Texas A&M Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Streamed real-time, no. Recorded for your future use and made available online, yes.

2. Gross anatomy comprises most (all?) of the M1 quizzes. Can't actually think of any others we did, if any. They are collectively a small component of another component of a block grade; weighted just enough to be beneficial to you (they are to most people), but not so much to where you can expect a great big +5 to your final average.

3. Assuming your class doesn't change: for your first phase (August - December, containing four blocks), every two weeks. Each block has a mid-block exam (usually without a practical component) and an end-block exam (with a practical component). For your second phase, exams appear to be every two-three weeks with no practical component.

4. Traditional if anything. When you view your test results online, you'll see them as raw numbers, not just simply P/F.

Thanks for the response! This is really helpful. So with the exams... is it every two weeks with like a week of tests? Or are the tests on different days (i.e. biochem and histoloy exam on Monday... Anatomy Wednesday, etc.) Or on all of the tests on the same day?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! This is really helpful. So with the exams... is it every two weeks with like a week of tests? Or are the tests on different days (i.e. biochem and histoloy exam on Monday... Anatomy Wednesday, etc.) Or on all of the tests on the same day?

You will have a written test every 2-3 weeks and that test will cover all the material (Anatomy, Histo, Biochem, etc.) covered in that block. There are about 3 questions for every hour of lecture.

With gross, you will have a lab practical every 4-6 weeks (on the same day as your end-of-block exam). The practical will have a specimin component (structures pinned on cadavers), and a powerpoint component (questions based on images/histo slides etc.)

For our end of block exams, we would take the written before lunch and the practical after lunch.

All of the "science" stuff we're learning is tested together, but our Intro to Clinical Skills course is tested separately (so far, we've only had one test after a semester and a month of class). Humanities last semester had a couple of short assignments that weren't too much trouble, though some of the humanities electives this semester sound like they're asking a bit more of the students in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what rotations are available in Houston? How much time is allowed for away rotations? I know that technically affiliated rotations aren't away but let's say I wanted to spend a majority of my rotations in Corpus and Houston... would that be possible or do I have to do a majority in the area that I'm 'tracked' to. ie. CS or Temple.

Does anyone know what rotations are available in Houston? How much time is allowed for away rotations? I know that technically affiliated rotations aren't away but let's say I wanted to spend a majority of my rotations in Corpus and Houston... would that be possible or do I have to do a majority in the area that I'm 'tracked' to. ie. CS or Temple.

You won't do any away rotations until fourth year and to get a good answer to those questions you would have to ask a M3 or a M4.

I do know that during fourth year you can do away rotations anywhere you want.

You won't do any away rotations until fourth year and to get a good answer to those questions you would have to ask a M3 or a M4.

I do know that during fourth year you can do away rotations anywhere you want.

thanks for the response:) So if I'm assigned CS four years for example, I won't be able to rotate at S&W until 4th year?

thanks for the response:) So if I'm assigned CS four years for example, I won't be able to rotate at S&W until 4th year?

Hmm...not sure about that. You may be able to do a rotation at S&W third year since it is affiliated w/ TAMHSC. For that question you should really ask a M3 or M4.

Just so you know, the term "away rotation" means doing a rotation at a hospital that has no affiliation w/ your school. Students use them to check out other programs and make contacts.

For third year, you are assigned to either CS, Temple, or Round Rock, but have the option to do some rotations at one of the other campuses. You can also do peds (6 weeks) in Corpus, and family practice (6 weeks) in Beeville at a "rural" practice.

I am assigned to Temple, but will be doing surgery in Round Rock and peds in Corpus.

For rotations at other schools, you have to wait until 4th year.

when we do 6 week rotations at other campuses, what do we do about housing?

when we do 6 week rotations at other campuses, what do we do about housing?

There are extended-stay hotels and apartments that the school rents. You get to stay there.

A few questions:

1. What kind of financial aid does A&M offer? I haven't heard much from the school in terms of FAFSA, should I go ahead and submit this like students from other schools are doing? I'm a little worried that because A&M has an extra step in the process (matching to different tracks), we are getting the short end of the stick in the financial aid money pool.

2. Will there be a "welcome week" and/or other social-informational event where we can learn more about housing and meet our class, or do we take care of this on our own. I realize this might be hard to do since our class is split up at different campuses but it sounds like a worthy enough idea to assume that it's possible.

Thanks a bunch...

A few questions:

1. What kind of financial aid does A&M offer? I haven't heard much from the school in terms of FAFSA, should I go ahead and submit this like students from other schools are doing? I'm a little worried that because A&M has an extra step in the process (matching to different tracks), we are getting the short end of the stick in the financial aid money pool.

2. Will there be a "welcome week" and/or other social-informational event where we can learn more about housing and meet our class, or do we take care of this on our own. I realize this might be hard to do since our class is split up at different campuses but it sounds like a worthy enough idea to assume that it's possible.

Thanks a bunch...

