so I'm not surprised they needed to.

Who's excited for Saturday anatomy lab in the fall?!

Oh bummer. Did texas tech make you get a titer or did you decide to get one yourself?

They made me get titers for HepB, MMR (which by the way gives you lifetime immunity if you've completed the series) and chickenpox just to show prove that I had antibodies for those three. I had to get Tdap, meningitis and Tb skin test in addition to the titers.

Those labs sucked!! I was hoping for y'all's sake that they stop doing it but I'm not sure if they're going to go ahead and do it since it is still listed on the master schedule...

I opened my mail today. I was so happy that there was confetti everywhere. SOOOO HAPPY!

I interviewed in Abilene yesterday and someone asked the same question. Some of the current pharmacy students told us that the dress code is business casual, so they recommended buying a few nice dress shirts, slacks, etc. once you find out that you got accepted. They said they have casual day on Friday where you can wear jeans and t-shirts but the rest of the week it is business casual/professional.

I opened my mail today. I was so happy that there was confetti everywhere. SOOOO HAPPY!
I got my letter too! When I read your post I didn't know you were serious about the confetti until I opened my letter and there was confetti everywhere! I thought that was so awesome! Lol

Lol, I received my letter today with conffetties.

I'm assigned at Abilene. Anyone also there?

@romylove,

I'm also thinking about room assignment. I haven't looked into much.
For the room you suggested, how much is it?

A little bit about me: as long as my room mate allows private time to sleep, study, and eat, as well as no overnight stay of the opposite gender in the living room I'm good. lol I don't mind pets as long as I don't have to come into contact with it. However, I do like to get to know my room mate better because we are living together so it might be hard.

I'm easy going and pretty calm. :"> I'm a girl by the way!

Those labs sucked!! I was hoping for y'all's sake that they stop doing it but I'm not sure if they're going to go ahead and do it since it is still listed on the master schedule...

Can you tell me about how that works? Is it weekly? Or monthly? Labs are in Lubbock if I remember correctly? I don't like the idea of driving 2 hours for lab lol.

I was assigned to Abilene and was an early decision. I have already signed a lease at the Grove. It is fairly close to campus so I am hoping that I made a good choice. It is already furnished which is a plus for me because I am tired of lugging all of my furniture around. Abilene peeps- Please let me know what apartments yall are interested in?!

So I realize that this is probably a bit early to get the ball rolling, but we should start thinking of living arrangements. After perusing the lists supplied by Tech and the students (plus websites) I am liking the 2/2 at Quail Creek.

Pros:
Really close to school.
Split bedrooms. (Privacy)
Rooms almost equal in size. (No fighting over who gets the big room! 13sq.ft. difference.)
Washer/dryer in unit. (No lugging heavy laundry baskets around the complex, no worrying about having quarters.)

Cons:
One bedroom has a walk-in closet, the other has two smaller closets. Could be an issue if both people have a lot of clothes.

If anyone else is interested in maybe splitting a place, I have great credit, 2 years of rental history, and am generally quiet. I will not be bringing any pets with me, but I am open to having a short-haired cat (medium and long haired breeds upset my allergies too much, so if you just can't live without Fluffy, it ain't gonna work out).

I am a non-smoker, and anyone interested should be as well. I have no gender preference for room mates (I used to live with 2 guys). I am unmarried and have no kids, so I would prefer the same.

That's about all I have for now. You can message me here or on Facebook. I'm a member of the group. Cortney.
As a small edit... My mom doesn't like my grandma's dog (even though he's adorable and cuddly), so there's a possibility that she may try to pawn him off on me.

A little dead in here now that the first round is done....

Haha, yup. I was just going through the posts from the first round to get an idea of the timeline. It looks like the acceptances went out on the 12th, a week after they met on the 5th. I guess I'll be looking for an email between the 20th and the 26th. Very exciting!

Can you tell me about how that works? Is it weekly? Or monthly? Labs are in Lubbock if I remember correctly? I don't like the idea of driving 2 hours for lab lol.

