Tell Us About Your Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi, all. I've got my first interview coming up next month, and I'm feeling cocky about perhaps getting a few more, but I'm really unsure of what to expect from each school. If you've had an interview, can you tell us where and how it was? Did they make you feel comfortable? What was the vibe? Interested in all experiences, but below is my list of places I may be headed for interviews (only the first is certain right now):

Mayo
Duke
Columbia
Emory
UAB
University of Florida

I'm really interested in everything about the environment, vibe, and people where you've gone. Tell us, please! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, all. I've got my first interview coming up next month, and I'm feeling cocky about perhaps getting a few more, but I'm really unsure of what to expect from each school. If you've had an interview, can you tell us where and how it was? Did they make you feel comfortable? What was the vibe? Interested in all experiences, but below is my list of places I may be headed for interviews (only the first is certain right now):

Mayo
Duke
Columbia
Emory
UAB
University of Florida

I'm really interested in everything about the environment, vibe, and people where you've gone. Tell us, please! :)
Hi! I’m a first year student in Mayo’s PT program right now. My interview last year was absolutely incredible. They work really hard to make the day relaxed and make you feel comfortable. You will get a lot of program information, meet the faculty and current students, go on a tour, see the anatomy lab, and then interview. Just be yourself in the interview! It isn’t bad at all and most people leave feeling pretty confident.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

I graduated from Columbia in 2015, my interview was in 2012, and I helped out with interviews as a student. From what I've heard from current students, the day hasn't changed much (although feel free to comment if you're there). It's a daylong process that involves a tour and socializing with students. At the end, you're paired up with a professor for a one-on-one interview. They will be familiar with your application, and usually try to match with you a professor with whom you have something in common. They ask typical questions about your essay and application, including basics like, "Why do you want to go to Columbia?" "Why do you want to be a PT?" "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" "Do you have questions for us?" etc.

I've also written more broadly about interviews as whole for the APTA: 5 Tips To Help You Ace Your PT School Interviews

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I graduated from Columbia in 2015, my interview was in 2012, and I helped out with interviews as a student. From what I've heard from current students, the day hasn't changed much (although feel free to comment if you're there). It's a daylong process that involves a tour and socializing with students. At the end, you're paired up with a professor for a one-on-one interview. They will be familiar with your application, and usually try to match with you a professor with whom you have something in common. They ask typical questions about your essay and application, including basics like, "Why do you want to go to Columbia?" "Why do you want to be a PT?" "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" "Do you have questions for us?" etc.

I've also written more broadly about interviews as whole for the APTA: 5 Tips To Help You Ace Your PT School Interviews

Good luck!

Thanks for the insight! I have my interview on Nov 8th. Do you know what time the whole day typically starts and ends?