Texas A&M Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AggieSean

Coffee is for closers
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-match offers went out today! Don't be shy...

Members don't see this ad.

Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Class of 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!
I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats you guys. M1 in Temple here. If anyone has any questions feel free to post them on the board or pm me.

Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Class of 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!
I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the Heroes avatar...:thumbup:

Congrats, 2014ers -- enjoy the acceptance letter and the time off. :thumbup:

accepted. man they sent a friggin novel with that email.

I do have a question for the current med students at A&M...

what kinds of scholarships do they offer if any?
if going to temple, are there any comfortable apts in the area.

I loved my time at the A&M interview and now that I got into my numero uno i'm stoked to learn more about it!

:) :D :) :D

I loved my time at the A&M interview and now that I got into my numero uno i'm stoked to learn more about it!

LOL so I called the school and asked about all the forms I got and then I asked hey..."So can you check to make sure it was me who was suppose to get the email" LMAO!! And of course they laughed and said yes it’s you. I'm just so happy and excited to not only get into med school but to get into a school I def. wanna go to

Anyways, I'm really conflicted as to where I would preference...College Station or Temple.

Hey I was thinking of making a facebook group....sound like a plan:cool:

Last edited:
has A&M shown up on the TMDSAS prematch acceptance page yet for you guys?

has A&M shown up on the TMDSAS prematch acceptance page yet for you guys?

Nope I didn't get that...I think it might show up after the official letter. I don't know kinda confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
any of you guys mail them the acceptance acknowledgement form? i cant seem to find an address....

There is not much in the way of scholarships, though I doubt that you are going to get much at any of the Texas schools. Texas medical education is already so cheap that even without scholarships it will be thousands less than what you will pay anywhere else.

I do remember that they gave small scholarships to out of state students so that they could get the instate tuition.

In temple there is housing a plenty. Lots of apartment complexes and even houses for sale and rent. We are renting a 3 bedroom house that is 5 minutes away from campus for 950. Split that between a couple of roommates and you are living pretty cheap.

Congrats you guys. M1 in Temple here. If anyone has any questions feel free to post them on the board or pm me.
Hey! I had a quick question. Do you know many at A&M who use macs? Or do you know if the IT department there will help with mac issues? Thanks!!

Hey! I had a quick question. Do you know many at A&M who use macs? Or do you know if the IT department there will help with mac issues? Thanks!!

There are quite a few people who use Macs. The official line is that they require a tablet PC, but you'll find that lots of students forgo tablets for "traditional" laptops, Macs, or even just printed notes and a trusty pen.

Unsure about the IT thing, but I'd think that they would give at least very basic advice.

so here's my soapbox moment about tablets. do NOT buy it unless you really super want one. i know IT will probably send you an e-mail about how it's required. i got that e-mail. then e-mailed them to ask them if it really was required and they said yes. so i returned the laptop i had just bought at best buy and had to pay a restocking fee and then paid more for a tablet that is worse than the laptop i had bought and today i am printing out all my notes and trusting to pen and paper. so unless you truly want one...don't waste your money.

i had another question. some schools require you to have a smartphone. some schools put their audio notes or other applications on itunes and such. would it be helpful, even if its not required, to have a smartphone...

i had another question. some schools require you to have a smartphone. some schools put their audio notes or other applications on itunes and such. would it be helpful, even if its not required, to have a smartphone...

Helpful for the sake of email, if that's your thing. Otherwise, it's pretty much a non-issue. Use whatever phone you want to use.

I use a mac and I am very happy with it.

the ONLY benefit of having a tablet is being able to handwrite notes in OneNote. Since most people can type faster than they can write, this is a non issue.

If you want to use a mac, you will need to install windows on it using Bootcamp or VMWare fusion for testing and if you want to use OneNote (which I recommend).

Either way, don't buy any extra software (or books for that matter) until orientation week. IT sells windows and onenote licenses for cheap. (I think WinXP was like $20 or something).

Obligatory don't buy the dad gum tablet unless you WANT ONE post.

We tried to tell people in the class of 2013, but some people didn't listen. Please save yourself the money. You just need a laptop with a working ethernet card.

Obligatory don't buy the dad gum tablet unless you WANT ONE post.

We tried to tell people in the class of 2013, but some people didn't listen. Please save yourself the money. You just need a laptop with a working ethernet card.

:laugh:

Listen to Sean. Required tablets... aren't.

