Texas Ob/Gyn Programs !!! Help me DECIDE :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did an away at UT Houston. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. My impression of this program differs greatly from what was written on the Interview Impressions thread.

Although I didn't apply there, I hear that Methodist Houston is well liked and has a nice group of residents there.
Again, I didn't apply to Baylor Houston, but I was under the impression that there was a lot of change/instability going on, and a malignant reputation.

First of all, I would be really careful about Baylor. They put on a good face at interviews, but like the above poster said, there is a lot of instability. they don't have any of their fellowships right now, from what I understand. They don't really have a hospital at the moment. And regardless of whether interviews were malignant this year, they have been in the past, and you have to consider what kind of people that attracts to the program. and what kind of attendings they didn't let interview this year.

The Hermann program is nice. The facilities are the best of the three. They are more academic than methodist, and if you're at all interested in fellowship, you would be better served there. but it's a bit of a sorority, for better or worse.

The methodist residents are really really great, but i think it's important to realize that it's not really a methodist program, it's st. joe's. Methodist is a beautiful hospital (with a great cafeteria), but you only spend a couple of months there for your entire residency. St joe's has no EMR. you can't even access up to date. there really aren't any computers for resident use at all. there is a ton of really great teaching. their board pass rates are fantastic. but it is definitely a community program. a lot of the attendings are great, but i have spent a lot of time with the program director, and i find him difficult to take in large doses.

I don't know much at all about the other 3 programs, but send me a message if you have anymore questions about those three.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Hermann program is nice. The facilities are the best of the three. They are more academic than methodist, and if you're at all interested in fellowship, you would be better served there. but it's a bit of a sorority, for better or worse.

I couldn't resist replying. This sums it up very well, except it's for the worse. Most sorority girls at least know how to socialize. With a few pleasant exceptions, I found the interpersonal skills, manners, and common courtesy of residents and some faculty towards med students and non departmental members to be incredibly stunted, if not lacking.

If you're interested in a fellowship, there are other programs that are better or of equal caliber in and outside of Texas, including those with much better fellowship placement minus the drama. Most of their chiefs go on to do general. One this year was applying for urogyn. Not sure if she matched. Frankly I don't see or understand the self proclaimed hype of their program...they need to get off their high horse. It's not like they're Hopkins.

First of all, I would be really careful about Baylor. They put on a good face at interviews, but like the above poster said, there is a lot of instability. they don't have any of their fellowships right now, from what I understand. They don't really have a hospital at the moment. And regardless of whether interviews were malignant this year, they have been in the past, and you have to consider what kind of people that attracts to the program. and what kind of attendings they didn't let interview this year.

The methodist residents are really really great, but i think it's important to realize that it's not really a methodist program, it's st. joe's. Methodist is a beautiful hospital (with a great cafeteria), but you only spend a couple of months there for your entire residency. St joe's has no EMR. you can't even access up to date. there really aren't any computers for resident use at all. there is a ton of really great teaching. their board pass rates are fantastic. but it is definitely a community program. a lot of the attendings are great, but i have spent a lot of time with the program director, and i find him difficult to take in large doses.

I don't know much at all about the other 3 programs, but send me a message if you have anymore questions about those three.

This is some appreciated insight and opinions.

I'll be sure to send you a PM.