1. My understanding is that they do offer some scholarship money, but other than that, yes, you should submit the FAFSA. They'll need yours to process your loan; and no, you won't be getting shafted because there are different campus designations. Nobody likes the financial aid process, but they do make sure that everyone's ultimately squared away, at least in my experience.

2. We had an orientation week where we did the usual meet and greet, take pictures for ID, have a whole bunch of presentations, that sort of thing. This was done separately for Temple and College Station though, and it'll be your first foray into the whole teleconferencing setup. As for housing, the staff will conduct an informal "roommate match" in the months leading up to the start of orientation in which everyone seeking a roommate can list their preferences, and that file is sent around to the class for everyone else to see it.

You've got SDN, probably a class mailing list before you get here to get @medicine accounts (if they haven't told you about this yet, they will), and Donna or Rachel -- campus depending -- to help you with housing since you won't want to be moving on the week before school starts.

(Oh, and one of the packets they send out will have details on quite a few places in the area, too.)

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know how likely you are of getting your first or second choice for tracks. i hope atleast 3rd choice is guaranteed.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how likely you are of getting your first or second choice for tracks. i hope atleast 3rd choice is guaranteed.

They try to accommodate everyone, especially if you have a reason (spouse, family, etc.).

Most people get their first choice. Nothing in this life is guaranteed.

Thanks for the quick response. I had a few more questions.

3. What is the usmle step 1 pass rate at A&M? How do the scores rank against the national avg?

4. Can a few of you describe a detailed "day in the life of" a typical A&M med student? How long does class run till, what do you tackle when you get home, do you cook a meal or go straight to studying, do you get time to watch Monday night football etc.

Thanks for the quick response. I had a few more questions.

3. What is the usmle step 1 pass rate at A&M? How do the scores rank against the national avg?

4. Can a few of you describe a detailed "day in the life of" a typical A&M med student? How long does class run till, what do you tackle when you get home, do you cook a meal or go straight to studying, do you get time to watch Monday night football etc.

3. I am an M1 so I am not sure what the official pass rate is but I do know that it is above the national average, and I personally know people who scored above 250.

4. During first semester classes typically go from 9-12 with the ocasional afternoon lecture. Afternoons are usually reserved for Gross and Histo labs. Thursdays and fridays were typically pretty light and we would always get 2-3 days to prep for an exam. Now that we are in our basic block (what used to be considered M2). Fewer people attend lecture and instead go through the material at home. there is an average 3-4 hour lectures per day and the material is more dense, but after a while you get the hang of picking out what is important.

5. For the most part people were able to keep up w/ football, etc. There will always be people who do nothing but study, but it does not have to be that way.

There will always be people who do nothing but study, but it does not have to be that way.

This. You might end up studying more or less than your fellow M1s when you start in five-ish months, but keep in mind that while medical school is undoubtedly rough, it doesn't mean that every.waking.moment is going to be spent in front of class material.

If you wanna do derm, then hey, buckle down and find out what you need to do to consistently be at the top of the pile. But by and large, there's a lot of truth to what seelee's saying.

Thank you very much for the insight...very helpful. I guess I'm just a little nervous. I'm also a little worried about moving right before/after my Step 1. Do any MS3/MS4 have any advice?

Hi New Classmates and Upperclassmen!

So nice to finally join this board! I've got a few questions myself. This one sounds silly but I might as well ask...

What is the best way to get from Dallas to College Station? On my interview, I swear my Magellan took me on a crazy journey. I-45 to a small one-lane road where I must've passed about four deer and some other creature crossing the road that forced me to slam on my brakes. There were no signs of human life besides a small forlorn gas station and maybe one or two houses. I honestly don't know the name of the road/highway. Plus it was at night...I felt like I was in a horror movie. :confused:

What is a more-populated, safe route (even if it takes a bit longer due to traffic. Other cars=relief)??

My second question pertains to an earlier topic on the board, board scores. I don't believe A&M disclosed this at the interview but what is the passing percentage? I'm sorry if this was already discussed and I missed it.

See you in July!

Hi New Classmates and Upperclassmen!

So nice to finally join this board! I've got a few questions myself. This one sounds silly but I might as well ask...

What is the best way to get from Dallas to College Station? On my interview, I swear my Magellan took me on a crazy journey. I-45 to a small one-lane road where I must've passed about four deer and some other creature crossing the road that forced me to slam on my brakes. There were no signs of human life besides a small forlorn gas station and maybe one or two houses. I honestly don't know the name of the road/highway. Plus it was at night...I felt like I was in a horror movie. :confused:

What is a more-populated, safe route (even if it takes a bit longer due to traffic. Other cars=relief)??

My second question pertains to an earlier topic on the board, board scores. I don't believe A&M disclosed this at the interview but what is the passing percentage? I'm sorry if this was already discussed and I missed it.

See you in July!
I remember Filo telling me the most recent board scores when I interviewed, so if you emailed someone in admissions you could probably find out.