Hopefully you guys won't have to go through 5 torturous Saturdays like my class did. But it's on the P1 schedule for next Fall. They just haven't listed any dates yet. But with that said, I believe the Saturday labs are scheduled based on when the medical school students have their cadaver labs. Essentially they cut up the bodies and we just use the remains to learn (or not learn). I'd like to emphasize that these labs are extremely time consuming. To make things even worse, the labs do take place Lubbock and it really sucked for Abilene students cause we have to drive a farther distance than Amarillo students.

But basically how the labs work is that you are assigned into groups of about 7-8-ish at the beginning of the semester and your group is also given a number (e.g. 1A, 3B, etc). Prior to the Saturday labs, each group has to complete a worksheet that they are assigned to based on their group number. The worksheets consist of anatomy based questions such as labeling body parts, functions, conceptual questions, etc. When your group is finished filling out the worksheet, you submit it onto sakai (which is like blackboard). Make sure you know your parts really well!! I say that because when you get to the actual lab, you will be teaching other groups about your assigned station or as Dr Brinn likes to say "we are experts for our assigned portions." I attached a worksheet of another group from last semester so you guys can have an idea of what to expect. Once every group has submitted their worksheets, you can go download whichever worksheet(s) that you think is the best. You can print it out or download it onto your iPad or whatever works best for you. But take some caution when you download some of these worksheets cause you might find errors from time to time and our professors don't actually check any of them. Basically you just have to catch the mistakes early on or get screwed over.

Now the actual lab is pretty interesting. The first thing you need to do when you get to the lab is get with your group and start going through the worksheet that you should have already filled out. There was always something on the worksheets that required you to identify a certain body part on the cadavers but just cover the entire worksheet. I think we had about 15 minutes to go over our parts before splitting up into other groups (which Dr Brinn will explain in more details later on) and then people start teaching each other their parts. I'm sorry if my explanations are really confusing, but you guys will see it soon enough :)

After you get through every station, you're given time to eat lunch and you come back later to take the practical exam. You had to literally line up into this huge unorganized circle just to take the practical. There were 50 stations, 1 question each station. The exam questions were written by TA's and professors and they can vary from identifying body parts to conceptual questions.

Now during the lab, you are literally surrounded by dead bodies that have been soaking in preservatives for who knows how long. If you can't stand the smell of preservatives, I would suggest bringing some Vick's VapoRub and dab a little of that stuff beneath your nose. A lot of people found that pretty helpful in masking the smell of preservatives. Or if you can get your hands one one, bring a gas mask. One girl actually brought a legit gas mask to every lab.

Also, it would be helpful to go through all the worksheets the night before the labs. It would make the practical a whole lot easier for you, especially if you've never had A&P before. When I was doing the labs last semester, there really wasn't much time for us to study while we're in Lubbock. I remember one time they cut down our lunch time and you didn't have an opportunity to look at anything.

I hope this covers most of the questions that some of you may have about the labs. I rambled way too much and I'm sorry. But, feel free to ask me any other questions you may have about the labs, classes, school or whatever.

I know it has only been less than 3 weeks since I interviewed, but now that a lot of the Texas schools are starting to send out the acceptances, it's making me ancy about hearing back from Tech since it's my first choice!!

My interview was on Feb. 1st and Mike Schwettman said to expect to hear back anywhere from the 20th through the 25th of this month... but maybe someone has an update on what the adcom is up to now?

Does anyone know which specific day they're meeting or when they think they'll have decisions sent out?
Any information would be appreciated!

I know it has only been less than 3 weeks since I interviewed, but now that a lot of the Texas schools are starting to send out the acceptances, it's making me ancy about hearing back from Tech since it's my first choice!!

My interview was on Feb. 1st and Mike Schwettman said to expect to hear back anywhere from the 20th through the 25th of this month... but maybe someone has an update on what the adcom is up to now?

Does anyone know which specific day they're meeting or when they think they'll have decisions sent out?
Any information would be appreciated!

I think they begin meeting tomorrow for our interview date and for 2/8. I think the dates you mentioned are still valid dates to expect a response. From the last AdCom meeting, it looks like acceptances were sent out on the later side. I'd expect that, and don't be worried if you haven't heard by the 21st or 22nd. If you haven't heard by the 26th, it might be smart to give them a call. Best of luck!