Hey Everyone,
I'm having some problems picking between the different tracks, are there some negatives/drawbacks for each one. I like Temple because of the hospitals and College Station because I'll have my professors closer and more accesible, is there anything else I should consider?

Last edited:
LOL!!!
Will def. not by a tablet

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,
I'm having some problems picking between the different tracks, are there some negatives/drawbacks for each one. I like Temple because of the hospitals and College Station because I'll have my professors closer and more accesible, is there anything else I should consider?

Well, the only thing I'd add here is that with being in CS, while (most of) your profs will be physically closer, they are still readily contacted from Temple. I wouldn't let that be much of a deciding factor, if one at all, since I don't imagine many people spend lots of time in professors' offices. But that's just me.

Well, the only thing I'd add here is that with being in CS, while (most of) your profs will be physically closer, they are still readily contacted from Temple. I wouldn't let that be much of a deciding factor, if one at all, since I don't imagine many people spend lots of time in professors' offices. But that's just me.

+1 for this. Throughout the curriculum there are coordinators for each block, and there is one for College Station and one for Temple. The anatomy leader (Dr. Hubbard) here in Temple is outstanding and is fiercely dedicated to our education, and he will do anything he can to get you through. He has spent many a late night here with us helping us through complicated dissections, figuring out histology, and our neuroscience labs. Faculty access is no problem here in Temple. As well, many profs from CS make it a point to drive over here on the weekends and sit in the LRU with us (and of course Temple profs go to CS).

Here are some things worth considering when selecting a campus:
1. Do you like the idea of moving in the middle of med school? In fact you'll probably have to pack up and leave right after you take Step 1. If it's just you, maybe this isn't such a big deal, but I hate moving, so even if I was single I'd want to avoid it. Just me though.
2. Do you have a spouse who needs a job? Obviously it's better not to move. And I might be speaking from my arse here, but I think the job market might be slightly better in Temple because A&M grads will snatch up the jobs in CS (because they love it there so much), and you'll be closer to Waco, Round Rock, or (God forbid your spouse would have to drive there daily) Austin.
3. Do you want to be trained at Scott & White or at smaller community hospitals? There are distinct advantages to both. At the former, you'll be exposed to a wide range of pathology, a large group of specialties and subspecialties, and be trained in an academic setting (though I must say a very student-friendly academic setting). This comes with the fact that you will do a lot of learning from residents and fellows, perhaps (just perhaps, I can't be for sure and your mileage may vary) more so than from attending physicians. For the latter, you'll be in a smaller setting with fewer patients, however there won't be nearly as many (if any at all) residents or fellows between you and the attending. It's you and the staff physician. Both have positives and negatives.
4. Do you like the college town scene? While there is more to do in College Station, there are also more people, which means more "traffic" (I put it in quotes because it's not like Houston or Dallas traffic), and more crowded restaurants, etc. In Temple, everything is roughly 10 minutes apart and a bad day of traffic is having to wait at the 31st street light > 5 minutes. Temple is a great town to raise a family in and isn't far from Austin if that's your deal. Both towns have comparable costs of living, with Temple probably being slightly cheaper due to it not being a college town.

Just my $0.02.

-Sean

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

Congratulations on getting accepted!

I am a representative of the A&M Chapter of the Benjamin Rush Society.

We are hosting a formal debate on health care policy to take place on December 9th at 6pm.

The debate will be held in the Mayborn auditorium at the Medical Education Building in Temple and will be teleconferenced to LR1 in the Medical Building at the College Station Campus.

Anyone who is in the area or is able to make the drive to either of those locations is welcome to come.

If you have any questions or need directions feel free to PM me.

Cheers.

I was accepted into TAMU, and I am trying to decide which campus would be the best match for me. How likely is it that I will get my first choice for the campus? Also, is anyone doing the second look on January 6th?

I was accepted into TAMU, and I am trying to decide which campus would be the best match for me. How likely is it that I will get my first choice for the campus? Also, is anyone doing the second look on January 6th?

I'm doing the second look at the Temple campus, I interviewed at College Station. Where are you going the 6th?

I think most people got their first or second choice. I could be wrong, but I think that all 4 in Temple fills up pretty quickly because of the smaller class size.

I'm doing the second look at the Temple campus, I interviewed at College Station. Where are you going the 6th?

I will be going to Temple as well. I loved the college station campus, but I thought it would be wise to visit temple as well.

