Creighton PHX vs. UACOM-P vs. Hackensack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMagicDude

Reaction score
Help me decide between:

Creighton University School of Medicine - PHX
Pros:
  • 60k scholarship for first year, 50k for MS2-4. I will graduate with 51k debt at the end of it.
  • Close to home, I will be able to live at home.
Cons:
  • Catholic school, values really do not align much.
  • New program in PHX
  • H/P/F curriculum
  • Research might be harder to find

Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Pros:
  • Full-ride scholarship will pay for COL - zero debt
  • P/F curriculum
  • No ranking
  • Can finish in three years, affiliated residencies
Cons:
  • Want to stay close to home
  • Far away from my support system
  • Fairly new program

University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
Pros:
  • Close to home, I will be able to live at home.
  • Have very well-established connections with faculty
  • Have an extensive support system in the school
  • P/F curriculum
  • Students appeared very happy, and their vibes were much better than any other school.
Cons:
  • No financial aid yet, but I will apply for a primary care scholarship as that is where my interests align. Without aid I will graduate with 150k debt.

Other acceptances: University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson, Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University, Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham Marnix E. Heersink School of Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine, University of Nebraska College of Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine.
WLs: UCLA, UCSD, Albany, and NEOMED.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it comes down to deciding what matters more to you: Being close to home or being in as less debt as possible.

If its the first, I would probably try and get Arizona to send you the financial aid offer and then see if they could match Creighton. If they match it, then go there since P/F and being close to home are major pros.

If its the latter, then Hackensack would be the way to go. It may be a new program, but it has an extensive hospital network in NJ with its own residency spots. If you don't see yourself practicing in the northeast area, then narrow your list down to Arizona and Creighton.

PS - congrats on your success this cycle! 13 As is wiiillldd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey just curious when did you hear back about scholarships from Creighton Phx ? I got accepted too and wondering if I should abandon hope or not

Hey just curious when did you hear back about scholarships from Creighton Phx ? I got accepted too and wondering if I should abandon hope or not
I heard from them back in December!

I think it comes down to deciding what matters more to you: Being close to home or being in as less debt as possible.

If its the first, I would probably try and get Arizona to send you the financial aid offer and then see if they could match Creighton. If they match it, then go there since P/F and being close to home are major pros.

If its the latter, then Hackensack would be the way to go. It may be a new program, but it has an extensive hospital network in NJ with its own residency spots. If you don't see yourself practicing in the northeast area, then narrow your list down to Arizona and Creighton.

PS - congrats on your success this cycle! 13 As is wiiillldd.
Thank you! Yeah tbh I think UACOM-P might be the place I’ll be attending if they give some sort of scholarships!