Texas Tech 2012 Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FakePharmacist

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just submitted Texas Tech application for early decision. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! One of my coworkers just graduated from Tech and another is starting there this year, so I hope to join them.

Just submitted Texas Tech application for early decision. Anyone else?

OMG now im flipping out. I'm still working on my PS and I cant submit my apps until my retake summer calsses end on August 1! :eek: I hope august isn't too late in the app cycle for tech!

Heard they did grade replacement, which is why I am applying here. Their "life experiences" essay is killin me :oops:

OMG now im flipping out. I'm still working on my PS and I cant submit my apps until my retake summer calsses end on August 1! :eek: I hope august isn't too late in the app cycle for tech!

Heard they did grade replacement, which is why I am applying here. Their "life experiences" essay is killin me :oops:

No need to freak out i dont think. Its just early decision application right now.

I would think august should be fine. :)

From Tech's website (important dates and deadlines)

June 6, 2012 - Application opens for Fall 2013 for Amarillo and Abilene locations.

September 4, 2012 - Early Decision application deadline. Please see PharmCAS for information on requirements for Early Decision applicants. July 2012 is the last PCAT test date accepted for Early Decision Applications.
October 2012 - Early Decision interviews and offers.
December 3, 2012 - This deadline includes U.S. citizens and permanent resident aliens. All international applications must meet this deadline for consideration. This deadline is for the primary PharmCAS application and the supplemental Merlin application.
January 2013 - This is the last PCAT test date accepted for Fall 2013 Admissions Application. Note: PCAT’s taken prior to June 2009 will not be accepted.

Interview Dates (2013)
January 11 in Amarillo and Abilene
January 25 in Amarillo and Abilene
February 1 in Amarillo and Abilene
February 8 in Amarillo and Abilene
February 15 in Amarillo and Abilene
February 22 in Amarillo and Abilene
March 1 in Amarillo and Abilene
March 8 in Amarillo and Abilene
March 15 in Amarillo and Abilene
May 1, 2013 - All final Admission Offers Made

May 21, 2013 - Deadline for completion of General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, General Physics, Genera; Biology, Microbiology, 3000—level human-based science course and Calculus

July 31, 2013 - Deadline for completion of remaining prerequisites (Statistics, Economics, Public Speaking, English Comp I and II, Literature, and Humanities/Social Sciences.

I am working on my suppl essays on Merlin. Loving all the oppotunities they are giving us to explain our experiences! :thumbup: Anyone else applying Regular Decision?

I'm really interested to their student outreach programs and activies towards the general public.

My only biggest concern is that I'm out of state. According to their "student statistics", the previous entering class for 2011 was 150 residents and only 5 non residents! :scared:

I just got my PCAT scores back and spoke with admissions in Amarillo today. I am going to start working on my application tomorrow :) I am going to take a tour of the school this Tuesday, and am planning on applying for early decision but cannot decide which location to choose. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

I just got my PCAT scores back and spoke with admissions in Amarillo today. I am going to start working on my application tomorrow :) I am going to take a tour of the school this Tuesday, and am planning on applying for early decision but cannot decide which location to choose. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

I would think it's really up to where you want to spend your time for the next 4 years. If you're from Dallas I would definitely think 2 yr Amarillo and 2 yr Dallas is your best option. But then even if you're not from Dallas area, would you really wanna spend 4 years in Abilene? Only advantage I can think of is that Abilene is closer to Dallas/Fort Worth area than Amarillo. I think it's 3 1/2 hour drive.

I'm trying to get into the Abilene school early decision myself and I have a question do any of you know where to put research on the pharmcas application?

I'm trying to get into the Abilene school early decision myself and I have a question do any of you know where to put research on the pharmcas application?

I would think it depends.

I worked at a medical school doing both clinical and biomedical research for almost 3 years so I listed under my work experience.

If you volunteered, then maybe you could put that under extracurricular.

Hey guys, I'm doing regular decision. Had a question on early decision though. Is ED binding (in the sense that if you get admitted you can't accept or take another offer)? Just wondering because I'm applying to Texas Tech as well as A&M and UT (currently an undergrad here).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm doing regular decision. Had a question on early decision though. Is ED binding (in the sense that if you get admitted you can't accept or take another offer)? Just wondering because I'm applying to Texas Tech as well as A&M and UT (currently an undergrad here).