Hopefully you guys won't have to go through 5 torturous Saturdays like my class did. But it's on the P1 schedule for next Fall. They just haven't listed any dates yet. But with that said, I believe the Saturday labs are scheduled based on when the medical school students have their cadaver labs. Essentially they cut up the bodies and we just use the remains to learn (or not learn). I'd like to emphasize that these labs are extremely time consuming. To make things even worse, the labs do take place Lubbock and it really sucked for Abilene students cause we have to drive a farther distance than Amarillo students.

But basically how the labs work is that you are assigned into groups of about 7-8-ish at the beginning of the semester and your group is also given a number (e.g. 1A, 3B, etc). Prior to the Saturday labs, each group has to complete a worksheet that they are assigned to based on their group number. The worksheets consist of anatomy based questions such as labeling body parts, functions, conceptual questions, etc. When your group is finished filling out the worksheet, you submit it onto sakai (which is like blackboard). Make sure you know your parts really well!! I say that because when you get to the actual lab, you will be teaching other groups about your assigned station or as Dr Brinn likes to say "we are experts for our assigned portions." I attached a worksheet of another group from last semester so you guys can have an idea of what to expect. Once every group has submitted their worksheets, you can go download whichever worksheet(s) that you think is the best. You can print it out or download it onto your iPad or whatever works best for you. But take some caution when you download some of these worksheets cause you might find errors from time to time and our professors don't actually check any of them. Basically you just have to catch the mistakes early on or get screwed over.

Now the actual lab is pretty interesting. The first thing you need to do when you get to the lab is get with your group and start going through the worksheet that you should have already filled out. There was always something on the worksheets that required you to identify a certain body part on the cadavers but just cover the entire worksheet. I think we had about 15 minutes to go over our parts before splitting up into other groups (which Dr Brinn will explain in more details later on) and then people start teaching each other their parts. I'm sorry if my explanations are really confusing, but you guys will see it soon enough :)

After you get through every station, you're given time to eat lunch and you come back later to take the practical exam. You had to literally line up into this huge unorganized circle just to take the practical. There were 50 stations, 1 question each station. The exam questions were written by TA's and professors and they can vary from identifying body parts to conceptual questions.

Now during the lab, you are literally surrounded by dead bodies that have been soaking in preservatives for who knows how long. If you can't stand the smell of preservatives, I would suggest bringing some Vick's VapoRub and dab a little of that stuff beneath your nose. A lot of people found that pretty helpful in masking the smell of preservatives. Or if you can get your hands one one, bring a gas mask. One girl actually brought a legit gas mask to every lab.

Also, it would be helpful to go through all the worksheets the night before the labs. It would make the practical a whole lot easier for you, especially if you've never had A&P before. When I was doing the labs last semester, there really wasn't much time for us to study while we're in Lubbock. I remember one time they cut down our lunch time and you didn't have an opportunity to look at anything.

I hope this covers most of the questions that some of you may have about the labs. I rambled way too much and I'm sorry. But, feel free to ask me any other questions you may have about the labs, classes, school or whatever.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INSIGHTFUL RESPONSE! You answered everything I wondered about. I appreciate you taking out the time from your busy schedule.

anyone who interviewed february 1st get any response yet? :confused:

according to the timeline they gave us, people who interviewed on 2/1 are suppose to be reviewed today (2/19) and offers will be extended sometime this week! Good luck!

according to the timeline they gave us, people who interviewed on 2/1 are suppose to be reviewed today (2/19) and offers will be extended sometime this week! Good luck!

Do you know what the date is for the 2/8 interview?

Did you interview on the 25th? I'm wondering if you were part of the table I sat at during our lunch break...we discussed about all pitching in for our own private jet! LOL!

I actually don't rmr anything about a private jet..although the Convo sounds interesting haha! I was part of the lunch table with all girls...only girl to order vegetarian food loll (that should eliminate everyone loll)

Does anyone know for sure if the adcom met yesterday? My status hasn't been updated in merlin

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using SDN Mobile

Does anyone know for sure if the adcom met yesterday? My status hasn't been updated in merlin

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using SDN Mobile

Is it possible to find out on Merlin before you find out via email?
I've been checking all day just in case haha.