TCOM (DO) vs. Hackensack (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PalaceLover

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently accepted to Hackensack, need to make a decision soon, thanks for any input! Currently wanting to pursue primary care/public health and engage in research in both these areas

TCOM (DO)
Pros
  • Amazing in-state tuition -> $150k CoA
  • Close to family, friends; have an extensive and close support system in TX
  • Know several current and incoming students as well as some faculty, familiar with the curriculum
  • Location -> Fort Worth and DFW offer plenty to do
  • Great research opportunities
  • Established rotations in Fort Worth
  • Want to do residency in TX so allows for better connections/networking
  • Non-Mandatory Attendance, lectures recorded
  • Enjoyed the vibe of the school much more (maybe biased since most students are also from TX), felt very collaborative and friendly
  • Large class of 230, very diverse both racially and background
  • Matches extremely well, considered one of the if not the best DO program

Cons
  • DO stigma for certain residency programs/specialties
  • OMM/Double board exams

Hackensack (MD)
Pros
  • Flexible 4th year allows for an additional degree or more research to strengthen residency application
  • MD degree should open more doors during residency match and even possibly later in career

Cons
  • Tuition -> $500k CoA
  • Intense 3-year curriculum with limited breaks
  • Location -> Close to NYC but still the suburbs, as a Texan the weather may take some adjusting to
  • Mandatory Attendance 8am-5pm almost everyday entire pre-clinical
  • Commuter school so not sure of ability to make friends, vibe also felt off, almost too rigid and professional if that makes sense
  • URMs almost non-existent, not diverse at all
  • Likely need to move for rotations after 1.5 years, lottery system
  • Lot of driving involved for rotations, NJ traffic lol
  • New school, okay match list on par with top DO schools. Lot of matches in NJ where I do not want to be long-term but that may be self-selection from local students.
  • School is still interviewing for this cycle which is wild to me... same situation as last year, not sure what's going on but the struggle to fill the class is not ideal obviously

Summary: Basically the only reason I'm considering Hackensack is for the MD/potential benefit come match. Is it worth the $350k extra (probably >$1M total difference w interest if I do PC) to match a more prestigious/better residency program? I despise the OR so the only competitive specialties I would ever consider are Rads/Derm/IM->Cardiology. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure this would make much of a difference but from what current students have told me, the preclinical mandatory attendance at Hackensack is 8am to 12pm most days

Reactions: 1 users
I go to Hackensack. Attendance is rarely mandatory and they are all recorded. And even if you choose to go to classes they usually end by 1 or 2 with some exceptions.

A little less than half of students have to move due to the lottery system. So I wouldn’t call that likely. But it is annoying. The positive to keep in mind is Hackensack has a hospital network so you will be placed at a location and won’t have to find your own clerkship site which I have heard some DO schools make you do (although I do not know if this applies to TCOM)

Obviously I can’t compare to a more traditional program but I never felt that the accelerated 3 year thing they do here has been that big of a burnout issue tbh. The main thing is you just have a shortened summer break after first year. Honestly as someone not even doing the 3 year program I think it’s a good thing because it allows more flexibility in the fourth year to prepare a resume for your residency app. In addition if you do the 3 year program that’s amazing, it’s one year less tuition and another year of attending salary you will get in your lifetime essentially turning it into a $300k+ net gain.

Overall I like the school and would recommend you choose Hackensack. Even with everything I stated above the main reason will be because the MD will be beneficial over the DO. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hackensack shouldn’t cost you 500k. Double check that. They could be over-estimating living expenses too, or you have to live a little further out than right near the campus.

If you want to stay in TX, TCOM would be fine.

Ultimately, you have to decide if paying significantly less tuition and having a support system is worth taking two set of board and having a harder time (though it is getting better) matching competitive subspecialties, I will say that TCOM looks much better here, but if even have some moderate interest in pursuing anything competitive (derm, plastics, ortho), go Hackensack

Even if COA was $125k per year at Hackensack, wouldn’t the three year curriculum make it $375k instead of $500k?

