Test your knowledge...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunraveler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
21042009150.jpg

21042009148.jpg

21042009147.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Is this your homework or something?

Nope, lab prac work that I took pics of. I have the answer sheet anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, I hope your not a first year, because I don't know any of the answers off the top of my head... back to the books I guess.

If I may venture a guess. Note: I'm not a vet student :D

Just gonna guess on the first one as that's the only one I looked at so far, but anyhow:

1) Guessing inflammatory but that's just because there's a few monocytes present.

2) Neutrophils, monocytes, and looks like one lymphocyte.

3) Beats me. Maybe meningitis working its way up or something.

Station 5

Dx: Neutrophilic pleocytosis. There is a predominance of moderately well-preserved neutrophils. There are also a couple of large mononuclear cells and a lymphocyte. The three eosinophilic ‘blobs’ are likely nuclear remnants of damaged cells, and should be discarded when performing a differential count. Clearly, the predominant cell type is the neutrophil, hence this is a neutrophilic pleocytosis. Remember, normal CSF contains VERY FEW cells, and on a view like this you might expect to see one, or maybe two, cells, or perhaps none at all.

Station 3

Dx: Malignant spindle-cell neoplasm (sarcoma). Note that not all cells appear spindle-shaped, however some have a classic spindle-cell appearance (bipolar cytoplasm). We can be pretty confident that all cells represent the same population (staining characteristics are similar), therefore we can classify this as a spindle cell cell type. Plenty of criteria of malignancy are present, including anisocytosis, anisokaryosis, large nuclear:cytoplasmic ratio, prominent, often multiple nucleoli, an open (or euchromatic) chromatin pattern. All these features indicate that the cells are very active i.e. “malignant”.

Station 1

Dx: Lymphadenitis (there are much greater than 5% neutrophils in a background of red blood cells and lymphocytes / lymphoblasts, no evidence of neoplasia is present) A reactive lymph node (reactive hyperplasia) would be expected to contain fewer than 5% neutrophils, and a predominance of plasma cells and lymphpocytes at various stages of development. A picture of reactive hyperplasia is shown to the right. There are some neutrophils present, but they don’t predominate. Many plasma cells (look for the perinuclear clearing – the “Golgi zone”) are present.

thank you Theunraveler! The practical questions were interesting and provide some context for 1st year histology.