Failed NAVLE Practice Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevetter64

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just took my first ICVA practice test. I failed šŸ˜£ Iā€™m freaking out a little bit and questioning my study methods. I have a study guide that was past down to me. A lot of the questions on the practice test werenā€™t on my study guide so Iā€™m nervous. I also have Zuku. Any tips? Has anyone every solely used Zuku self testing and passed?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 take a minute and breath
Step 2 realize you still have a month to navle to study

Realize that any study guides passed down or Zuku or vetprep is not like the actual navle. Navle can ask you about anything from an obvious question like identifying a scalpel blade number to a question about a stripped zebra fish with a cough. Did you ever learn about the stripped zebra fish in school? No. That's ok! Navle can basically ask you about anything remotely related to vet med and its major concepts you should try and focus on.

Alot of people only use zuku or vetprep and pass navle every year. Use this time to brush up on areas you're falling short in. Remember the breakdown of navle and study where it counts! It will be okšŸ˜Š

Reactions: 1 user
I only used Zuku to study.

For my first ICVA test, I was in the barely passing range - I think my range predicted a 25%-33% chance of failure.

I don't remember how far into ZUKU I was when I did the practice test but certainly less than 50%.

I passed the NAVLE with a decent margin. I had done about 95% of Zuku before taking the real test.

For what it's worth, I thought the real NAVLE was easier than the first ICVA test.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally would focus more on a program like Zuku/VetPrep because theyā€™re are more widely utilized for studying and have certain money back or extended use if you donā€™t pass using their prep. Not to say that people donā€™t fail even using one of those methods, but I would feel a lot more comfortable following a more ā€œprovenā€ format versus something someone just gave you. (I used only Zuku and passed.)

Hello! I just took my first ICVA practice test. I failed šŸ˜£ Iā€™m freaking out a little bit and questioning my study methods. I have a study guide that was past down to me. A lot of the questions on the practice test werenā€™t on my study guide so Iā€™m nervous. I also have Zuku. Any tips? Has anyone every solely used Zuku self testing and passed?
If it helps at all, I used Zuku and the ICVA tests and passed with a very good margin. All my friends had vetprep instead and it freaked me out...but we all passed. My best advice is do as much of zuku under timed conditions as is possible, and then take the ICVA practice tests WITH the option to review even if it costs a little more. Most people (including myself and all of my vet school friends) think they failed on test day...but just prepare, BREATHE, and you will be okay.

I didn't use either service and my GPA placed me firmly in the bottom half of the bottom half of the class. I passed with room to spare. As someone mentioned above, the test can present you with anything. We're going back a ways, but I thought the questions were ridiculously heavy on epidemiology and avian medicine--topics in which we received even less instruction than in the practical stuff (which also left a lot to be desired). Even the top students in the class said that toward the end of the test, they were just choosing any answer they felt was remotely correct so they could finish up and go home.

Is it possible to share that study guide if possible?