Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Something along the lines of 'cautious optimism' does sound like something I might say....

Oh, and concerning Good Friday, technically we have a half-day, so it's possible that something could come out tomorrow morning but... I really wouldn't bet on it. I wouldn't start holding your breaths until next week.

--Garfield3d

Too bad. I went ahead and held it anyway. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in also! Got the email this morning, but I was accepted to UT and will be going there so an additional spot will be open! Congrats everyone!!

It's still settling in. I feel awesome. Now my OCD is making me wish they'd hurry up and send that admissions packet. My poor wallet is wishing someone would donate the $500 deposit. :D

Hey let it soak in. It is an accomplishment. When do you have to pay the deposit? Is it like 2 weeks after they sent the admissions packet?

I got in also! Got the email this morning, but I was accepted to UT and will be going there so an additional spot will be open! Congrats everyone!!

Me too! I got accepted this morning, but will be attending UT instead. I'm just nervous because I've never been to UT or Austin! Hope I don't get lost in the massive city/school. Anyway, I'll be opening my spot at A&M and TX Tech for someone else. It's all so very exciting! Congrats to eveyone, and good luck!

I got into A&M!

Still waiting for a spot at UT or Tech though, we'll see.

Does anyone know if they're sending all the acceptances today or also tomorrow?

Also, when did you receive your acceptance letter, can you give me the time? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply! and congrats on your acceptance! i'm hoping they're still sending acceptances out!:xf:

I'm in also!!! :D

I got my acceptance letter at around 9:30 am. :)

yay! i got in. this was my number one choice. I am just curious as to why people would choose tech over A&M other than location based reasons.

I'm in also!!! :D

I got my acceptance letter at around 9:30 am. :)

i also received my acceptance this morning @ 9:30 as well via email =)

yay! i got in. this was my number one choice. I am just curious as to why people would choose tech over A&M other than location based reasons.

texas tech is fully accredited while texas A&M is still candidate status;

the structure of both programs are also VERY different;

and for personal reasons, texas tech offers a joint PharmD/MBA pathway;

i also received my acceptance this morning @ 9:30 as well via email =)

texas tech is fully accredited while texas A&M is still candidate status;

the structure of both programs are also VERY different;

and for personal reasons, texas tech offers a joint PharmD/MBA pathway;

So I take it that you're leaving us to go join the Tx Tech's crew huh? :(

This is a GOOOOOD FRIDAY! :love:

To those that got accepted today and to those who will get accepted soon: HELLO FUTURE CLASSMATES!!!! :D

I'm toooo excited and seriously need to calm down! I have to start a fund raising soon to come up with the $500 though. :(

Personally, I'd rather be apart of the Texas A&M HSC than the Texas Tech University HSC. I know the Rangel College of Pharmacy isn't accredited yet, however, I have complete faith that the TAMUHSC wont drop the ball.

Also, the Rangel College of Pharmacy was set up in an under served area where pharmacists are in need. Wanting to help people by becoming a pharmacist is already noble enough but knowing you're helping those who really need you will add a certain quality to my education that I think other pharmacy schools can't quite provide in the same way.

After interviewing at several schools, it sounded like the students' community participation at A&M seemed the most critical. It sounded like it wasn't just for exposure to benefit the students but to actually benefit the community.

I imagine that course work at all pharmacy schools would keep me very busy with learning nitty gritty details that will fascinate me but, at the same time, stress me out too. So having this added purpose while getting my education will help me step back to see the bigger and more important picture.

I don't mean to sound cliche.. and I don't have anything against Tech or any other school. This is just how I feel. After all, every school will make you a pharmacist.. I will be spending 3 years at one of these schools so I'm trying to think which one will have the most desired effect on my outlook and compassion.

Anyways, I'm done! Congrats to all :D

anyone know how they sent out acceptance letters? for last year and the year before, did it take them 2 days to sent them all out or usually in a day and they'll sent out from if people decide to decline his/her acceptance? and congrats to all the people that got accepted!

As far as I can remember, letters continue to go out. Also remember that not everyone who is accepted is on SDN (unfortunately). From my experience another wave of letters will go out every two weeks as people accept or decline their spot. I remember getting a phone call from Dr. Robertson in May when I was accepted. So just wait and be patient. Good things come to those who wait......

Also Congratulations to those accepted. We will be seeing you next year!

if you guys don't mind sharing, will you give the rest of us an idea of what your gpa and pcat was...so we know where we stand. by the way, congrats you guys.

does a&m give a preference to those with a bachelors degree or plan on getting it after this spring semester is over?

I don't have a bachelors degree and I am about a year off from having one. MY PCAT was a 86 percentile with a 95 on my chem section ( : I only have a 3.4 GPA.

I wonder how the students at A&M will do on the NAPLEX. Tech usually has a very high pass rate. Also will they be fully accredited as soon as the first class graduates or sometimes afterwords? It would be reassuring if they obtained their certification before the C/O 2014 began attending.

The accreditation process as far as I know is pretty involved. The ACPE is actually coming April 13 - 16 (I think, I know there is a student luncheon with them on April 14) to see how the college is progressing and "grade" them. This is an intense review of the program and to then see if we will receive full accreditation status. It is true that a class has to graduate before full accreditation is granted, but there is also a meeting in June or so to officially determine if the college will receive Full Accreditation status. So there are a few more criteria to be met. As it stands now, as far as I know, the college is on track to receive full accreditation. So barring any immediate unforeseen disaster, the college should be accredited this Fall. I know that of the 30 guidelines graded by the ACPE, the college is the only new school to receive more than one exemplary mark, according to Dean Reddy at our last State of the College address. I understand those concerns some may have over accreditation, but know the college is moving in the right direction.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted. Good job! I had no idea A&M was still candidate status. It is great it is getting accredited soon, though. I have heard the school, in general, is great so I am certain they will not encounter any trouble :)
Pharm B, I knew you would get in!

