Temple VS Albert Einstein.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a west coaster that recently was admitted to both Temple and Albert Einstein. I don't know too much about the schools aside from the stats, I would love some input on which may be a better choice based on sdn members insight. Thx for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a west coaster that recently was admitted to both Temple and Albert Einstein. I don't know too much about the schools aside from the stats, I would love some input on which may be a better choice based on sdn members insight. Thx for the help

In my mind there is no comparison Albert Einstein is much better than Temple...

Hello,

I'd go with Einstein. Better clinical exposure, smaller/more coherent classes, better facilities. Less likely to get mugged on the way to class (though still up there, it is the bronx). Great student housing setup. Probably cheaper too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to make this decision as well and I am choosing Einstein. Being in NYC is a huge asset, as you will find over the next four years. On top of that, Einstein is cheaper and generally considered a better school, whatever that means.

I love the Bronx--it is not exciting, flashy, or trendy. It is raw New York, as real as it gets, without any tourists or transplants. The borough gets a bad rap because of the crime and poverty plaguing much of its southern portion, but the northern stretches have some fine blue collar to upper middle class neighborhoods with no frills.

The truth is, nobody really goes to the Bronx except people who live there or for Yankees games, so much of what you hear about the borough is not based on experience. It's just a place where New Yorkers live. Again, not an exciting place to live, but not dangerous. At Einstein you'll still be in the shadow of Manhattan, and that is a great opportunity. You will have access to all the benefits of living in New York City and you'll go to Manhattan plenty--it will just take you a bit longer to get there.

Both Philly AND the Bronx will both be a huge culture shock for a west coaster. This is a good thing, in my opinion.

--someone who may or may not live in the borough bordering Manhattan to the north and east ;)

I'd go with Einstein. Better clinical exposure, smaller/more coherent classes, better facilities. Less likely to get mugged on the way to class (though still up there, it is the bronx). Great student housing setup. Probably cheaper too.

I'm not sure if Einstein has clinical exposure that is clearly better than Temple's. On what basis are you making that claim? Given the patient population that Temple University Hospital serves and the area it's in I'd argue that the clinical volume and exposure is on par with Einstein's. Also have you seen Temple's new medical school building?

Can't argue with the student housing though, Einstein has that locked down. But honestly the whole mugging on the way to class stuff is overrated in general. Literally, show me the data that students at Temple Med have a higher likelihood of getting robbed and I'll rest my case but otherwise everyone speculates when they say that.

Einstein is cheaper though, so I think that would personally be a significant factor for me. Also, Einstein is definitely more research focused (it requires you to do research) so that may better or worse depending on what type of career you want. Both schools have plenty of students that partake in research though.

I'm not sure if Einstein has clinical exposure that is clearly better than Temple's. On what basis are you making that claim? Given the patient population that Temple University Hospital serves and the area it's in I'd argue that the clinical volume and exposure is on par with Einstein's. Also have you seen Temple's new medical school building?

Can't argue with the student housing though, Einstein has that locked down. But honestly the whole mugging on the way to class stuff is overrated in general. Literally, show me the data that students at Temple Med have a higher likelihood of getting robbed and I'll rest my case but otherwise everyone speculates when they say that.

Einstein is cheaper though, so I think that would personally be a significant factor for me. Also, Einstein is definitely more research focused (it requires you to do research) so that may better or worse depending on what type of career you want. Both schools have plenty of students that partake in research though.

I agree with all of this, and I'm glad you brought up the things you did in your first paragraph, as I was about to say the same thing.

You're right, I have no numbers or anything to show if temple is more dangerous to attend. I do know that the area felt unsafe, and I definitely wouldn't want to live near by.

I do think that the Bronx has a more diverse patient population than inner city philly, but your right in that in both cases you'll be serving an underserved population with an overabundance of trauma and comorbidities.

Another thing about Einstein is that they are huge on international health, so if thats a big factor for you, I would pick Einstein.

I don't know much about Temple's hospital, but Einstein's amount and quality of clinical sites is pretty excellent, including the medical center on campus which is a public hospital operated by the city of NY (same as Bellevue)... aka really sketchy and fantastic place for hands-on training.

I don't know much about Temple's hospital, but Einstein's amount and quality of clinical sites is pretty excellent, including the medical center on campus which is a public hospital operated by the city of NY (same as Bellevue)... aka really sketchy and fantastic place for hands-on training.

This is the case with Temple as well; the campus and hospital are in the hood. There are also a number of other rotation sites in the Philadelphia area that are also in the less savory parts of town, a few in nicer parts of town, and in the burbs.

I don't know anything about Einstein's rotation sites. I loved Temple but I will fully admit Einstein is the more prestigious school, I'd think. It's just that when it comes to facilities and really awesome clinical training, those are two of Temple's strongest points.

At Einstein, didn't go interview at temple last year but just wanted to say as a fellow west coaster you can't go wrong with Einstein. This place has it all pretty much, good reputation, great housing with easy access to school, the community here is very tight and close knit with each class looking out for each other, and quite honestly even though there is a LOT of material no matter were you go they make the academics here absolutely easy. The administration bends over backwards to make things work, this yr they changed around the schedule for the second years to give them close to 8 weeks to study for boards. They provide all transportation for you through paid taxi's, third year you can get free rent in manhattan if you rotate at BI... The clinical exposure here is top notch not only due to jacobi and weiler which are on campus but also all of the monte and BI system which is basically only ours on top of that a ton of other places like LIJ, St. Barnabas ect... love it here:love: and I would say almost everyone in my class feels the same way - any questions pm me

I would go to einstein if only for purely financial reasons, as it is 50k for OOS students at Temple. Otherwise, I feel that although I have not personally applied to Einstein, Temple has really new and nice facilities and research opportunities. The University hospital is literally across the street from the new medical education and research building and from what I saw, everyone was super friendly. Again, I haven't interviewed @ Einstein so I cannot attest to rotations and the like but I would say they are probably comparable (Montefiere being the most notable). Einstein also has a better reputation as others have mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.