Texas A&M Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha ok that's what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure

Members don't see this ad.

I went to the tour in Temple last year after interviewing in College Station, and the admissions secretary told I didn't need to wear a suit, which was technically true. I went with khakis, a button-down and loafers, and felt kind of awkward on the tour with so many other people in suits. If you're going on an interview day where they'll be taking you around with interviewees, I would consider going with nice slacks and a tie/the female equivalent. That might be different if they have tours set up exclusively for admitted students, though.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the tour in Temple last year after interviewing in College Station, and the admissions secretary told I didn't need to wear a suit, which was technically true. I went with khakis, a button-down and loafers, and felt kind of awkward on the tour with so many other people in suits. If you're going on an interview day where they'll be taking you around with interviewees, I would consider going with nice slacks and a tie/the female equivalent. That might be different if they have tours set up exclusively for admitted students, though.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Mr. Sagat!

Hey ya'll MS-3 at A&M here.

I haven't looked through the thread, but just wanted to offer myself up there for questions and what not.

Thanks,

~Smiley

Hey Yall,

Just got accepted on Dec 21st (On my Bday) and boy was it the best Birthday ever. I will be attending here for sure!!

Is there a Facebook group for this class because I couldn't find it.

:):):):)

Hey guys, I got my offer the other day. I'm debating between El Paso, A&M, and TCOM now. I'm leaning towards A&M, but I dunno how I feel about moving from Austin to Aggieland. Anyone going to second look day in January?

Hey,
Yeah I created the facebook group like November 16th, I think the day I got accepted and no one joined. So I said I'm not gonna be the one guy on the A&M facebook group so I just deactivated it lol. Plus I realized I'm not sure where I want to go anymore.....but it was more because I was the lone member for a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I got my offer the other day. I'm debating between El Paso, A&M, and TCOM now. I'm leaning towards A&M, but I dunno how I feel about moving from Austin to Aggieland. Anyone going to second look day in January?
Just so you know, there are at least as many UT Austin grads in our class (2013) as Texas A&M grads.

Just so you know, there are at least as many UT Austin grads in our class (2013) as Texas A&M grads.

Haha, thanks man, thats really good to know. I'm leaning towards A&M right now. Whatre your thoughts on the Temple vs. College Station thing?

Hey,
Yeah I created the facebook group like November 16th, I think the day I got accepted and no one joined. So I said I'm not gonna be the one guy on the A&M facebook group so I just deactivated it lol. Plus I realized I'm not sure where I want to go anymore.....but it was more because I was the lone member for a while.

Haha its all good. Just join the new group on fb if you do decide to go to A&M. Good Luck !!

Will do, are you going to the second look ?

Yea, I'll be going to the Temple campus since I had my interview at CS. I actually had a trip planned to Miami, but I'll postpone that trip for this.:cool: Which campus will you be going to?

Yea, I'll be going to the Temple campus since I had my interview at CS. I actually had a trip planned to Miami, but I'll postpone that trip for this.:cool: Which campus will you be going to?

Yeah I'm going to the Temple campus too. I'm kinda excited to see everyone down there.

Anybody going to College Station for 2nd look day?

When is 2nd look day? I remember them mentioning it when I interviewed but can't remember when it is happening. If I can, I'll be going to the College Station 2nd look!

Pulled from an email dated 11/30 from AWB

" If you are interested in visiting either campus on January 6th, please e-mail our Coordinator of Admissions, Amanda Borths at [email protected] in order to receive further information. Please RSVP by Wednesday, December 23, 2009 and indicate which campus you are interested in visiting."

I would definitely visit and do the second look for the ability to see the Temple and campus and at the very least meet some of y'all, however, I cannot since I work full-time and it'd be too much of a political fight to get out of work. Also, I'm not in the facebook group and might hold off for a while since it's 100% public, and I'd prefer nobody at my work ever found out about my acceptance until I give my two weeks. I will monitor though and may out myself sometime....

Pulled from an email dated 11/30 from AWB

" If you are interested in visiting either campus on January 6th, please e-mail our Coordinator of Admissions, Amanda Borths at [email protected] in order to receive further information. Please RSVP by Wednesday, December 23, 2009 and indicate which campus you are interested in visiting."

I would definitely visit and do the second look for the ability to see the Temple and campus and at the very least meet some of y'all, however, I cannot since I work full-time and it'd be too much of a political fight to get out of work. Also, I'm not in the facebook group and might hold off for a while since it's 100% public, and I'd prefer nobody at my work ever found out about my acceptance until I give my two weeks. I will monitor though and may out myself sometime....

Congratz...I actually created the group and made it public.

However, does everyone think I should make it private ? I don't have an issue with that.

Congratz...I actually created the group and made it public.

However, does everyone think I should make it private ? I don't have an issue with that.