Congratulations to some... good luck to the rest.

Someone up there mentioned something about P4 rotation cities. There are a number of zones available right now.

Kingsville-Corpus of course... the Valley... Waco-Temple-Killeen... College Station (and surrounding small towns)... Houston... and San-Antonio

In addition some students with East Texas backgrounds are working towards pushing a Tyler-Longview type zone which may or may not come to fruition. Dallas has also been batted around before with nothing to show for it.

Each zone can hold varying numbers of students...

Last edited:
What are the most common cities students serve their 4th year?

I hear people talking about the Temple area, Austin, San Antonio, South Texas / Coastal Bend, and the Houston area. Unfortunately, I don't know the breakdown on how many students rotate at each individual region.

I'm in! Just got the letter!

This is old news by now, but I want to jump on the boat and say congratulations on the acceptance letter! I'm glad to hear that you got in, and I'm looking forward to seeing you around next year.

Be sure to keep an eye out for a FedEx envelope from the college of pharmacy. It will have something that you need to mail back to Kingsville to confirm your acceptance to the college of pharmacy.

For the students who haven't received an invitation and may be on the wait list:
Anyone who has already received an invitation has 2 weeks to respond. From what I have noticed in previous years, typically people start getting pulled off the wait list 3 weeks after the initial wave of invitations (though, it may be faster than 3 weeks this time through).

People coming off the wait list generally receive a phone call from Dr. Robertson to confirm their status and to ask them if they would accept an invitation to the college. If you miss the phone call, don't worry too much. He'll leave a message, and you might receive an e-mail too.

The last two class sizes have been hovering between 85-90, so that may help put into perspective the number of invitations that will be sent out.

Again, congratulations to everyone who got in! And to those still waiting, be sure to keep an eye on your e-mail and to check your phone on a daily basis. I'm sure many people who haven't received news from the college will hear from them further down the line. In the meantime, best of wishes!

--Garfield3d

Hi I just into the A&M COP and found this post while searching for info

I had a few questions about living there
Is Javelina Station the main location for good furnished apartments for COP students?
What other furnished or non-furnished apartments can you recommend?

At my interview a P3 stated that alot of the COP students do live in Javalina Station.

On my acceptance letter it was stated that my acceptance was contingent on two things. Completion of pre-pharmacy coursework and maintaining or improving my GPA in pre-pharmacy coursework. Does anyone know how strict they are on maintaining or improving your GPA or what the cutoff is? Would a few C's cancel my admission to the program? :confused:

At my interview a P3 stated that alot of the COP students do live in Javalina Station.

On my acceptance letter it was stated that my acceptance was contingent on two things. Completion of pre-pharmacy coursework and maintaining or improving my GPA in pre-pharmacy coursework. Does anyone know how strict they are on maintaining or improving your GPA or what the cutoff is? Would a few C's cancel my admission to the program? :confused:

I would assume not. I saw that too and just dismissed it. I'm mailing my stuff in tomorrow some time.

As long as you're done with (and passed) pre-req's, you should be fine.

Shadow, any idea when you'll find out for sure from UT?
Have no clue, dude. If I get any response this week, I'll be psyched. Otherwise, I'll be sending my deposit in this weekend.

So...anybody want to be the getaway driver? I'm thinking of robbing a bank to get the $500. :D j/k

I turned in my $$$ right after I got the Fedex. That's the happiest $500 I've ever had to fork over...Hopefully it'll be the same for the >$100k over the next four years. I'm in Kingsville right now...I'm from north of Corpus. Going fishing this weekend to celebrate. Went to Yujufest last weekend to celebrate...I'm celebrating as much as possible...I don't think we'll have that much time when we're in the program.

Dr. Robertson is supposed to send out a massive e-mail talking about financial aid, orientation, etc. Orientation is supposedly in the 1st week in August.

Last year they gave out an optional summer assignment about the top 200 drugs. Do they provide their version of the list?

Dr. Stanberry gives out a list of Top 300 for patient care. A P2 said she'd give me the list...I have a book Safeway gave of the Top 200, but the list may be different...

Do you know when classes actually start? Does orientation lead right into school starting?

So...anybody want to be the getaway driver? I'm thinking of robbing a bank to get the $500. :D j/k

I turned in my $$$ right after I got the Fedex. That's the happiest $500 I've ever had to fork over...Hopefully it'll be the same for the >$100k over the next four years. I'm in Kingsville right now...I'm from north of Corpus. Going fishing this weekend to celebrate. Went to Yujufest last weekend to celebrate...I'm celebrating as much as possible...I don't think we'll have that much time when we're in the program.

Dr. Robertson is supposed to send out a massive e-mail talking about financial aid, orientation, etc. Orientation is supposedly in the 1st week in August.

Do you know when classes actually start? Does orientation lead right into school starting?

Orientation leads into class. Orientation is around the first week of August. I actually work on campus. I can ask Christie or Theresa tomorrow and post. I'll also ask a P2 to send me Stanberry's e-mail with the 300 drugs.

I will be declining my acceptance to A&M. Hopefully that opens up some optimism for those on the waitlist. Good luck and best wishes to all of you :thumbup:

Looking at the calendar I would assume classes to start August 16th (2010 of course) and for orientation to be August 9 - 13 (that is also when the P2s and P3s take Benchmark assessment exams - you will learn about these later). There is generally a pre-orientation some time in June that's when they go over a few policies and hand out the summer assignment - Top 200. I think I posted about this earlier in this thread. So there you go.