Telling schools about declining acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpdpt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you get accepted to multiple PT programs, do you tell the schools that you will not be attending? Or do you just not put the deposit down and they get the message?

Members don't see this ad.

The most professional thing to do would certainly be to reach out to the schools that accepted you and thank them for their consideration. I think it would be rude not to do that. For the time they spent thoroughly considering your application, I'd say that you owe them the correspondence. You probably dont need to go into detail as to why you didn't choose the program, but letting them know that you didn't is expected.

I agree. A very short, formal letter (even sent as an attachment in an email) should be adequate. Thank them for their consideration and that you appreciate that they see your potential and let them know you regret to inform them you will not be able to accept the offer to attend. Short and sweet. One thing one of my professor's always harped on us is that you never burn a bridge- you never know who you will run into throughout life as PT (we're a pretty small community!)

Thanks! That's what I planned on doing I just wanted to how other people handled it