Thanks and to you as well!

No, I was not inferring or alluding that it should be made private by any means. I just wanted to post here and say that I would join but can't at the moment. ;) I see there are about six people in it, so don't get too lonely in there.

Let me look more into the facebook privacy settings.

I assume the dresscode is similar to what was worn during interviews...can anyone chime in? I hope the weather isn't too bad outside...I hear it's supposed to ice over on Wednesday :mad:

scratch the dresscode comment, looks like it was already discussed earlier :)

I'll be doing the second-look at CS. I'm pretty excited.

Does anyone know how many students of our class get directed to each route? I know they had a powerpoint during the interview day, did anyone happen to jot down that info?

hm, i sent in my RSVP for second look day last week and I never got a reply, I hope they got it. maybe ill call them tomorrow.

Thanks and to you as well!

No, I was not inferring or alluding that it should be made private by any means. I just wanted to post here and say that I would join but can't at the moment. ;) I see there are about six people in it, so don't get too lonely in there.

Let me look more into the facebook privacy settings.

Hey everyone, I made the FB group private now.
so, if anyone feels more comfortable joining now, then please do so. I think its better if we keep it private for now :)

I know school starts in July anyone know what day or even relative idea of what time of month?

I know school starts in July anyone know what day or even relative idea of what time of month?

Orientation is usually late in the month -- 27th, 28th, whatever that Monday is. Don't know if anything will be done differently this time.

Does A&M use textbooks or syllabi/packets in 1st & 2nd year?

Does A&M use textbooks or syllabi/packets in 1st & 2nd year?

Well, there are "required textbooks" and "required reading" -- but the lecturers provide either PDF handouts or PDF copies of their slides for your study. More packet than syllabus.

Well, there are "required textbooks" and "required reading" -- but the lecturers provide either PDF handouts or PDF copies of their slides for your study. More packet than syllabus.

do y'all recommend buying all/most/certain books? If so, would it be possible to know the titles?

PM'd ya -- suspect you'll get more answers here too.

Also, do you feel that the pdf lecture notes are sufficient for studying... or does it need to be supplemented with the textbooks?

Can any of the current students give advice on apartments near the College Station campus? What do they run cost wise and is there an area that houses mainly med students?

Also, do you feel that the pdf lecture notes are sufficient for studying... or does it need to be supplemented with the textbooks?

Can any of the current students give advice on apartments near the College Station campus? What do they run cost wise and is there an area that houses mainly med students?

1. In my opinion, yes, most of them are. Rarely will you see questions that appear only in a textbook.

2. I know there's a few CS people here -- I'm sure they'll chime in.

There are only a few books that you need to buy and DO NOT BUY THEM NEW!

You need to buy Netters.

You need to buy First AID

Other than that it is optional. Wait until orientation week to buy books. The M2s will be selling their used books for super cheap. You can also get used books from Amazon for cheap as well.

I spent less than $200 for all my M1 books and half of them I never cracked more than once.

My recommendation is study the hand outs and if you need further clarification turn to wikipedia. If that doesn't answer your questions then get the book from the LRU.

Obligatory don't buy the dad gum tablet unless you WANT ONE post.

We tried to tell people in the class of 2013, but some people didn't listen. Please save yourself the money. You just need a laptop with a working ethernet card.

I'm just curious what kind of software y'all run on them. I think exi said you need to be able to use a secure browser.

But, are there any apps that y'all use regularly or could use regularly?

edit: typo

Last edited:
I'm just curious what kind of software y'all run on them. I think exi said you need to be able to use a secure browser.

But, are their any apps that y'all use regularly or could use regularly?

As far as "software" goes in the typical sense, there isn't a whole lot that uniquely requires such-and-such program. Some things we do are done using Java applets, and the histology digital slideset is either via ActiveX or Java (for the non-IE users). Exams require that secure browser I mentioned, and the NBME exams require the NBME's in-house secure browser.

Both browsers come in Windows and Mac builds, so if you insist on using OSX and don't want to dual-boot, that's just fine.

Are you asking about software that people just use because they prefer it?

Thanks, exi.

So how do most of y'all take notes, pen and spiral notebook? Or do you use the syllabus and just fill in the margins?

I know some schools like tcom really push the tablet pc. Personally, like several of y'all, I'm not a fan of it.

Thanks, exi.

So how do most of y'all take notes, pen and spiral notebook? Or do you use the syllabus and just fill in the margins?

I know some schools like tcom really push the tablet pc. Personally, like several of y'all, I'm not a fan of it.

No problem.

And yeah, I wasn't sure if that's what you're getting at. Notes-wise, a lot of people choose to use OneNote. Some people have their own ways -- type notes into a .doc(x) in conjunction with handouts, use Notepad even -- and on the OSX side, Preview.app makes it easy to take margin-style notes via the comment functionality on existing PDFs.