+1 for this. Throughout the curriculum there are coordinators for each block, and there is one for College Station and one for Temple. The anatomy leader (Dr. Hubbard) here in Temple is outstanding and is fiercely dedicated to our education, and he will do anything he can to get you through. He has spent many a late night here with us helping us through complicated dissections, figuring out histology, and our neuroscience labs. Faculty access is no problem here in Temple. As well, many profs from CS make it a point to drive over here on the weekends and sit in the LRU with us (and of course Temple profs go to CS).

Here are some things worth considering when selecting a campus:
1. Do you like the idea of moving in the middle of med school? In fact you'll probably have to pack up and leave right after you take Step 1. If it's just you, maybe this isn't such a big deal, but I hate moving, so even if I was single I'd want to avoid it. Just me though.
2. Do you have a spouse who needs a job? Obviously it's better not to move. And I might be speaking from my arse here, but I think the job market might be slightly better in Temple because A&M grads will snatch up the jobs in CS (because they love it there so much), and you'll be closer to Waco, Round Rock, or (God forbid your spouse would have to drive there daily) Austin.
3. Do you want to be trained at Scott & White or at smaller community hospitals? There are distinct advantages to both. At the former, you'll be exposed to a wide range of pathology, a large group of specialties and subspecialties, and be trained in an academic setting (though I must say a very student-friendly academic setting). This comes with the fact that you will do a lot of learning from residents and fellows, perhaps (just perhaps, I can't be for sure and your mileage may vary) more so than from attending physicians. For the latter, you'll be in a smaller setting with fewer patients, however there won't be nearly as many (if any at all) residents or fellows between you and the attending. It's you and the staff physician. Both have positives and negatives.
4. Do you like the college town scene? While there is more to do in College Station, there are also more people, which means more "traffic" (I put it in quotes because it's not like Houston or Dallas traffic), and more crowded restaurants, etc. In Temple, everything is roughly 10 minutes apart and a bad day of traffic is having to wait at the 31st street light > 5 minutes. Temple is a great town to raise a family in and isn't far from Austin if that's your deal. Both towns have comparable costs of living, with Temple probably being slightly cheaper due to it not being a college town.

Just my $0.02.

-Sean

Thanks a bunch, theres a bunch I didn't consider. I'm definitely going to put all of this in my consideration. I'm also doing the second-look at temple Jan 6th to see what I'll like the best.

Last edited:
Hey Doc and Chic are you both waiting on anymore Texas schools or are you for sure going to A&M?

Hey Doc and Chic are you both waiting on anymore Texas schools or are you for sure going to A&M?

I am going to A&M for sure. I only had one interview, which made it nerve wrecking, until i got the precious little e-mail November 17th :D

First off, I was pre-matched to A&M C/O 2014 and am very excited about the school! I'm one of those lurkers, but with the holiday season passing, I'm hoping to gather some information.

I'm just curious where y'all end up living and/or apartment complexes you recommend or would stay away from?

I'm fairly familiar with the College Station area and am doing a roughly 30 mile -- 45 minute commute every day as it stands now. So, I could definitely see myself doing a Rock Prairie commute to the college of medicine either at Reynolds or off of 47. Come to think of it, are there any places off of the Villa Maria and 47 intersection or somewhere off of 47? So much is being built in that area that I don't know what's planned and what isn't.

Any help would be appreciated!

Could anyone chime in with apartment complexes in Temple that have garages? :)

Since we're discussing apartments, are there complexes you'd recommend more than others? Also, are tehre any complexes at college station that come with garage access? How easy is it to find a roommate? Etc.

Hey guys!

I interviewed at Texas A&M about a month and a half ago.
Is it too late to have a good chance at receiving a pre-match acceptance?

I am really hoping to get in.
I was thinking that any later pre-matches would be given to people who interview in december.

Can anyone give me any info on the number of spots and if there are still pre-match positions available?

I want to know if I should be keeping my hopes up.

Thanks!

Hey guys!

I interviewed at Texas A&M about a month and a half ago.
Is it too late to have a good chance at receiving a pre-match acceptance?

I am really hoping to get in.
I was thinking that any later pre-matches would be given to people who interview in december.

Can anyone give me any info on the number of spots and if there are still pre-match positions available?

I want to know if I should be keeping my hopes up.

Thanks!

I could be wrong but I think that very few pre-match offers will be sent out after that first week. However, a lot will happen with the match so I would focus on that day.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity are there any medical fraternities at Texas A&M?

When can we can pick our campus/track preferences? :)

the admissions office will contact you.

for the tour in temple, what's the suggested dress code? and has anyone received anymore more information?