ED has its pro/cons. The adcoms usually want to take the best students into their program and "bind" them that they can't apply or go to any other schools, so mediocre students usually don't have the best chance. While that is the case, if a particular school cannot get enough applicant pool "size" or so to speak, they can cancel their ED for that year any time. While you may be selected for an interview, if they take too long to give you an answer (if this is the worse case scenario, let's per se rejection) then you have to quickly apply to other school as a regular decision. By then, schools that have rolling admissions will accept most of the applicants into consideration and you'll be late.

The good part about ED is if you are very confident that you want to go to the school and a patron, then it will save you a lot of time when you are accepted. :thumbup:

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it; I would just tell you to apply to other programs as well as this school to increase your chances. Submit your application early.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

I am actually intrigued to hear from someone who's actually gone through the early decision process and was accepted at Texas Tech.

Got acceptance call from Mike Schwettmann this morning. :D

What's crazy is that I just applied this June for 2013 entrance. They had an opened spot and decided to call me for some reason. So basically, I was accepted without even interviewing! :eek:

I have a week before the orientation and two weeks before the classes start!

Got acceptance call from Mike Schwettmann this morning. :D

What's crazy is that I just applied this June for 2013 entrance. They had an opened spot and decided to call me for some reason. So basically, I was accepted without even interviewing! :eek:

I have a week before the orientation and two weeks before the classes start!

really...? that is nuts...

Congrats!!! That is very exciting! Are you headed to Amarillo or Abilene? I visited Abilene last week and really loved it there so Im hoping to go there. Congrats again!

Thank you all! I am very excited! and yes, I was super lucky with no interview BUT only having 1 week to prepare for start of boot camp, getting ready to move and quitting job I started a month ago have been painful :(

I am going to the Amarillo campus.

Good luck everyone! :luck:

I would think it depends.

I worked at a medical school doing both clinical and biomedical research for almost 3 years so I listed under my work experience.

If you volunteered, then maybe you could put that under extracurricular.
Ok thanks mine was with the school but it was paid so I'm guessing work experience.

Does anyone know if a 80 composite is competitive? Especially for TTU and A&M (Maybe even UT?).

guys please i need an honest opinion...i plan to apply next summer and here are my stats so far. overall gpa 3.33
math and science 3.32
have not taken the PCAT yet and have been a pharmacy tech for 2 years now.
two of my science professors and two of the pharmacist i work with proposed to write me a strong letter of recommendation.
please i know my stats are not very hot but what chances do stand for Texas schools:confused:

guys please i need an honest opinion...i plan to apply next summer and here are my stats so far. overall gpa 3.33
math and science 3.32
have not taken the PCAT yet and have been a pharmacy tech for 2 years now.
two of my science professors and two of the pharmacist i work with proposed to write me a strong letter of recommendation.
please i know my stats are not very hot but what chances do stand for Texas schools:confused:

First thing they look at, I think, are your numbers. No matter how good other assets are such as rec letter, volunteer work, work experience, if you don't have at least their avg GPA and PCAT, your chances of getting an interview could be risky.

I just started my P1 and, in my opinion, some people seriously need more life experience to grasp the responsibility of being a pharmacist yet they are here because their GPA for the first two years of college was high and did well on PCAT.

Bottom line, I would raise your pre-req GPA and do well on your PCAT. Other things are secondary.

Everything was mailed priority today, except my transcript, which my school will be mailing tomorrow (I brought them a priority envelope so it will arrive sooner). I'm still waiting on one LOR from my PIC where I work.

I haven't done my essays yet, but I plan to get them done soon. I'm pretty sure I'll be deferred for regular admissions, I'm really just an average student, but I'd still like to try for Early Decision.

Everything was mailed priority today, except my transcript, which my school will be mailing tomorrow (I brought them a priority envelope so it will arrive sooner). I'm still waiting on one LOR from my PIC where I work.

I haven't done my essays yet, but I plan to get them done soon. I'm pretty sure I'll be deferred for regular admissions, I'm really just an average student, but I'd still like to try for Early Decision.