Either way, depending on what you want to do, various PDs at my recent PD residency match panel (OB, Ortho, Rads, Anesthesia, Ophtho, derm) said they do not consider DOs unless they do an away rotation with us. There’s still absolutely a bias, and I would not subject myself to it unless I had to. With that said, if you want to do primary care or anything more DO-friendly (my school’s anesthesia program is pretty top notch, but otherwise anesthesia is pretty DO-friendly), then TCOM is a great school at a great price. Being close to family is huge too. I would just say that if you choose to go that rout, set your expectations appropriately as your opportunities will be more limited compared to your MD counterparts.

Hackensack shouldn’t cost you 500k. Double check that. They could be over-estimating living expenses too, or you have to live a little further out than right near the campus.

If you want to stay in TX, TCOM would be fine.
They estimate $115k CoA yearly x4 so maybe closer to $450k if I cut costs. I do love TX but also have an open-mind and feel like I could live/practice in many states/cities.

Even if COA was $125k per year at Hackensack, wouldn’t the three year curriculum make it $375k instead of $500k?

Either way, depending on what you want to do, various PDs at my recent PD residency match panel (OB, Ortho, Rads, Anesthesia, Ophtho, derm) said they do not consider DOs unless they do an away rotation with us. There’s still absolutely a bias, and I would not subject myself to it unless I had to. With that said, if you want to do primary care or anything more DO-friendly (my school’s anesthesia program is pretty top notch, but otherwise anesthesia is pretty DO-friendly), then TCOM is a great school at a great price. Being close to family is huge too. I would just say that if you choose to go that rout, set your expectations appropriately as your opportunities will be more limited compared to your MD counterparts.
I’m not interested in the 3 year program so would have to pay tuition the full 4 years. I worry about residency bc of what you mentioned in that even the best DO schools get lumped in with the rest of the DO schools when it comes to PD selections.

Ultimately, you have to decide if paying significantly less tuition and having a support system is worth taking two set of board and having a harder time (though it is getting better) matching competitive subspecialties, I will say that TCOM looks much better here, but if even have some moderate interest in pursuing anything competitive (derm, plastics, ortho), go Hackensack
Yeah that’s the conundrum isn’t it, right now I’m not interested in anything competitive but in a couple years I might fall in love with something extremely competitive

I would go to TCOM; DOs still match into most of the competitive specialties and TCOM is arguably the most well regarded DO school in the nation. For example, I think the USDO ortho match rate this year was around 50% while it was around 70% for USMDs; not ideal, but still not impossible. I can't imagine the potential benefit of going MD when you're not even sure if you're interested in a super competitive specialty being worth $375k.

Reactions: 2 users
This might be the only situation I would recommend the DO school over the MD one. TCOM is very highly regarded, and in Texas it matches incredibly well. Its match list is on par with low tier MD programs. Seeing as your goal is to go to Texas I would choose TCOM

Reactions: 2 users
Probably DO but you have to be comfortable with matching FM, IM, Peds etc. look at the most recent DO match rates. Things like anesthesia, rads, etc. becoming very competitive

Probably DO but you have to be comfortable with matching FM, IM, Peds etc. look at the most recent DO match rates. Things like anesthesia, rads, etc. becoming very competitive
Going to TCOM, I would be very comfortable matching primary care given the low debt I would have. I feel that going MD in this case would “force” me to choose something more competitive/lucrative even if its not my real passion

I would go to TCOM; DOs still match into most of the competitive specialties and TCOM is arguably the most well regarded DO school in the nation. For example, I think the USDO ortho match rate this year was around 50% while it was around 70% for USMDs; not ideal, but still not impossible. I can't imagine the potential benefit of going MD when you're not even sure if you're interested in a super competitive specialty being worth $375k.
Yeah the extra debt does not seem worth it. Maybe if I was deadset on rads/surgery

I worry about residency bc of what you mentioned in that even the best DO schools get lumped in with the rest of the DO schools when it comes to PD selections.
I've read that there is a bias for TCOM graduates in TX vs other DO schools, but take my words with a grain of salt.