Some people stick with the paper-and-pen route and are busily annotating and highlighting away in lecture. For the people that were pen/spiral fans in college (a group of which I was a part, might I add), you quickly find that the volume of medical school and the existence of lecture notes makes that an unappealing idea, at least if you're planning on taking a complete set of handwritten notes on everything as its presented in lecture.

Of course, if you choose to do that outside of class, I guess that's a possibility.

No problem.

And yeah, I wasn't sure if that's what you're getting at. Notes-wise, a lot of people choose to use OneNote. Some people have their own ways -- type notes into a .doc(x) in conjunction with handouts, use Notepad even -- and on the OSX side, Preview.app makes it easy to take margin-style notes via the comment functionality on existing PDFs.

Some people stick with the paper-and-pen route and are busily annotating and highlighting away in lecture. For the people that were pen/spiral fans in college (a group of which I was a part, might I add), you quickly find that the volume of medical school and the existence of lecture notes makes that an unappealing idea, at least if you're planning on taking a complete set of handwritten notes on everything as its presented in lecture.

Of course, if you choose to do that outside of class, I guess that's a possibility.

For the lappy question, I was more going towards what kind of laptop you need specs wise. Usually anything at any price off the shelf, even the sub $400 ones, will be more powerful than any of what you'll actually use in school. However, i'm not a med student so I don't know what programs they have y'all use. flash, java and activex are all pretty light on the processor.

thanks for the advice on the notebook front. Yes, that's whole I was raised in undergrad and will definitely reconsider.

For the lappy question, I was more going towards what kind of laptop you need specs wise. Usually anything at any price off the shelf, even the sub $400 ones, will be more powerful than any of what you'll actually use in school. However, i'm not a med student so I don't know what programs they have y'all use. flash, java and activex are all pretty light on the processor.

thanks for the advice on the notebook front. Yes, that's whole I was raised in undergrad and will definitely reconsider.

Ahh, I see. No, we don't use anything cycle-intensive, so no, you won't need the latest and greatest. Hell, a CPU going back several generations would work just fine.

Something with decent graphics hardware would be good if you're planning on using your laptop to view the online slides, but the histology lab is full of workstations with pretty large monitors for that.

Thanks guys for all of your input. I have a quick question about phones. Does anyone know if your outlook exchange is compatible with the android operating system? I like to make notes, emails, calendar, and task through outlook (grew accustomed to it through work) and need to be sure that android phones will work with it, otherwise I'll stick with blackberry or get an iphone.

Thanks again:)

Thanks guys for all of your input. I have a quick question about phones. Does anyone know if your outlook exchange is compatible with the android operating system? I like to make notes, emails, calendar, and task through outlook (grew accustomed to it through work) and need to be sure that android phones will work with it, otherwise I'll stick with blackberry or get an iphone.

Thanks again:)

If Exchange works seamlessly with Android (not sure, I'm not an Android user atm), then yes, ours will too.

Congrats to all the recently accepted Aggie Docs!

Cher25, I think I addressed some of your concerns on the other thread. PM me if you have any other questions.

Congrats to all the recently accepted Aggie Docs!

Cher25, I think I addressed some of your concerns on the other thread. PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info. I sent you a pm.

1. Are all of the lectures webstreamed? Are they available to watch afterwards via the web (i.e webct) or podcast?

2. Are there quizzes during the school year outside of exams? I noticed that Anatomy has quizzes... how heavily are they weighed and is this limited to Anatomy?

3. What is the frequency of the exams? (every two weeks, end of block, end of semester?)

4. Is A&M Pass/Fail grading or what is the grading system?

1. Are all of the lectures webstreamed? Are they available to watch afterwards via the web (i.e webct) or podcast?

2. Are there quizzes during the school year outside of exams? I noticed that Anatomy has quizzes... how heavily are they weighed and is this limited to Anatomy?

3. What is the frequency of the exams? (every two weeks, end of block, end of semester?)

4. Is A&M Pass/Fail grading or what is the grading system?

1. Streamed real-time, no. Recorded for your future use and made available online, yes.

2. Gross anatomy comprises most (all?) of the M1 quizzes. Can't actually think of any others we did, if any. They are collectively a small component of another component of a block grade; weighted just enough to be beneficial to you (they are to most people), but not so much to where you can expect a great big +5 to your final average.

3. Assuming your class doesn't change: for your first phase (August - December, containing four blocks), every two weeks. Each block has a mid-block exam (usually without a practical component) and an end-block exam (with a practical component). For your second phase, exams appear to be every two-three weeks with no practical component.

4. Traditional if anything. When you view your test results online, you'll see them as raw numbers, not just simply P/F.