Romylove, My stats are worse than yours:scared: so please don't say you'll get deferred. I mean we ARE still early in the app cycle right?

. I am also working on my supplemental essays. The life experiences essay is very hard for me. I feel like I do have many unique experiences in my life, but none of them sound really powerful or they all sound cliche.:(

Good luck to you!:luck::xf:

Romylove, My stats are worse than yours:scared: so please don't say you'll get deferred. I mean we ARE still early in the app cycle right?

. I am also working on my supplemental essays. The life experiences essay is very hard for me. I feel like I do have many unique experiences in my life, but none of them sound really powerful or they all sound cliche.:(

Good luck to you!:luck::xf:
Special Life Circumstances is weird for me. How do I talk about being a poor, half Mexican kid raised by a single parent without coming off like Janice in Mean Girls?

I have an idea for the personal essay, and some for Life Experiences, but again, I don't want to come off as whiny.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the life experiences essay I'm not one to talk about myself like that. Also what are you guys stats I'm just wondering if I'm competitive for early decision. Mine are gpa 3.89 math and sciences 3.81 pcat 90 but chem 56 and math 51 but as of now just started o. Chem and no math yet.

Thanks to my school spectacularly FUBARing my transcript request and my credit union card not wanting to process online last night, I have missed the deadline for early decision. I plan to e-submit once I get the transcript thing sorted and put the fee money into another bank account.

Thanks to my school spectacularly FUBARing my transcript request and my credit union card not wanting to process online last night, I have missed the deadline for early decision. I plan to e-submit once I get the transcript thing sorted and put the fee money into another bank account.

Romylove! I'm really sorry to hear that. If I were you, I'd contact pharmcas and see if they can work around this bank and school issue. I personally think that a early submitted reg. decision app is just as good as a early decision app. I hope everything works out! I hope I am early, I'm still working on supplementals too and my pharmcas has not been verified yet:luck::xf:

Does it matter if we submit our application early or not, since Tech does not do rolling admissions? Will it effect our chances?

Technically Tech is rolling. Early apps get priority in selecting interview dates. The ealier your interview, the more space you are competing for. Good luck!

ouch. would submitting my application by Nov. 1st be too late?

Does Tech require you to send transcripts to the school or just to pharmcas?

Just found it odd that they put transcripts required under supplemental link in pharmcas

I got an email for an interview oct 5 or 6 anyone else gonna be there.

I'm not early decision. Regular decision.

After the debacle I went through and having the added stress of the new semester, I haven't even looked at PharmCAS in almost 2 weeks. But tonight I re-read my essays on PharmCAS and Merlin, and submitted both of my applications. I'm hoping to get the transcript debacle handled after work tomorrow.

Good luck I had issues with my transcripts as well but I wanted early decision so I called tech and they still put me in early decision. If you wanted to be early decision they might work with you also

Last edited:
If they're already sending out invites, isn't it probably too late? My transcripts should get to PharmCAS in a few days.

I was originally an ED applicant, but due to the transcript thing I didn't have everything in on time and could only get it sorted out today, almost 2 weeks after the deadline.

So, If we are not ED, should we be getting invites? :scared: Just worried if submitting my application for RD before the deadline has an effect on my chances of admission.

If they're already sending out invites, isn't it probably too late? My transcripts should get to PharmCAS in a few days.

Ya your probably right I called them the day of the deadline when I found out mine hadn't arrived yet.

So, If we are not ED, should we be getting invites? :scared: Just worried if submitting my application for RD before the deadline has an effect on my chances of admission.

I would think the earlier you apply the better your chances even for non ED but I doubt you will get an invite because this interview session is for ED unless I'm mistaken.

I called them today and I was told that the woman I talked to would tell the admissions guy (dean I suppose) that I'd like to be considered for an October interview if possible. She made no promises, so there's a slim ray of hope for an interview next month rather than waiting until January.

I called them today and I was told that the woman I talked to would tell the admissions guy (dean I suppose) that I'd like to be considered for an October interview if possible. She made no promises, so there's a slim ray of hope for an interview next month rather than waiting until January.

Well good luck they seem pretty understanding to me.