As far as the transit, goes, I'm from fort worth and I always take I-35 south through Waco, then switch over to highway 6. The Dallasites I've spoken with also use 35, I believe.

Campus designations are in! I got my top choice.. how about you guys?:)

2+2 CS/Temple, first choice =)

are there any electives offered to foreign students?

are there any electives offered to foreign students?

I don't know what you mean exactly by your question, but there are no electives specifically for one group or another. Most of the electives offered are through the humanities department.

So, how does parking work for first and second years (and i suppose third and fourth years) out in Temple?

It looks like there's plenty of room from satellite maps.

So, how does parking work for first and second years (and i suppose third and fourth years) out in Temple?

In Temple, parking is free, but you are going to have a tough time parking close. It is not uncommon for me to have to park at the butt-crack end of the front parking lot. On the other side of the hospital though, there is plenty of parking.

It also depends on the day. The hospital hosts many conferences that utilize the same parking we do. On conference days, it can be tough to find a parking spot after 8, but on non-conference days, afternoons, etc. it is not a problem.

oh, whatever will I do without transportation services in my life?

has anyone received the packet with all the info (financial aid, housing, White Coat Ceremony, etc) that admissions was supposed to send out yet?

What are the popular apartment complexes in Temple amoung the medical students?

thanks!

What are the popular apartment complexes in Temple amoung the medical students?

thanks!

Pecan Pointe, Chappell Hill, Chappell Creek, The Bridge, Wildflower Villas (not as much), ... just depends on how close you want to be, and how much you're willing to spend.

Has anyone received the housing/fin aid info packet in the mail yet? They said it would come sometime in March

I'll throw in my hat for the Bridge here in Temple. It's cheap (630 for a 2 bed/1 bath), close to the hospital (7 minutes door to door), and is literally next door to a gym (The Summit). I like it here. Maintenance is prompt and efficient, management is friendly. Some people are leary because apparently some Section 8 housing is down the street, but we've never had issues and feel perfectly safe. My wife leaves the apartment and walks down the street to the gym at all hours and has never felt unsafe.

Can't wait to meet some of y'all! Enjoy these last couple of months!

I have a really odd question.

Does anyone know where the emergency rotation is during 3rd/4th year? Is it in Temple only or do you rotate in another city?

Hey guys,

I just got in today off the waitlist! I got into Temple/RR... and I wanted to ask if that's pretty much set. I don't really know much about the RR campus and I would have preferred 4 years at Temple or CS/Temple.

Also- anyone have insight into RR and the program there??

Thank you!!

I just got in today off the waitlist! I got into Temple/RR... and I wanted to ask if that's pretty much set.

It tends to be this late in the game. You can always try asking Amanda if there are any open slots for the other campus designations; it might also be possible to get put on a waitlist for one of them. I know for me, it was set.

Hey guys,

I just got in today off the waitlist! I got into Temple/RR... and I wanted to ask if that's pretty much set. I don't really know much about the RR campus and I would have preferred 4 years at Temple or CS/Temple.

Also- anyone have insight into RR and the program there??

Thank you!!
Congratulations! I think that for your first two years, it's pretty much set. However, I know that lots of people end up changing their minds about their campus preference and there are some people that are able to successfully switch to a different 3rd/4th year campus.

Thanks for the responses - I tried to call Amanda twice today but I'll try e-mailing her instead about the campus preferences.

Interestingly enough I was assigned to Temple/RR but I was also asked to fill out a campus preference form... not really sure what's going on here

Has anyone started a FB page for the incoming M1s?

To the person who asked about STEP 1 passing rates... Before the second round of tests (you will have the option of 6 extra weeks of studying if you feel that you need it) we were at 99% passing and an average of 229-231. The second round of test takers was small so I doubt it changed much. This was for the class of 2011 (I'm 2012)

About the campus designations. You have a few options. The first is to find someone who is willing to trade with you 1 for 1. They will usually do that. The other is not fun but it is what it is. From every class there will be people who don't advance to the next phase and have to repeat. There will be people who have to take a leave of absence and there may be people who flat out withdraw from school. This opens up spots. You might ask Dr. McCord about one of those spots at the end of your M1 year.

If anyone has questions feel free to message me. I am an M3 (CS first two years) in CS for my first rotation then Temple for the rest. So I am about useless for Temple info as far as living experience goes. Ask Sean about that :)

If anyone has questions feel free to message me. I am an M3 (CS first two years) in CS for my first rotation then Temple for the rest. So I am about useless for Temple info as far as living experience goes. Ask Sean about that :)

Speaking of asking... hey 2014ers, you have a month and a half until your orientation begins. If you have any questions whatsoever, now is a good time to post them!

Speaking of asking... hey 2014ers, you have a month and a half until your orientation begins. If you have any questions whatsoever, now is a good time to post them!

I am surprised we haven't seen "do we need the tablet?" and "how bad is the teleconference?" questions. Maybe Student Services were much more on the ball about getting info out early.